Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgold's Book Tour: Going back to Mars Con (Williamsburg, VA) on Jan 13

Burgold

Minor hiccup (I hope), snows delayed UPS, so my delivery of books for the next Con is in limbo. These are modified covers with the Charles de Lint endorsement and so when I ordered I only bought half the stock I wanted for the Con. I did a virtual proof this time instead of a physical one which is why I did the half order.

Hopefully, it works out. It would be terrible to go to the Con with only ten books! (I sold out all but ten copies at MarsCon)

P.S. An ESer pmed me the other day with comments about the book after reading it. Made my day. I have confidence in my work, but you never know how people will respond to it.

• 2 weeks later...

One week to Farpoint. The books are being shipped. Someone convinced me to make t-shirts and so they'll be on my back. I might bring a few extras. I think they look good if a little homespun.

This one's in Timonium just outside Baltimore. So, if you are close and have a hankering to chat or meet cast members from Empire Strikes Back (minor character) or Firefly come on by.

In other related news, I've just completed the first read through of the next book. I think it turned out really well. I'm sending it off to my first round beta readers now (the people who love me enough to really beat me up and tell me what they think) and then on to my friends and pros, before hiring an editor again. The biggest question are do I stick on this indie path, try to go traditional again, and in either case should I try another kickstarter?

The jitters aren't quite as big for this Con as for the last, but the worries are still the same. How will it go? Will I sell any books? Will it be a good time?

About to pack the trunk and head off. To Timonium/Baltimore for Farpoint at the North Baltimore Radisson. 

First day went pretty well. Farpoint has far fewer people in costume than Mars Con did. My favorite though was a Deadpool Klingon. Cool guy too. I was warned that Fridays are generally slow as people are still working, checking into the hotel, etc. There was a nice patch of interactions somewhere between 4-6, I'd guess. Then, it died away.

The big theme this year seems to be Star Trek and Batman's 50th. They brought in a couple of Star Trek screenwriters (thinking Larry might enjoy meeting them) and a few canon novelists.

I stayed active at the Con 'til about 11:45 pm. Will be setting up shop again around 8:30 this morning. Coolest part, once again, I got someone who came back to me who bought the book early in the day who said he'd just read the first chapter and was really digging it (bought the book that afternoon)

Saturday was fun. Lot of window shopping by the attendees. I think the one downside of putting the authors in the dealers room is that people fly by as they are pushed by the press of people. The fun part of Mars Con was chatting with people and swapping stories or talking about the craft of writing. That still happens a bit, but it's less when you're in the main room. I guess if for no other reason, it's louder.

I wonder though if Mars Con was the exception. I haven't been to many of these. I know that Awesome Con was the same way. All the artists on the main floor just grouped in the middle and surrounded by rows and rows of vendors.

Farpoint is over. I've been asked to be a guest at Shoreleave and am considering it. Much bigger stars attending. Headliner is probably Karen Gillan (Dr. Who) Saw her once at Awesome Con. She is gorgeous. 

Any who, Farpoint was a lot of fun, but a struggle financially. I managed to turn a profit (barely) and from what I gathered from other authors and vendors I was one of the few who did. I also made some interesting connections and the networking aspect is important.The business of being an author is one I am learning more about.

Leaving Farpoint at Warp Factor 3.

I think so. 

I enjoy Star Trek, but am far from a Trekie.

There were many in Star Trek garb (though Star Wars might have out numbered them or come close) I will say costume watching is kind of fun. You're slightly removed from all the craziness as an author at these events, but at the same time in the middle of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just discovered an amazing (and absurd) profit opportunity out there.

I was looking at Amazon and noticed that while my book was retailing for 11.99. Three different use book vendors were selling copies for 25 bucks. Apparently, you can double your money just that quick.

Read my book and get twice your money. Act fast... lol

Edit: on a serious note. I get contacted by a potential reader who said they wanted to my book and went to Amazon on their iphone, but only the paperback was listed. On my desktop, I can see ebook and paper editions. Can someone verify for me that the ebook is unavailable by smartphone. I put a note into Amazon already. Could be a UK thing, but I'm concerned. I didn't see it on my phone either, but not sure if it's an Apple thing or not.

Thanks.

My cousin runs a business on Amazon and makes a nice side income doing it.  Basically resells products on Amazon and marks up the price.  He drop ships everything so he holds no inventory.  I have seen his sales and it amazes me he sells product.  Obviously a lot of people out there don't research very well.  Every product he sells on Amazon you can get from other Amazon sellers for less money.  It's weird but it works for him.

Had a recent flight to Cali, and finished the book I was in in the middle of on the way over. Picked up the kindle version of Halo of MUshrooms for the flight back. Enjoyed it (and yes I left a review on Amazon)

Congrats man, and good luck.

Have you tried to get it on the Nerdist Community Corkboard (gets promoted in front of The Nerdist podcast with Chris hardwick)? LOTS of scifi/fantasy folk listen https://m.reddit.com/r/nerdist/comments/2tmzrv/promotion_bulletin_board/

Thanks Bliz! I'm so glad that you liked it.

I'll have to check out that board. Haven't done much Reddit.

I've never messed around with their Reddit thread, but typically only 4 or so per week will get mentioned on the podcast. So, I would limit it to an elevator pitch only, and mention the conventions you're going to be at

• 3 weeks later...

Admit it, you guys missed this thread!

In one week, I'm taking my book up to North Carolina where strangely I will be one of the featured artists along with Gregory French (Walking Dead) Pro Wrestling Legend Jimmy Valient, and one of the guys behind the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. If you're near Wilmington, NC please stop by the Cape Fear Comic Con. The door price is pretty cheap... only five bucks, I think. ES' Bluefood will also join me... so, there's a bigger reason to show :)

If free is your speed and you're in the DMV. The Day of the Book aka Kensington Book Festival is on Sunday April 24. This is an outdoor fest and I should be there all day. Love to meet some of you and get back in touch with others!

Support a dream. HTTR.

Archived