Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

54 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, you're saying that red flag laws are actually to allow the government to confiscate weapons from people who are merely suspected of opposing the current political powers?  

:) 

Atomwaffen Division is a terrorist group. “Opposing the current political powers” is an interesting way of framing their recent spat of killings and hate crimes around the country.

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Atomwaffen Division is a terrorist group. “Opposing the current political powers” is an interesting way of framing their recent spat of killings and hate crimes around the country.

Smiley wasn't enough of a hint of sarcasm, huh?  

Gun policy gets its biggest political test in the Virginia Beach district that suffered mass shooting

VIRGINIA BEACH — The ad begins with grainy footage of the municipal building, somber music and a woman’s voice: “May 31 started out like any other day,” Karen Havekost says, then describes walking out of the bathroom at work and seeing a gunman on a rampage that killed 12 people.

She slams her state senator, Republican William R. DeSteph Jr., for failing to “make a difference” on gun violence. The campaign ad — sponsored by DeSteph’s Democratic opponent, Missy Cotter Smasal — has stirred raw feelings in Virginia Beach, where almost everyone seems to know somebody touched by the mass shooting in the municipal building more than four months ago.

The tragedy has elevated gun policy statewide in this pivotal election year for the state legislature, with voters calling it the top overall issue in a recent Washington Post-Schar School poll. No candidate is pressing the topic more than Cotter Smasal, who thinks outrage over the mass shooting in her city will be key in turning a red-leaning district blue on Nov. 5.

National groups on both sides of the gun control debate have poured resources into the district, viewing it as a warm-up for next year’s presidential contest as gun violence continues to make headlines around the country. And Democrats see the race as a measure of how far they can go on election night in taking majorities in the state legislature, with Republicans defending narrow margins of 20-19 in the Senate and 51-48 in the House of Delegates, with one vacancy in each chamber.

“The key battleground is Virginia Beach. It’ll speak to the kind of night we’re going to have,” one Democratic strategist said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the party’s thinking.

Democrats like the optics of the race: Cotter Smasal, a business executive and Girl Scout troop leader who crusaded for school safety even before the shooting, against DeSteph, a wealthy developer and licensed gun dealer.

Click on the link for the full article

Man with concealed weapon accidentally shoots himself in the leg at Park Meadows

LONE TREE, Colo. — A man with a concealed weapon accidentally shot himself in the leg Sunday evening while at Park Meadows mall, the city of Lone Tree said in a tweet. 

The incident happened about 5:49 p.m., and the man was transported with non-life threatening injuries, the city said. There is no threat to the public.

It's unclear if the man will face criminal charges or whether the mall was evacuated.

According to the code of conduct at Park Meadows, firearms are not allowed.

Santa Rosa Shooting: 1 hurt at Ridgway High School; 3 schools on lockdown

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KGO) -- Santa Rosa police say they are responding to a shooting at Ridgway High School that injured one person. Police are actively searching for the lone shooter.

Police say that the victim is already receiving medical treatment.

Police say this was an isolated shooting just outside of campus. There are no further reports of violence in the area.

Ridgway High, Santa Rosa High and the Santa Rosa Junior College are currently on lockdown.

Click on the link for more

Teen girl shot accidentally by Uber driver while riding as his passenger

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A South Florida teenager is recovering after being shot accidentally by her Uber driver. 

That 15-year-old girl left Memorial Regional hospital Monday surrounded by flowers and balloons. 

The bullet that hit Bailey Braun went through her ankle and exited her heel, the girl's mother told Local 10 News. 

Bailey said she and her boyfriend were at his home in Pembroke Pines when they ordered an Uber to take them back to Aventura. 

On the way, Bailey said the driver had to pick up another ride. 

"The (driver) was going to move his gun, and it went off," Bailey said. "We just hear like a big pop, and then we heard ringing in our ears."

She said that at first, she didn't feel anything. 

"I didn't know I got shot at first," she said. "When I moved my foot, I just saw blood coming out. (The driver) was like 'I'm sorry, I didn't know if went off.' I knew it was a gun when he said that."

Bailey's boyfriend, Alcy Zaldivar, was in the car and remembers when she started screaming.

"'I got shot. I got shot,'" he recalls hearing. "Then the (driver) came around and was freaking out, grabbing his head and he was just like 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry"

Florida man caught with loaded handgun at Portland International Jetport

A Florida man was detained on Thursday after he allegedly brought a loaded gun into Portland International Jetport.

The man, who was not identified, had a 9 mm handgun loaded with 12 bullets, including one in the chamber, in his knapsack when he attempted to pass through a checkpoint at the Portland airport, according to Lisa Farbstein, a spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration.

The gun was found when his knapsack passed through the checkpoint X-ray machine, and TSA officials alerted airport police, who detained the man for questioning, Farbstein said.

This is the second time this week that TSA has detected a loaded firearm at a checkpoint at the Portland airport. On Wednesday, a Minot woman, who the TSA also did not identify, was caught with a loaded 9 mm handgun tucked into her purse. Those are the only two firearms detected at the jetport so far this year.

In 2018, 4,239 firearms were discovered in carry-on bags at airport checkpoints across the country, up from 3,957 the year before, according to the TSA. Nearly 90 percent of those were loaded, while a third had a bullet in the chamber.

Man, 88, fatally shoots girlfriend during argument over guns: police

LONG POND, Pa. (AP) — Police say a Pennsylvania man fatally shot his girlfriend during an argument over his guns.

Pocono Mountain Regional Police say 88-year-old Bernard Pedreira shot 72-year-old Lydia Alamillo Bulaon at their home in Tunkhannock Township early Thursday.

A police affidavit says Pedreira told officers he was cleaning his guns when his girlfriend yelled at him to put them away. Police say Pedreira told them she grabbed a loaded gun and it went off, killing her. Court papers say he later told police he had "his finger on the trigger" at the time.

51 minutes ago, China said:

In 2018, 4,239 firearms were discovered in carry-on bags at airport checkpoints across the country, up from 3,957 the year before, according to the TSA. Nearly 90 percent of those were loaded, while a third had a bullet in the chamber.

Wanna know what's really scary?  Occasionally, I read news stories.  The TSA runs tests every year.  Ringers try to get through airport security, with simulated weapons in their baggage, to see if TSA catches them.  

Typically, around 90% of them get through.  

33 minutes ago, Larry said:

Wanna know what's really scary?  Occasionally, I read news stories.  The TSA runs tests every year.  Ringers try to get through airport security, with simulated weapons in their baggage, to see if TSA catches them.  

Typically, around 90% of them get through.  

what kind of simulation?

They search my **** well even w/o weapons , most certainly odd metallic objects.

maybe podunk airports are different.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Somewhat related, I think...

last spring the local baseball team did fundraisers that were raffles for guns

felt weird ...

Very.  Now I'm not saying gun raffles should be banned, I posted that article because it jus seemed like a terrible idea for it to happen in a school with the number of school shootings going on.

16 hours ago, visionary said:

At first I was surprised the Supreme Court allowed the lawsuit to continue, since there are federal laws in place that protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits when their guns are used in crimes.  But after reading this article on NPR's website (see below link) it makes sense why they allowed it. Evidently there is an exception that allows lawsuits against gun makers/sellers if they knowingly violate federal or state laws on how a gun is sold or marketed.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/778487920/supreme-court-allows-sandy-hook-families-case-against-remington-to-proceed

Though, I wonder how this will play out in court.  The shooter had a past history of mental illness and access to the guns only because the mother was a gun owner.  Not passing the buck to mental illness, just pointing out that due to all the mental health issues the shooter had (and it was multiple issues) I wonder if they will be able to prove that the marketing of the assault rifle by Remington actually influenced the shooter to move forward in mass murder.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

On 11/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I have seen multiple organizations do them.  And in every one it stated on the card that you'd have to pick it up from an FFL and do the paperwork just like you were buying it new.

Yeah. Definitely

it just felt weird seeing guns auctioned off to help 10-12 year olds. Given what’s going on right now with regards to guns...