Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Over 60,000 Rapes Resulted in Pregnancy in States With Total Abortion Bans Since Roe Was Overturned

More than 60,000 women and girls have become pregnant after being raped in states with total abortion bans in the months since Roe v. Wade was overturned, researchers estimate.

Following the U.S. Supreme Court’s June 2022 Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization (Dobbs) decision, 14 states enacted total abortion bans. Five of these states have exceptions to their abortion bans in cases of rape. However, victims must immediately report the rape to police, which happens only about 21% of the time, researchers wrote in a paper published in JAMA on Wednesday.

The study says few, if any, of these rape victims were able to get an abortion legally. If they did seek one, they had to travel out of state or pursue a self-managed abortion, which may include obtaining an abortion pill. 

The 14 states include Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Further, they estimated 5,586 rape-related pregnancies (9%) occurred in the five states with rape exceptions, 58,979 (91%) in states with no exception. Nearly half of those,  26,313 (45%), occurred in Texas, where Gov. Greg Abbott said he will not prosecute rape victims who get an abortion within six weeks.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. publisher retracts studies cited by Texas judge in suspending abortion pill's approval

A U.S. scientific publisher has retracted two studies, largely due to their methodology, that a Texas judge cited last year in his ruling suspending federal approval of the abortion pill mifepristone in response to a lawsuit by anti-abortion doctors and medical associations.

The retraction Monday by Sage Publications came less than two months before the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to hear an appeal by President Joe Biden's administration in that case. Mifepristone, the first in a two-pill regimen for medication abortion, remains available while the appeal is pending.

The lead author of the studies, public health researcher James Studnicki, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Studnicki, a vice president at the anti-abortion Charlotte Lozier Institute, previously told conservative publication The Daily Wire that the retractions of the studies published in 2021 and 2022 were "completely unjustified."

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

Who would have thought that deciding that you're going to change the definition of "person", just so you can have the power to impose your opinion on other people, would lead to other problems?  

• Like 2

Controversial and very calloused opinion incoming:

While I feel for normal people who are caught in the middle of this, and I know not every Red State is 100% Republicans and lots of people get caught and hurt by this kind of bull****, I think it's kind of hilarious that any of these "Life being at conception!" Christofacists are about to be hoisted by their own petards. I deeply wish those people would not be allowed any kind of fertility treatment, after all if you have to use *shudder* science and technology *gasp!" to get pregnant, then maybe that's just God telling you that you're not supposed to have a kid and spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to spit in the face of God should not be allowed when there are about to be plenty of precious souls saved by your anti-abortion laws that now need homes. Maybe God wants you to adopt one or two of those precious babies your laws just saved and are now plentifully available instead of spending that kind of money on trying to fool nature into giving you your own offspring when clearly your genetics just suck and your bloodline deserves to end?

Yeah, I know. There are a LOT more people who are going to suffer than this small group of idiots, and most of them will never face any repercussions for this, but sometimes when these situation happen, all you can do is take a little schadenfreude at the ones whose faces are getting eaten by the leopards they voted for.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Controversial and very calloused opinion incoming:

While I feel for normal people who are caught in the middle of this, and I know not every Red State is 100% Republicans and lots of people get caught and hurt by this kind of bull****, I think it's kind of hilarious that any of these "Life being at conception!" Christofacists are about to be hoisted by their own petards. I deeply wish those people would not be allowed any kind of fertility treatment, after all if you have to use *shudder* science and technology *gasp!" to get pregnant, then maybe that's just God telling you that you're not supposed to have a kid and spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to spit in the face of God should not be allowed when there are about to be plenty of precious souls saved by your anti-abortion laws that now need homes. Maybe God wants you to adopt one or two of those precious babies your laws just saved and are now plentifully available instead of spending that kind of money on trying to fool nature into giving you your own offspring when clearly your genetics just suck and your bloodline deserves to end?

Yeah, I know. There are a LOT more people who are going to suffer than this small group of idiots, and most of them will never face any repercussions for this, but sometimes when these situation happen, all you can do is take a little schadenfreude at the ones whose faces are getting eaten by the leopards they voted for.

I can't overlook the thousands upon thousands of people who are gonna be severely hurt by this stupidity. Some will travel out of state to find IVF services, just adding more costs for them to shoulder (and I'm pretty sure there will be insurance issues as well if they do). About the only good I can see resulting is that it motivates even more people to vote out Republicans, because this is becoming way too ****ing much to ignore.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I can't overlook the thousands upon thousands of people who are gonna be severely hurt by this stupidity. Some will travel out of state to find IVF services, just adding more costs for them to shoulder (and I'm pretty sure there will be insurance issues as well if they do). About the only good I can see resulting is that it motivates even more people to vote out Republicans, because this is becoming way too ****ing much to ignore.

While the logic behind thinking this will change how people and women in particular vote is 100% sound, I have very little hope this is the case. My gf’s dad has three daughters and he’s Trump 2024 full steam ahead. 

I know it's gonna be a while before the next census, but curious what level of migration is occurring from these psycho 3rd world red states like Alabama or if it's gonna pick up.

A lot of articles show red states growing and blue states shrinking, with folks claiming that means folks from blue states moving to red states.

Harder look at data shows a lot of people leaving blue states are actually moving to different blue states, likely cheaper ones.  And as of recently people from red states, especially Republicans, are typically moving to other red states.

Here’s what actually happens when voters move between states

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/02/marjorie-taylor-greene-national-divorce-partisan-voting/

The brain drain is real and I wonder if there's a breaking point that finally starts to shift people out of red states into blue states (with data to prove that's what's happening).