Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilson Wants Extension Worth Most Guaranteed Money in NFL History

Simmsy

Wilson plays on a winning team and a solid organization. He's been a productive QB that's won a SB and made it to another. He's been in the playoffs every year. He's a really good player. Great? No. But really good. He fell into the right situation and has made the most of it.  

Not sure why so many Redskin fans have so much hate for the guy. Is it cause our guy isn't as good? All Wilson has done is throw 72 td's vs 26 ints in three years. I know he doesn't play in a pass first offense but that's pretty damn good no matter how you slice it. Then you add in his rushing yards, and his threat to run makes him one of the best QB's in the league.

He earned the contract, end of story.

I still don't see what's so great about the guy. He's a game manager with decent athleticism ability and play making ability.

I think 95% of the QBs in the NFL would be flattered if they were described that way lol...

His regular season passing stats.  If you're a front office exec for any team, do these form a firm enough foundation for such a contract?   

velocet

If you're a front office exec worth his salt, you're not basing your decision on signing your franchise QB off of reading his stat page.

Wilson is the lucky beneficiary of having a stacked team around him. Granted, he's a solid starter. He's also not asked to do much, since his D is phenomenal, and also has a pro-bowl running back beside him. Does anybody really think he'd be anywhere near as good if the team around him wasn't so good? He's definitely way overpaid now, and I think it'll bite Seattle in the ass eventually.

He's earned a raise, but $60M guaranteed? Please.

wilson has outplayed luck 3 out of the past 4 years using passer rating and espns qbr stat( yes im cluding their last year of college as well)

wilson is the best young qb in the game

andrew luck feast on the jags, texans, and titans... 3 garbage teams

meanwhile wilson sees the likes of robert quinn, patrick willis, and patrick peterson.... no comparison homeboy

its funny how media talking heads try to brainwash the public into thinking that luck is superior, ive seen these guys say things like if wilson got 60 million guareneteed, WHATS LUCK GONNA GET? 

smh sit down go on nfl.com and go to the player comparison page between russell wilson and andrew luck, see how many check marks are in wilsons favor

Never thrown for 3500 yards. Never thrown for 30 TDs. And that's with Marshawn Lynch giving you stacked boxes all day.

his recievers cant get open.. did  you watch the nfc championship game and the superbowl

wilson has outplayed luck 3 out of the past 4 years using passer rating and espns qbr stat( yes im cluding their last year of college as well)

wilson is the best young qb in the game

andrew luck feast on the jags, texans, and titans...

Wrong. So wrong.

Luck went to the worst team in the NFL. He has had to carry his team. He is asked to do things Wilson doesn't. Wilson has had the best defense, the best running game. Luck has had no running game and no O line. Put Luck on the Seahawks and he already has 3 SB rings. Put Wilson on the Colts and he's on the IR.

There is no reasonable comparison between the 2 of them because of their situations. No comparison between where the Colts and Seahawks were when they drafted them. Because Wilson was a 3rd rounder, he's benefitted from having a stacked team because the money wasn't tied into him. Now that changes. Will will not be able to carry them. The Hawks will start losing players now because of Wilson's contract.

When people talk about Luck, they forget that the Colts had to bomb to get him.  Was it intentional?  They'd never tell you either way. 

But people also forget the Colts' records before that one bombed season.  The Colts had 10 wins or more every season from 2002-2010.

They're both great QBs, but the change in the Seahawks fortune in the Wilson era cannot be ignored.

Seriously, if 2012 is an anomaly for the Redskins, 2011 is an anomaly for the Colts.  Only two losing seasons since 1999 is proof of a stable organization.

Wrong. So wrong.

Luck went to the worst team in the NFL. He has had to carry his team. He is asked to do things Wilson doesn't. Wilson has had the best defense, the best running game. Luck has had no running game and no O line. Put Luck on the Seahawks and he already has 3 SB rings. Put Wilson on the Colts and he's on the IR.

There is no reasonable comparison between the 2 of them because of their situations. No comparison between where the Colts and Seahawks were when they drafted them. Because Wilson was a 3rd rounder, he's benefitted from having a stacked team because the money wasn't tied into him. Now that changes. Will will not be able to carry them. The Hawks will start losing players now because of Wilson's contract.

excuses, excuses

The price of success in the NFL will cost you big time.  Seattle built a model that did not need an elite QB.  The offense was built around the running game, and having Wilson make short accurate throws. It was a great formula, a winning formula. Unfortunately, once the team hauls in a trophy not to mention almost getting a second one the very next year, suddenly everyone on the team wants to get paid like they are the best player at their position.

Wilson is good but his contract will force him to get a hell of a lot better in the next couple of seasons because the Seahawks won't be able to keep a lot of the core group that has made the rest of the team so stout.  When the building blocks start to crumble, there won't be any more shielding. 

Is Wilson on fleek?

I think that may be the new "Is Flacco elite?"

Uh no, he is not on fleek. A person themselves can not be on fleek. Their hair or nails or eyebrows can be on fleek. In this instance i will accept that his contract in on fleek.

That said, let the unwanted dismantling of the defense begin.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000505845/article/amid-budget-cuts-seahawks-part-ways-with-dt-tony-mcdaniel

Wilson plays on a winning team and a solid organization. He's been a productive QB that's won a SB and made it to another. He's been in the playoffs every year. He's a really good player. Great? No. But really good. He fell into the right situation and has made the most of it.  

Not sure why so many Redskin fans have so much hate for the guy. Is it cause our guy isn't as good? All Wilson has done is throw 72 td's vs 26 ints in three years. I know he doesn't play in a pass first offense but that's pretty damn good no matter how you slice it. Then you add in his rushing yards, and his threat to run makes him one of the best QB's in the league.

He earned the contract, end of story.

thumbs up  B)

The price of success in the NFL will cost you big time.  Seattle built a model that did not need an elite QB.  The offense was built around the running game, and having Wilson make short accurate throws. It was a great formula, a winning formula. Unfortunately, once the team hauls in a trophy not to mention almost getting a second one the very next year, suddenly everyone on the team wants to get paid like they are the best player at their position.

Wilson is good but his contract will force him to get a hell of a lot better in the next couple of seasons because the Seahawks won't be able to keep a lot of the core group that has made the rest of the team so stout.  When the building blocks start to crumble, there won't be any more shielding. 

No question the running game is the essence of the offense but, seems RW provides a bit more than "short accurate throws" . . .

like 849 yards rushing AND big play percentage and . .  .

Joe Robinson ‏@JoeDRobinson4  Jul 31

5. Russell Wilson All-Time ranks (Through 3 yrs):

Wins-42 -1st

Playoff Wins-6 -1st

Super Bowls-2 -1st

TD passes-84 -4th

QB Rating-98.5 -2nd

While it's hard to imagine a PC team being anything other than run first with a punishing D, 't will be interesting to see how they work in Graham to change things up a bit. Also anxious to see if Mathews can pick up where he left off in the SB . . . 

For people that think he's a game manager, go back and watch last years game against our defense.

That means little.

Any QB could look like a superstar against that defense the Redskins fielded last season. :)

I think there is more to Wilson than just being a game manager, but I wouldn't put him up there with the elites like Manning, Brady, or Rodgers.

I was at that game on MNF. He ran for 122 yards. He did most of his damage on the ground. They ran for 225 as a team. They ran 36 times and he threw 24 times. And we were still in the game up until the 4th with a chance to win. It was a 7 point game with 21 seconds left when they iced it with a FG.

For people that think he's a game manager, go back and watch last years game against our defense.

As if our defense is some sort of benchmark for grading QBs? We ran our DC out of town and replaced him with the 0-16 d coordinator because THAT was a better option.

I think Wilsons contract is fair compared to QBs of his ilk, but that is a lot of guaranteed money.... I would be interested what this means for RGIII because of his struggles he should not be considered for a contract of that sort at least until the end of 2016 season - (and personally I hope that becomes a valid discussion)

But with the big money deals for Flacco, Rommo and Wilson and Kaepernick Matt Ryan and the pending deals for Eli and LUCK if Griffin becomes an above average QB with game breaking ability then this kind of deal may become a reality

What is interesting is the trickle down this might have because there is a lot of stars on that team that want to be paid and I think it will be seen in the next couple of years if Wilson can step up his game to account for the natural attrition all superbowl teams go through and the overall talent declines.  

I think Wilsons contract is fair compared to QBs of his ilk, but that is a lot of guaranteed money.... I would be interested what this means for RGIII because of his struggles he should not be considered for a contract of that sort at least until the end of 2016 season - (and personally I hope that becomes a valid discussion)

But with the big money deals for Flacco, Rommo and Wilson and Kaepernick Matt Ryan and the pending deals for Eli and LUCK if Griffin becomes an above average QB with game breaking ability then this kind of deal may become a reality

What is interesting is the trickle down this might have because there is a lot of stars on that team that want to be paid and I think it will be seen in the next couple of years if Wilson can step up his game to account for the natural attrition all superbowl teams go through and the overall talent declines.  

Problem is if RG3 has a big year, does he get a big contract?  I would say no because he hasn't shown sustained superior performance. 

Archived