Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we on the Eve of War?

JMS

Is anybody else getting a little nervous about all the goings on in the world?   Looks like Russia is testing us in Europe,  the North Atlantic,  Syria,  and the Pacific...    And if that weren't bad enough it looks like we are in a Mexican stand off with China presently in both the east and south china seas.

Serious enough that we've deployed two aircraft carrier groups as a show of strength.

Looks like the entire thing is going to escalate to next week July 12th when an international binding arbitration in the Hage comes back ruling on the current confrontation with the Philippines and China.

We could very easily be in a shooting war next week.   If not its seeming more and more likely we will be in one around the time of the election or transfer of power with a new President coming into office.   Least that's a real fear.

You should add a poll. Have to ask if the totally destabilization of the global economy at this point would be worth it.

you can't do a poll. You ever start a poll on this board? You can have 40 answers to the question is sea moss green and people would still be up in arms about the options. It distracts from the entire thing.

you can't do a poll. You ever start a poll on this board? You can have 40 answers to the question is sea moss green and people would still be up in arms about the options. It distracts from the entire thing.

Most of my threads I start have polls. This topic might go to your point, but a simple "yes" or "no" would be interesting enough for me to walk away from with.

Most of my threads I start have polls. This topic might go to your point, but a simple "yes" or "no" would be interesting enough for me to walk away from with.

I'd be fine with it too. Rome is burning and the wolves prey is slowing down. I also think a major global climate event is coming. But, im cheery like that.

You should add a poll. Have to ask if the totally destabilization of the global economy at this point would be worth it.

Problem is the economy is fueling the troubles.   Russia's economy has been in the toilet since they invaded Crimea worse when the bottom dropped out of the global oil market.   Russia could use a few good short victories against NATO to distract it's own people from the economic job Putin is doing domestically.   Putin is more and more appealing to nationalism to distract domestically from the free fall their economy is in.

China is doing better than Russia economically but they are still not doing that great.   Looks like they're economic growth has been severely impaired in the last few years.    They've gone from 10-12% economic growth to 0 growth.    They are trying three very ambitious pivots right now,  moving to a service based economy,  moving to an economy based upon domestic growth rather than foreign trade,  and trying to creat a international currency out of the Yuan.     Economists are projecting it's not going to get better in the next year for China either.    So China too has begun to appeal to nationalism to fend off domestic criticism.   

Nationalism and slowing economies of China and Russia are fostering these potential frustrations.

Problem is the economy is fueling the troubles.

So the solution is to completely devastate their trading partners to appease their own populations?

I don't see Russia or China being occupied, but you might have been able to semi-sell me on the idea of fighting for natural resources to survive as individual nations (which can be addressed with diplomacy if they get their heads out their ***es).

It would be an unnecessary war of attrition on their turf, not ours, because I don't see the logic in trying to invade us in order to get what either country wants.

Burgold is right, it would be more likely a dual-Cold War then WW3. All three of us are nuclear powers, remember?

Changing my mind as I write. Was first going to say depends on who is the next president. Now I think, yes. Not a global war but some skirmishes with both China and Russia. Both have been getting pushy on the seas, probably more than most of you realize (perk of being Navy, I see it with my eyes). Right now we don't do anything unless directly attacked and even then our policies limit our immediate response. I don't think either candidate with accept being pushed around like that. On a bigger scale, I think something bad is coming. Between social issues in our country, the global economy, Brexit, global warming, etc one of those pots is due to boil over. And I'm not sure we are still the global leaders to get us through it without a bunch of bodies left behind.

The eve of war? We've been in a state of perpetual war for a long time. I fully expect that to continue.

But if the meaning is that we are facing another world war, then all I can say is that I hope the powers that be decide war on that scale isn't worth the risk of mutual destruction.

The eve of war? We've been in a state of perpetual war for a long time. I fully expect that to continue

Was gonna say the same thing. We've been at war almost constantly for two hundred and forty years.

Probably about time for a new one though. The last few are played out at this point.

About  China's ridiculous "nine dashed line" map under which they claim exclusive sovereignity over huge amounts of the South China Sea near the Philippines and Vietnam.

and no, we are not on the eve of all-war.   China's economy depends on selling stuff to us.  Russia's economy depends on selling oil to Europe.  Both want to throw their weight around in places they consider to be in their natural area of control/influence, but neither wants a direct confrontation with the US or NATO.  

The Russians are not going to go rolling their rusty tanks into Germany because even if they could succeed initially, they couldn't control it for long and they would get wrecked economically and by US retaliation.  Ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, the only place Russia directly attacks is places where there are a ton of Russian speakers who will welcome them in.  China is similar.   Someday, they will push their claim for Taiwan, but not now.  They want to get it back without a fight, they way they got Hong Kong.    

Wait, we're at war? That's awful.

Just kidding, of course we are. It's who we are.

Why risk a global war, when we can just use countries like Syria as board games. We don't even have to claim it as American. Different agencies can even fight each other on the same game?

you can't do a poll. You ever start a poll on this board? You can have 40 answers to the question is sea moss green and people would still be up in arms about the options. 

Don't discourage other people from starting polls just because your poll game is weak! :)

I'm more concerned with Russia than China.  Russia is in an economic toilet.  Desperate times can lead to desperate actions.  

Archived