Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

I'm going to post here so as to not take away from the officers shot being discussed in the other thread.

Everyone knows I'm pretty hard core gun rights guy. But I've had discussions and been able to agree to something reasonable gun control measures as people like Burgold here can atest to. The way things are going lately make me want to pull some of that back. The world is not going in a positive direction and the worse it gets, the more I want the tools to protect my home and family if the need arises. I will still agree to a training requirement for a person wanting to have a weapon though.

I think in opposite terms. All this gun violence makes me think America can no longer handle the guns we have.

Would those police still be alive if there was strict gun control? Call me snowflake, naive, etc - but I think YES. I don't rejoice whenever "good guy with a gun" goes wrong.

I am not sure I posted upthread the recent Texas mom who murdered her kids in front of husband, or accudental shooting death of 14 year old son by dad who had a shell casing go down his shirt.

Emotionally you may feel safer, but statistically its a car safety vs. airplane safety argument. .

I think in opposite terms. All this gun violence makes me think America can no longer handle the guns we have.

Would those police still be alive if there was strict gun control? Call me snowflake, naive, etc - but I think YES. I don't rejoice whenever "good guy with a gun" goes wrong.

I am not sure I posted upthread the recent Texas mom who murdered her kids in front of husband, or accudental shooting death of 14 year old son by dad who had a shell casing go down his shirt.

Emotionally you may feel safer, but statistically its a car safety vs. airplane safety argument. .

The NRA kool-aid is super strong. Once you've drank from it, there's almost no way back.

The NRA kool-aid is super strong. Once you've drank from it, there's almost no way back.

The NRA only has what, 5 million members?

They are easy to counter if the gun control movement had single issue voters who consistently show up in the voting booth and boot out gun loving nutjobs from state and local legislature.

I've come to the conclusion that if the left can't match the enthusiasm of gun nuts at the polls, then accept the world they've created. They are excercising their democratic rights better than we are.

To sidestep - Buzz, don't you find it curious that in response to ISIS and other threats, European countries aren't clamorring for pro-gun legislation?

Curious? No. I didn't say that I think every person should have a gun. I'm saying I want mine and am glad I can have them to defend my family and home if needed. As for a fix to all this, I have no clue what to do anymore. But I don't think more gun control is it. Maybe if we could snap our fingers and remove everyone's guns, I might agree. But since I don't believe in magic, and there will still be tons of guns out there, I want mine to defend myself from someone who has theirs and I'll intent on how to use them.

Training? Like the training the Dallas sniper employed?

That's a bold stance!

Don't know that training that in depth is needed but something like it yes. Give instructors some training on how to spot the questionable and they can be further investigated. Kind of like if some flight instructors had said something before September 2001.

Wow.  Licensed gun owner waits till robbery is over, follows armed man to the parking lot, calls to him, and then shoots him, several times, when he turns. 

In self defense. 

Bravo. 

was he robbed?

was he protecting other lives such as his wife?

Bravo is a bit much for taking out that trash.

was he robbed?

was he protecting other lives such as his wife?

Yes, it sounds like he was robbed. Was he protecting lives by shooting a robber who'd already left the scene of the crime and was fleeing? That's a stretch.

I have mixed feelings about whether this on some levels, but he was hardly being Captain America or the Lone Ranger stopping the crime and safeguarding lives. The bad guy had left the building. The threat was over. He did stop the robbery.

consider it a citizen stopping a fleeing armed felon...we still play that way here

See, I can be conflicted, but at least deal with that rationalization. Saving lives by essentially shooting someone in the back running away? Nah.

And is far as I am concerned if the guy is running away and you call his name and as he turns you shoot. You shot him in the back. He was certainly a bad guy and a thief, but the shooter ain't a hero just a vigilante.

See, I can be conflicted, but at least deal with that rationalization. Saving lives by essentially shooting someone in the back running away? Nah.

And is far as I am concerned if the guy is running away and you call his name and as he turns you shoot. You shot him in the back. He was certainly a bad guy and a thief, but the shooter ain't a hero just a vigilante.

Pretty sure he could have shot him in the back if he wished under our law in those circumstances.

you think he knew his name?....or is it more likely he told him to stop?

Neither hero or vigilante to me....good citizen though

The law is in all our hands, some just prefer to toss it it others.

add

Vigilante is not dealing with a crime in progress(which includes fleeing with the stolen property)

now if he hunted him down later and simply shot him maybe

Edited by twa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe NSFW

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-guns-idUSKCN10Z2MW?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Texas students use sex toys to protest new gun laws on campus

To protest a new state law that makes the carrying of concealed handguns legal in college classrooms, students at the University of Texas on Wednesday openly displayed sex toys, an act considered illegal under local indecency laws.

• Like 1