Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-2017 NCAA Football Discussion Thread

The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sorry Hokie fans...but I think most of you expected that. 

Also..the top of the B12 has looked like hot garbage so far. And what the check is wrong with Clemson?

I expected it but now I just felt like a sucker for thinking at 14-0 "at least we will keep it respectable even if they come back" 

clemson is having a harder time replacing all that talent on D. A harder time than most expected 

Earlier, before the game, I had a chance to take a tour throughout the Nation's capital playing Pokemon Go. As we passed through the MLK Memorial in Washington DC, it was brought to my attention, the old Martin Luther King Jr. saying: "Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope."
In the case of this game, although the outcome was not what Tech partisans would have hoped for, there was still a stone of hope. The offense looked absolutely electric for one quarter. Evans has some potential. And even after this beatdown, it is sure to be a wakeup call as the men take on BC next week. BC is not expected to challenge much so take out your frustration on them and avoid the miscues that cost you this game here today.
Now to the mountain of despair.
There's a lot of anger around the Tech fanbase and some are already turning on Fuente. There are discipline problems, for sure. The Hokies took a **** load of unnecessary penalties and dumb turnovers. They had no regard for holding onto the ball and it cost them dearly. I guess he knew that they had to play better than they did against Liberty, and for the opening stanza, they did. But all the turnovers and gifts were just too much to overcome. Tennessee was the better team last night and they showed it on the field.
One thing is for sure, there has to be more discipline around this team. They must stop being so loose with the football and show some restraint. Stop the unnecessary penalties, stop the fumbling, and play solid defense.

My major gripes with Fuente right now is he's using Sam Rogers as the primary back and he's basically ruining Bucky Hodges. You have a TE who's a Jordan Reed clone and you've decided to use him as a receiver one week and a RB the next. Don't get me started on barely looking Isiah Fords way...

Also, where the hell is Marshawn? I like McMillan but he's more of a home-run threat and Marshawn is more of a power back that wears defenses down. He's damn sure more talented as a RB than Sam Rogers. 

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of Fuente. I don't particularly care for fast paced offenses simply because of the wear and tear they put on your own defense. They don't stay on the field long enough and if you don't have a lot of depth your defense is going to be beat by half time. This was evident by how sluggish the defense started to look. 

I'm at the point now where I never expect to reach what we were in the 2000s again but I'd still like to be competitive and losing 10 fumbles in two games is embarrassing. There's far too much talent in VA for Tech to not be a top 25 team year in and year out. They need to keep the talent here. 

I hate early BYE weeks..almost as much as playing on MNF in week 1. But at least WVU is 2-0 with a week to rest up for BYU. They haven't looked pretty in either game..but a win is a win is a win. 

Also..I can't believe App State has Miami coming to them this week. That's an accomplishment or a sign of how far Da U has fallen. I suspect after that Tennessee game in Week 1, Miami won't be overlooking them.

I hate early BYE weeks..almost as much as playing on MNF in week 1. But at least WVU is 2-0 with a week to rest up for BYU. They haven't looked pretty in either game..but a win is a win is a win. 

Also..I can't believe App State has Miami coming to them this week. That's an accomplishment or a sign of how far Da U has fallen. I suspect after that Tennessee game in Week 1, Miami won't be overlooking them.

I wouldn't say that is a sign of how far they have fallen.  Plenty of big name schools play lesser programs every year, usually 1-2 teams they "should beat".   I get that they are playing away which seems odd, but that is App State setting up a home/away series commitment with Miami and Wake Forest (ACC schools) for now and the future.  

They play Wake at home next year and then they play at Wake in 2020 and at Miami in 2021.  The Tennessee game was away for them and next year they play Georgia on the road.

I dunno Taze. I don't see a lot of big name schools traveling to 20,000 seat football stadiums. Perhaps it happens more than I think..I was just surprised to see the game at App State.

It's not one game though.  It's a home/away deal between the two schools.  The TN game is one game, they played on the road.  Next year, they play Georgia, again, one game on the road.   I agree, it's odd considering how small that stadium is, if this were say UNCC, the game most likely is played at the Panthers Stadium, but there isn't any larger stadiums around Boone, NC.

I would bet money that someone within the ACC (or perhaps both of those schools) has ties to App State, thus the agreement.  I know it's a different sport, but I remember in basketball, UNC played UNC Asheville in Kimmel Arena in Asheville, NC back in 1995.  I went to the game, cousin was going to college at UNC Asheville at the time.  That arena seats only 3200 lol.  

But Dean Smith and the head coach of UNC-Asheville were friends, actually he was one of Dean Smiths assistant coaches from 85-93, so Dean did him a favor and played them on the road.

Archived