Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

it definitely has a lot of flaws and I understand the complaints but I disagree with the characters being the same as they were. And some of the subversions like Snoke I’m ok with because if not then you just have a rerun of the all powerful master and his apprentice that is being pulled to the light. So mix things up and they can take the story somewhere a bit more fresh in this one. 

I’m also fine with Luke and I think he stayed in character quite a bit. I’m glad they didn’t go the way of Luke being Jesus Christ Superman Jedi Master and actually showed him as a flawed hero, yet still one that wins the day and saves his friends. 

We'll agree to disagree on what was done character wise but I think NoCalMike nailed it.  If they're selling this as the end of a 9 chapter story it doesn't make sense to make the choices that were made in the 8th chapter.  You don't "kill the past" and then go welp let's bring the past back to put a bow on this thing.  That's where KK really messed up over seeing these films.  And now JJ is having to over stuff the story it sounds to bring it home.  That's why I say they should have just added a chapter 10.  

5 hours ago, ShredSkins said:

I'm skeptical of these early reviews. Before I know what someone thinks of Rise of Skywalker, id like to see what they thought of the Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi to me is the Bruce Allen of a franchise I enjoy so much. I just don't know if the damage can be un-done. 

Did you like any of the three prequels?...Because to me, if none of that dreck killed the franchise, nothing will lol...

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Wow, early RT score not looking good. Currently sitting at 53%.

Could go up a bit by the coming days, but ultimately this trilogy will end up being even a bigger failure than the prequels. Anyone want to debate that, please @me bro.

100%. I easily place all three prequels AND both Ewok movies above this mess. Yes, the Ewok films are better. I've re-watched them all and I stand by this.

TLJ was simply a bad movie regardless of genre or franchise. It wrecked the standard trilogy narrative by treading water (sorry, meant running out of space fuel) and killing off all character arcs. You can't fix those kind of events when they happen in the middle movie. The alliance between Kylo and Rey that didn't happen because "surprise, tricked you" ultimately doomed the movie.

I think the biggest problem the new trilogy created for itself was not having a single story writer be in charge of the whole arc.  I think Johnson took the story in a different direction than what Abrams first envisioned and then Abrams comes back in and has to semi retcon some stuff.  Not sure if the blame lies with any of the storytellers as much as the executives who greenlighted that process.  Still going to see EP9, but early reviews seem to indicate we are back to more nostalgia heavy story and Abrams is undoing lot of what Johnson did in TLJ

1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

100%. I easily place all three prequels AND both Ewok movies above this mess. Yes, the Ewok films are better. I've re-watched them all and I stand by this.

TLJ was simply a bad movie regardless of genre or franchise. It wrecked the standard trilogy narrative by treading water (sorry, meant running out of space fuel) and killing off all character arcs. You can't fix those kind of events when they happen in the middle movie. The alliance between Kylo and Rey that didn't happen because "surprise, tricked you" ultimately doomed the movie.

this is laughably ridiculous hyperbole. Really hard to take people seriously when this type of nonsense is said 

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Wow, early RT score not looking good. Currently sitting at 53%.

Could go up a bit by the coming days, but ultimately this trilogy will end up being even a bigger failure than the prequels. Anyone want to debate that, please @me bro.

looking at the reviews, many of the complaints are pacing and packing too much in but also that they played it too safe and just wanted to give fans what they want after the backlash over TLJ. Basically they catered to fans to make them happy and the movie suffers for it. 

so which is it, TLJ has great reviews among critics yet is hated. Now the critic score is low because they catered to the whiners whose childhoods were ruined because Luke tossed his lightsaber and that’s not good enough either 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this is laughably ridiculous hyperbole. Really hard to take people seriously when this type of nonsense is said 

looking at the reviews, many of the complaints are pacing and packing too much in but also that they played it too safe and just wanted to give fans what they want after the backlash over TLJ. Basically they catered to fans to make them happy and the movie suffers for it. 

so which is it, TLJ has great reviews among critics yet is hated. Now the critic score is low because they catered to the whiners whose childhoods were ruined because Luke tossed his lightsaber and that’s not good enough either 

Which furthers my point that the trilogy as a whole fails. It tries to please everyone, and pisses off everyone. It has no clear direction, arc, or purpose.

The prequels at least had an overall arc and continuity, even while having its cringe moments. But it still feels like Star Wars, that it belongs in the universe.

• Thanks 1

Well, hopefully this will get KK fired, at last. That would be a step in the right direction. Lets look at her track record:

1. Initially hired Colin Treverow, director of the lackluster Jurrassic World, to direct ROS = MISTAKE

2. Fired Lord and Miller, two young up and coming directors, midway through filming Solo = MISTAKE

3. Hired JJ Abrams, again, when his creative energies were all but spent from TFA, to direct ROS = MISTAKE

4. Has generally made Star Wars a platform for pushing her own political agenda rather than concentrating on creating great stories.

If ROS turns out to be a pretty bad movie, this really needs to be the first step that Disney takes. 

42 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

4. Has generally made Star Wars a platform for pushing her own political agenda rather than concentrating on creating great stories.

Wait, what??? With respect, anyone leaving Star Wars and thinking about political agendas needs to spend some time reflecting on one's own life. 

Edited by Hersh

Just now, Hersh said:

Who watches Star Wars thinking about a political agenda being pushed?

I wanted him to say it but I doubt he will. Star Wars has always had politics infused with it. 

TLJ had 5 lines about animal cruelty and the new trilogy and Rogue One under KK has cast two women as main characters and minorities in prominent roles. 

Then again, the prequels literally quote GW Bush, have a disgusting and reprehensible character named after New Gingrich and Ronald Reagan and Lucas himself said "Anakin Skywalker is a promising young man who is turned to the dark side by an older politician and becomes Darth Vader. George Bush is Darth Vader. Cheney is the Emperor."

The original story idea was about the Vietnam war with Lucas wanting to tell a story of how democracies become dictatorships which he came up with as he watched Nixon during his reelection campaign. Another quote regarding the Emperor: "No, he was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and became an imperial guy and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy."

The entire series is anti-fascist, anti-nazi, anti-war, anti-warmongering and if you really want to go there, anti-republican.

So yeah, it's always been there. But somehow people now are blaming KK for pushing a political agenda. I wonder why it's suddenly a problem in Star Wars now when the women and minorities are on full display...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Who watches Star Wars thinking about a political agenda being pushed?

Plenty of people. Go on over to the TheForce.Net or one of the other Star Wars forums.

Look none of this is the point. The POINT is that Kennedy should get fired if ROS turns out to be a mediocre movie and dissapoints at the BO.

That's the only way you'll turn the franchise around. 

15 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I wanted him to say it but I doubt he will. Star Wars has always had politics infused with it. 

TLJ had 5 lines about animal cruelty and the new trilogy and Rogue One under KK has cast two women as main characters and minorities in prominent roles. 

Then again, the prequels literally quote GW Bush, have a disgusting and reprehensible character named after New Gingrich and Ronald Reagan and Lucas himself said "Anakin Skywalker is a promising young man who is turned to the dark side by an older politician and becomes Darth Vader. George Bush is Darth Vader. Cheney is the Emperor."

The original story idea was about the Vietnam war with Lucas wanting to tell a story of how democracies become dictatorships which he came up with as he watched Nixon during his reelection campaign. Another quote regarding the Emperor: "No, he was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and became an imperial guy and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy."

The entire series is anti-fascist, anti-nazi, anti-war, anti-warmongering and if you really want to go there, anti-republican.

So yeah, it's always been there. But somehow people now are blaming KK for pushing a political agenda. I wonder why it's suddenly a problem in Star Wars now when the women and minorities are on full display...

I basically have two thoughts leaving a Star Wars film. 1. Was it good or bad. 2. The music was awesome. I imagine if I wanted to I could find a political agenda in every single movie. Without fail. Probably. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I basically have two thoughts leaving a Star Wars film. 1. Was it good or bad. 2. The music was awesome. I imagine if I wanted to I could find a political agenda in every single movie. Without fail. Probably. 

I agree but there is just something...a little more in your face about the DT that gets certain people so upset. 

I have my reasons to dislike the new trilogy, and it mostly comes from a narrative and world-building perspective...

But by far the dumbest critique I’ve ever seen comes from the anti-sjw crowd that deems the franchise ruined because of “forced diversity.”

And when confronted, they really have no answer and just back into a corner. Like, ask them how to do diversity “right” in a movie. They just stumble over some vague nonsense and backtrack, but it’s evident what they really want. Where only one minority plays some supporting character a la Lando and it’s ok because it’s not “forced”.

In their minds, the Star Wars universe that spans millions of planets has a variety of alien species but only white humans and one black guy for some reason. Completely logical. Checkmate Libtards.

Edited by Rogue Jedi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I have my reasons to dislike the new trilogy, and it mostly comes from a narrative and world-building perspective...

But by far the dumbest critique I’ve ever seen comes from the anti-sjw crowd that deems the franchise ruined because of “forced diversity.”

And when confronted, they really have no answer and just back into a corner. Like, ask them how to do diversity “right” in a movie. They just stumble over some vague nonsense and backtrack, but it’s evident what they really want. Where only one minority plays some supporting character a la Lando and it’s ok because it’s not “forced”.

In their minds, the Star Wars universe that spans millions of planets has a variety of alien species but only white humans and one black guy for some reason. Completely logical. Checkmate Libtards.

Yeah, best to keep **** like that to themselves because the fact that the original had diversity, makes their intentions clear.

"Women and coloreds bother me unless they're relegated to support characters "

• Like 1