Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

The issue is pay to play which keeps us from finding a lot of young talent.

Found this talent that you seem to be impressed with. Now if we are looking for a "Magic Mexican" to be the "savior" then US Soccer needs to hire more scouts. 

The players you saw last night (that are based in America) all came through P2P then mostly into MLS academies, which are getting better and expanding. It's far from perfect but better than we've had.

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

16-18 is a very important time for development and its where we fall behind the rest of the world. College is horrible for developing players and I think players who want to become professionals should skip college. 

Go back through my posts. I've been making this argument since at least 2013. Guess what, fewer and fewer of the players you saw last night are going to college. MLS academies and into the pro system somehwere. 

People just wanna write off anything that isn't gloom and doom and that isn't burn it and start again approach. People write off guys like Sasho like he knows nothing. 

7 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Found this talent that you seem to be impressed with. Now if we are looking for a "Magic Mexican" to be the "savior" then US Soccer needs to hire more scouts. 

The players you saw last night (that are based in America) all came through P2P then mostly into MLS academies, which are getting better and expanding. It's far from perfect but better than we've had.

Go back through my posts. I've been making this argument since at least 2013. Guess what, fewer and fewer of the players you saw last night are going to college. MLS academies and into the pro system somehwere. 

People just wanna write off anything that isn't gloom and doom and that isn't burn it and start again approach. People write off guys like Sasho like he knows nothing. 

Well yeah, P2P will find some talent, if not we wouldnt have many players. But we are missing out on even more. There are tons of kids whos family cant afford to pay thousands for them to play soccer. NFL, MLB, NBA, all have great players where the sport was there hope for a better life, they didnt have a lot of money growing up. There are just as many kids who love soccer and its the same thing, but P2P limits finding those players as there are plenty that cant afford it. This country is huge, we have lots of talent out there that falls through the crack. We need to find a way to limit that and P2P is hampering it. We cannot hire enough scouts to cover all of the kids league across this country.

And more players bypassing college is a good thing and part of the reason that we see improvement in our young talent, but we need to cast a much wider net. There are tons of players that arent close enough to a pro team to join an academy. And these teams should be covering all costs for these kids.

We need to burn a lot of it as its not working, but there are obviously good things. I think Klinesmanns biggest impact has been developing the youth programs and trying to revamp that.

The biggest issue is the mentality of the leaders when you hear Bruce Arena saying right after we didnt make the World Cup that we didnt need to change anything. That what we are doing is working. If it was working we wouldnt be losing to TnT and missing out on the World Cup to Panama and Honduras.

• Like 2

Why does Manchester United lose to Midjytlland? It happens in soccer.

It was a stupid thing for Bruce to say in a, probably, emotionally charged moment. 

There are other leagues outside of P2P, like "travel"—so that takes away the "all you need is ball and a field". Most of the coaching and competition sucks, but it IS a place where players of all economic backgrounds can play. If there are players in these leagues worth finding, then that's why we have scouts. The Euro powers (like Germany and Spain), they can do what they do for a couple of reasons—gov't pays for facilities, so costs are nominal. They have a huge cadre of coaches willing to volunteer and are willing to do it for the right reasons. In the US, we don't have either of those (cheap facilities or a large, qualified body of coaches). Their big clubs also have scouts willing to do this work for the price of ticket to the next home game or something nominal. 

A lot of our peers grew up playing soccer, but frankly, they grew up in the dark ages of soccer in America and now they are off and regurgitating the same bull**** they learned instead of learning "new" and better ways. You still have dad-coaches that refuse to allow players to pass back to their GK. 

And again, who pays for all these kids to play soccer? In europe and SAmerica, the clubs pay for their coaches. Who pays for all these inner city and barrio fields? Target has started, but we need more. Who pays for the transportation to get them from home to practice or these "free leagues"? Who pays for the insurance and injuries when they get hurt? Who pays for their parents' time away from work? I guess it's fine to say "burn it down and start over" but no one ever provides answers on how to improve access or reduce costs. 

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Why does Manchester United lose to Midjytlland? It happens in soccer.

It was a stupid thing for Bruce to say in a, probably, emotionally charged moment. 

There are other leagues outside of P2P, like "travel"—so that takes away the "all you need is ball and a field". Most of the coaching and competition sucks, but it IS a place where players of all economic backgrounds can play. If there are players in these leagues worth finding, then that's why we have scouts. The Euro powers (like Germany and Spain), they can do what they do for a couple of reasons—gov't pays for facilities, so costs are nominal. They have a huge cadre of coaches willing to volunteer and are willing to do it for the right reasons. In the US, we don't have either of those (cheap facilities or a large, qualified body of coaches). Their big clubs also have scouts willing to do this work for the price of ticket to the next home game or something nominal. 

A lot of our peers grew up playing soccer, but frankly, they grew up in the dark ages of soccer in America and now they are off and regurgitating the same bull**** they learned instead of learning "new" and better ways. You still have dad-coaches that refuse to allow players to pass back to their GK. 

And again, who pays for all these kids to play soccer? In europe and SAmerica, the clubs pay for their coaches. Who pays for all these inner city and barrio fields? Target has started, but we need more. Who pays for the transportation to get them from home to practice or these "free leagues"? Who pays for the insurance and injuries when they get hurt? Who pays for their parents' time away from work? I guess it's fine to say "burn it down and start over" but no one ever provides answers on how to improve access or reduce costs. 

The TnT game isnt a one off. The last couple of years, or more, have been very worrying. We have not been playing well and have had a hard time against CONCACAF competition. If not, we would have easily qualified. Outside of Costa Rica and Mexico we shouldnt be losing to any of these teams in CONCACAF. We kept trotting out the same old tired players regardless of how they were playing, no accountability in US Soccer.

Agreed, youth coaching is a problem. Its getting better but still a long ways to go. Arrogance of US youth coaches has been brought up and thats something that needs to be fixed. Makes no sense that they would be arrogant.

I dont think anyone assumes its going to be an easy process with easy answers, but we definitely need to start over in a lot of areas. We have already started the work with that in the youth system and coaching requirements. Its going to take time, but there are a lot of changes to me made. Just because we dont have the answer right now doesnt mean we should keep doing what isnt working. Start trying things. Thats the hope with the change in leadership, that they start coming up with new ideas, new ways of doing things. Soccer being all over TV now will be big for soccer in this country. Kids these days can see the best teams in the world any time they want, thats only a pretty recent change. Soccer is becoming a part of the culture of the US, the more that continues the better off we will be.

The cost of transportation and such is always going to be there, whether it is P2P or "free". Thats just the cost of life. The problem is having to shell out thousands more to play.

The election in February is going to be important.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 1

We lost to T&T's B team. The B Team.

A worsening problem is our lack of good coaches. Bradley ran from Ligue 1 and EPL when it got hard. Arena never left home after his first stint with the USMNT. David Wagner isn't leaving Huddersfield any time soon, unless it's to a bigger club. I don't trust any MLS coach to be up to date on UEFA's state-of-the-art.

Edited by FanboyOf91
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Yeah, don't see that being a worry. We are easily the best suited to host it especially when looking at our only competition. Plus Trump will be gone well before then. If Russia and the UAE are getting World Cups we won't miss out.

The politics will choose, and that’s the problem. This will be decided well before he’s gone

56 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

After the debacle this year US Soccer could use a shotbin the arm. Lord knows next summer will be depressinv as hell.

If missing out on the World Cup is not enough of a shot in the arm to soccer in this country, we are even more screwed then we realize. Thankfully its seemed to stir something, we shall see if its enough.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think there is anything US Soccer could have done. US soccer has been calling this kid in and supporting him from the U-14 level on. Mexico has shown zero interest in him until he became a starter at Monterrey. We have put in time and effort into him and were supporting him for a long time and the second Mexico shows interest only after he has proven something he leaves?

He was just leading us on and hoping for Mexico from the beginning.

Heard the Gonzalez news on Sirius yesterday.  Just another shame.

Don't worry... I'm sure someone whose dad was a coach will have a turn soon.

And I have a ****ing list of you who were critical of me when I said to blow it up and go young during the Copa America a couple of years ago and if you say one ****ing word to the contrary about this I will ****ing ruin you on here. 

Play with me.

7 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I dont think there is anything US Soccer could have done. US soccer has been calling this kid in and supporting him from the U-14 level on. Mexico has shown zero interest in him until he became a starter at Monterrey. We have put in time and effort into him and were supporting him for a long time and the second Mexico shows interest only after he has proven something he leaves?

He was just leading us on and hoping for Mexico from the beginning.

Not true.  He never got a call after that.  He was never called for any camps with the senior team because we were too busy trotting out Michael Bradley and friends.  He's been waiting for a call for the last year and a half and it never came during qualifying.  Granted he's only really played well for Monteray for about 6 months, but we have no one with foresite.  At all.  Unless they play in the trash Bundesliga, of course.

That generation has cost us everything.  But we couldn't wait to finish 4th at the Copa America and win the Gold Cup.

I'm also upset that we aren't going as young as absolutely possible with this January camp.  At least we're averaging an age of 24 for this camp - but it should still be younger.  They do have the excuse that a lot of the kids in European academies can't leave at the moment.

• Like 1

I want to say this again.  **** you Bruce Arena and Sunil Gulati.  Next summer is going to suck because of you.  And **** you Landon DOnovan and Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey and every other one of you piece of ****s that chose to take the easy road in MLS rather than having to work hard in Europe.

Seriously.  **** right off.

• Like 3