Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

30 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Not exactly. We field a team that mostly plays in a 3rd rate league and they do also.  The experiment that the MLS can help the national team is over.  The US is not soccer crazy enough to use our huge populace to our advantage. Probably never will be.

cant agree with this.

The MLS does help and is good for young players to get their craft together to make the big move. There were a lot of goal scorers last night in the qualifiers who play in MLS. The problem with the American player is development before they become professionals.

Our country's sports development is a mess in all of our sports, its just exposed more in soccer. Until we take youth development more serious in this country, we will be a mess.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the Bradley/Altidore generation failed the US. Those players are supposed to be in their primes now yet where is Sal Zizzo, Danny Szetelea, Robbie Rogers, Freddy Adu, etc? 

I am the ONLY soccer fan at my office, legit no one else really watches.  There's a couple guys and gals who watch sports regularly, and I've been trying to get them to watch soccer.  It's strange because I played American football and now I talk about soccer maybe more than the sport I played, but I've been going on about qualifying for the WC and getting people excited to see the team play in the summer.

Today is one of the most embarrassing fandom moments I can recall.  Last night the exact reason people just don't care about soccer in this country.  A flat team and an emotionless manager lose to a last place T&T that appeared to be the squad playing for a WC spot.  To go 2 down at full strength is utterly shambolic.  There's a new antagonist for USMNT fans, lucky for Wondolowski.  Omar Gonzalez is going to live this day forever.  

• Like 2

u_12_map_2016_17.png

5yETrvu.png

Comparison of US size to Germany. Note the density of their "elite football schools" vs ours. Elite competition is much more concentrated. 

germany-california.jpg

The US Devlopment Academy map was for U-12, notice the difference as players get older. Fewer and fewer.

u_13_u_14_map_2016_17-2.png

u_15_u_18_map_2016_17-2.png

• Like 3

I’m honestly more pissed off today than I was last night. The ONLY saving grace has been Taylor Wellman on ESPN last night and this morning. He is the antitidote for Arena’s “nothing needs to change” attitude.

He hits every aspect of men’s soccer in the US. 

Pay to play and lack of academies

College’s 2.5 months of play

Lack of relegation in MLS/USL

No pressure or accountability for players

Every aspect of player development operates independently of the others.

No unified US soccer philosophy

350 million people and the players are all coming from the East coast rich families.

His discussion this morning was even better and further reaching. 

It’s time for real criticism

It’s time for REAL changes, not just name and face changes at the top.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’m honestly more pissed off today than I was last night. The ONLY saving grace has been Taylor Wellman on ESPN last night and this morning. He is the antitidote for Arena’s “nothing needs to change” attitude.

He hits every aspect of men’s soccer in the US. 

Pay to play and lack of academies

College’s 2.5 months of play

Lack of relegation in MLS/USL

No pressure or accountability for players

Every aspect of player development operates independently of the others.

No unified US soccer philosophy

350 million people and the players are all coming from the East coast rich families.

His discussion this morning was even better and further reaching. 

It’s time for real criticism

It’s time for REAL changes, not just name and face changes at the top.

Let's be honest. All of Twellman's points has been stuff that has been talked about for YEARS now. Let's not pretend like he's the first to realize these shortcomings. At the moment, he might be the loudest and most passionate, but let's not confuse that for being right either. Arena with his tone deaf response doesn't help either. 3four3 blog has been banging this drum for at least a decade now—they were probably the source of twellman's rant.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yeah, nothing Twellman said is new or original. If anything, the system helped people like him.

Its not original at all.

Yes. That's the irony for me. He's out there ranting and I'm just thinking—you hypocrite, this is the system that made YOU. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elessar78 said:

Yes. That's the irony for me. He's out there ranting and I'm just thinking—you hypocrite, this is the system that made YOU. 

At least Twellman's stuff isnt the nonsense that Lalas talked last month. 

Eddie Johnson's twitter account the last few years has been the best on this subject matter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

At least Twellman's stuff isnt the nonsense that Lalas talked last month. 

Eddie Johnson's twitter account the last few years has been the best on this subject matter.

EJ's  take is one take. No doubt that happens, but the DAs have not been existence for a long time so you have to fill the larders somehow. And up until very recently the DAs youngest were U14s—so there was no pipeline other than to take players from other clubs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Let's be honest. All of Twellman's points has been stuff that has been talked about for YEARS now. Let's not pretend like he's the first to realize these shortcomings. At the moment, he might be the loudest and most passionate, but let's not confuse that for being right either. Arena with his tone deaf response doesn't help either. 3four3 blog has been banging this drum for at least a decade now—they were probably the source of twellman's rant.

Not saying his points are original or unique, but his prominent and unflinching dressing down of the entire system at this moment is sorely needed. Especially in a time when so many are tempted to make excuses Twellmen didn’t blink, he hit the program and system right between the eyes and took on EVERY level of development. 

This stood in stark contrast to Arena saying that nothing needed to change. Either Twellman is insane or Arena is dillusional, there’s no middle ground on this one.

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Irrelevant, he was a youth product of a highly flawed system, now on the outside with experience and better vision he sees the system that did create him is flawed in many ways.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

If Arena had said that anywhere else in the world, he would be getting roasted in the papers/media the following day.

Even Roy Hodgson had the sense to resign immediately after losing to Iceland in Euros 2016.

The American media wants to be friends.

With no world cup access to offer, you are going to see a lot more dressing down articles from people who are generally safe like this:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/11/us-soccer-sunil-gulati-president-usmnt-world-cup-qualifying-failure

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

it wouldn't have mattered. This group aint that good.

The Pulisic generation needs to be put into the team now over the next 4 years. That kid in Schalke may be the first legitimately good central midfielder, along with that kid with Red Bulls.

its not.

I think we had this discussion weeks ago.

Better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth (so to speak/type) and remove all doubt.

At least your seeing things my way, now.  Cheers.

Just now, DC9 said:

I think we had this discussion weeks ago.

Better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth (so to speak/type) and remove all doubt.

why would you call me an idiot?

I did not insult you.

Here is the story. We have no idea how good these young players really are. You cant just throw them into the team.

Like I have said throughout, the Altidore/Bradley generation were supposed to take over. They didnt. Thats why this team is where it is now. The US have not qualified for hte last two Olympics. That is shocking. Those are the players who are supposed to make this group up and they were not good enough. Just because we have a Pulisic doesnt mean that they are all Pulisic and are ready at the same time.

This crop for 2018 was not good enough. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

why would you call me an idiot?

We have no idea how good these young players really are. You cant just throw them into the team.

22 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Pulisic generation needs to be put into the team now over the next 4 years.

Sorry, inconsistent is more appropriate.

You were like talking to a wall the last time we had a discussion in here. 

My mom (Mexican immigrant) says that on the Spanish channels the US is being roasted. Apparently footage of the players arriving and the pitch was wet and they had already taped up and didn't want to get their feet wet so trainers had to piggy back them onto the pitch. Spanish channels roasting them as princess divas.

Any truth to this? She says there's video?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Sorry, inconsistent is more appropriate.

You were like talking to a wall the last time we had a discussion in here. 

huh? 

My post said you can start blooding them in now with hopes for getting ready for the 2022 world cup and seeing if they are good enough.

Not, "play them now so that we can qualify for the 2018 world cup because they are our only hope."

That's different. Notice I said "Pulisic generation." That means his cohort are teenagers, not the 22 year olds you wanted to hype up.