Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgold's Book Tour: Going back to Mars Con (Williamsburg, VA) on Jan 13

Burgold

My inner geographer has to inform you that it's up north, down south, back east and out west. 

Make sure the bathrooms are safe at that conference.  :P

I have thought about the NC Law thing, but have come up with two rationalizations. 1) My presence won't change a thing and my advocacy if asked might do some good. 2) If there's one place that should be a safe haven for transgender folks it's a convention in which cosplay has gone rampant. (silly)

All right, big week coming up. Packing the car and driving down to Wilmington NC for the Cape Fear Comic Con today. Then, turning right around to do the Day of the Book in Kensington, MD on the 24. Hope to see some of you there. The best part of these author events (other than selling books) is chatting, trading stories, and being engaged.

Two in one week though? It's almost like I'm a real author??? Yikes!

Thanks again to Thebluefood for co-piloting the table at Cape Fear. The Con was a ton of fun and a pretty big success.

Was also kinda fun to meet the actors from the Walking Dead who sat behind me and Jimmy Valient, former WWE star. He did a little wrestling bit and for a 73 year old it was pretty darn fun.

Next up on the tour will be the DMV with a free show in Kensington.

Totally dig this new Goodreads review for A Halo of Mushrooms!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1587909921…

A Halo of Mushrooms 
by Andrew Hiller (Goodreads Author) 
Brad's review Apr 19, 16
it was amazing
bookshelves: fantasy, reality-bending, urban-fantasy 
Read from April 17 to 19, 2016

What a weird book! I mean, from the title, it should be rather obvious, but instead of getting a magic mushroom ride of a book, I get a REAL MAGIC MUSHROOM RIDE OF A BOOK, with the sparkly bits, too. smile emoticon

At its core, the novel is both literally and subjectively focused on Wonder. It's a genre all by itself. We're supposed to ooh and ahh and get all tingly and say, "That's pretty cool," and guess what? It succeeds.

I was entirely sold in the cooking magic. I was completely enchanted. Think about a cooking urban fantasy and then turn it up a few notches, and you'll get this...

An epic fantasy spanning many alternate worlds, armies of monsters wanting to snuff out the Wonder? Whoa. I thought this was a novel about magic in the kitchen!

It is pretty cool. It kinda jarred me at first, because who expect that? I was still completely sold on the kitchen stuff. smile emoticon Why go the epic route, too? With kitties? Nah, it's okay. It remains interesting and a real trip. Literally.

Take a ride on the wild side. Taste of the vigor. Meditate on the ring.

But most of all, feed your mushroom!

There's a taste of the absurd, a taste of the magic, but more than anything, it lets you swim in the wonder all the way through the text. smile emoticon

• 3 weeks later...

Latest review on Goodreads... This one a 4 star (Hey, they can't all be 5 stars)

Saphana

this is a phanstastic book. It serves new ideas, desserts as weapons and characters that actually and really grow on you, they are so real and mirroring REAL problems, for example: catatonic, complete indecision.

Fast paced it never let me go away for more than a couple of hours and as a result, managed to draw me out of my 6 week reading slump. High Five for that.

If this author writes anything else, count me in.

By JFleit on May 11, 2016

Excellent read. A meaningful trip through the universe. Gastronomical delights abound. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommend reading A Halo of Mushrooms. It happily surprised me.

------------------------

Latest Amazon Review. Loving my readers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Mushrooms-Andrew-Hiller-ebook/dp/B01740ZELI?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01740ZELI&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=x_gr_w_glide_bb&tag=x_gr_w_glide_bb-20

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I find pretty exciting to me is how so many non-fantasy readers seem to be really enjoying the book... that it seems to reach beyond the confines of its genre. That includes sci fi readers like Hap, but also people who claim they normally don't read either fantasy or science fiction. I've always believed a good story is a good story. Pretty pleased that my rating is still 4.6/5 on Goodreads and 4.9/5 on Amazon.

Latest review (some spoilers)

Fascinating, original, imaginative book. 

I usually don’t search out fantasy-genre, but something about that title just drew me in. And I’m so glad I gave this a chance. 

The first half really had me captivated: Derik, an alien anti-hero who stumbles onto Earth with a loose grasp of English sentence structure and social mores, searching for a job so that he can blend in and hide from his intergalactic pursuers. He gets a job at a bakery, creating other-worldly creations that make him impossible to keep a secret. Derik and his two new friends, Imani and Lara, have to find a place for the Wonder he holds to take root and grow before those who would kill the Wonder get his hands on his precious cargo. The fantastical smells and tastes in the bakery, and the effect of the umami cloud pastries created by Derik, were tantalizing.

The second half was more chase-and-run thriller, which was fun, but with a different pace than the first half. I got lost a few times as to why the bad guys were after the good guys, and the backstory left me somewhat confused, but I just went with it and enjoyed the story. It’s probably more the fault of the reader than the author here, as I tend to read quickly when things are exciting! 

This is a wild foodie urban sci-fi fantasy adventure. Reminded me of “Fringe,” and that’s quite high praise indeed. 

Everyone's a critic, Poker. One guy rated it three stars and everyone else five. Good reads has a bit more of a spread with something like 12 five star reviews 3 four stars and one two star. It's those outliers that really kill you.

Overall though, it's pretty amazing how well the book has been received. Need more readers and reviews though :)

Archived