Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

What?  No, why?  We knew the ending to the prequels, we know the ending for this Rogue One, but that doesn't mean it has to be family friendly, and fit into the same stylistic approach as ANH.  The whole point of the Star Wars Stories was to tell other stories that were not about the Skywalkers and not force them to tie into the same styles as the others.

Looks like Disney doesn't want that, they just want money.  I don't blame them for wanting the movies to make money, it is a business after all, but it sounds as if they are trying to make Rogue One a family friendly experience where as that's not what we were told it was going to be.

Here's more rumors:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-watered-down-darth-vader-scene-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

The rumors are getting pretty consistent and if they do end up they way its sounding, BOOOO Disney.  You suck.

I have to agree.

• Like 1

Tempting as it is I will not read that potential spoiler because I hate them. But I recall code posting tons of "leaked" plot/scenes or whatever for Force Awakens, which I also did not read, but it has me wondering, how accurate were they?

I'm assuming many were flat out wrong, and just educated guesses or rumors repackaged as leaks. Were any of them spot on? (No credits given for Kylo Ren being the son of han and Leia. Too easy to guess)

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 1

I have to agree.

I think my issue was that we were told and hyped up that Rogue One was going to be this gritty war story completely different from the other movies and now because of the financial success of TFA, Disney is backing down.  I really like the idea of what we were told Rogue One was all about BUT... In fairness, I realize that doesn't mean it would be the best movie in terms of money.  

Tempting as it is I will not read that potential spoiler because I hate them. But I recall code posting tons of "leaked" plot/scenes or whatever for Force Awakens, which I also did not read, but it has me wondering, how accurate were they?

I'm assuming many were flat out wrong, and just educated guesses or rumors repackaged as leaks. Were any of them spot on? (No credits given for Kylo Ren being the son of han and Leia. Too easy to guess)

The stuff I posted was 99% accurate.  The only difference was some of the filmed scenes never made it to the final movie, but ended up in the DVD releases.

I have no inside info, I just hang out on SW forums and pretty much everything is leaked ahead of time.

The stuff I posted was 99% accurate. The only difference was some of the filmed scenes never made it to the final movie, but ended up in the DVD releases.

I have no inside info, I just hang out on SW forums and pretty much everything is leaked ahead of time.

Wait what? The "deleted scenes" on the TFA blu ray are like 90 seconds total and nothing that would be the subject of any spoiler. Are you talking about TFA or the prequels?

*edit*

So I went back into that thread and poked around, just for fun.  The stuff you posted like 2 days before it came out was 99% accurate.  That storyboard with frames and scene descriptions (though personally I can't even begin to understand what would possess someone to read such a thing.  I thought it was awful)

But the things that were being posted months ahead of time?  Some broadstrokes accurate.  Many things very wrong.

I will continue to reserve judgment on the tone of the film, which is something nearly impossible to discern if you have not actually seen the current edit of the movie, instead of taking what some random dude on the internet says as gospel.  [random dude not you, but the people you're reading who claim to have intimate knowledge of the current cut and Kathleen Kennedy's personal opinions] 

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 1

Wait what? The "deleted scenes" on the TFA blu ray are like 90 seconds total and nothing that would be the subject of any spoiler. Are you talking about TFA or the prequels?

*edit*

So I went back into that thread and poked around, just for fun.  The stuff you posted like 2 days before it came out was 99% accurate.  That storyboard with frames and scene descriptions (though personally I can't even begin to understand what would possess someone to read such a thing.  I thought it was awful)

But the things that were being posted months ahead of time?  Some broadstrokes accurate.  Many things very wrong.

I will continue to reserve judgment on the tone of the film, which is something nearly impossible to discern if you have not actually seen the current edit of the movie, instead of taking what some random dude on the internet says as gospel.  [random dude not you, but the people you're reading who claim to have intimate knowledge of the current cut and Kathleen Kennedy's personal opinions] 

One of the cut scenes in TFA was Kylo visiting the Falcon while it was crashed on Starkiller Base. This was one of the most leaked scenes that led people to guess that Kylo was Han's son due to the way the scene was described. It didn't make the movie, but it was filmed and its now available as a cut scene and of course, Kylo was Han's son and that was spoiled a long time before the movie came out.

Other things where changed after they got feedback.  For example, originally, Luke/Anakin's saber wasn't supposed to be in Maz's castle, it was supposed to fall from space to Jakku and it was supposed to be the central reason to find Luke, but it was ripped apart on Star Wars forms, why would Luke's saber be falling through space etc... it was changed to being a map and the saber shows up later with Maz.  Lots of little stuff to.  The spoilers come from scenes that were filmed, but you have no context to them.  People see a scene filmed and report it but they don't know the dialog.

Edited by codeorama

For example, originally, Luke/Anakin's saber wasn't supposed to be in Maz's castle, it was supposed to fall from space to Jakku and it was supposed to be the central reason to find Luke, but it was ripped apart on Star Wars forms, why would Luke's saber be falling through space etc... it was changed to being a map and the saber shows up later with Maz.  Lots of little stuff to.  The spoilers come from scenes that were filmed, but you have no context to them.  People see a scene filmed and report it but they don't know the dialog.

Or maybe it was never supposed to be that way and that was just a false rumor.

Or maybe it was ripped apart by the execs at Disney because they realized it was stupid without the help of the forums, and they know what they're doing and stepped in to help make the movie better.

I understand why the people in those forums might assume that the people at Disney are monitoring their conversations and putting a lot of stock into what they think, but the conclusion that the change had anything to do with the collective opinion of the forum is not based on anything.

Disney is 1 for 1 so far, and I have a lot of faith in Kathleen Kennedy to be a good steward for the franchise.  A gritty war movie sounds awesome.  It will probably be awesome even if it's not precisely that.

Or maybe it was never supposed to be that way and that was just a false rumor.

Or maybe it was ripped apart by the execs at Disney because they realized it was stupid without the help of the forums, and they know what they're doing and stepped in to help make the movie better.

I understand why the people in those forums might assume that the people at Disney are monitoring their conversations and putting a lot of stock into what they think, but the conclusion that the change had anything to do with the collective opinion of the forum is not based on anything.

Disney is 1 for 1 so far, and I have a lot of faith in Kathleen Kennedy to be a good steward for the franchise. A gritty war movie sounds awesome. It will probably be awesome even if it's not precisely that.

Not saying the forums were what caused changes. Those things were in the early drafts but were changed.

Disney is 1-1 in making money. Not all SW fans were thrilled with TFA. The prequels were huge financial successes. Clearly not everyone likes them.

Edited by codeorama

I kind of like the idea of the lightsaber falling from the sky considering it fell down into the same shaft Luke did but he was able to hold onto the wire thing at the bottom.

The lightsaber wouldn't have and just floated through space until by fate or force it found a home, sparking a new adventure that will change the galaxy forever.

Did you watch the same movie I did?

I liked the prequils better than this latest one.

(Although, I'm really looking forward to Rogue One.)

I've been SO looking forward to Rogue One... the idea is just cool. I hope the director is allowed to make the movie he wants to make.

Did you watch the same movie I did?

I liked the prequils better than this latest one.

(Although, I'm really looking forward to Rogue One.)

yeah but you're a Trek guy.  Your opinion isn't relevant here  :P

I hear what you're saying and what code is saying about not everyone liking TFA.  I'm not going to restart that discussions (or the prequel discussion) here.  That topic has been done to death and I don't want to hijack yet another SW thread into it.

• Like 1

How would the lightsaber have gotten into space? Stop mid-air and fall upward? That rumour was idiotic. The version that ended up in the film wasn't much better...that's Abrams' "mystery box" for ya though.

I always felt like that was a free fall though the clouds and into nothing for some reason.

Even if there is a planet under there, you show a quick scene at the beginning of episode 8 of some random nobody miner on Bespin walking to work and seeing something on the ground and his eyes light up as he picks it up. (We can't see it) then he is at home talking to his family about going to another planet to sell what he found or something and having an argument with his wife about how dangerous it is. We then see storm troopers sneaking around on the hunt of this guy. He ends up leaving the next morning on his trip to sell the treasure he has found. His ship is attacked by storm troopers as he takes to the sky where he eventually is shot down or whatever sent spiraling off into the far reaches of space. It is then shown crashing onto a sandy world.

This entire sequence takes maybe 5-8 minutes and makes no sense to anyone watching movie until we see Rey searching through the same crashed ship, buried in the Jakku sand and still see no reason for it until she stumbles across the metal chest he had kept his treasure, opening it up as Luke's lightsaber falls out

• Like 1

I felt that TFA had too many handy plot holes IMO.  The way the saber was found in the box at Maz's place was weak.  I liked the original idea that Max Sydow's character had the saber rather than a map, but for me, its like this:

-Han is looking for the Falcon, can't find it for years.  

-Rey steals it and within minutes, Han finds it

-Takes Rey to Maz's place where the lightsaber summons Rey

Sure, you can say it was the will of the force, but at that point, you may as well have midichlorians running the show.  

Weak IMO.

• Like 1

I always felt like that was a free fall though the clouds and into nothing for some reason.

Even if there is a planet under there, you show a quick scene at the beginning of episode 8 of some random nobody miner on Bespin walking to work and seeing something on the ground and his eyes light up as he picks it up. (We can't see it) then he is at home talking to his family about going to another planet to sell what he found or something and having an argument with his wife about how dangerous it is. We then see storm troopers sneaking around on the hunt of this guy. He ends up leaving the next morning on his trip to sell the treasure he has found. His ship is attacked by storm troopers as he takes to the sky where he eventually is shot down or whatever sent spiraling off into the far reaches of space. It is then shown crashing onto a sandy world.

This entire sequence takes maybe 5-8 minutes and makes no sense to anyone watching movie until we see Rey searching through the same crashed ship, buried in the Jakku sand and still see no reason for it until she stumbles across the metal chest he had kept his treasure, opening it up as Luke's lightsaber falls out

Bespin is a gas giant. The mines are gas mines. That's why it has the cloud city. The gravity and weight of the atmosphere would crush anyone on the planet surface and would make retrieving the lightsaber nearly impossible.

Bespin is a gas giant. The mines are gas mines. That's why it has the cloud city. The gravity and weight of the atmosphere would crush anyone on the planet surface and would make retrieving the lightsaber nearly impossible.

Do they utilize fracking or some other engineering method to efficiently extract the gas?

Bespin is a gas giant. The mines are gas mines. That's why it has the cloud city. The gravity and weight of the atmosphere would crush anyone on the planet surface and would make retrieving the lightsaber nearly impossible.

Nerd!

Well then they are checking the finds of the mine and excavating or some **** and the lightsaber is part of the material they dig up.

It can happen

• Like 1

Nerd!

Well then they are checking the finds of the mine and excavating or some **** and the lightsaber is part of the material they dig up.

It can happen

NO he just said after that that the tibanna merely effervesces from the planet and the Cloud city just passively collects it thru shafts.

Codeorama said there's a quiz on Tuesday so get it straight and no, you can't copy just because you like to imitate the guy in your av the night before tests while cramming.

Lobot, speaking of Cloud city:

lobot.jpg

is always online thanks to that implant.  Dude would be fun at  parties what with the ability to do google searches  with his mind instantly.   An  "Ask Lobot" drinking game would have everyone sloshed but quick.

• Like 5

is always online thanks to that implant.  Dude would be fun at  parties what with the ability to do google searches  with his mind instantly.   An  "Ask Lobot" drinking game would have everyone sloshed but quick.

Gold!