Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Josh Doctson WR TCU

PCS

Just now, Rex Tomb said:

That sounds exactly like designated for return.  Or does this mean they have more flexibility about who to bring back? 

Here is a little more detail: http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/24/11294738/nfl-changes-short-term-injured-reserve-rule

The more important part of the article is here:

The NFL announced a change to the short term IR rule on Wednesday.

Under the new rule, the player to potentially return from IR will no longer have to be designated to return at the time he is placed on IR. Potentially any one player on IR who progresses in his recovery to the point that he is once again physically able to play football will be permitted to do so subject to the discretion of his team.

No other terms of the previous rule have been changed. Only one player per team will be allowed to return from IR to the regular roster, and that player must have spent at least 6 weeks on IR before he will be allowed to practice, and at least 8 weeks before he can return for game day action.

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

That sounds exactly like designated for return.  Or does this mean they have more flexibility about who to bring back? 

I looked it up.  

Her'es a link to the ESPN Article Essentially, if a player has been on IR for 6 weeks, they can come back and practice, and play a game 2 weeks later.  You don't have to designate who it is when they place them on IR

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Jinx

9 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

LOL @ people wanting to IR him now because "it's too late" for him to contribute.  It doesn't even require a serious reply or discussion.

I agree but I did learn about the change in the IR rule. It could have some pretty significant impact. I don't understand why the NFL has the all or nothing IR. Instead of just the 6 gm IR, let that be the same all year.

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree but I did learn about the change in the IR rule. It could have some pretty significant impact. I don't understand why the NFL has the all or nothing IR. Instead of just the 6 gm IR, let that be the same all year.

Because they don't want teams using it to stash players they otherwise couldn't fit on the 53, I assume.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

When folks are suggesting IR for him, I'm taking it as him missing the entire season.  Since he hasn't practiced during camp, he's still eligible for the PUP list. 

Here's another PUP/IR link:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/7/26/12267896/nfl-pup-list-injured-reserve-nfi-list-rules-and-the-2016-san-francisco-49ers

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Because they don't want teams using it to stash players they otherwise couldn't fit on the 53, I assume.

then they should make it so anyone placed on IR after the first game can be reactivated

24 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

When folks are suggesting IR for him, I'm taking it as him missing the entire season.  Since he hasn't practiced during camp, he's still eligible for the PUP list. 

Here's another PUP/IR link:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/7/26/12267896/nfl-pup-list-injured-reserve-nfi-list-rules-and-the-2016-san-francisco-49ers

Again, I totally agree. It would make no sense to put him on IR unless you are certain he cannot participate during the season at any time. I believe people have called it a "red shirt" approach. I am not a fan of that at all. he will benefit from being with the team during practices and is very likely to provide some production before the end of the season.

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I get what you are saying but I believe you could easily negate that by changing the CAP rules. For example their salary counts against the CAP if they are placed on the 6 gm only IR. Makes it hard to stash players that way. You will run into CAP issues quickly.

41 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I get what you are saying but I believe you could easily negate that by changing the CAP rules. For example their salary counts against the CAP if they are placed on the 6 gm only IR. Makes it hard to stash players that way. You will run into CAP issues quickly.

I'm pretty sure people who are on IR do count against the cap

If they pull him off the Active PUP now to start practicing; he is now disqualified from going onto the Reserve PUP for the rest of the season. If he stays on the Active PUP until the start of the season he automatically goes to the Reserve PUP and be out a minimum of the first six weeks.

If they put him on IR then he still can't practice and would miss significant time before he could practice. However, he could still attend meetings.

If they burn a roster spot and activate him before the start of the season, he'd still be around the team and able to practice if able. He could be scratched every week if not ready but if heals up sooner then he could practice sooner, play sooner and they would keep their Designated IR option open. Might be a fair trade-off. Just because he is on the 53 doesn't mean he has to be on the game day roster.

And if it looked like he was going to have to be IR'd after the start of the season then they still have that as an option. They really don't save time by IR'ing him now and hoping for a return in 8 weeks versus activating him now and putting him on IR if necessary late. If he isn't ready to play in the first 8 weeks if active he won't be ready after 8 weeks on IR either, especially being a rookie who has yet to practice with the team - but there would be a chance of playing sooner if active.

So I would trade off the roster spot for now and keep the possibility that he might play sooner, able to participate more then he would on IR, plus saving that Designated Return option. 

49 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm pretty sure people who are on IR do count against the cap

Good catch! You are right! Then I see no reason to worry about teams stashing players. They can only do that with a few players before having salary cap issues. Maybe to augment that, limit the number of players on shirt term IR to 3 or 4. Any more then someone would have to be placed on season ending IR.

24 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Good catch! You are right! Then I see no reason to worry about teams stashing players. They can only do that with a few players before having salary cap issues. Maybe to augment that, limit the number of players on shirt term IR to 3 or 4. Any more then someone would have to be placed on season ending IR.

I don't understand so if you could clarify for me, please. I thought all IR was season long IR unless the team opted to designate them for return which they could only do once and that part is still them same. Reserve PUP has no limit but a team only screws themselves by loading that up.

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yep.

In fact, the Gibbs coaching staff from the championship years is one of the reasons for the rules they have today with regards to IR.

They were famous for stashing players on IR. The NFL decided to close that loophole. :) 

4 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yep.

In fact, the Gibbs coaching staff from the championship years is one of the reasons for the rules they had with regards to IR.

They were famous for stashing players on IR. The NFL decided to close that loophole. :) 

Maybe they learned from the Cowboys or maybe they taught them (more likely) but you probably could've built a whole other team between the Washington & Dallas IR's.

1 hour ago, Johns Bass said:

I don't understand so if you could clarify for me, please. I thought all IR was season long IR unless the team opted to designate them for return which they could only do once and that part is still them same. Reserve PUP has no limit but a team only screws themselves by loading that up.

They got rid of the need to "designate" a returnee. You can still only activate one guy from IR, but there's no need to choose ahead of time which one it will be now.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

They got rid of the need to "designate" a returnee. You can still only activate one guy from IR, but there's no need to choose ahead of time which one it will be now.

But they are all on season ending IR unless one is designated for return (at some point) but they can still only designate one player to come off in a season, correct?

Just now, Johns Bass said:

But they are all on season ending IR unless one is designated for return (at some point) but they can still only designate one player to come off in a season, correct?

Correct. They can still only bring back one IR'd player at that deadline (forgot when it is), they just don't have to choose who until the time comes. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Correct. They can still only bring back one IR'd player at that deadline (forgot when it is), they just don't have to choose who until the time comes. 

OK, thanx. That's what I thought but wasn't sure if I interpreted correctly.

13 minutes ago, Johns Bass said:

I may just be reading it incorrectly so we may be saying the same thing. But just for clarification:.

Example: Player A goes on IR after gm 2 but they really need him back before the end of the year and think he has a chance. Then player B goes out after gm 3 but he is even more critical and has the same chance of coming back.

The way I understand it is that under the old rules if they designated player A for return they could not then change it to player B. Now they don't have to designate at all. They can see how they progress. If it turns out player B comes back faster then he can be reinstated. Or player A if it works the other way. 

What stays the same is only one player per year can be brought back off IR.

Archived