Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Lichtensteiger's return?

jnhay

Here's a quote better explaining it I think:

"It felt like he never left," Williams said. "I thought it was big from a leadership standpoint. A lot of people can bounce questions off him and draw from his knowledge, so I thought it was big."

More at this link:

http://www.pressboxdc.com/2016/01/07/redskins-trent-williams-its-an-emphasis-to-bring-your-a-game

I heard Gruden recently compliment Kory as being a 2nd QB on the field.  Ribs never received as high a praise, so maybe that is the foundation of "Kory is better at line calls".

I don't even know if Ribs was entrusted with that, but given how much he had to digest to convert to center this year, it would not surprise me if Cally had been trying to keep his responsibilities more limited.

Snap the ball, don't let Kirk get hit. Snap the ball, don't let Kirk get hit. Snap the ball, don't let Kirk get hit.

That's probably true. Many people around here seem to forget that LeRibeus was a G thrown into starting C duty without much training to it. When you take a look at the position, it doesn't seem that hard. Snapping the ball is quite easy. We've almost all praticed it in our backyards. Remembering a snap count is easy as well. Then, you focus on to blocking the guy in front.

That's basic C duty.

Not in the NFL though.

You've got to identify the D that is thrown in front of you. Call the block, identifies blitz, call them. That's a lot of things to process in the few seconds that are left between the huddle and the ball placement. I'm pretty sure lots of guys and gals around here wouldn't remember if they closed their car correctly a few seconds after if I asked them to do a few maths operations in between. Your mind focus to one thing, and you're not really sure. That's quite easy for some people, harder to others. It may takes tricks and time as you can't rely on somebody else to tell ya, or it'll get caught by the D. (That could also be a trick to drive some encroachment penalties btw).

Also, when you're in the trench, hand on the ball, you've called blitz and such... You got the guy with his hand on your ass starting ready set... And you've got a huge guy in front of ya (like Pot Roast) that is already bending his muscles and getting nervous about getting to the guy right behind you and wanting to rip your head off. Snapping the ball isn't that easy as you'll have to first snap before starting to block. Here also it takes time and tricks to learn.

So yeah, Bill, Jay, every one probably eased his way into the duty, but despise all his woes he still remained the starter when they reached for De La Puente, a vet C with lots of experience. That cannot be discarded. That cannot be discarded also that Kirk had his best game with Ribs at C. So I'll have to watch closely how the line operates with Kory back in the lineup. Hopefully better, but it'll be closely watched.

Now I believe that yes, we're gonna draft a C at some point in the draft, would have to check what they're really worth. Still, I'm not couting out the fact that Ribs will train full duty at C next year, with Reiter in the mix. Guy was a7th rounder, got cut short of the 53, was called back, and sticked on the team. So it's worth keeping an eye on him too.

The C competition will be interesting next year.

I hope fans don't use this as an opportunity to bash Ribs. I think the guy did an admirable job filling in. Especially in pass pro. If Lich is the key to get Almo going again this offense will be that much more formidable in play action.

Shoot I like ribs. He's a great guy for depth on the team. It's just he was 5th round prospect we took in the third and he has been the goat of some broken plays. All lineman face that but when you have a reputation of immature and lazy it's hard not to pick on him. Honestly I agree though. He has overall done a decent job starting out of position for our team.

For all his faults and inexperience, Ribs simply held down the fort, all that we should have expected.

Losing the starting job to the seasons true starting C coming back from injury, is nothing negative. Josh had a helluva year, a whirlwind with the new line coach, position change, thrust in the starting lineup next to 2 other greenhorns, and helped the team into the playoffs.

I cannot ever recall an OL so young. Sure the run blocking was shaky, but their pass pro exceeded likely everyones expectations, and kept Kirk off his back. Really, is there anything more important for a young QB still finding his footing, as Kirk was this year? A run game, sure, but that didn't happen. 

It sounds like Kory has been well enough to practice for many weeks, so the transition should be smooth / little rust.

Yep, that's why I have been theorizing they may have stuck with Ribs, even though far from perfect. 

Kory can call out the pickups like a QB, but things don't always go as planned. OL need reps next to the same guys so improvising comes naturally.

Isn't Kirk calling out protections now?

I thought I read that, but maybe that changes with Kory back?

I am not sure this is the best time to change, however.

I wonder if our OL are talking among themselves presnap as needed.

I know...a lil' worried...but Lich is suppose to be a smart center..maybe combined with Kirk calling out the initial pass protection he sees, Lich will make sure all Olinemen are on the same page with nuances and such...i hope...one thing about Rib (I've noticed and hear) is he holds on to a double team too long in the second level...Lich seemed to have the timing down of how long to help and then move on to the next D player...turning a 5-7 yard gain into a 10-15...or more...we shall see..HTTR!!!

I have been hugely critical of Leribeus the draft pick and Leribeus the football player

I will say he did okay in filling in. He might be decent depth. Really wish the guy would lose some weight and get serious about his conditioning. He could probably be a quality starter

De la puente was waived today I think, which is strange. I would've released leriebus instead.

This makes no sense. If Litch gets hurt again.. you want a terrible De la Puente who can't beat out LeRibeus to start taking snaps with Cousins? Rhythm is a dancer my friend. De la Puente was awful apparently. You stick with the centers Cousins is familiar with.

This makes no sense. If Litch gets hurt again.. you want a terrible De la Puente who can't beat out LeRibeus to start taking snaps with Cousins? Rhythm is a dancer my friend. De la Puente was awful apparently. You stick with the centers Cousins is familiar with.

Then be happy I'm not the coach...lol.

I have been hugely critical of Leribeus the draft pick and Leribeus the football player

I will say he did okay in filling in. He might be decent depth. Really wish the guy would lose some weight and get serious about his conditioning. He could probably be a quality starter

Don't forget that LeRibeus has been battling a chronic disease and doesn't say squat about it.  He's a lot tougher than many give him credit for. I'll be the first to give him a rash of **** for forgetting the count or making an errant snap, but he's one tough SOB.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/7/17/8981751/washington-redskins-player-profiles-josh-leribeus

If licht was physically stronger he would be elite. I hate that he gets man handled at times. Where ribeye just seems to be poor in technique when he gets schooled. Licht at time gets pushed into the pocket.

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  We'll have to address that in the draft.  For this game though, going with Steiger is the right call.  Not just for helping to make calls but now the snap count can be a weapon for the offense again.  I'm sure Trent and Moses will appreciate having the ball snapped on time instead of still being in their stance while DE's blow by. 

One more HUGE issue is the inconsistent snaps.  When your QB is in the Pistol he absolutely MUST have the ball come to his hands.  With Steiger back Kirk won't have to guess where the ball will be.  That will allow Kirk to get his eyes on the defense a half a second or a full second longer.  Kirk's mind works very quickly.  Give him another second and it's scary thinking what he can do.  

De la puente was waived today I think, which is strange. I would've released leriebus instead.

Ribs wasn't drafted to be a center.  Seems silly to cut a guy because he sucks at a position he isn't drafted for.  Indeed, give the guy a few props for stepping in and give it his all when needed.  I'd say that is exactly what makes this year's Reskins team different than the past decade, a willingness to get in and do whatever it takes. 

Ribs wasn't drafted to be a center.  Seems silly to cut a guy because he sucks at a position he isn't drafted for.  Indeed, give the guy a few props for stepping in and give it his all when needed.  I'd say that is exactly what makes this year's Reskins team different than the past decade, a willingness to get in and do whatever it takes. 

For sure...and Rib has made himself a valuable back up along the line..

Don't forget that LeRibeus has been battling a chronic disease and doesn't say squat about it.  He's a lot tougher than many give him credit for. I'll be the first to give him a rash of **** for forgetting the count or making an errant snap, but he's one tough SOB.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/7/17/8981751/washington-redskins-player-profiles-josh-leribeus

Thanks for that link. I learned a lot about Ribs.

Martial Arts? Callahan FTW

Shoot I like ribs. He's a great guy for depth on the team. It's just he was 5th round prospect we took in the third and he has been the goat of some broken plays. All lineman face that but when you have a reputation of immature and lazy it's hard not to pick on him. Honestly I agree though. He has overall done a decent job starting out of position for our team.

His reputation of immaturity and being lazy comes from a time where our OL wasn't great, our coaching OL wasn't great. It's highly probable that all of these are tied. AFAIK, this year he seems to have bought in the scheme and training stuff Callahan brought in here. Moses also wasn't remembered with a strong ethic of work last year. See where he is right now.

Some guys need boots to asses to improve on their work ethic, looks like Ribs is one of them. As long as Bill's runnning the OL we wouldn't have to worry much about that kind of stuff from our OL. Because those that do won't be here much longer.

But hey, that thread is turning into some love for Ribs, nice from the kid!

Archived