Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

On 1/16/2023 at 7:06 PM, Tundra scout said:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection migrant encounters at the southern border surpassed 250,000 for the month of December, the highest ever recorded, a Department of Homeland Security source, who requested anonymity as they weren’t authorized to speak publicly, disclosed to the Daily Caller News Foundation.

The new total surpasses May 2022’s more than 241,000 migrant encounters, which was the highest DHS ever recorded before December 2022.

https://www.westernjournal.com/record-shattered-southern-border-time-high/

Pretty great news for a country that is currently experiencing a labor shortage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

•  
  • Mayor of New York wants a border czar. He apparently didn’t know we have one. Well one in name only 

New York City Mayor Eric Adams called on the appointment of a "national czar" tasked with handling the influx of migrants across the southern border – even though that’s the same role Vice President Kamala Harris was tapped to fulfill nearly two years ago by the White House. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-city-mayor-eric-adams-demands-national-czar-migrant-surge-role-vp-kamala-harris-already-has

• Haha 1

@Captain Wiggles care to elaborate on what you disagree with?

I mean, I think Spanish should be taught it school standard but it isn’t. Americans speak English. You can make the argument “we need someone to work on the fields” if you want, but that isn’t the type of immigration I want to support.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Meh there are plenty of universities here that can teach skills n English. 🤣

I disagree with the notion that skilled laborers is exclusively what's needed. Hospitality, agriculture, transportation, construction are some sectors facing labor shortages.🤷‍♂️

Transportation and construction are jobs that require special skills.

So what, you want to let them accross the border to be hotel servants and field workers? Seems like a modern slave trade to me. Yea they are getting paid, but not enough to get them out of whatever job they are stuck in…

2 hours ago, tshile said:

In my personal experience immigrants are among the hardest working people we have. I’d trade a lot of our home grown trash for them any day. 

but inability to communicate effectively can be an issue. 

Yes, motivation is not an issue. But acting like allowing desperate people to cross into our county without a support system for them will result in anything good is feckless.

• Thumb down 1

I agree that our system is broken from top to bottom. 

how long it takes to get in legally

how easy it is to get in illegally

how convenient it for us to have them here illegally, working hard, paying some taxes but not getting all the benefits, being stuck in a lower life of servitude because not being a citizen presents a low ceiling 

how 30-40 years worth of politicians in both the legislature and executive have refused to do what’s necessary

it’s ****ed up from top to bottom. 

and no reciting what’s written on the Statue of Liberty doesn’t help one damn bit. 

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So what, you want to let them accross the border to be hotel servants and field workers? Seems like a modern slave trade to me. Yea they are getting paid, but not enough to get them out of whatever job they are stuck in…

Thank you for supporting an increase in the minimum wage being paid to the Americans performing those same jobs. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Thank you for supporting an increase in the minimum wage being paid to the Americans performing those same jobs. 

I won’t. Minimum wage is a dumb concept that keeps poor people poor. It should be abolished.

Making ****ty jobs a career is not good policy.

And no matter what you set the minimum wage to doesn’t provide long term real wage growth to the poorest. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

13 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@Captain Wiggles care to elaborate on what you disagree with?

I mean, I think Spanish should be taught it school standard but it isn’t. Americans speak English. You can make the argument “we need someone to work on the fields” if you want, but that isn’t the type of immigration I want to support.

Somewhat shortsighted I'd say. The children of those mere laborers grow to be teachers and nurses, their children are surgeons and lawyers, etc etc.

I daresay a great many of our families began with strong backs, dirty hands and a wish to be free but little else.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I won’t. Minimum wage is a dumb concept that keeps poor people poor. It should be abolished.

Making ****ty jobs a career is not good policy.

And no matter what you set the minimum wage to doesn’t provide long term real wage growth to the poorest. 

Gee. How did I know that the guy who doesn't want foreigners working those jobs, because it doesn't give said foreigners enough money to get out of poverty, also opposes the job being done by Americans, and giving them more?  

And how did I know that his response would consist of a few slogans, pretending to be facts, with no attempt at an actual solution, or even a recognition that his slogans contradict each other?  

So please enlighten us what you think should be done with those jobs. You've already declared your opposition to Mexicans doing them, because the jobs aren't good enough for the Mexicans. And you've ruled out having the jobs done by Americans, and making the job acceptable for Americans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Being against minimum wage policy (or certain aspects of it) isn’t the same as being against someone being paid X for a certain job or whatever. 

So, uh, this imaginary person's position is that Americans should get paid more, but it should just happen magically?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

And how did I know that her response would consist of a few slogans, pretending to be facts, with no attempt at an actual solution, or even a recognition that his slogans contradict each other?

There is no contradiction.  If minimum wage got people out of poverty, I would support it. But we’ve had minimum wage for decades with no impact on poverty. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

So please enlighten us what you think should be done with those jobs.

robots 😎

1 hour ago, Larry said:

You've already declared your opposition to Mexicans doing them, because the jobs aren't good enough for the Mexicans.

That isn’t what I said. I said allowing them to immigrate with the excuse that you can send them to the field is wrong. It’s wrong because you are exploiting them, because they have no realistic way to move on from those jobs. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

And you've ruled out having the jobs done by Americans, and making the job acceptable for Americans. 

No I didn’t. I said the low paying crappy jobs shouldn’t be a career for Americans. A grocery store bagger with 15 years experience is not something which should be entertained by paying them a living wage.

Hopefully you can comprehend now the two ideas aren’t exclusive. My emphasis should help you out if you are still have difficulties.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

So, uh, this imaginary person's position is that Americans should get paid more, but it should just happen magically?  

It’s not imaginary. It’s the conversation you’re having. Stop being a dolt. 

there’s a difference between pointing out the terrible wage conditions given to illegal immigrants 

and supporting specific minimum wage concepts. 

you know that you’re just being obtuse in an incredible way. To the point you seemingly can’t follow your own conversation 

Just a correction: I’ve been referencing illegal immigrants. 

but i suppose the conversation is just more generally about immigrants. 

Maybe. 

I kind of always associated the abuse of immigrants to primarily be based on abusing the lack of officially authorized status. 

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

Just a correction: I’ve been referencing illegal immigrants. 

but i suppose the conversation is just more generally about immigrants. 

I think the idea presented is that illegal immigrants shouldn’t be illegal immigrants  and we should support their immigration status because we can have them work on farms/be maids at hotels. 

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think the idea presented is that illegal immigrants shouldn’t be illegal immigrants  and we should support their immigration status because we can have them work on farms/be maids at hotels. 

On some level there’s truth in that. 

But that shouldn’t be *the* reason. 

I don’t think it’s wrong to accept migrant workers doing lower level jobs - in a general sense.