Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lack of media coverage for 91 year old man beaten to death, set afire

walker77

I don't mean this in a callous way, but should it make national headlines?  The suspect is in custody, it sounds like his family cooperated in turning him in, and ultimately this involves just two families.  It's not a string of crimes or something that has any impact on things outside of Detroit.

I don't agree with the implication that being horrific is what should qualify something to be national news.

I don't mean this in a callous way, but should it make national headlines?  The suspect is in custody, it sounds like his family cooperated in turning him in, and ultimately this involves just two families.  It's not a string of crimes or something that has any impact on things outside of Detroit.

I don't agree with the implication that being horrific is what should qualify something to be national news.

It probably would be very big news in right wing publications online if it weren't for the Colorado shooting. Another "black thug kills white person" story; no way they could resist.

I don't see it on Brietbart, but they're pouring all of their resources right now into a distraction campaign on the Colorado shooting. Their current big story is "Bearded CO Springs Killer Voted as Female".

It probably would be very big news in right wing publications online if it weren't for the Colorado shooting. Another "black thug kills white person" story; no way they could resist.

I don't see it on Brietbart, but they're pouring all of their resources right now into a distraction campaign on the Colorado shooting. Their current big story is "Bearded CO Springs Killer Voted as Female".

I read the article briefly but it doesn't say if the killer was a "black thug" or not.  It doesn't say anything about race.

Girl I grew up with saw her father murder her mother right in front of her, before shooting himself.

World never stopped to tell her story or start a twitter-ism (granted it didnt exist) or tshirt drive.

Murder/arson cases aren't that uncommon anyway. Maybe if you're lucky, it'll be on Forensic Files or Investigation Discovery in about 5-6 years

I read the article briefly but it doesn't say if the killer was a "black thug" or not.  It doesn't say anything about race.

That was a USA Today link. I'm talking about what the far right online publications would likely say.

For example, the very first words in the title of the DownTrend (super right wing publication) article is "Black Teen"

http://downtrend.com/71superb/black-teen-beats-91-year-old-white-man-to-death-sets-body-on-fire

Girl I grew up with saw her father murder her mother right in front of her, before shooting himself.

World never stopped to tell her story or start a twitter-ism (granted it didnt exist) or tshirt drive.

Murder/arson cases aren't that uncommon anyway. Maybe if you're lucky, it'll be on Forensic Files or Investigation Discovery in about 5-6 years

Exactly. This terrible **** happens every single day and the sad thing is we've all become desensitized to it. Another day, another murder.

I don't see it on Brietbart, but they're pouring all of their resources right now into a distraction campaign on the Colorado shooting. Their current big story is "Bearded CO Springs Killer Voted as Female.

So why isn't the Washington Post reporting it then?

That was a USA Today link. I'm talking about what the far right online publications would likely say.

For example, the very first words in the title of the DownTrend (super right wing publication) article is "Black Teen"

http://downtrend.com/71superb/black-teen-beats-91-year-old-white-man-to-death-sets-body-on-fire

So you're going to a right wing publication and getting a right wing spin.  What's your point?

Kudos to USA Today for not making it racial.  

I

A story about a woman being arrested for cutting in line at a bestbuy in Springfield,Va on Thanksgiving made its rounds around the nation. If that makes national headlines (Washington post, Huffington Post' etc.) then exactly should be the qualifier to make a national headline?

A story about a woman being arrested for cutting in line at a bestbuy in Springfield,Va on Thanksgiving made its rounds around the nation. If that makes national headlines (Washington post, Huffington Post' etc.) then exactly should be the qualifier to make a national headline?

Someone being arrested (that someone is also a woman) for cutting in line would generate more pause/discussion from me than a guy being murdered and burned to death.

Now if that guy was William shatner ir somebody like that, it would be different. But its not. Its a random old guy. And thats the way life is. Its terrible. Its tragic. And we will both likely have no memory of this 2 weeks from now

I don't see anything about some woman cutting in line on the front page of either of these web pages right now. Stop reaching, man, are you bored or something? This "debate" will go nowhere and isn't going to help anyone.

So you're going to a right wing publication and getting a right wing spin.  What's your point?

Kudos to USA Today for not making it racial.  

I was answering the OP question about why it isn't huge news. My answer would be because, unfortunately, awful things like this happen all the time. And I said that, if it weren't for the Colorado shooting, the far right wing publications would be all over it; probably front page news. They honestly can't resist any story that shows a young black person hurting a white person...especially in a manner so brutal. And you can bet your ass the person's race would be front and center and the word "thug" would probably show up.

So, the USA Today is not a national publication.

OK, roger that.

You have a valid point. I realized soon after I posted it I should have re-phrased the question more along the lines of "more national headlines" however I think rational people would have assumed that.

You have a valid point. I realized soon after I posted it I should have re-phrased the question more along the lines of "more national headlines" however I think rational people would have assumed that.

It was a tongue in cheek comment.

Me?

I wish there were less headlines to incite controversy. It feels like most of America is getting played by the media right now. Played like a fiddle. This country has never been more safe and yet civil unrest seems to be growing.

Now, the white people are getting upset because there are more and more news stories about police (usually white) killing blacks, usually with excessive or unreasonable force. They want to somehow show that there are equally bad things happening to whites that go unreported.

You know what? There probably are equally bad things that happen to white people. What is reporting on it and starting a national discourse going to do? What is it going to help?

The people of this country are getting spun into a tizzy by the very media that is supposed to check and balance the government that we no longer trust.

As to the woman getting arrested story... it's a Black Friday thing. Every year, local news stations stake out Best Buy and other retailers to talk about the madness or lack of it. This fits in with the already built in story line. More, they probably already had resources there. The availability of live tape of the event probably pushes it over the edge.

Abuse of a senior citizen, murder, and arson is a more important story. The Black Friday story touches on economics, consumerism, social behavior, and crime. It's not a non-story, but it's a thin one in comparison to murder.

No kudos from me on that. Race just is not an issue when the situation is right.

I'm thinking (hoping) they chose not to make it an issue here.  They could have easily said "young black male" but chose not to.  A good analysis of USA Today would include their previous stories where race could have easily been mentioned but wasn't made part of the story.  

The people of this country are getting spun into a tizzy by the very media that is supposed to check and balance the government that we no longer trust.

I think the media is one of the biggest enemies this country faces on a daily basis.  

Archived