Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsline Power Rankings... your washington redskins 32nd of 32 teams

mcsluggo

I have two thoughts on this overall subject.  1st, why it's so easy for the media to pile on certain teams, and 2nd, why it actually might be accurate this particular year in terms of it being a "power ranking."

1st part -- We clearly are the easiest targets to make fun of in the NFL as of today.  There are a number of reasons why, but like how the raiders jags browns bengals and lions have all sort of alternated in that grouping over the last 20 years, we are essentially in that grouping as well and it's our turn.  Based on the last few years and storylines we are clearly the easiest target even if our on field performance hasn't been quite as horrendous as other "bad" teams.  So, disregarding football entirely, the media has no problem with shoving us #32 even if we "might" be 26-27 etc.  There are very little repercussions for doing so since everyone joins in.  So I get it and am fine with it if that's what Pete was doing here.  But...

2nd part -- I actually think given the current states of all the bottom rung teams in the NFL, we actually do deserve to be dead last. If we haven't figured it out yet, QB performance is the largest individual component to predicting how a team will fare, and of most of the bottom rung teams, this particular year, have far more optimistic outlooks for their QB position than we do for a week 1 power ranking.  

And, because we are really close with some of these teams the QB outlook is probably the tiebreaker for maybe 4-5 teams.  Optimism beats out a poorly performing 4th year QB.   So, Bucs - have winston and other top offensive pieces and some elite D players and beat us handily last year.  Jags - Bortles has a more optimistic outlook compared to RG3 going into his second season.  The Browns have a more complete defense and some optimism for manziel after a rehab stint  with McCown as security.  The jets have 2 younger Qbs and some high quality defensive players.  The raiders had Carr who actually looked pretty good.  Tennessee has a #2 overall pick QB with some definite holes on their roster so they are the closest competition for us.  So, yea I can see in a power ranking taking the optimistic team with a little bit of unknown over the currently known commodity our QB is.  Yes of course RG3 could play well this season and surprise but Mariota is clearly the larger unknown and still was a #2 pick for a reason.  

So, the only team I could maybe argue with is tennessee, but I have better things to do than argue 31 vs 32 so I will accept it and hope the team starts to perform better under SM's control.  And anyways, this is all week 1 so if mariota looked bad or Bortles etc etc etc we would easily slide up after a week. But optimism is going to win out week 1 in a ranking.

Well I'm not basing it on one player, I'm making the case that in this particular year out of the grouping of the bottom tier, most of the rosters are similar in that they have some elite talent here and there, some holes, and as usual question marks at the QB position.  The difference between our QB position and the rest is ours has the most "experience" and has shown bad tape enough times to err on the side of optimism for the other teams.  Bortles Winston Carr Mariota and Petty/Smith all have better outlooks going into next year than RG3 does. And then the browns are slightly different in that Manziel/McCown doesn't look all that optimistic either on the field, but Manziel at least made true strides to better himself so there is a chance a light could switch on on the field.  And they actually have the more complete defense than us so for them the "other 52" makes them beat us out and it's our QB situation that actually brings us closer. 

And, I can list off top quality players that all those other teams have which make their "52" more of a crapshoot compared to ours, which is why the QBs seem to be the tiebreaker.  The one without too much talent being the titans, but they have a #2 overall pick at QB who in todays day and age could flash and make a difference if the organization and Marcus do things right. 

Also, it's why I said that this is only a preseason week 1 outlook.  I'm sure the titans will have a worse W/L than us by week 13, but going into week 1, I'm sure there are enough people that would bet on the titans surprising us much in the same way we surprised the saints in 2012.

I'm strangely at peace with being bad this season, because as I've already said in other places, God's gift to quarterbacking will be draft eligible this year.  I might have already started a thread about him, but I know it's bad form to start posting those until we've started losing, and also, I can't figure out what to rhyme with Hackenberg.  "Suck for Luck" was so easy, it made us all soft.

Slacken for Hacken(berg) :unsure:

Titans and Jags are better organizations than us. Bucs are too but not by as much. Redskins, Browns, and Raiders are the most mismanaged and disfunctional franchises.

Raiders are on the up and up recently.  Perhaps some preposterous free agent spending last year, but they also had a ton of cap space and no big contracts of their own to resign.

I don't think we end up with the 1st overall pick, but it's probably another top 5 pick unless rg3 really catches on to Gruden's system.

Hackenberg is extremely overrated... People compare his measurables and think he's Andrew luck when in reality, he's basically Kirk Cousins. He'd have to significantly improve this year to even be considered the top QB prospect in the draft, much less the #1 overall.

I'm 100% of the same viewpoint.  Every time I've watched him I don't see a #1 overall pick qb.  He had a great freshman season, but since then, his sophomore and now his spring practice games, he's looked just plain bad.  I know people like to blame his surrounding talent, but his accuracy is off, which doesn't help his receivers, and he has a tendency to hold the ball, which doesn't help his o line at all.  I've been more impressed by Kessler.

The difference between our QB position and the rest is ours has the most "experience" and has shown bad tape enough times to err on the side of optimism for the other teams.

RG3's tape includes winning the NFCE, rookie of the year, a very high QBR, etc. 3 years ago, however. Just saying if you're evaluating QBs based on what's on tape you can't pretend 1/3 of it never happened.

Right.

But it's not that cut and dry that the Skins remaining 52 is better than the others

So it "is" cut and dry that the others 52 are better than ours?  I don't buy it.

I responded to a tweet that Hap or SWFL posted in the training camp thread that this woman who is a sports writer or something that predicted us to be 2-14. 

If any of our fans really think that we will win less games (4) than we did last year or somehow we are worse, they are either:

1. So beat down over the years that they have convinced themselves that it will never get better and they predict that we will be terrible or worse than we were, so that they don't get their hopes up again.  Then that if it does happen, they can say "told you so" or not get too upset.

2. They just didn't pay attention to our offseason, in which several "football guys from other teams" have actually said that the Redskins had one of their best offseasons in years. 

I know "on paper" doesn't prove anything. I know we have to prove it on the field. But damn, if you (not you inparticular- the fanbase) can't have a little faith that we'll get better, why bother?  Why not just give up on the team and put all your things in a box and find other things to do on Sundays?  And this is not me telling people how to be a fan, just wondering why people continue if it's so doom and gloom. 

My personal feeling is, with some of the moves that Scot has done in the offseason and draft, there is no reason that that alone shouldn't count for at least 2 more wins.  I'm between 6-9 wins myself.  Now, cue the fans who say we have a "Brutal" schedule and we couldn't possibly win 2 more games. Our schedule is not brutal, it's average.

I 100% disagree with putting us at 32.  32 is reserved for the 0-16 Lions. 32 is reserved for the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. There is nothing that has happened in the last 15 years nor what we have done in the offseason that should even hint at a 32nd ranking. While we've been bad, we havn't been the worst.  I would have not even bothered with this thread if we were ranked between 24-29. Mid to upper 20s, I would have zero problem with.

Why waste time arguing if we are going to suck or kinda suck?

Why waste time talking about them if you already think you know the outcome?  You could go hiking, canoeing or spend time with the family.

As bad as they've been, as mad, dissapointed and embarrassed at them as I've been over the years, I'm still a fan of theirs. I still have even the tiniest glint of hope every year that this will be the year. That's all you can do as a fan.

Until they lose week one and you pull your trademark "all my teams suck" spiel lol.

<3 you man :)

Well, they do all suck. :P   Doesn't mean that I don't hold out hope every year that this will be the year.  And believe me, I'm really trying to get out of that kind of mood. I'm tired of being so gloom and doom about my teams. I'll admit, I haven't been the best fan for any of my teams for about 10 years now. But I never change teams and I never stop rooting for them.

I just think based on what we've done in the offseason, I can't honestly say they will win less than 4 games nor could I rank them dead last. That's all. I just disagree with people saying we are the absolute worst team in the league. One of the worst?  Yes. Not THE worst. ;)

Well I left a long time ago after getting tired of watching wash, rinse, repeat Snyder.

Until he finally learned he needed a real front office and a longer time line to rebuild properly instead of his win now fluff offseasons, there was no point in following every move this team made.

Amazing it took him this long to conceed him way was terrible.  Finally they are investing in the lines properly.

Here hoping this time its for real.  Sit back and enjoy a proper rebuild.  I think Ted doing it right with the Wizards has helped show him the way.

I wonder if there are any old time poster still left here. 

Archived