Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Skating so hard :rant: 

Went ice skating yesterday for the first time and the skates were too big so I kept wobbling and falling down 

I don't know how hockey players can move on ice so well without falling down like that 

Went ice skating yesterday for the first time and the skates were too big so I kept wobbling and falling down 

I don't know how hockey players can move on ice so well without falling down like that

BENDER!

Having the right pair of skates makes a huge difference. I wore rentals one time and I could barely move.

Also saw a world of difference when I went from skates a size and a half too big (which I'd worn for years) to getting the right size skates. First time I used those new skates, I was having them sharpened at Kettler and I lost my warm-up period waiting for them to be finished so I didn't even get the chance to try them out before being thrust out on the ice. On top of that, for some reason our coach decided to put me in the opening lineup, so I basically hopped right on the ice and lined up for the faceoff as soon as I got my new skates. Wouldn't you know it, I got a breakaway right off the opening draw.

He's only had 1 full elite season and that was last year. He shared duties the year before.

2012: 23-12-1, 2.59, .920

2013: 23-15-4, 2.85, .915

2014: 41-20-10, 2.44, .923

Give me another full season of 40 wins, sub 2.50 GAA and more .920 SA%...AND...get us to at least the ECF and then I'll concede he'd be worth more than what they are offering.

Holtby has put up excellent playoff numbers in his career. It's not about him getting the Caps to the ECF, it's about the Caps best offensive players scoring a couple more goals. Holts has held up his end.

They probably looked the same their first time on skates.  Just keep at it.  You'll get better as you get more comfortable.

But DEFINITELY get the right pair of skates like Packer said.

And if it's between being a bit too big and a bit too small, go a bit too small.

Holtby has put up excellent playoff numbers in his career. It's not about him getting the Caps to the ECF, it's about the Caps best offensive players scoring a couple more goals. Holts has held up his end.

Definitely agree with this.

But I'd also agree that he needs to show that he can consistently play at an elite level before he starts asking for 8 mil.  So a few year show me deal shouldn't be out of the question here that works out for both sides.  The money will be there for Braden if he stays playing at this level.

Skates need to fit snugly and need to be laced very tightly. Also, bend the knees and keep the skates about shoulder length apart.

Your big toe should just graze the end cap of the skate and the sides of your feet should be securely in the skate without being too tight.

I honestly think OV could hit 60 this year if Green's departure doesn't kill the PP.

If there was one thing that Mike Green was better than John Carlson at, it was getting the puck to Ovechkin's wheelhouse.  There were too many times when I'd see #74 make an errant pass to Ovechkin on the PP.

So we could have had Semin for $1.1M and let MoJo walk away?

And don't anyone tell me Semin couldn't play for Trotz when he is going to play for Therien....

Why would we have to let Jojo walk? Just move him back to Center and we've got three scoring lines. Anyways, I'm guessing the bridge between Semin and Washington was burned. We ran him out of town.

If there was one thing that Mike Green was better than John Carlson at, it was getting the puck to Ovechkin's wheelhouse. There were too many times when I'd see #74 make an errant pass to Ovechkin on the PP.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else on the point if Carlson can't get it done early in the season.

So we could have had Semin for $1.1M and let MoJo walk away?

And don't anyone tell me Semin couldn't play for Trotz when he is going to play for Therien....

Trotz hasn't done well w/ Russians who don't buy in or give great efforts.  Radulov and the Kostitsyn brothers come to mind. 

While it would have been nice to see what would have happened if we had Semin again, it's really no big deal. 

I get that.  I get that he's been good in the playoffs the last couple of years, but he's being paid for full season, not just 2 months. No matter how you slice it (hockey pun), players in any sport are paid for their total performance, not just the playoffs. We've had so many problems staying under the salary cap because of bad contracts, we've been unable to get the right guys to team with Ovie.  So, I'm just not inclined to pay a goalie who has had only one great season to compromise the rest of the team.  Do it again and get us further in the playoffs, then we'll talk about that 8 million.  So for now, $5-6 should be enough.

Without the consistency, he may not be worthy of a long-term $8 mil/season deal, but that doesn't mean that a short-term contract will be brought down drastically in price since the risk due to questionable consistency is mitigated by the lack of term.

Edit: Holtby signs for 5 years, $30.5 mil. Great deal.

Great deal for BOTH sides!

Let's hope we can bring back MoJo AND Fehr with that.

Agreed, that would give us a complete team, I think. Only question mark is the bottom-pairing D with Orlov having not played in the NHL in awhile, but he should be healthy (was supposed to be healthy for the playoffs, but they didn't want to throw him into the fire and see where his rust level was).

We could be pretty dangerous with scoring lines going 3-deep. With a Jojo/Burracuda-BullyDozer-Whip line, that gives Wilson the opportunity to play on a top-6 style line without the pressure of performing at a top-6 level, too, which could be good for his development.

Archived