Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

This is going to be the year for the Caps.  Oshie will make a big difference and Kuznetsov is going to be an excellent player.  It's time to be optimistic. 

As a devoted Caps fan for 30 years, I've learned the hard way to temper my optimism.

But I agree that on paper, this seems like the most solid Caps team in a long time, even better than the 2010 club that won the President's Trophy and scored 6 goals per game.

Metropolitan

Capitals

Islanders

Penguins

Blue Jackets

Rangers

Flyers

Devils

Hurricanes

Front 5 is very loaded and being the best isn't assured. Some of those teams might miss the playoffs. We have to step it up because the rest of our division got better too. Nothing is guaranteed even with our excellent offseason. Worst thing that could happen is that Backstrom struggles to play (is recovering from surgery, rushed back too soon?) and we go through a Nats phase where we underachieve despite having massive talent. We did go through a little of that last year.

Any reason why you expect NYR to fall off a cliff? And for the Islanders to jump ?

Also, CBJ is going to be filthy this year

Haven't heard a thing since. Not surprised with our current salary situation; maybe a potential signing would be dependent on a trade to free up cap space.

The last article I read stated Ilya was making about $2.2 million.  They thought it might take $3 million.  In this case, I'm sort of regretting us re-signing Mojo.  If we could somehow dump Brooks salary, that would do it.

As a devoted Caps fan for 30 years, I've learned the hard way to temper my optimism.

But I agree that on paper, this seems like the most solid Caps team in a long time, even better than the 2010 club that won the President's Trophy and scored 6 goals per game.

Just like with the Redskins (and really all of my teams), I've given up on getting my hopes up for anything.

First time playing up one level. Ready for the fall season.

Edit: How do you guys add bigger pictures on here?

You have to get signed by a bigger club. :P

If you have the pic on facebook, click on the photo, right click and select "view photo" and then cut and paste the url into the photo option at the top of your message menu.

We are winning the Stanley Cup. Get ready to quote this in 9 months.

This is my honest feeling...

Since Brave started the thread we're going to meddle a little early on.  Might have something to do with Nicky's health, but more so because Brave started the thread.

Then we'll gel and fold dudes up.

We will win the Cup.

Ovi will go back to Russia after this year and I will not hate him for it.  Not one bit.

Also, CBJ is going to be filthy this year

Those injuries killed them last year, but I agree, they're going to be next-level pains in the asses.

This may have already been posted.

Legitimate ESPN hockey folks are picking the Caps to get to the finals (Burnside).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/39381/five-stanley-cup-finals-matchups-we-want-to-see?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Anaheim Ducks versus Washington Capitals

Spoiler alert: This is my 2016 Stanley Cup prediction heading into camp. We had the Caps emerging from the Eastern Conference when the playoffs started last spring. The Caps lost a heartbreaker in overtime in Game 7 against the New York Rangers in the second round, but Washington general manager Brian MacLellan added T.J. Oshie up front to go with three-time Cup winner Justin Williams to bolster the Caps’ chances this season. Evgeny Kuznetsov is a special young player and Braden Holtby is the real deal in goal. Throw in motivated leaders Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom for whom the window is slowly closing in Washington, and we like the Caps’ chances of emerging from the wide-open (again) Eastern Conference. 

Stanley Cup Finals or Bust anyone?

davey-johnson-red-sidebar.jpg

This may have already been posted.

Legitimate ESPN hockey folks are picking the Caps to get to the finals (Burnside).

Same guys picked the Caps in the 2010 -11 season (the year after winning the Presidents trophy) to win it all.  These legitimate hockey folks have also been bullish on the Sharks, Canucks, Flyers, and Blues in recent seasons.

I agree that we look like a solid team on paper, but cautious optimism is key for any sane Caps fan.

The problem is they're being picked so often but never do anything in the playoffs. Again Neil Greenberg on Crashing the NEt (Caps podcast) went into a rant and he said a bunch of stuff about how this team wasn't even the best in the Metro and they still had holes and no one knows how Backstrom's going to be because if Kuznetzov ends up having to play first line because of the injury to Backstrom then the Caps could conceivably miss the playoffs

Nothing is certain especially in the Metro where there are at least 5 teams that are beating each other up 

I'll say again Tampa is better than us and younger and you better watch out man 

The problem is they're being picked so often but never do anything in the playoffs. Again Neil Greenberg on Crashing the NEt (Caps podcast) went into a rant and he said a bunch of stuff about how this team wasn't even the best in the Metro and they still had holes and no one knows how Backstrom's going to be because if Kuznetzov ends up having to play first line because of the injury to Backstrom then the Caps could conceivably miss the playoffs

Nothing is certain especially in the Metro where there are at least 5 teams that are beating each other up 

I'll say again Tampa is better than us and younger and you better watch out man 

Well of course if Backy is hurt we're probably boned. Any contending team if they lose an elite player is screwed. I mean the Blackhawks without Kane or Toews would be done too.

Come on. The Hawks were in a good spot when Kane went down. If they had to play a season without him, it wouldn't be the same story.

The Blackhawks are one of the most well run teams in the league. I honestly hunk that Toews is the driving force behind that team. I don't know if it would be difficult for them to make the playoffs without Kane (because it's very easy) but they would have had a hard time making it to the SC (incredibly difficult).

Backstroke isn't going to be missing for the whole season is he? What's his injury?

Recovering from Hip surgery. Said he might not be ready for opener. Last thing we want to do is rush him.

I thought it was something like that.

Let him take all the time he needs. Regular season is largely irrelevant anyway, long as you make the playoffs. Seeding/home ice doesn't mean anything.

I agree. Don't rush him, I'd rather have Backstrom at 100% 75 games in than 75% all season long and declining when going into the playoffs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2015/09/03/nicklas-backstrom-not-in-a-rush-to-return-from-hip-surgery/

Center Nicklas Backstrom was just another early returnee to the practice rink Thursday morning, one more member of the Washington Capitals tuning up during informal workouts with the preseason two weeks away. There was no contact during the drills and four-on-four scrimmage, nor will there be until the on-ice portion of training camp begins Sept. 17 — just Backstrom wearing a blue jersey, flying around beside his teammates without noticeable complications from the summer surgery threatening his status for opening night.

Archived