Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Assassination of the Eagles at the Linc

NewCliche21

My brother-in-law, one of the few very classy Eagles fans in existence, texted me three weeks ago telling me that he was taking me to the game for Christmas.  At first I was stunned, "I'm Jewish, why the hell is he getting me something for Christmas?"  But then I was elated, and then terrified.  I started a thread on here asking, "Um, hai, how do I go there and, you know, not get dead?"  Well, last night was the night, and it was glorious.

We got there about three hours before kickoff, and I've gotta say, the way that Philly has their sports scene set up in relation to the highway and with all three major sports venues within walking distance of each other, that is how it should be done.  Makes our set up look like ****.  Anyway, we get to Xfinity, and there's a sea of green that's the same color as my infant's diapers when he's having a bad stomach day, and very little burgundy and gold.  There were a lot of Eagles fans practicing for their team's spelling bee and then being very, very impressed with themselves once they successfully completed this awe-inspiring achievement.

Aside from that, it was mostly just an overcrowded series of bars and restaurants just like any other city.  When I had to hit the head (apparently that means go to the bathroom, which I learned last night), there was a very loud and long chant about the Redskins apparently sucking some guy named Richard; I didn't quite follow.

We get to the game, and man, the more opposing team's places I go to, the more I am ashamed of FedEx.  Can't wait until we get out of that dump.  Lincoln Financial Field isn't gorgeous, but the gameday experience is pretty awesome.  They don't have the Funky Four, though, so at least we beat them there.  Oh, and we also beat them on the scoreboard at the end of the game, which I'll get to.

The Eagles fans weren't nearly as bad as advertised.  If you weren't an asshole Redskins fan, then they really weren't that bad.  I had one nutjob behind me who was screaming, calling me a Richard head, but he was hilarious.  He decided that everyone had to stand up on third down, but then when we kept converting, he was screaming at people to *NOT* stand up.  The entire time you could see in his girlfriend's eyes, "Please dear God, make me a bird, so I can fly far, far far away."

The first drive sucked.  I mean, it was awful.  A thing of beauty for an Eagles fan, and it just sucked being a Redskins fan there watching it.  Then we respond and tie it up!!!!. .  . and miss the extra point.  It felt like one of *those* games were in the making (spoiler alert: it wasn't).  Bradford overthrew a wide open Ertz, and that was I think the turning point for good.  Agholgoguroufsor, or whatever the hell their first-round pick is, dropped that guaranteed touchdown, and I was dying.  Well, no, the Eagles hopes were dying, but I was laughing my ass off.

Then we get to the end of the half, and my brother-in-law goes, "So, what would happen if Kirk accidentally took a knee instead of spiking the ball?"  And then, well, you know.  He looked at me like he thought that I was going to kill myself, but I just shrugged and said, "That's so Redskins."

They did boo Jackson and call him an asshole every chance they got.  Because, you know, he quit the team and wasn't cut for literally no reason except for the coach's ego.  Oh, wait.  Reverse that.  They also didn't like the refs.  I did like the refs.  A lot.

Then we proceeded to beat the **** out of them in the second half.  Hall's return for a touchdown wasn't quite Sean's, but it was beautiful.  The fans started leaving with about three minutes left in the third in order to beat traffic, and then five minutes into the fourth, they were out in droves.  You could see Broad Street (you have to take this street to get to/from the stadium) was ridiculously backed up all the way from our seats, but they just kept going.  The Eagles scored another touchdown, the fans talked about some comeback against the Giants for a minute, and then that was that.

All in all, it was a very, very good night to be a Redskins fan, and a very, very bad night to be an Eagles fan.  Saw a car accident getting out of the parking lot, one Eagles fan didn't understand that you can't go through another car, and he learned that lesson the hard way.  Was kinda funny.

It was a good time, and god damn am I proud of this team.  Hail to the Redskins!

Awesome writeup NC21!  I've been to the Linc several times and it is a good atmosphere. Please don't tell me your brother-in-law actually predicted Kirk was going to take a knee!  I think he was just practicing the victory formation, but that's just me.

Brother, I wish I were joking.  He looked at me and said it with all lack of seriousness, and then it happened.  Same look on the face as if you had this conversation:

Me:  Hey hail2skins, how's your girlfriend?

H2S:  She died.

Me:  . . . . . umm . . . . .

You really can't beat doing the enemy in their own house. 

More Americans should travel and experience this. 

We're quite well-versed in this, it's just usually involving firearms, artillery and other implements of war.

Good to get the occasional home win too, which I'm sure you're well acquainted with ;)

For the record, hit the head is a common phrase. Maybe since I live in Annapolis I hear it all the time. It's what our Navy/Coast Guard grow up using the "head" on a ship which is the bathroom.

Glad you lived through it. What did you end up wearing?

This was Gregg Williams defense at one time... He claimed he was telling his Saints D to use the barthroom a lot

Didn't work

It was a good time, and god damn am I proud of this team.  Hail to the Redskins!

Did you get to spend anytime in Center City? Say what you want about Eagles fans, downtown Philadelphia is one of the best in the country. 

It's a shame a lot of peoples only experience is the stadiums and the south jersey drunk fest that is infinity. I was actually not that impressed with the Linc, the atmosphere is good and they get loud but for a newish stadium I don't think it's amazing. Hell of a win last night, must have been nice to see it in person. 

Did you get to spend anytime in Center City? Say what you want about Eagles fans, downtown Philadelphia is one of the best in the country. 

It's a shame a lot of peoples only experience is the stadiums and the south jersey drunk fest that is infinity. I was actually not that impressed with the Linc, the atmosphere is good and they get loud but for a newish stadium I don't think it's amazing. Hell of a win last night, must have been nice to see it in person. 

Trim your quote right down mate before you get a slap on the wrist. 

Hail. 

Quite envious of the experience NC so help me. 

Hail.

This is true. I was at the Sean Taylor game in the Linc many years back and I was at the RG3 debut in New Orleans. Both are among my most treasured sports memories. The top one is, of course, Minneapolis in 1992.

Great post!

Quite envious of the experience NC so help me. 

Hail. 

I'll go to any & every away game that I can afford if the NFL implements designated awayside section seating. 

I'll see you at Wembley. Get ready. 

This is true. I was at the Sean Taylor game in the Linc many years back and I was at the RG3 debut in New Orleans. Both are among my most treasured sports memories. The top one is, of course, Minneapolis in 1992.

Great post!

WAIT! You were in Minneapolis to see the culmination of my all time favourite team/ season, which I could talk all day on like it was yesterday?

I'm sorry to say I can no longer be your friend at present. That horrible green eyed envy thang. 

It will pass. ****ER!  :lol:.

I'll go to any & every away game that I can afford if the NFL implements designated awayside section seating. 

I'll see you at Wembley. Get ready. 

Excellent idea I've never which I've never understood why they haven't. 

Man alive I'd be deadly Stateside. SO many ideas I'd be rallying round. Starting with fan groups putting pressure on the Redskins and getting open dialogue to make the whole experience better. You guys have SO much to learn. 

I look forward to you in London my friend honouring yer auld fella. :). Just praying TV doesn't double plan a date with the German one at say Utd. That would be quite the dilemma. 

Hail. 

I got surprised on Christmas Morning with tickets to the game. I just got home a couple of hours ago. This was by far the best road game I have ever been too. I will never miss a road game with a chance to clinch the division again as long as I am alive. There is no better feeling in the world than watching the opposing teams fans stream out of their stadium with over a quarter of football left to play. Knowing that their season is OVER. And a new season is really just beginning for us. Cousins was fantastic last night. The celebration on the Redskins sideline with 1:30 left was incredible. Last night was what being a fan is all about. Just a completely EPIC experience.

Great writeup! I'm jealous.

On a side related note, I didn't realize how lacking the gameday experience at FedEx is until I went to a Nats game at the park. Nats Park is truly their home, with the memorabilia on the walls, and the impromptu history lessons. FedEx is a stadium where the Redskins play, but it is not their home. See the difference?

For the record, hit the head is a common phrase.  Maybe since I live in Annapolis I hear it all the time.  It's what our Navy/Coast Guard grow up using the "head" on a ship which is the bathroom.

Glad you lived through it.  What did you end up wearing?

I'm from Columbia and worked in Annapolis for a bit, never heard it, but it makes sense.

I wore Redskins socks and that was about it in terms of gear.  There was a somewhat-obnoxious Redskins fan in a Riggins jersey in front of me who I was glad to not be associated with.

I laughed so loud when I saw Cousins knee and then after kneeling attempt to spike and then stand up and try to run. It was one of the funniest things I've seen. If he wasn't such a beast in that game, that would have gone down as a gigantic blunder. Well, still does, but it's forgivable. 

I bet Gruden had fun with that one in film.

Archived