Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgold's Book Tour: Going back to Mars Con (Williamsburg, VA) on Jan 13

Burgold

Thanks BCl05

What would be the recommended age for your book be Burgold?  

There's no graphic violence or sex in the book so I think it's got a pretty good range. I did write it as an adult book though. It's probably for 15 +, but if a child reader has a good vocab they probably could handle it at 12. 

If you're curious you can check out the first two chapters for free here:

http://andrewhiller.net/a-halo-of-mushrooms-preview

Thanks BCl05

There's no graphic violence or sex in the book so I think it's got a pretty good range. I did write it as an adult book though. It's probably for 15 +, but if a child reader has a good vocab they probably could handle it at 12. 

If you're curious you can check out the first two chapters for free here:

http://andrewhiller.net/a-halo-of-mushrooms-preview

Thanks.  My daughter is 8 and is big into reading, so she might need to wait a few more years so she can understand it, but won't hurt to go ahead and pick up a copy :)

Curious your book reads like its from the old world yet they have smart phones and ear buds.  What was your decision on doing that?

I chose that type of narrative style because I wanted to make our modern world alien and somewhat magical to Derik. When a stranger arrives he sees our world through the prism of his experiences and philosophies. So, he'll see ear buds and try to make sense of it based on what he knows. In the opening chapters, Derik has just arrived on Earth. Some of it makes sense to him and some doesn't. He's used to a non technological world or at least less science driven one.

Too funny - Amazon sent me an email today with a list of books about growing up mushrooms, "based on my past viewing history".  

Goofy algorithms. OLS

I can't assess how goofy the algorithm is without knowing how many books involving magical mushrooms you might have clicked on beyond Burgold's.  :P

That's funny. There's no phishing with mushrooms!

Went to Balticon yesterday. Decided to go not as an author or writer, but just a fan of SF/Fantasy. Had a fun time except when they had to evacuate the hotel because of an "emergency". Apparently, someone tried to set off a smoke machine in one of the ball rooms and the hotel system's thought everything was ablaze.

On the way down the stairs, everyone was asking what the emergency was... so I quipped that "Clearly, not enough people were buying my book." I got laughter and a couple of people asked what it was about. I shared the synopsis and it sparked interest. I was asked if I had any. Of course I did :D

Moral of the story... authors, like Boy Scouts must always be prepared.

Latest Review 5 stars

This novel is an enchanting mushroom trip, so to speak. The protagonist is an otherworldly wizard fleeing his tormentors and carrying a heavy burden -- a sci fi twist on the age-old story of a haunted refugee in a foreign land. Hiller portrays Derik's fragility, loneliness and perseverance with astute precision. His journey is a terrifying yet rewarding one. This story highlights the virtues of accepting the goodwill of strangers and letting go. Looking forward to a sequel -- the Mushroom Redux?

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/56326397-vadim-mahmoudov

Went to Awesome Con today and got to dust off the old interview chops. Interviewed John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlin on Arrow, and Captain Jack Harkness (Dr. Who/Torchwood) plus about 7 other authors, comic book artists, etc. Also got to yack about my book and the role of social media and editing plays in indie writing.

Fun day. Part II tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Just got notified of this review and thought I'd share.  Sometimes, on a rough day a little escapism is good. 

http://www.ryanjdoughan.com/blog

A Halo of Mushrooms by Andrew Hiller Rating 9 out of 10

Fresh, new, and delightful.  In Halo of Mushrooms, Hiller offers something superbly different from other paranormal fantasy novels.  This is no vampire romance; it is a desperate race across worlds in a nearly hopeless attempt to preserve…wonder, of all things.

(more at the link)

This weekend, I'll be leading a couple of panels at Shore Leave Con near Baltimore. Trekies, SF, comic, or fantasy fans should come. I'll be speaking at 10 and 6 on Saturday.

If you don't want to see me you ought to come for some of the Celebs like Dr. Who's and Guardian  of the Galaxy's Karen Gilan. Here's the website:

http://www.shore-leave.com/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest review on Amazon (from the tweeter I mentioned yesterday)

ByMs Sparkleson July 27, 2016
You can read A Halo of Mushrooms in so many ways: As an adventure, a fantasy or, a morality play covering laziness, environment, economics and caring for your fellow man.

It has some anecdotes and some laughter and I found myself trying to direct the characters. The alchemy for healing the planet include the healer, the baker, the scientist, the monster, the natural (elephant) and the spiritual (flying lizard). I also loved the teased romance with Derik and the ladies (Imani and Lara). I do not like fiction books, but read it from the beginning with an open mind and truly enjoyed it. Now, I cannot wait for the sequel. I love the creative imagination and the grounding of the story. I must say, Hiller has put something in the book for everyone. I love his quotes, and words of wisdom. The monsters, kind of taken me back some. As I read, I could see the monsters in us all. I was admiring Lara's attire at first, Imani's hunger for business, but it is Derick's stature and fear that kept me focusing on the story.

“Recipes are important, but the best cooking is done by feel. I think the heart is right. You can feel the love in a dish. It needs that love.”

The author is very creative to have written the story as he did. It is open to interpretation to decipher the meaning. In the book, the mushroom has the wisdom with its beam of light and wonders. The book leaves us to as to determine our purpose that benefits the universe. Thank you, Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share the latest book review interview :)

http://www.imagochronicles.com/IMAGO_FANTASY_REALM/Blog/Entries/2016/8/6_Andrew_Hiller_Interview.html

Looking for a great summer read? If so, I’d like to introduce you to talented writer, Andrew Hiller, the author of A Halo of Mushrooms! I’d like to begin by having you share a little information about yourself with our readers, Andrew. What do you enjoy doing when you are not writing?

AH: I love libraries and used bookstores, but there’s nothing like going around town with a sketchpad. Living near Washington DC there are so many beautiful parks, monuments, and things to sketch. Getting lost in the color, motion, and texture of the day frees you, feeds the mind and the soul. 

Has writing stories always been a part of your life and was it a lifelong dream to become a published author?

AH:  I’ve been lucky. I always wanted to tell stories and I’ve gotten to do so on NPR, the stages of New York, and in at least two novels, but probably the most fun I ever had was my Muppet experiences working with Dave Goelz, Fran Brill, Jim Lewis, and so many others. To be allowed inside that world, to write with the original Jim Henson gang and perform with many of those actors/muppeteers was geek heaven. 

I’ve also written, reported, and hosted on the radio for about ten years. Working with WAMU, public radio, and an international news bureau has helped me to hone my writing, editing, and understanding of story. Getting the opportunity to interview people like John Kerry, Mark Hamill, Jim Baker, Nobel Prize winners, etc. has been a delight. Every day, you learn something new and to be let into those worlds is an incredible privilege. I try to put a lot of that into my writing.

Some think of writing as a solo endeavor. It is not. It’s incredibly collaborative. We depend on each other: editors, fact checkers, artists, designers, friends, and most of all readers.

(more at link)

Latest book review!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01740ZELI/ref=x_gr_w_glide_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_glide_bb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01740ZELI&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

5.0 out of 5 starsinventive fantasy
ByMarkon August 7, 2016
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
Reading this book will transform your perceptions of the everyday world. It finds delight in ordinary things and turns them into wonders

Pretty darn cool. I wound up meeting Dr Who and Stargate Atlantis creator Mark Wheatley at Awesome Con. I must have made an impression because he wound up picking up my book and even read it.

I got this email from him this morning (which he has since given me permission to share)

Hey Andrew,
I read "A Halo of Mushrooms."

This is exactly what good fantasy should be (and almost never is) - original, colorful, rich with wit and ideas while managing to comment on life in general.  You're good at this.

Always feels good when someone in the biz gives you a thumb's up!

It might be a weird fit, but I'm going to be doing a book signing on Wednesday August 31st at the LA Fitness in Wheaton, MD. Anyone who comes by and mentions me or my book (A Halo of Mushrooms) gets to use the gym for free that day. It'll be a chance for my DMV friends to work out the body and mind lol. Hope some of you can come!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't done one of these in a while, but my next book is getting pretty close, I got badgered into producing a new cover for A Halo of Mushrooms by one of the Dr. Who creatives (Mark Wheatley) who has become a fan of it... and I'm pretty close on two new novels.

Plus, I got this pretty cool review on Amazon today.

ByMark
Reading this book will transform your perceptions of the everyday world. It finds delight in ordinary things and turns them into wonders.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got a pretty pleasant mistake on Goodreads.
I was reworking A Climbing Stock, but hadn't decided whether to go indie or seek out a publisher and gave it to one of my beta readers, but instead of letting me know what he thought in an email he found the original Goodreads listing and posted this review--
-- Brad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor, worldbuilding-sf, economics, 2017-shelf
What a pleasant surprise! I expected a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk but I didn't expect it to drill down this deep or have quite this much traditional Fantasy adventure including so many dragons and cows and amazingly powerful Corporate Giants getting involved in the whole sordid mess of losing an economic empire.

What?

Yeah! Economic empire and boardroom situations and fire-breathing battles!

Not to mention great wordplay and situational humor. I'll never forget the whole sequence of the Prince and the great artist Buck that depicted the great Kingdom's White House and the portrait of his father George Washington. ?

Seriously. There's a whole lot of Bull in this book. Literally. Or should I say that the golden calf and the religion it has spawned is a true delight? Or how much I love the fact that a Dragon can become a Cow. ?

Don't be a Jack! The corporate world is a real killer!

I was caught on the first page and even though the build-up in the novel was slightly slow for me, the situational humor in the Fantasy and the juxtaposition of the whole corporate world ideas kept me fully invested until the action took off and blew me away. ?

I chuckled quite consistently and the ending was extremely satisfying. ?

Even though I consider the author a friend, I need to reiterate that this is a truly unbiased review.

Thank you for the great read, Andrew! (less)
Now, I'm more perplexed.

Archived