Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

For as long as Ive been a member of this board, Ive railed on Michael Bradley being a subpar central midfielder. This has been going on for 15 years now. The man is lost. 8 years ago his best asset was toe poking a through ball occasionally and hustling. Now he routinely gets beat. For 15 years ive never seen him subbed out unless by way of 2 yellows. He wont shoot the ball. ( watch him stand at the top of the box against curacao and write a letter home to daddy asking for his permission to kick the ball over the goal). Last night he was gassed by halftime and the goal came right after he let his man run right by him. He marks no one on the pitch!

Dude plays the 2nd most important position on the field, and has no ability to do his primary job of controlling the ball. If they dont replace him soon, all this talk about Pulisic will mean nothing. Think about all the other central midfield players w'eve cycled out of who have all played better than him: Edu, Jones, Beckerman, Clark, Adu, Feilhaber, etc. Its infuriating. He's not a leader. Doesnt control the ball. Doesnt shoot. Cant pass unless its a toe poke backwards. Cant defend without putting himself out of position. And has clearly lost a step. Its OVA!

Altidore looked great in the first half sans a bad shot. But he made atleast 4 GREAT chances that we couldnt put away. He shouldnt play the full 90 anymore, but Zardes most definitely should not be the guy coming in for him.

No lies detected

I take issue with whomever said that Croatia was a cinderella. Their team had multiple players who were starting at the major club league in Europe plus two of the top midfielders in the world. Rakitic (Barcelona), Modric (Real Madrid), Mandzukic (Juventus), Perisic (Milan).

We in the US are happy to have one class player like that.... and a team like Croatia has multiple Forwards, Midfielders, and Defenders who play in top 5 European leagues.

In the next decade the best I hope for the USMNT is FIFA qualifying and then hopefully knockout stage.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

If anything, they've regressed. Arena is a fat pile of ****, but at least he had a past record of winning something and using young talent. Berhalter...had a brother? 😭

That's probably why I'm frustrated, we aren't even moving in the right direction. The Federation has wasted two years for what? Window dressing. It's obvious they aren't serious about changing the system that has only given us average results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I'm so frustrated right now, I just realized that we've been having this same conversation about the USMNT forever. Ever since we made the knock-outs it's been the exact same thing. They keep moving the chairs around but they aren't changing anything of substance.

I disagree. They have changed literally every player and coach multiple times, except for Bradley. Who btw, has never been benched except for cards.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I disagree. They have changed literally every player and coach multiple times, except for Bradley. Who btw, has never been benched except for cards.

Those are deck chairs.

The Federation has thus far resisted any form of restructuring of the development system and pipeline. If we want to see the USMNT truly compete on the global stage then the change has to be more than players and coaches. Check out what Germany did when they failed to qualify for the WC...wholesale top to bottom reorganization...result a World Cup championship and some of the best player production on the planet.

If you need a refresher, just go back and watch the ENTIRE Taylor Twellman meltdown from two years ago, not the soundbyte version, but the whole 5+ minute tirade.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 2:24 AM, DCSaints_fan said:

Hey look who get named to the Gold Cup "Best 11", ES's favorite US soccer player

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2019/7/10/20689361/concacaf-gold-cup-best-xi-usmnt-michael-

bradley-christian-pulisic-aaron-long

😄😄

What is this a joke?! Are you joking? This is a joke right?! What are you from a radio station?!

All this bashing on Bradley is funny, because I was talking with a D1 coach this weekend about the USMNT, and started in on Bradley per my norm. He cut me off, and said, "Bradley isn't the biggest problem, it's Zardes. The guy can't finish." Talked at length about seeing him up close with the Crew etc and was adamant that the USMNT would be doing much better with someone else in the 9 spot.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

All this bashing on Bradley is funny, because I was talking with a D1 coach this weekend about the USMNT, and started in on Bradley per my norm. He cut me off, and said, "Bradley isn't the biggest problem, it's Zardes. The guy can't finish." Talked at length about seeing him up close with the Crew etc and was adamant that the USMNT would be doing much better with someone else in the 9 spot.

I think many of us have wanted them to boot both ASAP, but there’s this tall, skinny guy who keeps getting in the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

I think many of us have wanted them to boot both ASAP, but there’s this tall, skinny guy who keeps getting in the way.

Yes, we have all been pretty consistent in condemning having either player. Zardes and Bradley should never see the national team again. Bradley isn't good enough anymore and Zardes was never good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:16 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yes, our forwards could have finished better.  There were a couple decent chances.  its even possible the US might have pulled off the win. 

Doesn't excuse the midfield was totally owned. 

And looking at those chances, alot were mostly kicking a longball and having Altidore/Pulisic go chase it.   Again shows how terrible the midfield was, that they were totally incapable of moving the ball upfield themselves, or generating chances off a pressure/turnover.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok ya'll. Just because every once and awhile I feel the need to re-evaluate things and how I see soccer. It's been over two years now since Trinidad & Tobago.

IMO, Taylor Twellman's rant needs to be revisited on occasion. 

So, please watch both of these videos...and then answer the questions......

QUESTIONS:

1) Was Taylor right then?

2) Is he still right today?

3) have we made ANY of the changes needed to elevate US men's soccer?

Finally,

4) If no, then do you think those changes are coming?

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone watch that PORvATL match last night?

Freaking mental from the whistle.

Probably some of the most physical up-and-down play I've seen in a LOOOOOOONG time, even with a two goal margin ATL didn't camp, they continued to press and be physical. I was honestly stunned that it ended 2-0 because of how many opportunities they were each getting, but Guzan ****ing stood on his head last night!

He had one quick reaction hand save off a header from 7 yards that was MotM worthy!

And this assist from Gressel.......

Edited by AsburySkinsFan