Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Gonna have to disagree with this one.  Though a person with a gun hasn't solved the issues with 90% of the people in DC.

I'll admit that this was the one I had the most hesitance writing. Yet I do fundamentally believe it. We have elections every 2, 4, and 6 years which are designed to give us one route to oust the corrupt and abusive. I've yet to see conclusive proof that anyone has succcessully cheated or rigged the vote. Further, we have additional means to force someone out of office if there is the public decrees it necessary or if their fellows in office vote that way.

So, ultimately I do think we have a stable and secure government with pretty good safeguards built in to remove the corrupt and abusive. Now, whether we take advantage of that is an entirely different issue. :)

I'll admit that this was the one I had the most hesitance writing. Yet I do fundamentally believe it. We have elections every 2, 4, and 6 years which are designed to give us one route to oust the corrupt and abusive. I've yet to see conclusive proof that anyone has succcessully cheated or rigged the vote. Further, we have additional means to force someone out of office if there is the public decrees it necessary or if their fellows in office vote that way.

So, ultimately I do think we have a stable and secure government with pretty good safeguards built in to remove the corrupt and abusive. Now, whether we take advantage of that is an entirely different issue. :)

Agree to disagree.

I think it's one of those things where the 30,000 foot view looks good.  But start getting into the weeds of gerrymandering and outright lies told by politicians along with everything else, no I don't think we have a good system in place.  If the system was allowed to work the way it should work, it'd be great.  But the professionals that know how to manipulate the system are the ones that want to stay in power so it benefits them to manipulate the system. 

We have one of the worst forms of government on the planet, except for all the others.

• Like 2

I certainly can't argue that there are significant problems with gerrymandering and voter manipulation through ID laws. We need to do a better job in that arena. I wish we'd be better in that regard.

I do like the Dune reference. :)

• Like 1

Haha.....Sorry but I don't read much fantasy.  More of a Tom Clancy and John Grisham type guy.  Though I did love the book Enders Game when I was a kid.  Read it again a few years back and wasn't as good as I remembered.  And I don't know about the "dune" reference.  I meant it as a play on a famous quote, Churchill I believe.  What is the Dune thing?

Haha.....Sorry but I don't read much fantasy.  More of a Tom Clancy and John Grisham type guy.  Though I did love the book Enders Game when I was a kid.  Read it again a few years back and wasn't as good as I remembered.  And I don't know about the "dune" reference.  I meant it as a play on a famous quote, Churchill I believe.  What is the Dune thing?

In the beginning of the Dune series, some immortals are planning to create planets and societies. Basically, they discard Democracy pretty early on because they want to be treated like Gods and do what they want without others getting in their way. Then, there is an exploration of other forms of government which I believe ended with the idea of Democracy being the worst form except for all the others.

Remember it fuzzily though. I must have read Dune more than 20 years ago.

Man who tried to rob Waffle House with an AK-47 is shot by customer

A man with an AK-47 who robbed customers at a Waffle House in Texas is on life support after being shot by a customer with a licensed handgun.

According to the DeSoto Police Department, Antione Cooper, 26, entered the restaurant in the 1500 block of North Beckley Avenue at 2:30 a.m. Thursday. Patrons at the Waffle House told police Cooper robbed several customers before leaving the restaurant and entering the parking lot.

A handgun-licensed customer, whose wife was on her way to meet him at the restaurant, followed Cooper to the parking lot, fearing for his wife's safety, according to DeSoto police.

Police said the customer called to Cooper once they were outside. Cooper pointed the AK-47 in the customer's direction, prompting the customer to shoot Cooper several times, according to police in the southern Dallas suburb.

Click on the link for the full article

No problem with that whatsoever.  Don't want to get yourself shot,  don't go into a waffle house with an AK and rob people.   If my wife was expected to show up I'd be freaked as well.  

As I've said repeatedly.  Nothing is going to stop crazy.   At least 30 dead.  Horrifying.  The human race is becoming so desensitized to violence.  We have to make ourselves better than this.  

Truck attacker kills dozens in Nice 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/truck-plows-into-crowd-in-nice-france-many-dead-paper/ar-BBulpVJ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

I don't think its murder,  but I don't want to necessarily encourage vigilantism.  It worked out ok in this case assuming the facts are accurate.  But it could have been a disaster if the AK had been fired indiscriminately.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/you-cant-carry-a-tennis-ball-near-the-gop-convention-but-you-can-bring-a-gun/2016/07/14/8216a202-4932-11e6-90a8-fb84201e0645_story.html

You can’t carry a tennis ball near the GOP convention. But you can bring a gun.

PLANNING TO visit the 1.7-square-mile area in downtown Cleveland where many of the events and protests connected to the Republican National Convention will be held next week? Be sure not to take tennis balls, metal-tipped umbrellas or canned goods, which will be banned — but no need to leave behind your AR-15 or other guns. Those will be allowed under Ohio’s open-carry laws.

That a can of tuna fish is deemed more dangerous than military-style weaponry is indicative of the irrationality of U.S. gun policy. Don’t expect a fix anytime soon. The Republican-led House of Representatives is going on its summer vacation without making a genuine effort — let alone taking any action — to inject sense into the nation’s gun laws.

Cleveland officials are preparing for large numbers of protesters. Some — including the New Black Panther Party and a group of current and former members of the military called the Oath Keepers — have said they plan to carry weapons. No guns will be allowed inside the Quicken Loans Arena or within the perimeter controlled by the Secret Service, but Ohio’s open-carry laws will allow those who legally own guns to take them into the event zone.

The prospect of a politically charged environment in which there are people armed to the teeth has rightly given pause to some. “The last thing in the world we need is anybody walking around here with AR-15s strapped to their back,” Stephen Loomis, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association, told the New York Times. Last week in Dallas, while five police officers were being shot to death and seven others wounded, police were hampered by confusion over which people with guns were suspects to be apprehended and which were protesters who had brought their guns because misguided Texas law allowed them. “There’s been the presumption,” said Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown, “that a good guy with a gun is the best way to resolve some of these things. Well, we don’t know who the good guy is versus who the bad guy is if everybody starts shooting.”

In October in Colorado, a neighbor spotted someone carrying a weapon and called 911. Because the behavior was legal under state law, police did not respond immediately. The gunman shot three people. Forty states, according to Everytown for Gun Safety, allow people to openly carry shotguns and rifles (including assault rifles) in public without a permit or safety training, and 30 states allow people to openly carry handguns without a permit or safety training. The gun lobby agenda of “guns everywhere, no questions asked” is extreme and irresponsible, but it has been skillfully sold.

Oh how I love a good non-biased article where the responsible author states that facts of both sides and clearing isn't just driving an agenda.........

So you think the idea of two heavily armed groups of half witted people with violent tendencies who happen to harbor significant racial resentment toward the other group meeting up for a little pow wow in downtown Cleveland is nothing but positive sign for gun rights in this country?

So you think the idea of two heavily armed groups of half witted people with violent tendencies who happen to harbor significant racial resentment toward the other group meeting up for a little pow wow in downtown Cleveland is nothing but positive sign for gun rights in this country?

Yes.  Absolutely.  100%.  And that is clearly what I meant also. 

There is clearly no way that you could interpret my post instead as a sarcastic response to a clearly biased article written by someone with an agenda.  I also never use sarcasm.

That fact that a decent point is made in this instance doesn't change the fact that the author didn't even try to act like there wasn't an agenda in writing the article before the first letter was typed.  And people wonder why no one trusts the media.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

There is clearly no way that you could interpret my post instead as a sarcastic response to a clearly biased article written by someone with an agenda.  I also never use sarcasm.

Note. I did not edit this quote to put those two sentences next to each other.

And don't call him Shirley.

Note. I did not edit this quote to put those two sentences next to each other.

And don't call him Shirley.

Yea Larry.  It was meant to be somewhat funny.  Nice catch.  Like the other day I said "I never speak in absolutes".  See what I did there? 

And, surely, I would never refer to him by a girls name.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

That fact that a decent point is made in this instance doesn't change the fact that the author didn't even try to act like there wasn't an agenda in writing the article before the first letter was typed. And people wonder why no one trusts the media.

Expecting the media to engage in zero critical thinking and make no points whatsoever gives you CNN, a hollow worthless entity that serves no purpose other than a platform where the stupidest of points can be made free of any criticism or analysis.

Expecting the media to engage in zero critical thinking and make no points whatsoever gives you CNN, a hollow worthless entity that serves no purpose other than a platform where the stupidest of points can be made free of any criticism or analysis.

If you are going to use critical thinking then apply to it both sides. And I like having both sides displayed so I can make up my own mind. Sorry.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz