Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch The Tape

TK

Robert has been benched three years in a row. Both Shanny's, Gruden, McVay, and Cavanaugh have all decided that they can't win with him as QB. 30 something NFL scouts, coaches, and executives were polled and said that Robert can't play. He can't play.

This is going to be tough to accept but if you think Robert is a good football player, you have to come to grips with the reality that either

1. You don't know what you're looking at

Or

2. You're bias has made you delusional

He's not a good match for Gruden's system. No doubt about that. 2013 is a worthless year, he had no training camp, no preseason, and was playing with a knee brace on that prevented any threat of him running. And he still put up semi-decent numbers that year. If it weren't for the defense they could have won 3-4 more games.

And let's be honest, it's not like Cousins/McCoy have made the team competitive. Maybe it isn't the QB, maybe it's the coach.

How am I biased for liking a 25 year old qb that just 3 seasons ago could not be stopped and won the ROY? What has Cousins shown to believe in him?

When RGIII ran a lot of read option and was healthy in 2012, yes, ROY, better than Luck.  You did say his career QB rating was higher, and it is true, but it's not a true indication of where they both are now in their careers.  Luck is way ahead of RGIII.  

So why even bother bringing up stats if you're gonna pull the "when he was healthy" card when discussing them as if it's Lucks fault that he doesn't suffer an injury and plays full 16 game seasons.  

I'm not so sure why you keep trying to assume/put words in my mouth.  I'm not acting like he's played 8-9 years in the league.  But he puts his body at risk and takes unnecessary hits and he got hurt last season and again in this preseason.   Got hurt his rookie season, never fully recovered his 2nd season.  

So, to play your game, you're making it sound like Campbell had some stellar career after he left Washington.  Also, while JC might have been here 5 years, he didn't play his rookie year and didn't even start until week 9 of his second year.  He held a clipboard and learned.  Which rarely happens anymore, times they have done changed.

You keep saying, hire a real coach.  It's ok if you don't like Jay, I'm not sold on him yet either.  But the big problem is RGIII is showing minimal if any progression as a pocket passer.  Bringing in another coach isn't going to change that here, imo.  We are still in rebuilding mode.  Coaches want "their guy" and RGIII isn't anyone they could bring in's "guy".

Again, as I stated before, I don't think he will be anymore than a back-up QB in the NFL from here on out.  I could be wrong.  Time will tell.

I'm not saying he's better than Luck. Simply saying he has a higher career qb rating then him. Meaning that in his short career as a 25 year old he is not "that bad" as you guys are making him out to be. Heck last year against the stingy Houston defense when he was healthy he hit 78% of his passes and over 260 yards. When he is healthy he is a franchise qb. I much rather invest in him and a coach that runs a spread offense, then invest in Gruden and Cousins. Seems like wasting a lot of years rather than taking a chance on someone who has proven he can change a game and make a mediocre team better. What has the Redskins done in the past 20 years to earn the respect of being able to move forward and rebuild? Much rather take my chances on RG3 than live another decade of rebuilding.

We've been in rebuilding mode for 23 years. When is it going to stop? And let's stop acting like the alternatives to RG3 are much better. That has not been proven. Heck I rather watch RG3 in a 6-10 season than Kirk Cousins in a 3-13 season. Look at Blake Bortles, he's considered a really good young qb and his team and stats are horrible. Are expectations for the team are far higher than they should be. RG3 still gives us the best chance to win with a system that utilizes his strengths. Chip Kelly will gladly pick him up and show what he can do if you don't have a retarded owner and organization. Worst decision I have seen Snyder make in my lifetime as a skins fan. Give the kid a chance. He's only 25, lol. You guys are in desperate panic mode on a 25 year old who has won the Heisman trophy and OROY in his past 4 seasons. It is mind boggling.

He's not a good match for Gruden's system. No doubt about that. 2013 is a worthless year, he had no training camp, no preseason, and was playing with a knee brace on that prevented any threat of him running. And he still put up semi-decent numbers that year. If it weren't for the defense they could have won 3-4 more games.

And let's be honest, it's not like Cousins/McCoy have made the team competitive. Maybe it isn't the QB, maybe it's the coach.

How am I biased for liking a 25 year old qb that just 3 seasons ago could not be stopped and won the ROY? What has Cousins shown to believe in him?

1.  No he's not, cause he stinks right now as a pocket passer

2.  Nobody, at least not myself, is saying that Colt or Kirk is the answer.......wait for it.......LONG TERM.  They aren't, however, Kirk has looked a lot better.....wait for it again.......RIGHT NOW.....than RGIII has.  What is your excuse for RGIII not performing and out playing Kirk this season thus far?  Not injured.  Went through the entire training camp.  Played in two preseason games, played horrible in both.  

3.  You can like/love RGIII all you want.  I love the guy, but I've come to terms that he is not going to be THE QB of the Redskins future.  Along with the fact that he is not playing good football, nor has he shown any progression in the pocket to deem him worthy of keeping him long term.  

It seems like you are assuming that the mass thinks Kirk is the answer long term, which isn't the case.  We have a QB problem once again in DC.  And I'm sure picking up the 5th year option on his contract which guarantees the salary if he gets injured to the point he cannot play in 2016 or if he is still on the roster the start of the 2016 league year comes into play.  Lets not forget he already got hurt in the preseason game.  

Everyone can see that Kirk looks sharper in this system than RGIII right now.  Toss in the preseason injury and 5th year option, he is not playing another snap in a live game for the Redskins most likely.  We will either go with Kirk another season or draft another QB in 2016 would be my guess.

1.  No he's not, cause he stinks right now as a pocket passer

2.  Nobody, at least not myself, is saying that Colt or Kirk is the answer.......wait for it.......LONG TERM.  They aren't, however, Kirk has looked a lot better.....wait for it again.......RIGHT NOW.....than RGIII has.  What is your excuse for RGIII not performing and out playing Kirk this season thus far?  Not injured.  Went through the entire training camp.  Played in two preseason games, played horrible in both.  

3.  You can like/love RGIII all you want.  I love the guy, but I've come to terms that he is not going to be THE QB of the Redskins future.  Along with the fact that he is not playing good football, nor has he shown any progression in the pocket to deem him worthy of keeping him long term.  

It seems like you are assuming that the mass thinks Kirk is the answer long term, which isn't the case.  We have a QB problem once again in DC.  And I'm sure picking up the 5th year option on his contract which guarantees the salary if he gets injured to the point he cannot play in 2016 or if he is still on the roster the start of the 2016 league year comes into play.  Lets not forget he already got hurt in the preseason game.  

Everyone can see that Kirk looks sharper in this system than RGIII right now.  Toss in the preseason injury and 5th year option, he is not playing another snap in a live game for the Redskins most likely.  We will either go with Kirk another season or draft another QB in 2016 would be my guess.

1) He only has to be a pocket passer because Gruden's system demands it. 

2) Kirk is 1-7 and has looked pitiful at best out on the field when he plays starting units. He looks great in preseason against backups, has every year I've seen him play. Kind of crazy to choose an unproven coach and a 1-7 qb over a ROY qb that proved he can dominate the NFL

3) I've come to terms that the Redskins are a horrible organization and giving up on RG3 as a 25 year old is one of the dumbest decisions they've made. Is he the right qb for Gruden's system? Absolutely not. Was he struggling in 2013 with a knee brace on and the inability to run? Yes. Could he succeed if you provide him a coach that plays to his strengths? Yes. I just will never agree or understand how Snyder is sacrificing a 25 year old OROY qb for an unproven coach and a system that does not fit our offense. 

Kirk looked horrible against the only starting offense he faced in the preseason. He will be pressured and throw multiple picks and incomplete passes against Miami and St. Louis. It will be embarrassing. He is an All-Pro in the preason after the 1st quarter though. 

Definitely nothing I would sacrifice RG3 over. Kind of crazy how panicky and dramatic people are over a 25 year old when there are options have proven to be even worse. Especially with the past two decades of our performance. 

I personally would give him two more years and build the team around him than scrap him for another rebuilding effort. We're going to be miserable for another two decades if this is how quick we pull the trigger on opportunities. We gave Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbell more opportunities of failure than RG3. 

And yes, all of this is because of Gruden and his system and his lack of care of the way RG3 has succeeded in the past. You have a spread offense that suits RG3's needs, he'd look great out there. Trying to make him in to Kirk Cousins would be like trying to make Kirk Cousins play a spread option. Just really dumb and makes no sense. Chip Kelly has proven that you don't need a track star QB to run a spread offense in the NFL. You also don't need to run the qb every play like in 2012.

I'm not saying he's better than Luck. Simply saying he has a higher career qb rating then him. Meaning that in his short career as a 25 year old he is not "that bad" as you guys are making him out to be. Heck last year against the stingy Houston defense when he was healthy he hit 78% of his passes and over 260 yards. When he is healthy he is a franchise qb. I much rather invest in him and a coach that runs a spread offense, then invest in Gruden and Cousins. Seems like wasting a lot of years rather than taking a chance on someone who has proven he can change a game and make a mediocre team better. What has the Redskins done in the past 20 years to earn the respect of being able to move forward and rebuild? Much rather take my chances on RG3 than live another decade of rebuilding.

We've been in rebuilding mode for 23 years. When is it going to stop? And let's stop acting like the alternatives to RG3 are much better. That has not been proven. Heck I rather watch RG3 in a 6-10 season than Kirk Cousins in a 3-13 season. Look at Blake Bortles, he's considered a really good young qb and his team and stats are horrible. Are expectations for the team are far higher than they should be. RG3 still gives us the best chance to win with a system that utilizes his strengths. Chip Kelly will gladly pick him up and show what he can do if you don't have a retarded owner and organization. Worst decision I have seen Snyder make in my lifetime as a skins fan. Give the kid a chance. He's only 25, lol. You guys are in desperate panic mode on a 25 year old who has won the Heisman trophy and OROY in his past 4 seasons. It is mind boggling.

I don't know if you just like to argue or just are just missing a lot of key points. Where has anyone said that we are investing our future in Kirk Cousins and Jay Gruden for that matter?

I'm done man, not going to sit here and bicker back and forth about our 3rd string QB anymore :)

I don't know if you just like to argue or just are just missing a lot of key points. Where has anyone said that we are investing our future in Kirk Cousins and Jay Gruden for that matter?

I'm done man, not going to sit here and bicker back and forth about our 3rd string QB anymore :)

Likewise. You are missing a lot of key points and we'll probably not come to an agreement. Only reason he is 3rd string is because our pathetic coach. That's my point. :)

1) He only has to be a pocket passer because Gruden's system demands it. 

2) Kirk is 1-7 and has looked pitiful at best out on the field when he plays starting units. He looks great in preseason against backups, has every year I've seen him play. Kind of crazy to choose an unproven coach and a 1-7 qb over a ROY qb that proved he can dominate the NFL

3) I've come to terms that the Redskins are a horrible organization and giving up on RG3 as a 25 year old is one of the dumbest decisions they've made. Is he the right qb for Gruden's system? Absolutely not. Was he struggling in 2013 with a knee brace on and the inability to run? Yes. Could he succeed if you provide him a coach that plays to his strengths? Yes. I just will never agree or understand how Snyder is sacrificing a 25 year old OROY qb for an unproven coach and a system that does not fit our offense. 

Kirk looked horrible against the only starting offense he faced in the preseason. He will be pressured and throw multiple picks and incomplete passes against Miami and St. Louis. It will be embarrassing. He is an All-Pro in the preason after the 1st quarter though. 

Definitely nothing I would sacrifice RG3 over. Kind of crazy how panicky and dramatic people are over a 25 year old when there are options have proven to be even worse. Especially with the past two decades of our performance. 

I personally would give him two more years and build the team around him than scrap him for another rebuilding effort. We're going to be miserable for another two decades if this is how quick we pull the trigger on opportunities. We gave Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbell more opportunities of failure than RG3. 

And yes, all of this is because of Gruden and his system and his lack of care of the way RG3 has succeeded in the past. You have a spread offense that suits RG3's needs, he'd look great out there. Trying to make him in to Kirk Cousins would be like trying to make Kirk Cousins play a spread option. Just really dumb and makes no sense. Chip Kelly has proven that you don't need a track star QB to run a spread offense in the NFL. You also don't need to run the qb every play like in 2012.

Last time I'm responding to your posts tonight.  RGIII told the coach along with his parents that he wanted to play under center and become a pocket passer.  That he did not want to run the RO anymore, which played to his strengths and set-up the running game and PA.  Which is why he was successful in 2012.  

If I have to tell you that I do not think Kirk is the answer long term either, but is looking better than RGIII is right now again, I'm gonna have a ****ing stroke.  Quit putting words in my mouth and assuming that is my message when I have clearly stated that multiple times.  It's starting to get annoying.

The only person that seems dramatic is you man.  You cannot come to terms that it is over for RGIII in DC.  It's your right to vent and be upset.  I guess some of us just let it go and move on with life.  Campbell had one more year than RGIII and he didn't play his rookie season and got his first start in week 9 of his second season (another thing I pointed out that you won't seem to acknowledge).

See my first paragraph in this post and maybe go back and read my previous posts........RGIII wants to be a pocket passer.

Again, and this time for sure.  Nothing personal against ya man, I'm just tired of arguing with you and going back and forth over the 3rd string QB.  Time to get my Madden on :)

"Kirk has looked pitiful at best"

~RedskinsFTW

Maybe it's the beer and ambien talking but I love you man.

Are you saying Kirk has looked good? Lol. He has one of the highest interception per pass ratios in the NFL and is 1-7 as a starter. Got to have some deep hatred for RG3 to make a claim that Cousins has looked good. Btw, cousins has been a preseason all pro for 4 years now. He buckles come big boy time.

I'm thinking he is talking about Trent Green.  Who had a good career, just got injured in St. Louis and Warner took control and never looked back.  Also, I think he did ok while in Kansas City, not 100% sure and not gonna look it up lol

Yea, Green was pretty good, think I got caught up in the moment. He was our 'great white buffalo...great white buffalo...great white buffalo...'.

Green was a management casualty, wasn't he?

Why do you guys talk about him like he's been in the league for 8-9 years? The dude is 25. Can't coddle him his entire career because he "might" get injured. Heck, Sam Bradford's had a worse string of injuries and Chip Kelly obviously has no fears using him in his spread offense. 

He looked fine last year when he was healthy against Houston. He looked fine in the Cleveland game this year. If Garcon catches that pass that's a first quarter 60+ yard td and he ends the game with almost a perfect qb rating. 

Not sure what this panic is with the guy like he's some washed up old dude who doesn't have any years left. He has plenty of time.

If I recall correctly, we lost the Houston game, something like 16-13; a game that was sluggish for Griffin. And the game after, and the game after, and the game after.

He is more of a liability than an asset right now in his career, and us fans are getting tired of seeing high profile players getting paid and not backing it up. The dude has a laundry list of issues, as every analyst has pointed out, and it appears too much to overcome in a week or 2.

He's been in the league long enough to be able to transform more into a pocket style QB, but his play, vision, and footwork say otherwise, as also pointed out.

Hey, its ok to be a fan of Griffin, but to put him before the team is not giving the term 'team' its proper recognition.

Oh, and if you want to have valid discussions, you should really consider not trying to cherry-pick stats; another poster last year was pro-stat but it clouded his mind so much that he actually believed it.

In the Houston game Gruden called almost every pass within 5 yards of the line. It looked like he had zero trust in his QB.

But forget last year, this is about this year. Gruden has mentioned that Kirk has taken the biggest step in the system between year one and two. Where as Griffin is basically the same guy and probably has shown little to no improvement. That's the main reason he named Kirk the starter. It's based on this year, not last.

Griffin may be only 25, still very young but Gruden simply can't play a guy that's getting beat out by the other two. It really says something if he names Colt the 2, which it looks like Gruden's going to do.

There's nothing any quarterback can do with this kind of protection.

<Robert getting sacked gif>

Oh, I don't know, maybe move to his right, seeing how he literally watched the defensive player coming at him for 2-3 seconds, and then run righ to where Scherff pushed him.  Yes, Scherff got beat.  He got beat BAD.  But he still was able to push him off to his left. A simple slide to the left and maybe he's able to get a pass off.  Meanwhile, later in the game Kirk was presented with that same situation.  He slid to his right, got out of the pocket and fired a 15 yard pass to (Ross?) I think, for a 1st down.

And I'm not a Griffin hater. My god I was finally thinking we have our guy after all of these years. I've defended him for 3 years. I'm saddened that it has come to this.  But I want to WIN.  I'm tired of losing. And my eyes tell me that Robert is holding the team back. I'm not saying we are SB contenders.  I think he's holding the team back from being respectable and moving forward in getting out of the NFCE basement.

No hate here. Just want the REDSKINS to win.

NFL stands for Not For Long... To judge a quarterback, most importantly is what he can do now and in near future. With Robert (I too love him in 2012), he just haven't shown that he can be pocket passer, have feel of the pocket and make decision quick enough when compared to the other 2 options (Kirk or Colt). The decision could be simple as that. Plus, what do you think if we get the same Robert as last year and team record is 12 loses and 4 wins. The coach would be gone, the players would be gone. Time is up for Robert to show that he can grow and improve. He needs to seat on a bench and gain his confidence back and develop as a QB. Probably best not as Redskins.

Archived