Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Sign Fletcher Cox for $103 Million

dsciambi

Fletcher Cox Gets Six Year Extension With Eagles

Fletcher Cox has agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension through 2022 with the Philadelphia Eagles, the team announced Monday.

The deal is worth $103 million with $63 million in guaranteed money, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. That means the Pro Bowl defensive lineman will have the highest guarantee for a non-quarterback in NFL history.

In his four-year career, Cox has 22 sacks and six fumble recoveries.

That's quite a lot of money for 22 sacks over 4 years. I'm not saying Cox isn't a good player, but this is a Haynesworth type deal if I've ever seen one.

I don't get the teams going out spending ridiculous money on some of these players.  What makes it worse is it drives the prices up for other teams.  Now, D-lineman are going to use this deal as a negotiating point.  Doesn't matter that it was a stupid deal.

I don't get the teams going out spending ridiculous money on some of these players.  What makes it worse is it drives the prices up for other teams.  Now, D-lineman are going to use this deal as a negotiating point.  Doesn't matter that it was a stupid deal.

That is the main reason that Snyder is so disliked by some of the other owners around the league.  He was never afraid to open the checkbook for players, but it drove the prices up.  I just find it so hypocritical how mild the media has been about the Eagles and the Giants spending this offseason.  They have murdered us for more than a decade and a half for spending, and still try to murder us when we aren't spending.  Yet, our rivals spend like crazy, more than we ever have in a single offseason, and it somehow makes them contenders (Giants).  Crazy!

I just find it so hypocritical how mild the media has been about the Eagles and the Giants spending this offseason.  They have murdered us for more than a decade and a half for spending, and still try to murder us when we aren't spending.  Yet, our rivals spend like crazy, more than we ever have in a single offseason, and it somehow makes them contenders (Giants).  Crazy!

Two thoughts:

• This is the first time the Giants did this. So naturally they get the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it'll pan out,  but we'll see.
  • This is the Eagles second time spending like crazy. The Dream Team from a few years ago being the other  time . One more time and they will be comparisons to our past.

Don't forget that the first year or two the Skins went spending crazy, there was a lot of positive press. After a couple of years, then then Dan started catching heat for it. The other factor was there is/was a perception that Dan was partially calling the shots when signing free agents. This isn't the case with the other teams. 

Archived