Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch The Tape

TK

This.

I was a big supporter until last season when it became known that he was taking the wrong number of steps on the drops.  To me that meant that he wasn't working hard on knowing the offense.  He thought he could athletically outplay people or "get better" like he always mentioned after bad games.

I've been wondering how much of the Lions preseason game was about making him be under center and prove he knew how many steps he needed to take with live bullets? 

There's nothing any quarterback can do with this kind of protection.

RGIIInooo.0.gif

Ugh. Remembering that Seattle game makes me so sad.

For me I knew on the third drive. Seattle scored on their previous one and we had the ball. 3rd down. Now remember our first two we did whatever we wanted.

Anyway, third down and the rush goes up and around Robert. He has an option to run maaaaaaybe for a 1st but there were lbs there that would crush him right around the sticks. He also has a player up top on the TV for a outlet pass. Now that player had two blockers in front of him and I'm thinking in my head "sweet Jesus this is setting up niiiice"

Robert goes to throw the pass (great decision) but it lands short and at the feet of the player (I think it was helu).

That pass right there he couldn't step and plant. Couldn't torque his leg at all.

Knew we were done.

Makes me sad. Thought we finally found our QB. It's a damn shame. Good Luck Roberto...

I did too. I remember checking myself several times thinking, "this feels too good to be true, BUT IT'S HAPPENING!!!!" I feel sorry for him because I think that success has thrown people for a loop.

It's why I still despise Mike Shanahan.  The reality is, it was so clear after that hit on the TD (or just before) pass that he wasn't the same player, not even the same one who played somewhat hobbled vs. Dallas but was still pretty decent, and definitely not the one who was killing Seattle....

I remember thinking the same thing. After the injury, I had a friend who was a Dallas fan (but we got along anyway), he comes up to me and starts telling me that he doesn't think Griffin is ever coming back form the ACL and he's never going to be the same player. Yeah, it ended the friendship. What kind of a garbage thing to say when you have no freaking clue. Anyway....

...The dudes a spread/spread option qb, not Andy Dalton...It's just very frustrating. I'm not sure at all why they are panicking so much on a 25 year old qb that has had two pretty serious injuries but is healthy right now, other than a mild concussion....

Andy Dalton ran a spread offense at TCU. That was one of the reasons Gruden was a good candidate for the job.

Also, injuries.

His long ball was never the same after the injury...flatter.

That would be the deflator's fault.

I'm talking about the decision to hire Gruden and keep Gruden. Dumbest decision I have seen him make....

You really haven't paid attention then.

Andy Dalton ran a spread offense at TCU. That was one of the reasons Gruden was a good candidate for the job.

Also, injuries.

Fine, if you want to get in to technicalities, change spread to spread option. Dalton did not run the same style of offense at TCU as Baylor or Kyle Shanihan did with RG3 in his rookie year. The biggest threat was RG3s ability to run off it, which Dalton does not have.

Fine, if you want to get in to technicalities, change spread to spread option. Dalton did not run the same style of offense at TCU as Baylor or Kyle Shanihan did with RG3 in his rookie year. The biggest threat was RG3s ability to run off it, which Dalton does not have.

You might or might not have noticed, but RGIII doesn't have the ability to run it anymore, either.

Also, tennis dad didn't like the offense either.

You might or might not have noticed, but RGIII doesn't have the ability to run it anymore, either.

Watch it.

You're inviting mi amigo, Dan T. (who's been insistently on the "they never did no such thing" wagon) to your party. :ph34r:

(boo Dan :P

He made some mistakes. But you can have a highlight package of any quarterback showing their bad reads. Heck, if you want to see bad pocket passing look at some of Kirk Cousins footage.

At the end of the day the stats show that RG3 can throw the ball in the NFL. 40 tds/23 ints. Heck he even has a higher career qb rating than Andrew Luck. He definitely struggles with the pro style pocket passing offense though. I'll give you that. If there's no threat of him running and he just sits in the pocket trying to read defenses from straight drop backs, he's not going to make it in the NFL. 

He can run fine if they ask him to run. Against Houston and Jacksonville last year he looked just like usual running around the field. After the dislocated ankle he started looking a little slow out there. But there is no doubt he wants to run more. These are definitely comments from a person who wants to run Jay Gruden's offense. The fact he calls it "ordinary" is pretty funny actually.

"They are not asking me to be Superman," Griffin told SI.com's Peter King after practice on Friday. "They are asking me to be basic and take the plays that are there. If that's what Jay wants me to do, that's what I am going to do. It doesn't mean you take everything out of your game.

"When those opportunities come up to make plays out of the pocket I will do it and not think twice about it. But if they are asking me to do the ordinary, that's what I am going to have to do."

So I won the OCD thread right?

Yes!

Like when your cohort completes the 28 day rehab and they give you that coin and tell everyone "you're all winners!"  :P

Except this is only day one and I only had that thread to use with no pharmaceutical detox.  :ph34r:

RedskinsFTW Next year, I see you just joined with this account and have really gone to work on the agenda there. Where you have been until now?  :)  

patiently sitting on the sidelines of this debate, I'm sure.

There is no way that guy is a dupe account, if that's what you're getting at.  I think he's just a hyper-passionate RGIII supporter with 16 posts on the topic, ever.

That's water under the bridge.  Kyle Shanahan had an offense that suited RG3 but after 3 injuries his rookie season RG3 wanted to do something different.  Everyone at the Skins (including RG3) thought he could pick up the skills to become an effective pocket passer.  Now Polian says that RG3 is completely unsuited to the WCO.  So, yes I agree with you that Gruden was not the best hire if you wanted RG3 as your long-term QB.  I think RG3 has changed his mind and would be willing to go to a spread option offense.  I wouldn't be comfortable building an entirely new offense around a player that unfortunately appears to be susceptible to injuries.  BTW - more than one coach has said that RG3's running ability is no longer extraordinary.  He's fast in a league with fast players and he never had the elusiveness of a Micheal Vick or the durability of McNabb. 

RedskinsFTW Next year, I see you just joined with this account and have really gone to work on the agenda there. Where you have been until now?  :)  

Just a lifelong fan that has reached the tipping point and needed to vent to people who can relate. Never been more upset as a fan and that includes two decades of Gus Frerottes and Jason Campbell's. I unfortunately am too young to have seen the golden years so the only thing I have seen throughout my life is a mess. The most exciting time I've had as a fan is with RG3 on the field. And it kills me we are sacrificing him at the age of 25 for this clown Gruden, who we never should have hired in the first place. 

"There's nothing any quarterback can do with this kind of protection."

Throwing the ball is the first thing that comes to my mind. 

Just a lifelong fan that has reached the tipping point and needed to vent to people who can relate. Never been more upset as a fan and that includes two decades of Gus Frerottes and Jason Campbell's. I unfortunately am too young to have seen the golden years so the only thing I have seen throughout my life is a mess. The most exciting time I've had as a fan is with RG3 on the field. And it kills me we are sacrificing him at the age of 25 for this clown Gruden, who we never should have hired in the first place. 

Sorry 'bout that pal, luckily I was ! :D

But the game, and media, has changed by leaps and bounds from those days; yea, I wish we could get a re-do of the 80's, but those damn ray-o-vac batteries in my time machine went poop.

Griffin had his chance, and did some good, but the very type of offense you seem to prefer him run is the very same offense/line that will have him seeing stars laying on his back. He has more of a basketball type frame than football, IMO, and his inabilities in sliding cost him dearly; if I saw a 300+ lb beast charging at me, i'm down before I see the whites of his eyes [ sorry there GHH ].

It was a shot, a chance, and it didn't pan out. Time to re-focus, re-group, re-load...

"There's nothing any quarterback can do with this kind of protection."

Throwing the ball is the first thing that comes to my mind. 

Sorry 'bout that pal, luckily I was ! :D

But the game, and media, has changed by leaps and bounds from those days; yea, I wish we could get a re-do of the 80's, but those damn ray-o-vac batteries in my time machine went poop.

Griffin had his chance, and did some good, but the very type of offense you seem to prefer him run is the very same offense/line that will have him seeing stars laying on his back. He has more of a basketball type frame than football, IMO, and his inabilities in sliding cost him dearly; if I saw a 300+ lb beast charging at me, i'm down before I see the whites of his eyes [ sorry there GHH ].

It was a shot, a chance, and it didn't pan out. Time to re-focus, re-group, re-load...

He's only 25. In the past 4 seasons of his playing career he has won the Heisman Trophy and Rookie of the Year. I don't understand this panic. Just put a coach in place that utilizes his talents at least. You guys act like he's been playing quarterback for 10 years. We gave Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbell more opportunities than RG3. 

"They are not asking me to be Superman," Griffin told SI.com's Peter King after practice on Friday. "They are asking me to be basic and take the plays that are there. If that's what Jay wants me to do, that's what I am going to do. It doesn't mean you take everything out of your game.

"When those opportunities come up to make plays out of the pocket I will do it and not think twice about it. But if they are asking me to do the ordinary, that's what I am going to have to do."

Except he can't do ordinary.

An ORDINARY QB would see the 3 open WRs instead of trying to take off & run & end up dropping the ball without any contact.

CDEB8917-B7B5-4EBD-BBF0-3FE372B3C64E_zps

He's only 25. In the past 4 seasons of his playing career he has won the Heisman Trophy and Rookie of the Year. I don't understand this panic. Just put a coach in place that utilizes his talents at least. You guys act like he's been playing quarterback for 10 years. We gave Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbell more opportunities than RG3.

Do you think injuries have no bearing on a guy? Especially that many in a short amount of time?

I don't understand why people are in such panic mode over RG3. He's only frikkin 25 years old.

and still can't understand why they are treating this RG3 situation like they are. Makes no sense. And I'm a disgusted Redskins fan at Gruden and the entire organization. Flag flies at half-staff this year until Gruden is gone.

Well, Gruden's only 48, and coaches can coach into their 70's if they stay healthy.  No reason to panic and treat the coach that way, it's not his fault RG3 failed.  

His injury happened way before Jay, and Shanahan already paid the price.  The ankle last year was with no contact.  Don't blame the coach because Kirk won the competition that they didn't want everyone to freak out over, so they "coach speaked" us into believing wasn't happening.

Except he can't do ordinary.

An ORDINARY QB would see the 3 open WRs instead of trying to take off & run & end up dropping the ball without any contact.

I mean every quarterback makes bad reads. If you look at the stats though, he has a higher completion % than Cousins, throws less interceptions. Heck, he even has a higher career passer rating than Andrew Luck. So he can throw the ball. Still don't understand how we can only give him 3 years, when two of those years were hampered by injuries. 

Well, Gruden's only 48, and coaches can coach into their 70's if they stay healthy.  No reason to panic and treat the coach that way, it's not his fault RG3 failed.  

His injury happened way before Jay, and Shanahan already paid the price.  The ankle last year was with no contact.  Don't blame the coach because Kirk won the competition that they didn't want everyone to freak out over, so they "coach speaked" us into believing wasn't happening.

I dislike Gruden for many things other than choosing Cousins over RG3. That was just the tipping point after he left RG3 in the Lions game after two series when it was clear the offensive line couldn't protect him. And I've seen Cousins play enough to know he's nothing to get excited over. At least RG3 has potential when healthy.

====================

In a column on Bleacher Report, NFL reporter Mike Freeman shared comments from an anonymous NFL head coach who suggested Gruden's decision to keep Griffin in the game was "personal."

"I have never, ever, on any level, seen a head coach treat his quarterback with such a lack of respect," the coach said.

The coach told Freeman:

What is baffling is that I can't think of a single head coach in the NFL who would take an injury-prone quarterback, put him behind a very shaky offensive line, in a preseason game, watch him take those kinds of hits and leave him in the game. It looks personal to me.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-coach-says-gruden-keeping-in-rgiii-was-personal-2015-8#ixzz3kcLvh300

==================

And I'm using that link not because it means it's a fact, but it's something I also couldn't believe while watching the game. The fact others also couldn't believe it, is not a surprise. Gruden has not liked RG3 from day one. The way he talks about it to the media and all the crap he does is just disgusting. 

Yeah, but that very reason (the HC's dislike) might be a valid reason to start the other guy even if it is the wrong call. The HC esp. one who's on the offensive side does need to believe in his players. If he doesn't believe in him, if he doesn't like him and it impacts what he does... then the team suffers. People have said (and disputed) whether Gruden calls or has to call a different game for Griffin. That's not a good thing if it's true. A playcaller shouldn't feel hamstrung.

Currently, the team believes in Cousins more. That means Kirk's best for the team. They might be wrong, but because of that Cousins is the man. Many in the locker room agree he should be.

I wish Griffin had worked out and I don't see the incompetent diva some point too, but I surely see someone who is struggling and seems to have lost his mojo/confidence. He's not making plays that he should make. He's not doing things that he did easily in that magic rookie year. The best possible world would have Griffin starting and being a rich man's Steve Young for ten years. Unfortunately, the best world sometimes collides with the real world.

Archived