Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Flint Michigan Water Crisis

Boss_Hogg

this gives a bit of perspective (and no I'm not excusing anyone's actions)

http://www.investors.com/politics/capital-hill/some-perspective-on-the-flint-water-crisis/

“Flint’s 8,000 children have not had their lives destroyed,” Mastio writes. In fact, “even after Flint’s disaster, the city’s children have far less lead in their blood than their parents or grandparents did at the same age.”

He notes that in late 1970s, “88% of Americans ages 1 to 5 had at least 10 micrograms per deciliter of lead in their blood, or twice as much as today’s level of concern.”

By the early 1990s, he says, only 4.4% of children were exposed to so much lead.

Mastio also found out that Michigan had conducted an extensive blood-lead-level test in 2005 and found that more than 1 in 4 children under age 6 had levels above 5 micrograms per deciliter. “In the hardest-hit parts of Flint now, only 10.6% of kids have such concerning levels of lead in their blood.”

And if we tried every incompetent government official we wouldn't have a government.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

My experience with local government, after a career in it, is that there are a lot of low paid, low educated people making plans and decisions about stuff that affects a lot of people.  Most do care and do ok with it, all things considered, until politics (and the people who actually do get paid a lot) gets involved.  Just like happened here.

I did a short stint with a local gubment agency and still work closely with state and local gubment and by and large, this has been my experience as well. Don't discount the effect of high turnover rates though. That has little to do with the specific individuals manning a position and almost everything to do with the folks making sure local/state gubment is being run "efficiently".

this gives a bit of perspective (and no I'm not excusing anyone's actions)

http://www.investors.com/politics/capital-hill/some-perspective-on-the-flint-water-crisis/

“Flint’s 8,000 children have not had their lives destroyed,” Mastio writes. In fact, “even after Flint’s disaster, the city’s children have far less lead in their blood than their parents or grandparents did at the same age.”

He notes that in late 1970s, “88% of Americans ages 1 to 5 had at least 10 micrograms per deciliter of lead in their blood, or twice as much as today’s level of concern.”

By the early 1990s, he says, only 4.4% of children were exposed to so much lead.

Mastio also found out that Michigan had conducted an extensive blood-lead-level test in 2005 and found that more than 1 in 4 children under age 6 had levels above 5 micrograms per deciliter. “In the hardest-hit parts of Flint now, only 10.6% of kids have such concerning levels of lead in their blood.”

And I bet the higher lead levels lower cancer and infectious disease rates too because you know how the cancer and the germs hate lead. Such lucky kids! My eyes just rolled so far back in my head I can see my brain. Call me crazy but I'd be willing to bet articles like this would be non-existent if this happened in a more affluent area.**** this guy and the horse he rode in on.

It may not be a criminal offense but I'd sure love it if a judge ordered the governor and his cronies in State Govt. to move into Flint with their families until such time as the lead levels returned to safe levels. That might give them a little more perspective on things.

I'll be curious to see if Michigan will create programs to deal with the long-term effects of this, especially the increased risk of criminal behavior compared to other kids that weren't affected. I'm sure they'll address this since the right is well known for their firm belief that government can fix stuff (even stuff the government itself screwed up) and their WWJD compassion and forgiveness. Oh crap, my eyes may not ever roll back to normal position now.

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/01/flint-residents-told-that-their-children-could-be-taken-away-if-they-dont-pay-for-citys-poison-water.html

Is that a fake news site?

They're charging people for water they can't drink? Threatening to take their house?

Water that has caused lead poisoning?

I've seen this story on various sites, but can't find it on major news sites like USA Today, etc.  So it makes me wonder, granted it makes sense that they would not sell their homes due to the contaminated water, which is hypocritical, considering they are not evacuating homes and allowing residents to live there.  

If they are truly threatening to take away peoples children cause they won't pay for contaminated sewage, then there should be hell to pay when this is all over.  Talking prison time, cause that **** is criminal what they are doing to those poor people and children.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't buy this, but I thought I'd share it here to see what you folks think.......

attachicon.gifflint michigan water crisis.jpg

I call horse ****.  Did anybody know that switching to the Flint River would cause so many issues?  Politicians should be held accountable, and heads should roll (figuratively), IMO.  People need to lose their jobs.

But it's not like "the man" went out of his way to purposefully poison a bunch of folks. And it's not just blacks.  Flint is probably one of the most ghetto cities in the country, but like most mid-west ghetto neighborhoods, there's a lot of whites there, too. 

We already have enough black folks going overboard to make everything about race.  No need for some random white chick on The Twitter to help them out.  This is a social issue, not a racial one.  Contrary to what BlackLivesMatter might believe, teetering along the poverty line is a problem that many Americans face, not just blacks.

didn't they use stimulus funds for Flint water supply?

govt is dysfunctional

Man, I work in contracting for the federal gov't.  If I told you where some of the ARRA money for National Park Service and Dept of Energy went during my time with those agencies.... LOL.

I don't buy this, but I thought I'd share it here to see what you folks think.......

attachicon.gifflint michigan water crisis.jpg

I suspect that almost none of us here will buy into that...

I know I don't, and I definitely believe in white privilege in other contexts.  

Contrary to what BlackLivesMatter might believe, teetering along the poverty line is a problem that many Americans face, not just blacks.

The overwhelming majority of the people who organized or support BlackLivesMatter don't believe anything like that either.   Please stop falling for the meme.   Being particularly concerned about police treatment of minorities is not an anti-white position.  

I agree with all of this.

What I disagree with is that the state did nothing.   They put corrosive untreated water into the Flint water system which was significantly more corrosive than treated water.    That caused the led poisoning to be significantly worse than using treated water.   When they finally did begin to use treated water the damage was done.  It was too late and thus the state is responsible for how bad the crisis is today.

I think they denied it because the state of emergency is limited to natural disasters, and this had nothing to do with nature, only with incompetence 

There is such a thing as criminal negligence.   When they choose to put untreated water into the pipes which is orders of magnitude more corrosive than treated water it was pretty close to criminal negligence.   That decision carried out over months is what turned this situation into a crisis.   When they subsiquently realized their colossal and inexcusable mistake and decided to provide free bottled water just to the families of state workers..  I think they crossed the line.

Yes, the state is responsible.   It probably doesn't rise to the level of criminality, but it might depending on what other facts come out.   I reserve judgment. 

Nevertheless, the federal natural disaster emergency relief funds were not created for this type of problem.  This is a Michigan government problem, not a natural disaster.  If the feds are going to step in, they are going to have to appropriate specific funds for that purpose, not use FEMA money.  That decision  was correct.   

Flint fire chief suspects caustic water damaged trucks

FLINT — Flint’s fire chief says he suspects corrosive water from the Flint River contributed to damaging his department’s trucks.

Chief David Cox Jr. tells WJRT-TV one truck was put into use a year-and-a-half ago but already has rust around an intake valve and rubber seals that were damaged. He says such wear typically doesn’t happen for several years.

Cox says the issue hasn’t impacted the department’s ability to fight fires. He says they test trucks daily to ensure they’re working properly.

Click on the link for the full article

Archived