Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgold's Book Tour: Going back to Mars Con (Williamsburg, VA) on Jan 13

Burgold

So, they just approved the table.This creates some logistics problems. It probably means I have to rent a hotel in Williamsburg. 6 hours is too long a commute up and back for three days. I also need to find a good comic and science fiction nerd to accompany me who can handle the table when I have to be away. Also, I have to make sure, I have enough display items, books, and everything else!

Who would have thought writing a book would be so like running a business! lol

Good problems! Hope to see some of you there.

Set up a iPad and have your nerd answer questions remotely. The other science fiction nerds would love that!

Make a cardboard box around the iPad so it looks like they are talking to a futuristic video tv. Maybe draw lots of buttons and dials on the box in future colors.

Science / Science Fiction guy for sure just no comic knowledge.  Comics in my home growing up was viewed by my Naval Pilot Father as a waste of time like professional wrestling.  I was all baseball and swimming.

Anyway, if you need a place to spend the night, you could stay with us in a private apartment / room with full bath.  Five miles from I-95 on exit 133 West.  It is still about two hours from Williamsburg depending on traffic.  I usually make it in an hour and a half depending on traffic.

Okay, I don't know if this will be cool to anyone else but me, but I just got a note from Charles de Lint. He is one of my favorite writers and one of the pioneers of urban, contemporary fantasy and magic realism.  He called me a "good writer" and thought my plot and setting was inventive.

Okay, momentary fan boy melt down... then I need to be a pro again.

This has all the makings of your next novel! Travel around the country staying with random Redskins fans. Oh the hijinks that would ensue.

That could be awesome. It could be another "Magical Mystery Tour" what Beatles fan wouldn't enjoy that ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, things are lining up nicely. New cover is approved with Charles de Lint's endorsement and a book review blurb on the back. My notes are lined up for the panel. I have a small collection of books in a box for Mars Con (hopefully, I sell at least one) and we're active again on Amazon now that the proof's are done.

Have no idea if anyone is near Williamsburg, but if you are... come to the Con. It's Jan. 15-17 and full of concerts, cosplay, books, movies, comics, authors, and illustrators. It will be a nerdster's paradise."

I want to thank Event Horizon again for his incredible generosity and offer!

Wish me luck!

I suspect Major Harris is right and no one really cares... but this has sort of functioned as my author's journal and so I'll continue on for a bit. Bags are packed. I picked out what I will wear for my panels. I think I'm ready. I have a few jitters, but also a feeling of excitement. I suspect I will be a small, mostly ignored fish at the Con, but hope it is a good time nontheless.

If you are reading this... thanks :)

Low rent educators of hillbillies (or should that be low rent hillbilly of educators?) who gave up their dreams of being pygmy goat breeders years ago are just hating out of envy.

This is the more appropriate quote - 

I'm not afraid, I'm not afraid (Yeah)
To take a stand, It's been a ride
Everybody, I guess I had to
Go to that place
To get to this one
Now some of you
Might still be in that place
If you're tryin' to get out
Just follow me,
I'll get you there

You keep it up Burgold.  I, for one, am able to enjoy it vicariously.  And really, I'm all that matters.

Might oughta get some of this though, link.

:D

MarsCon was a blast.

My favorite moment was probably when a reader who bought the book on Saturday came up to my table on Sunday and said she was already at page 50 and loved it! We chatted for about 15 minutes. It was cool chatting with the Con folks, gawking at the costumes (Cosplay Harley Quinns can be hot as hell) and the panels I got to participate were a blast.

The second one which was a writing panel on how to avoid crutches and cliches began funnily enough. We all sat down and one of the panelists said, "So, who's going to moderate?" After a pause, I jumped in. Turned out the others were a senior editor from Baen Books, and a Hugo Award winner. Luckily, I've led a whole bunch of round tables in my radio work and it played out really well. In fact, so much so, that the editor gave me his email and asked me contact him directly whenever I finish my next project.

In crass terms, I sold about two-thirds of the inventory I brought, plus 8 cds of my Muppet documentaries, and a couple prints of my art work. That's not a killing, but I covered expenses, plus made a bit of profit.

It was a lot of fun!

And man, those cosplayers really have some amazing skill and put extraordinary effort into their costumes at times.

The only downside was that I was pretty tethered to my table and didn't get to explore and chat with as many people as I'd like to. Otherwise, it was a great time!

I uploaded a few photos at my book's Facebook page... check it here or a more go to the MarsCon Facebook page for a much better selection of the Cosplay stuff. It was a pretty great time for my inner nerd.

https://www.facebook.com/haloofmushrooms/

Next up on the book tour is TImonium, MD just outside of Baltimore in mid-Feb. For Firefly fans, they're bringing in some of the actors from that cult series. After that, Wilmington, NC where for some bizarre reason, I may be one of the featured artists at the Cape Fear Con.

Next up on the book tour is TImonium, MD just outside of Baltimore in mid-Feb. For Firefly fans, they're bringing in some of the actors from that cult series. After that, Wilmington, NC where for some bizarre reason, I may be one of the featured artists at the Cape Fear Con.

Definitely drop the deets about the Timonium visit once we all dig out.

Archived