Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgold's Book Tour: Going back to Mars Con (Williamsburg, VA) on Jan 13

Burgold

Thanks!

It'd be awesome to get into schools or make the book club circuit. I've sent pitches to a number of shows. That'd be a lot of fun. Certainly, I'm there if anyone needs a filler segment :)

Let me know what the librarian has to say?

Just a head's up for anyone looking for late holiday gifts. It'd be great if you would consider my book. I'll post below what the reviewer's on Goodreads had to say about it (I'm pasting all of 'em).  Thanks!

A Halo of Mushrooms was an intriguing read filled great characters and a captivating plot. Andrew has a beautiful style of writing that displays the time and effort put into this novel. This book is certain to impress you.

Typically, I do not read fantasy books as much as I do contemporary. However, I loved A Halo of Mushrooms. The story lures you in from the first sentence. The characters complimented the story incredibly. The characters were well developed and unique. Finally, the writing style
 ...more

f_50x66-6a03a5c12233c941481992b82eea8d23
A thoughtful and well crafted story focusing on the main character Derik who tries to go on despite terrible odds and a number of adversities. The setting of the story and the fantasy environment was very nicely envisioned and I liked the unexpected twists of the story that added up to the experience, definitely one of the best I’ve read lately and the dialogue was impressive as well. Overall, a must read for fantasy lovers, highly recommended.

I am stunned and I mean that. This is my first Andrew Hiller read and I have to comment on his talent first. This guy has a way with words. It's smart and unique story that is only matched by Hillers, poetic story-telling ability. There is this tone to the work and lures you in right from the Prologue, where he is merely speaking of a cat… yes, a cat that sucked me right in. Don’t laugh, you will see just what I am talking about. I know this is a fantasy but I am telling you right now the writin ...more

m_50x66-82093808bca726cb3249a493fbd3bd0f
A really good read, and a fun one, too. Well paced, with characters I enjoyed following. Hiller's take on magic is fresh, organic, and believable. His descriptions of the creative process--whether it involves cooking, problem solving, or spell casting--are so rich and immersive, they could only come from an artistic mind. This is fantasy for someone who has matured beyond the regurgitated D&D stereotypes, but who still wants to experience the joy and wonder of unbridled imagination.

u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530
What a joy to read this book! I was taken on a wonderful journey for saving the world. The story is filled with wonderful characters I wish I could have coffee with,supernatural bakery delicacies that had my mouth watering and hoping for a clue how to make and a story that had me spellbound. 

Sit down with a hot beverage and give yourself a special treat.

What impressed me the most about this book are its undertones, the nuanced critique of today's growing fear of the unknown, of those who look different, who think different. The fantasy world needs more writers like Andrew Hiller. His prose is commanding, intense yet open and inviting. With this book, we are witnessing the resurgence of a much-needed new American voice in the fantasy book world. Highly recommended.

Most fantasy makes us want to close our eyes so we can see with our mind's eye the world the author presents to us. A few allow us to imagine sounds so loud they block out reality or a quiet that beckons the reader to wish anything would fill it. Andrew Hiller in A Halo of Mushrooms presents us with a mouth watering fantasy story of wonder about the power of another of our five sense, taste. The only other fiction I've read of comparable appeal to taste was Like Water for Chocolate. 

The power of
 ...more

12799675.jpg
Wonderful read - engaging, enjoyable, fast moving - the author does a great job of crafting the characters and story. Highly encourage everyone to pick up a copy

Thanks!

It'd be awesome to get into schools or make the book club circuit. I've sent pitches to a number of shows. That'd be a lot of fun. Certainly, I'm there if anyone needs a filler segment :)

Let me know what the librarian has to say?

I teach at a middle school.  I'll mention it to the librarian and the language arts teachers. :)

Edit: Actually screw that.  I'll buy a copy and give it to them.

This is pretty cool. The reviewer is a comic book writer who has worked for Marvel and some other pretty big name comic publications! Nice review.

5.0 out of 5 starsAn excellent modern fantasy

ByMike Gagnonon December 15, 2015

Format: Paperback

Andrew Hiller’s “A Halo of Mushrooms” is a brilliant read. Truly refreshing and unique in the realm of modern Fantasy. Hiller blends sharp storytelling with a deft talent for description that pulls the reader into the fantasy world of Derik the healer, and his journey through the strange Earth city of Clarksburg. Never have I read a fantasy where the author devotes the same attention to descriptive detail for lavish worlds, real life settings and something as normally mundane as cooking. Hiller uses all five senses to draw you into hi world, a rare feat for any author.

I may be gushing to myself, but look at this review! The responses I'm getting to my work are amazing!!!

URBAN FANTASY PROMO – A HALO OF MUSHROOMS

Even with indie authors on the rise, it’s sometimes difficult to see anything that goes against the grain.  There are tried and true stereotypes of the fantasy genre that you just see time and time again.  Though self-publishing has made it worth the risk for some to try something new, it’s still a very rare thing indeed.  Author Andrew Hiller proves that sometimes it’s worth it to think outside the box.

It’s almost difficult to describe A Halo of Mushrooms as an urban fantasy.  It almost strikes you more as a foodie fantasy (eat your heart out, George Martin).  It evolves past that, of course, but Hiller begins his tale with plentiful, savory details.  His words are crafted with an unfamiliar cadence that makes even something as mundane as preparing (and eating) food seem magical and full of whimsy.

And then of course there’s the characters.  While Imani and Lara are normal enough in their presentation, it’s Derik who steals the show. Like Ichabod Crane in Fox’s Sleepy Hollow, Derik is a man out of time—or at the very least, out of place.  He speaks with eloquence unbefitting of the people we normally surround ourselves with, and it’s at time’s disjointed, but more often than not, strangely charming.

A-Halo-of-Mushrooms.png

Once planted, it lives everywhere… 
In a place of origins, the first Fairie Ring withers. Worlds die. Wonder fades. As its last ripple reaches out, fell creatures barricade up the few remaining Bald Mushrooms and wars are fought for the right to possess what precious little remains…. Until Derik, a healer, creeps through lines of armies, thorns, and traps to steal one.

Sacrilege.

Tying the wonder to his hip in a sack, he finds himself alone on Earth in the gray, declining city of Clarksburg. Without friends, tools, weapons, and even stripped of the ability to read, he must escape pursuit and find refuge for his burden. A burden that stubbornly refuses every attempt to find it a new home. 
Shadows of war are descending and all Derik has to fend it off is a baker, a chemist, a cerulean sweet, and a withered hope. 
The chase is on….from world to world and from the Great Lakes to Malawi.

Hiller has the distinction of being a little bit of everything.  Radio host, painter, playwright… he’s done it all.  A Halo of Mushrooms is his latest venture into entertainment, and he shows that he excels at fiction as well.  If you’re interested in this book, you can purchase it at Amazon today!

Let's keep the correlation strong. Redskins have won each week my book popped within the top 500 of Amazon's Best Seller List (Fantasy). If you were considering a new book and like fantasy please consider mine. Likewise, if you know anyone who enjoys the genre that you want to buy a small gift for...

You can read a preview here... 

http://andrewhiller.net/a-halo-of-mushrooms-preview

or

here http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Mushrooms-Andrew-Hiller-ebook/dp/B01740ZELI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1450710657&sr=1-1&keywords=a+halo+of+mushrooms

In all honesty, I am really excited about the reviews and the response the book is generating. I hope more readers find it and spread the word. Books still grow mostly through grass roots and the grapevine.

It is a freakin HIT!  Both my girls have read it, and my son is now reading it.  The librarian at my school is very impressed.  She is going to request funds.  Andrew, this is huge.  You are going to have a very Merry Christmas.  This is almost "going viral" here in the Spotsylvania County School System.

Good for You Mate!

Thanks! That's potentially really exciting news! If they need to get in touch w me to arrange a reading or for whatever reason let me know and I'll give you or get them my contact info!

Also, really glad they enjoyed it!

Make sure they and you know your welcome to submit an Amazon or Goodreads review.

Okay, last post about the book before Christmas.

I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to those who supported A Halo of Mushrooms in its infancy as a beta reader, kickstarter donor, and those who have bought the book. The trust, feedback, and joy you've reported back to me has meant the world.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate Christmas. Happy holidays to everyone else.

Your support has blessed me. I am incredibly awed by the response to the book and how well received it has been by those who read fantasy and many who don't. I hope it continues. Thanks also to the Mods for their indulgence in this thread. I do hope to hear from more of you who have read this book. Feel free to post in this thread or through PM.

Thanks in the future to any who give others a chance. I love the way ES comes together to support each other whether for a simple project and dream like mine or something more crucial like with Dave and Karla.

Merry Christmas. May any coal you get provide you warmth and good barbecue. 

^^ Wait What?  How did that happen?

They move pretty quickly. No sales since Christmas eve. Amazon updates hourly. I think my number is a product of gross sales for the period and short term trend sales.

We'll see what happens. It ain't over yet.

Probably only need about 10 sales to bring me back into the 500's. Though I'd like to be a lot greedier than that.

Just got asked to lead two panels at MarsCon! Love to meet anyone in Virginia who geeks out on sci fi, fantasy, or comics. My panels will be on the role of women in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and a writing workshop on how to avoid plot holes and cliches.

Hopefully inbetween I'll be able to chat about my book too. Still working out details. My panels are on Sat Jan 16 at 4pm and 7pm. The Con is in Williamsburg, VA. Looks like a fun time... I hope so anyway.

Archived