Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Generic "Former Redskin" Thread

Switchgear

18 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Ah, Ok.  I misread it.  Yeah, the whole Eastern Division sucks this year.  I'm a Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan.  They are my CFL team.  I don't know why.  I just started rooting for them a few years ago when they started showing CFL games on NBCSN and now ESPN.  I try to keep up with the scores every week.  Not sure why I picked the Blue Bombers.  Maybe their name?  I'm hoping the CFL finally makes a decision and gets a 10th team to balance the divisions.

I'm not as big as a fan as I used to be.  I'm born and raised in Ottawa and it's been a ****show for franchises here, but have been on board with the Redblacks since day 1, mainly because of the people involved in running the team.  Grew up an Argo fan tho.

Blue Bombers.  Not sure how old you are, but Mike Sellers was a beast in Winnipeg.  Not overly huge rushing yards, a bunch of TD's but demolished people as a runner and blocker.

4 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I'm not as big as a fan as I used to be.  I'm born and raised in Ottawa and it's been a ****show for franchises here, but have been on board with the Redblacks since day 1, mainly because of the people involved in running the team.  Grew up an Argo fan tho.

Blue Bombers.  Not sure how old you are, but Mike Sellers was a beast in Winnipeg.  Not overly huge rushing yards, a bunch of TD's but demolished people as a runner and blocker.

I'm 48.  Used to watch the CFL on ESPN in the 80s.  I remember that Sellers played for the Bombers.  I tell you what, I've been screaming for them to sit Drew Willy for a while and put in Matt Nichol.  Ever since the QB change, they've been playing much better.  I can't stand Willy.

Cool that you switched to the Redblacks.  They've done pretty damn good for an expansion team.  I think they are there to stay.  Much more solid then the Renegades (previous expansion team) were and maybe even more stable then the Rough Riders.

Where would you like the next franchise to be.  I hear a lot about the Maritime area (Halifax, Moncton area), but I'm not sure that would work in the long run.  Maybe the short term.  I'm partial to Quebec City getting a team.  I think they are far enough away from Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton to make it work.  Quite frankly there aren't really a lot of spots left. 

I've heard they'd like to go to 12, but I think that would be unrealistic, unless they came back to the states again.  But that won't happen.  Cool talking to you about this.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

I'm 48.  Used to watch the CFL on ESPN in the 80s.  I remember that Sellers played for the Bombers.  I tell you what, I've been screaming for them to sit Drew Willy for a while and put in Matt Nichol.  Ever since the QB change, they've been playing much better.  I can't stand Willy.

ETC......

I'm impressed.

Ottawa is much better off without the likes of Horn Chen or the Gleiberman's etc.

I'd love for the east coast to have a team, but true I don't know if it would work in the long run.  I honestly think 1 more team is a maximum for this league.  Quite frankly there is not enough talent going around.  Plus the CFL seems to be doing alright financially right now, expanding might be a big mistake.  There are pros and cons to expanding again.

OMG, expanding to the USA, can't do that again.  That Baltimore team was stacked.  Mike Pringle was a beast of a RB.

Staying on topic a little bit, lol.  An "ex Redskins" from 1998.....A hometown boy from here in Ottawa signed as an undrafted free agent in 1998.  A 6'3 WR, whom I played against growing up.  Was a big and powerful WR.  His name was Ousmane Tounkara.  He signed with Washington and never got an opportunity.  He basically said he was so far down the depth chart and "they knew who they wanted".  At that time our starting and "best" WR's were M.Westbrook, A.Connell and L.Shepherd.  Norv was not a fan of an undrafted free agent from Canada.  He had another offer from Miami and in hindsight should have signed there.

38 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I'm impressed.

Ottawa is much better off without the likes of Horn Chen or the Gleiberman's etc.

I'd love for the east coast to have a team, but true I don't know if it would work in the long run.  I honestly think 1 more team is a maximum for this league.  Quite frankly there is not enough talent going around.  Plus the CFL seems to be doing alright financially right now, expanding might be a big mistake.  There are pros and cons to expanding again.

OMG, expanding to the USA, can't do that again.  That Baltimore team was stacked.  Mike Pringle was a beast of a RB.

Staying on topic a little bit, lol.  An "ex Redskins" from 1998.....A hometown boy from here in Ottawa signed as an undrafted free agent in 1998.  A 6'3 WR, whom I played against growing up.  Was a big and powerful WR.  His name was Ousmane Tounkara.  He signed with Washington and never got an opportunity.  He basically said he was so far down the depth chart and "they knew who they wanted".  At that time our starting and "best" WR's were M.Westbrook, A.Connell and L.Shepherd.  Norv was not a fan of an undrafted free agent from Canada.  He had another offer from Miami and in hindsight should have signed there.

Yeah, I think 10 teams should be the max for the CFL.  I think the last spot is between Quebec and the Maritimes.  I've been impressed with the league turning around their finances.  I think it's on it's best foundation in years.  And they are doing it right by making sure the next expansion team is viable and solid and they are taking their time with it.

I've gotten better understanding the "no yards" penalty.  I like how the strategies are different then the NFL.  And of course, who doesn't like saying "That's a Rouge."  :)  I was real happy when Cory Sheets joined the backfield. We lacked a running game for so long. It took him a year after his knee injury to be effective again. 

One of my favorite players to watch over the last few years was Jon Cornish of Calgary.  Dude was a beast.  Too bad he retired too soon.  Damn, I think I've got this off track.  Maybe we should start our own CFL thread.  :rofl89: We may be the only two to post in it though.  That's OK, only a couple of people post in the ES Soccer thread and both of them are Liverpool fans. :cheers:

Crazy, at 33, in the NFL, playing a majority on special teams, he's developed in a great system some awesome pass rush skills.  it's ashame he's doign it at 33, but also awesome.

Orakpo having a decent start for Tennessee, but i'm not complaining.  Trent and Kerrigan are right there with them.  

On 10/24/2016 at 10:36 PM, Rattlesnake88 said:

I know it's already been tapped into but Lorenzo Alexander.....9 sacks and leading the NFL. I know there were a bunch of us that wanted to keep him around and he was a liability in some ways but wow, good for him.

The sad thing is there was really no reason for this team to move on from him. He should still be here. 

2 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

The sad thing is there was really no reason for this team to move on from him. He should still be here. 

That was the year with the bull**** salary cap penalty. We really  couldn't afford the contract he got (in Arizona, I think?) and also bring in Garcon. Garcon was basically our only splurge that year with the penalty, and we needed a weapon for our newly-traded-up-for Robert Griffin so I kind of feel like we had to do that. 

Plus he wanted a contract bigger than he was worth, if we're being honest. He wanted a chance to start/rotate on defense and we weren't giving him that at the time. He never showed anything on defense, really, until this season so you can't really blame us. This was 4 or 5 years ago now.

23 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

I agree honestly. He was a stud on ST and always performed when he took snaps on defense. He wanted a raise and we said no, shame on us.. still happy for him though.

• 2 weeks later...

And a former player who is not doing so well.  From PFF:

4. Chris Chester, G, Atlanta Falcons

Chester surrendered seven hurries against the Eagles, a league-high figure among all offensive linemen, let alone guards. He allowed that total on 35 pass-blocking snaps and was also flagged for a false start as he tried desperately to keep his head above water against the Eagles’ defensive front and Fletcher Cox in particular. As if his pass blocking performance wasn’t enough, he also struggled in the run game, giving up a tackle for loss to Destiny Vaeao and losing on a couple of other blocks in Atlanta’s loss.

Archived