Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

Beer bottle? It'll burn through concrete.

Or so the Chemistry geeks back in high school told me.

Although I have this feeling that buying those things, online, now days will likely get you noticed, by some people who do not have a sense of humor that they're aware of.

Edited by Larry

well i know how to do that. how do i move the mailbox into my gmail account? I want to close my comcast account i have no idea how to move the old emails to my gmail account so i can access it anywhere?

Would creating an archive work for you? You could then migrate the archive into your Gmail account once it's created. I've done a lot of this with Microsoft Outlook.

Edited by Gamebreaker

You may need to get it from Apple mail, it depends on how Comcast is set up.

Can you log into your Comcast mail from their site, are you able to see and access all of your mail?  If Comcast is set up to keep mail on the server you can just download Mozilla Thunderbird.  Set it up per Comcast pop email settings.  Once all mail is in Thunderbird follow the steps here.

If mail gets sent to Apple mail, and then gets deleted off of the Comcast server after x amount of days/months, you will have to pull the mail from Apple mail.  

Edited by frostyj

You may need to get it from Apple mail, it depends on how Comcast is set up.

Can you log into your Comcast mail from their site, are you able to see and access all of your mail?  If Comcast is set up to keep mail on the server you can just download Mozilla Thunderbird.  Set it up per Comcast pop email settings.  Once all mail is in Thunderbird follow the steps here.

If mail gets sent to Apple mail, and then gets deleted off of the Comcast server after x amount of days/months, you will have to pull the mail from Apple mail.  

Most of my emails are in my client and no longer on the comcast sever.  

Most of my emails are in my client and no longer on the comcast sever.  

Why would you want to put them in gmail.  You can switch to gmail and still have your emails in your Apple client.  It's no different than you have now with comcast (you didn't want to leave them on the server).  If you want to switch computers, you can export from Apple mail and import to your new server.  I don't know of any way to take emails (deleted from your mail server and stored on an email client on a localized computer) and push them out to a pop server.

Emails via cell phone question.

So, I have two main email accounts that I have set up to be checked on my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S5).  Periodically, I will see that it shows me having say 15 new emails, I go to check them and its a bunch of old emails I have already checked, but not deleted, because I need them for reference.

I will go back in there, select all of them, mark as read.  Later in the day, or multiple times per day or later on in the week (completely random and varies when it happens) it will happen again.  The quantity of old emails this happens to varries as well.  Sometimes it is only 1 or 2, sometimes its 15 or 18, etc.  

The only thing I can think of is that they have not been deleted from the main mail server yet, but not sure why the phone would think that an email already received, opened on the phone, would be a new email?  Wife has told me that it happens to her periodically on her iPhone 6, though it's a lot less than what I experience.

Starting out, the first time it happened, it put something like 300 emails as new that were actually old.  And that was on my old iPhone 4.  With the Galaxy, started out just a few here and there, now it's seems to be doing it all the time.  Usually for one email address, it's always the same emails or some combination of the same.

• 2 weeks later...

9 open tickets, most of which are in a 'waiting for someone else' state

only 15 items in my inbox

it's been a while since things were this light. god it feels good...

if i'm lucky it'll last through the week and i can finally reorganize and clean up my office on friday (year right...)

What made you decide to switch?

I've only met a handful of people who switched to Apple from Android (presumably). I've met a few who started Apple, went Android and then back to Apple as well.

There were a few things:

#1 - We recently bought a Macbook Air and my wife has an iPhone and iPad. So it just made sense to keep everything uniform as it made it easier to share stuff

#2 - Basically all but 3 or 4 people I talk to on a regular basis use an iPhone. Android and iMessage don't play well together, so I wouldn't always get texts/pictures from people with iPhones which was pretty annoying.

#3 - It's nice to get updates when they come out. My 2013 Moto X still didn't have Lollipop, which has been out for almost a year. Plus with the Stage fright bug around and no fix for my phone, it was frustrating. Another thing on the updates as well, since Verizon has done away with contracts and you have to pay the full price of the phone, I want a phone that will last and still be supported for more than a year or so. Considering the iPhone 4s, which came out in 2011, will be getting the iOS 9 update, Apple seems to just make more sense.

• Like 1

I wish Microsoft and Google would put more into making their own hardware, the way Apple does.

The Surface line receives awesome reviews.

The Nexus line the same.

Apple's biggest plus, as a device manufacturer, is that they have control over both the software and hardware. It allows for a level of quality you can't get with the other way.

The 3rd party hardware manufactures are to blame for the majority of issues with android phones and windows devices. Google and MS need to dedicate themselves more to making their own hardware...

• Like 1

I wish Microsoft and Google would put more into making their own hardware, the way Apple does.

The Surface line receives awesome reviews.

The Nexus line the same.

Apple's biggest plus, as a device manufacturer, is that they have control over both the software and hardware. It allows for a level of quality you can't get with the other way.

The 3rd party hardware manufactures are to blame for the majority of issues with android phones and windows devices. Google and MS need to dedicate themselves more to making their own hardware...

Agreed.

I own a Nexus 7 tablet and it's great. The Nexus line is by far the best for Android.

I think the biggest issue Android has is the carriers. Google seems quick on getting updates ready, but then the carriers do all kinds of other testing and make sure they get their bloatware in there. As opposed to Apple, that when an update is ready to be pushed it, it gets pushed out to everyone at the same time regardless of carrier.

I'd say that a really big factor, for an external drive, for backup purposes, will be USB3. That will almost always be the bottleneck, when you're transferring large amounts of data. (And, even if your existing system doesn't have USB3, your next one will).

Granted, I'm not sure how many external drives don't have USB3. Might be that all of them do, now days.

You might want to look at a drive that uses Ethernet. That might be even faster. But I assume more expensive.

Ethernet is the way I would go.   Set the IP statically and then all nodes in the home can map a drive to the NAS for file storage.

Yup.

But look at it from the carriers perspective.... they have how many android devices they have to test for? Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, and however many more are out there... and each manufacturer has how many lines?

And the lines are hot one minute, then dropped the next. If you're buying a new phone, from a new line android line, you're rolling the dice on whether it'll even be supported by the manufacturer 6 months out, much less the carrier. If sales suck, the manufacture just stops working on that line and basically drops it...

Google has no problem pushing out updates for their nexus line. The Moto X line was supposed to be the same way...

The whole situation sucks right now.

When i go back to android it'll be a pure android device only. Even if the latest one is over a year old. Getting one of these other devices where the manufacturer has skinned over Android, and replace many basic apps with customized ones (like email, calendar, messaging, etc) is just not worth it. The apps have a much higher chance of being buggy and it makes getting updates take longer, in some cases you just never get them.

Yup.

But look at it from the carriers perspective.... they have how many android devices they have to test for? Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, and however many more are out there... and each manufacturer has how many lines?

And the lines are hot one minute, then dropped the next. If you're buying a new phone, from a new line android line, you're rolling the dice on whether it'll even be supported by the manufacturer 6 months out, much less the carrier. If sales suck, the manufacture just stops working on that line and basically drops it...

Google has no problem pushing out updates for their nexus line. The Moto X line was supposed to be the same way...

The whole situation sucks right now.

When i go back to android it'll be a pure android device only. Even if the latest one is over a year old. Getting one of these other devices where the manufacturer has skinned over Android, and replace many basic apps with customized ones (like email, calendar, messaging, etc) is just not worth it. The apps have a much higher chance of being buggy and it makes getting updates take longer, in some cases you just never get them.

The Moto X is a good phone, but disappointing at the same time. It was the first phone that came from Motorola after they were bought by Google. It was as close to pure android as you could get without a Nexus. Then, they were sold to Lenovo and the updates have been lacking since. Like I said, my phone was 2 years old and basically was done getting updates. It could get Lollilpop eventually, but there's very little chance it gets Marshmallow. That's the equivalent of the 5s not getting iOS 9.

Now that most carries have gotten away from subsidizing phones, if I'm going to spend $500+ on a phone, I want one that I know will be supported for more than a year or so. Apple seems to do a good job of keeping their phones up to date. I don't want to spend $650 on a phone and then turn around and have to get a new one in year or 2 because they stopped supporting it.

I've only met a handful of people who switched to Apple from Android (presumably). I've met a few who started Apple, went Android and then back to Apple as well.

I wanted an iPhone, but it was exclusive to AT&T, **** AT&T. Got a Droid 2, loved it. Time to upgrade, iPhone 4 was available through Verizon.

Got it, loved it. Time to upgrade again. iPhone 6 and 6 plus were out, wife got the 6, loves it. Parents got the 6plus, love it.

I switched back to android (Galaxy S5), love it. But my reasons were basically the deal I got on the S5 and for what I use my phone for. And the size of the phone is perfect for me, bigger than the 6 and a tad smaller than the 6 plus.

But I love the iPhone 6/6plus too. I've never been one to sell out to just one platform, both are great imo.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

I wanted an iPhone, but we it was exclusive to AT&T, **** AT&T. Git a Droid 2, lo ed it. Time to upgrade, iPhone 4 was available through Verizon.

Got it, loved it. Tom's to upgrade again. iPhone 6 and 6 plus were out, wife got the 6, loves it. Parents got the 6plus, love it.

I switched back to android (Galaxy S5), love it. But my reasons were basically the deal I got on the S5 and for what I use my phone for. And the size of the phone is perfect for me, bigger than the 6 and a tad smaller than the 6 plus.

But I love the iPhone 6/6plus too. I've never been one to sell out to just one platform, both are great imo.

Agree. I think Android and iOS are about as even right now as they ever have been. It's really personal preference at this point. If you have a bunch of other Apple products, it makes sense to just stick with the iPhone. If not, Android is just as good.

It was the iPhone that got me into the rest of Apple's products.

I got the old iPhone 3, then the 4s and now the 6. I got an iPad somewhere along the way. It's a neat gadget but I don't use it as much (since I got a MacBook Pro) as I did when I first got it. Then, in January it was time for a new laptop. Windows 8 is an absolute garbage OS, that drove me to the MacBook Pro. Microsoft drove me away from their products completely because they just butchered a sweet operating system. I understand that Windows 10 is pretty nice but it's too late, I'm out.

I don't have any Microsoft products for my home at all. I never thought I'd see that day.