Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Melifonwu is very intriguing to me....we haven't had an athlete like that since Sean Taylor....If we had a glaring need for a FS, I would have no problem taking him at 17.

I really want someone who can play the slot and FS...3 players that fit the bill.....Budda, Chidobe Awuze and Desmond King.....could be there in the 2nd round.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

My personal choice, Hooker, Adams, Allen slipping to us. Or Howard.

These are all great choices.  I have not considered them as options because I honestly don't believe they will be available.  I guess Howard could be a possibility. 

14 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Latest word out of Ashburn ... Skins to surprise by grabbing David Njoku at 17.

As long as the pick is BPA then I'd be happy. The success or failure of this draft will result from what we do with rounds 2-4 when those 4 picks could seriously strengthen our roster.....or not if we screw it up....

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

My personal choice, Hooker, Adams, Allen slipping to us. Or Howard.

I'd go with this and be beyond jazzed except for Howard.  I think Howard is a great player but IMO a killer RB does more for the offense than another TE even a good blocking one.    But wow if they could add a killer safety like Hooker or Adams a DT of Allen's caliber.

And if Foster's red flags check out, I'd be more than happy with him -- but first choice for me is Reddick.  I am betting now that Foster does drop to #17.  I've been catching up on draft buzz and it seems like Barnett is likely going before our pick.  Ditto Trubisky.  Maybe Watson-Mahomes.  Some buzz on Mike Williams going before #17.  If all of that goes down and lets say Conley goes top 16.   Chances are some team takes an O lineman even in this draft. Chances are good there will be a surprise player dropping to #17.

Lets play with for example M. Hooker

Lets say these guys go in the first 16

Garrett

Fournette

McCaffrey

Adams

Allen

Lattimore

Conley

Williams

Barnett

Trubisky

Watson

Howard

Thomas

Reddick

Mahomes

Ramczyk or Robinson or Lamp or Dawkins

Then you got Hooker dropping to #17.  You can play this game with Allen or Adams, too. Or for that matter with Reddick.  This also presumes Foster drops past #16, and if some team loves him its still feasible that he goes top 16.   That would make it all even more probably.  Heck I've seen Cook go to the Colts in some mocks.  Cook IMO is a big wild card, he's all over the map.  Hot spot seems to be #19 but he can fall later or some team that loves him could take him earlier than that.

3 hours ago, carex said:

saw Mel Kiper Jr predcit we could get Cook in the second round afters seeing a bunch of people think we need to grab him in the first  Apparently he has shoulder issues and character issues?  Why has no one talked about this

Not sure if you are joking? 

But if not there has been plenty of talk here about this for weeks, including a recent debate as whether he ends up in the 2nd round.   I think he ends up in the late first and there is a shot he's taken at #19 by Tampa.  I'd be surprised but it wouldn't shock me if he ends up in the 2nd.  I explained why in previous posts.  

I saw one ESPN mock (one of those back and forth ones with 2 people picking) and if I recall it was Kiper ironically that had Cook as the first pick in the 2nd round or maybe it was McShay.  And I commented on it here previously. I doubt he'd drop all the way to the #17 pick in the 2nd round.  But heck if so, I'd love it.

I'm not going to get out of the hospital until Friday, so I expect a a well organized in depth writeup on our 1st round pick when I get home.

Or complete and utter pandemonium. I'll leave it up to you guys. Just keep my seat. :)

I really hope I they have a decent cable plan there, I might be able to watch the draft from there, but I can't count on it. Probably will be stuck with HGTV or something. :rofl89:

I'd be fine with Njoku. He's got monstrous upside, and the highest ceiling of all the prospects and Jordan's a concussion or two away from retirement. I think we could afford to wait on TE with guys like Shaheen, Butt, and Engram to name a few available later. We need to grab one of these guys because Jordan is going to retire sooner rather than later considering his concussion rate, and building the offense around a TE w/his concussion history is beyond moronic and short sighted, and w/this TE crop being either the best ever, or tied for it, we have to take advantage of it. Howard, Njoku, Shaheen, Engram and Hodges are tweeters so I'm not sure about them, but Butt also would be of interest.  Doesn't have to be at 17, but I'll be incensed if we don't make a serious effort to land either a top 5 TE prospect (probably Njoku, Howard, Shaheen, Everett, or Butt) or one of the tweeners (Engram is the only one I'm satisfied with right now). Due to the depth of the class I still think we can get get a top 4 prospect by our round 2 pick, but if we trade down to the back of round 2 our only top end option would be Butt in late round 3 or early round 4 if the injury pushes him to day 3. 

So @Gibbs Hog Heaven dared me to come here to say that in our actual ES GM mock draft, as the GM of the Jacksonville Jaguars I was about to draft Christian McCaffrey at #4 and would have done it if the Bears, picking at #3 didn't went with Jamal Adams... Which forced me into Malik Hooker instead of McCaffrey.

There's lots of reports linking him to the Redskins, and that would be marvelous for Gruden that would have lots of fun lining all over the backfield and playing 3rd downs on 1 & 2...

Guy can just do it all...

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd go with this and be beyond jazzed except for Howard.  I think Howard is a great player but IMO a killer RB does more for the offense than another TE even a good blocking one.    But wow if they could add a killer safety like Hooker or Adams a DT of Allen's caliber.

And if Foster's red flags check out, I'd be more than happy with him -- but first choice for me is Reddick.  I am betting now that Foster does drop to #17.  I've been catching up on draft buzz and it seems like Barnett is likely going before our pick.  Ditto Trubisky.  Maybe Watson-Mahomes.  Some buzz on Mike Williams going before #17.  If all of that goes down and lets say Conley goes top 16.   Chances are some team takes an O lineman even in this draft. Chances are good there will be a surprise player dropping to #17.

Lets play with for example M. Hooker

Lets say these guys go in the first 16

Garrett

Fournette

McCaffrey

Adams

Allen

Lattimore

Conley

Williams

Barnett

Trubisky

Watson

Howard

Thomas

Reddick

Mahomes

Ramczyk or Robinson or Lamp or Dawkins

Then you got Hooker dropping to #17.  You can play this game with Allen or Adams, too. Or for that matter with Reddick.  This also presumes Foster drops past #16, and if some team loves him its still feasible that he goes top 16.   That would make it all even more probably.  Heck I've seen Cook go to the Colts in some mocks.  Cook IMO is a big wild card, he's all over the map.  Hot spot seems to be #19 but he can fall later or some team that loves him could take him earlier than that.

Unless I missed it, I'd like to see a full 1st round mock.

i could see the Ravens taking roster or Robinson with all the intel he gets from Alabama.

7 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Unless I missed it, I'd like to see a full 1st round mock.

This isn't my mock draft, this is combing through other mocks saying if they have any merit there is a shot Hooker or Adams or Allen land at #17.  It's unlikely but not impossible that one of them land at #17, latest mock to do so was one of Kiper/McShay's back and forth mocks they did on TV where Hooker lands at #17.  If I recall right, Kiper had Hooker at #17 in his first mock -- months back.  I am not counting on it happening but I think there is a small/fighting chance it does. For one of those guys to drop, we'd have to get lucky. 3 QBs pushed into the top 16, a WR, an O lineman in the mix among other things.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This isn't my mock draft, this is combing through other mocks saying there is a shot Hooker or Adams or Allen land at #17.  It's unlikely but not impossible that one of them land at #17, latest mock to do so was one of Kiper/McShay's back and forth ones that did on TV where Hooker lands at #17.  If I recall right, Kiper had Hooker at #17 in his first mock -- months back.  I am not counting on it happening but I think there is a small/fighting chance it does. 

I know that, but I'm just stating I'd like to see one.

2017 SFM Mock Draft

1. Browns - Myles Garrett

2. 49ers - Solomon Thomas

3. Bears - Jonathan Allen

4. Jags - Leonard Fournette

5. Titans - Marshon Lattimore

6. Jets - Jamal Adams

7. Chargers - Malik Hooker

8. Panthers - Christian McCaffrey

9. Bengals - Derek Barnett

10. Bills - O. J. Howard 

11. Saints - Taco Charlton

12. Browns - Mitch Trubisky

13. Cardinals - Mike Williams

14. Eagles - Gareon Conley

15. Colts - Takkarist McKinley

16. Ravens - Haason Reddick

17. Skins - Reuben Foster

18. Titans - Corey Davis

19. Bucs - Dalvin Cook

20. Broncos - Garrett Bolles 

21. Lions - Jarrad Davis

22. Dolphins - Forrest Lamp

23. Giants - Ryan Ramczyk

24. Raiders - Zach Cunningham 

25. Texans - Deshaun Watson

26. Seahawks - Cam Robinson

27. Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes

28. Cowboys - Marlon Humphrey

29. Steelers - Jabrill Peppers

30. Packers - Tre White

31. Falcons - Charles Harris

32. Saints - Adoree Jackson

Thoughts ?

Here's my own leading up to our pick.  This is a version where we don't get lucky with no surprises in the first like I mentioned in a previous post.  So on this one no O lineman goes and I ignore some of the other occasional buzz like C. Harris or McKinley or Charlton could sneak up into the top 16 or one of the others corners like Humphrey.  Ross occasionally sneaks into the top 16.  Only lucky part of this mock draft would be I have three quarterbacks going top 16.  

1. Browns:  Garrett

2. 49ers: S. Thomas

3. Bears. J. Adams

4. Jacksonville: Fournette

5. Titans: M. Lattimore

6.  Jets: Trubisky

7. Chargers:  M. Hooker

8. Carolina:  McCaffrey

9. Bengals:  Jonathan Allen

10.  Bills: D. Watson

11. Saints: H. Reddick

12. Browns:  OJ Howard

13. Cardinals:  Mahomes

14. Colts: R. Foster

15. Eagles:  M. Williams

16. Ravens. G. Conley

17. Redskins D. Cook.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure if you are joking? 

But if not there has been plenty of talk here about this for weeks, including a recent debate as whether he ends up in the 2nd round.   I think he ends up in the late first and there is a shot he's taken at #19 by Tampa.  I'd be surprised but it wouldn't shock me if he ends up in the 2nd.  I explained why in previous posts.  

I saw one ESPN mock (one of those back and forth ones with 2 people picking) and if I recall it was Kiper ironically that had Cook as the first pick in the 2nd round or maybe it was McShay.  And I commented on it here previously. I doubt he'd drop all the way to the #17 pick in the 2nd round.  But heck if so, I'd love it.

As you know, I don't think it's a joke.

Id put the odds of him going top 15 @ 5%

odds of going 16-25 @ 20%

odds of going 26-35 @ 20%

odds of going 36-50 @ 40% 

odds of going 51+ @ 15%

rough odds. I think his most likely drops are:

@17 to us

@19 to Tampa Bay

@ 21 to Detroit

@ 23 to NYG (here they want to take a RB though it sounds like McCaffrey

@ 24 to Oakland

@27 to KC

@29 to GB

@30 to Pitt (hearing they're unsure about paying Bell top dollar)

@32 to NO(hear this pick could go back to NE)

Round 2:

@34 to SF

@39 to NYJ

@40 to Caro

@41 to Cincy

@42 to NO

@43 to Philly

@44 to Buff

@46 to Indy

@47 to Balt

@49 to us

@50 to TB

@53 to Det

@55 to NYG

@56 to Oak

@58 to Sea

@59 to KC

@61 to GB

@62 to Pitt

@64 to Caro

If I were to guess his landing spot I would agree that it's either 19 to the Bucs, or he falls to probably KC @27, GB @29, SF @34, Carolina @ 40 or between 42-50 where there are literally 7 different teams that could be interested. 

Remember to consider:

Fournette is most likely to go 4th to the Jags or 9th to the Panthers. 

McCaffrey. seems most likely to land with:

14th to the Eagles: if they break their tradition

15th to the Colts

16th to the Ravens

17th to us

19th to the Bucs

23rd to the Giants

24th to the Raiders

27th to the Chiefs

He's definitely a guy who could go via trade up. 

Then we have Cook, Mixon, Perine, Kamara, Foreman, McNichols, and maybe some team in love with Conner's personality and story going based on system's and needs and of course Mixon's off field issues. 

Perine, Foreman, and Conner: seems like Us, NYJ, Carolina, Oakland, Detroit, Green Bay, and Pittsburgh

Kamara, Mixon, Cook, and McNichols: seems like Us, Tampa Bay, NYG, Oakland, KC, Cincy, New Orleans, Philly,  Buffalo, Indy, Baltimore, KC, GB, Pitt and Carolina.  

Just my random thoughts. 

I'm curious what we'll target at RB if we don't land McCaffrey or Cook. Who would we want? We already have the slow power guys in Jones and Kelley, and the satellite back in Thompson. Are we gonna target a guy that combines satellite skills with potential bell cow talent w/15-20 touches a game like McCaffrey or like Cook, Mixon, and maybe Kamara and McNichols? Are we going to go w/a between the tackles monster like Perine or Conner or Hunt, or Foreman (though he doesn't run like his size suggests he will). 

I honestly have no idea who the team likes. If McC was still around I would be imagining he'd be focused on Fournette, Perine, Conner, Mixon, or later guys like Hunt, Brian Hill, and Jamaal Williams. 

I fully expect us to get a RB, but I'm not sure what they want, and whether they're more satisfied with Kelley as a potential big two down back or Thompson as the satellite guy. Which guys job is more secure? Do they want competition for Kelley, or Thompson? Do they want someone who can do both roles so they can cut how many RB's they need on the roster? I think Kelley makes for a great backup RB, our own Starks, in the sense that he gets what's there, and the offense won't fall off a cliff if he needs to spot start against most teams on the schedule, Thompson seems easier to replace than Kelley's ability to spot start, especially considering the quality of the next two drafts including this years at RB. 

16 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

As you know, I don't think it's a joke.

Id put the odds of him going top 15 @ 5%

odds of going 16-25 @ 20%

odds of going 26-35 @ 20%

odds of going 36-50 @ 40% 

odds of going 51+ @ 15%

rough odds. I think his most likely drops are:

@17 to us

@19 to Tampa Bay

@ 21 to Detroit

@ 23 to NYG (here they want to take a RB though it sounds like McCaffrey

@ 24 to Oakland

@27 to KC

@29 to GB

@30 to Pitt (hearing they're unsure about paying Bell top dollar)

@32 to NO(hear this pick could go back to NE)

If I were to guess his landing spot I would agree that it's either 19 to the Bucs, or he falls to probably KC @27, GB @29, SF @34, Carolina @ 40 or between 42-50 where there are literally 7 different teams that could be interested. 

Remember to consider:

Fournette is most likely to go 4th to the Jags or 9th to the Panthers. 

McCaffrey. seems most likely to land with:

14th to the Eagles: if they break their tradition

15th to the Colts

16th to the Ravens

17th to us

19th to the Bucs

23rd to the Giants

24th to the Raiders

27th to the Chiefs

There is some buzz Jacksonville might take Fournette and if so Carolina supposedly likes McCaffrey's too and might take him.  Some talk McCaffrey goes to the Saints at #11. 

I think at the moment I am coming around to your point of view about buzz about Cook dropping to the 2nd, since that's definitely getting hotter and it wouldn't surprise me if all of a sudden we see Cook in the 2nd round in most of the mocks that come out this week.  I still think though he's unlikely to get past Tampa at #19.   And I hope Tampa takes him if we pass on him -- because I don't want to see him in NY.

The buzz though on Mccaffrey seems to be hot that he could go #10 or doesn't get past the Saints at #11.   If we pass on Cook at #17 and I think he almost for sure drops to #17 -- only shot I think he goes earlier is the Colts or maybe a slight chance he goes to Philly.  Then yeah in that case I'd wonder too.  I haven't really spent the time on running backs that I have on some other positions like edge rusher, D line, secondary.  

I need to refresh my research on the running backs.  I recall months ago when I gave more energy to it, I was cool with Mixon or Kamara in the 2nd.  In the third I liked Hunt and Perine was growing on me.   The article you put a link to on the thread makes a good case for Conner.  I plan to go through that article more carefully later today.

Just want to give my two cents from Panther rumblings and other draft rumors I've heard, so add this to your boards if you're interested -

Panthers tier 1 prospects at 8; 

1. Garrett

2. Fournette

3. Adams

4. Thomas 

Panthers extremely high on Fournette. Rumors are Bengals are too, so competition for Jets 6th pick is pretty intense. If Jax passes on Fournette, Bengals and Carolina will be putting a full court press for the 6th pick. 

Jets want a lower pick than 9 overall, but they'll be entertaining offers nevertheless.

Panthers tier 2 prospects at 8: Order is unsure; fluxuates based on who picks who. Howard does have more love over CMC though apparently, but depends completely on how the draft goes.

-Howard

-Conley

-McCaffrey

-Barnett

-Hooker

Word is Falcons want to trade in 15-20 range for Willis. They're supposedly really high on him for some reason, or another edge rusher to play opposite Beasley.

Bills talk of getting a QB is all smoke. No one believes they're actually interested.

Browns want to trade up with #12. Not a surprise there at all, but Jets likely a possible suitor. They really want to trade with the 49ers or Bears if possible, but they see it as unlikely. Jets like Mahomes a lot and Conley. They feel either of those will be available lower, so they want to rack up as much value as possible.

One player the Giants have shown strong interest in is Houston's Tyus Bowser, miscast in a 3-4 scheme with the Cougars. Many feel he has Jamie Collins qualities, especially the Dolphins, making him the prime target for the team in South Beach before the Big Blue can get around to picking. It could lead to a nice consolation prize though, as many scouts feel that Florida's Jarrad Davis is making a strong push to get with a linebacker-needy team in the bottom third of the opening round.

The Giants also feel they can get their future edge rusher in the second round, with the favorite name being bandied about as Florida State's DeMarcus Walker, who some teams feel could also handle a few snaps each week as an under tackle in addition to coming off the flank. Youngstown State's Derek Rivers has also drawn considerable attention in East Rutherford, but some on the staff seem to prefer local product Tanoh Kpassagnon emerging late in the second round as a viable option if Walker has already been selected. 

If the team waits until the third round to get another pass rusher, Alabama's Ryan Anderson could fill that need, either on the edge or at strong-side linebacker. They have also shown similar interest in oft-injured Florida product - Alex Anzalone, but those medical reports are the only reason the Gator will still be there late on Day Three.

Just some rumbling's I've heard to allow you to change focus for the draft.

^ that write up is really convincing on Mixon.  Some team will be getting a potentially top 15 type player in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd?  That video is hard to watch but I wonder how the Skins feel about a 3rd round pick on him if he was there.  Doesn't seem like this front office takes many chances on potential problems (Galette only recent player i can think of and he was via FA).  Its nice that this team has a record of being among those with the fewest arrests.  Thoughts on if he would be worth the risk/backlash with a 2nd round pick?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000801726/Mayock-Foster-is-still-a-top-20-pick

Nice little video on Re Foster.  If he is available, our future GM, Mike Mayock says he is a top 20 pick all day long, I tend to agree all day long with that assessment.

I think he is just too good to pass, you can help and fix people, you have to trust your organization.  Foe those saying that he is only good because of the players around him, tell me who isn't.  Ray lewis is not the same linebacker without Siragusa and Adams keeping him clean from lineman getting to the second level.

My Mock Draft for the Redskins

1. Re. Foster ILB Alabama

2. O. Melifonwu  S Uconn

3. D. Tomlinson DT Alabama

4. B Kayaa QB The U

4. D. Fields OLB Risk v Reward Louisville

5. P. Elfein C Ohio St

6. B. Braden G Michigan

6. M. White DB FSU

7. D. Daniels TE Washington

7. C. Clement RB Wisconsin

What do you guys think

Note used NFL.com Mock Draft as a general reference.

Keim is so hung up on EDGE rusher, EDGE rusher, EDGE rusher for the Redskins that I'm actually starting to get a little worried that we will reach for an inferior EDGE prospect at #17 with better talent sitting there.  That would be a huge mistake. 

John Keim: That’s easy. The Redskins want an edge pass-rusher – and I think they want one in the worst way. Their offseason goal has been to improve the third-down defense and to do so they must upgrade the pass rush.

It really depends on who is available at 17. If Reddick is there, I could see him being the pick. If he’s not then I could see Missouri end/linebacker Charles Harris being the guy. And if he’s gone then possibly Kansas State’s Jordan Willis. See the picture being painted?

They’d go this direction for a few reasons: Trent Murphy's four-game suspension and pending free agency in 2018; Preston Smith not showing them more last season and Junior Galette coming off two missed seasons because of Achilles’ tears.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31037/pass-rusher-high-on-draft-list-but-reuben-foster-would-be-tempting

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Keim is so hung up on EDGE rusher, EDGE rusher, EDGE rusher for the Redskins that I'm actually starting to get a little worried that we will reach for an inferior EDGE prospect at #17 with better talent sitting there.  That would be a huge mistake.

John Keim: That’s easy. The Redskins want an edge pass-rusher – and I think they want one in the worst way. Their offseason goal has been to improve the third-down defense and to do so they must upgrade the pass rush.

It really depends on who is available at 17. If Reddick is there, I could see him being the pick. If he’s not then I could see Missouri end/linebacker Charles Harris being the guy. And if he’s gone then possibly Kansas State’s Jordan Willis. See the picture being painted?

They’d go this direction for a few reasons: Trent Murphy's four-game suspension and pending free agency in 2018; Preston Smith not showing them more last season and Junior Galette coming off two missed seasons because of Achilles’ tears.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31037/pass-rusher-high-on-draft-list-but-reuben-foster-would-be-tempting

I could not agree more.  Great post.

Archived