Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Riggins A Football Life

skinsfan35yrs.

Was just watching Riggo's A Football Life on the NFL network. Absolutely made me smile watching him run over people, leaving bodies on the turf has he bowled threw. By far my favorite episode. BUt, 3/4 of the way into the show, all of a sudden "Breaking New" Tom The Cheater" Brady's appeal hearing is over after 10 hrs. WTF? This is breaking news? So important that they interrupt a program to rehash and rehash and rehash the same ole crap. There was no new news. Nada, just yakkity yak by  a bunch of nobodys. I'm pissed

Yep, same thing happened to me.  As far as NFL Network is concerned, the whole world revolves around Tom Brady and the Patriots.

I was on vacation several years ago, when Lebron was going to make "The Decision".  I had to listen to the same crap day after day on ESPN (...and that's why I can't stand Lebron).  

Yeah, the NFL Network sucks right now.

All they show is re-runs of "Top 100 Players", and "NFL Top 10" episodes from a decade ago.

Whenever, they show a game from the past, it always the Patriots, the Cowboys, or something to do with Peyton Manning.

Meh.

It looks like you will get to see the greatness that was Jim Zorn as well.....'

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198511030gnb.htm

The Football Life one on Riggins was really good.  They talked about his childhood and how his father always judged him vs his older brother.  They also talked about the loosen up Sandy baby incident....interviewed Riggins and Chuck Robb (who was at the same table and said Riggins drank four bottles of wine during the event.)

The programming is mediocre at times. I would prefer that they show old games or a football life.

This is my issue with NFL network. They are sitting on a gold mine of old games and they'd rather show top 10s. They should be replaying entire seasons from the past opening up new audiences and fans to the great players of the past. Like they do with NFL replay, why not choose the best 4 games from any given week and replay entire seasons that way. But nah, lets run top 10 best punters. If it weren't for 25+ years of dedication to the Redskins, the NFL would be dead to me and I wouldn't even follow it anymore. There is no integrity in the NFL and the current product they put out on the field is garbage. The least they could do is show the golden years of the league on their network since we will never see football like that anymore and no one else has the rights to those games.

Top tens generate controversy (sometimes) and suck in viewers. They aren't roping in a younger crowd by showing games from past eras, as sad as that is. They're sitting on a cash cow, and the NFL has been ruthless in expanding their market. I think we can be pretty sure that they're airing what they know will get the most viewership. If old games would offer them better ratings, they'd be showing more old games. You're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise, here. You can bet they've done the research, the focus groups, studied the data. They're airing what people want to watch, unfortunately.

...drives me NUTS that NFL Films has the highlights for the 1972 NFC Championship game and with all the footage they have, they could probably recreate the game.  I have written to them about this, but I feel like Indiana Jones at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (minus the top men),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjf4lMmiiI

I did buy the 1972 highlight (Game of the Week) DVD a few years ago......

I think we can be pretty sure that they're airing what they know will get the most viewership. If old games would offer them better ratings, they'd be showing more old games. You're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise, here. You can bet they've done the research, the focus groups, studied the data. They're airing what people want to watch, unfortunately.

I dunno there is probably a market for a mashup of Brett Farve's first NFL start and his first "breakout" game. They could hire summer interns to produce the episodes. They could do a compilation of mic'd up games or top ten players* based on little known but important stats.

*I don't mind the top 10s but I wish they were based on stats than group opinions.

They're going to have one featuring Dexter Manley (date and time unknown for now).

http://httr4life.com/redskins-dexter-manley-to-be-featured/

On another note (and I don't know if this has been posted before... if yes, forgive me)... it is now official... according to DVOA ratings going back to 1950, Football Outsiders deemed the 1991 Washington Redskins to be the best team of ALL TIME, PERIOD.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25228031/identifying-the-best-single-season-team-in-every-nfl-franchises-history

Top tens generate controversy (sometimes) and suck in viewers. They aren't roping in a younger crowd by showing games from past eras, as sad as that is. They're sitting on a cash cow, and the NFL has been ruthless in expanding their market. I think we can be pretty sure that they're airing what they know will get the most viewership. If old games would offer them better ratings, they'd be showing more old games. You're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise, here. You can bet they've done the research, the focus groups, studied the data. They're airing what people want to watch, unfortunately.

Well honestly when you counter point like that there really isn't much I can say other than it is just pretty damn frustrating what they have locked up in their faults that is just collecting dust. I still think they should at least give it a shot and see what happens. Id love to watch Butkus and some of those bear defenses from back in the day along with a ton of other players most of us have just seen from career highlight packages.

Well honestly when you counter point like that there really isn't much I can say other than it is just pretty damn frustrating what they have locked up in their faults that is just collecting dust. I still think they should at least give it a shot and see what happens. Id love to watch Butkus and some of those bear defenses from back in the day along with a ton of other players most of us have just seen from career highlight packages.

Man I agree with you, as a mid-20's football fan I would love to see a lot of that classic stuff. I just honestly think they're 100% profit driven, and have shown they know what they're doing...if you accept those two assumptions, then unfortunately the truth must be that this crap is what people want to watch. It's sad.

The programming is mediocre at times. I would prefer that they show old games or a football life.

Oh come on, we all love top 10 things to love about Tim Tebow, Sound FX Best of Tom Brady and Tim Tebow, NFL replays from the 2011 Broncos for almost 5 hours, Total Access, and then yep, you guessed it, Top 10 things we love about Tebow and then A Football Life: The Faces of Tebow, and if you miss it no worries, it plays again in 1.5 hours, and in between we have replays of Broncos with..... Tebow!!!!!!

Seriously, this is the bulk of their programming today.  :excl:

Archived