Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Asian Americans saw white Americans the way white Americans see black Americans

SkinsHokieFan

I'll even add, I honestly don't think that "most" people judge only by the color of skin. I do think we have stereotypes that we believe are correct, but I don't know that they are always only associated with skin color.

Lets face it, a lot of stereotypes are true. (there are examples in all races) 

I sincerely hope the author wasn't trying to claim that Asian Americans aren't racist.  That's simply untrue.  Being of South Asian descent I know plenty of racist people in my community.  They exist in every community.

I can't speak for the guy, but my takeaway was that his only point was to showcase how ridiculous some of the generalizations sound when you cast them on other races.  Like the next time a white guy gets a DUI, someone should go on TV and say, "What I don't understand is why don't white people band together and stop this?  After all these drunk drivers live in their communities so they're the ones who have the most to lose if they end up causing a major wreck." 

Or when college kids riot after a big game, "Where are the parents in all this?  Its their tuition money that's going to have to pay to fix all this damage. What happened to personal responsibility?"

Both of those statements are completely ridiculous, but they're logically equivalent to the conventional wisdom out there.

back to the OP: the whole point of view seems to rest on a basic premise that Asian-Americans are less inclined to be racist (towards black Americans) than white-Americans are.......  to be blunt, I don't think that this is true 

Well, we should probably figure out what "Asian" means. There's a pretty big difference between Japanese, Indian or whatever SHF is.

(SHF seems to be carving out his own category of "chill bro Pakistani"......or Iranian....or Portuguese or something. I don't know what he is).

Korean green grocers in New York City probably have slightly different racial attitudes than....I dunno....Indian tech workers in California).

i didn't mean SHF!

i was referring to the premise of the guy he quoted....

(and in general, its always surprising how hard it is to put 3 billion people into a single convenient box )

the next time a white guy gets a DUI, someone should go on TV and say, "What I don't understand is why don't white people band together and stop this?  After all these drunk drivers live in their communities so they're the ones who have the most to lose if they end up causing a major wreck." 

Or when college kids riot after a big game, "Where are the parents in all this?  Its their tuition money that's going to have to pay to fix all this damage. What happened to personal responsibility?"

:)

Well, we should probably figure out what "Asian" means. There's a pretty big difference between Japanese, Indian or whatever SHF is.

(SHF seems to be carving out his own category of "chill bro Pakistani"......or Iranian....or Portuguese or something. I don't know what he is).

Korean green grocers in New York City probably have slightly different racial attitudes than....I dunno....Indian tech workers in California).

never understood that usage and prefer oriental and near eastern ...but that is probably offensive to some.(as is calling them Asian)

Asian parents stress the importance of STEM careers to their kids. STEM careers are probably what one of the few avenues left for people to be middle class, upper middle class or even higher. So Asians do well. And the stereotype that Asian parents are some kind of dictator-like monsters for school work is so laughably false. Education is stressed heavily in Asian families. Some of the parents take it a step further. Most parents are pretty mild, but they make it a priority. 

Asians, especially from India, don't always come here with great jobs in hand. But they get by on what they can afford and a lot of first generation Indian parents allowed their kids to live the "American Dream". I think there is something to be learned from it culture wise because many of these immigrants faced the same socioeconomic problems that a lot of other people in this country face but are trapped in cycles of generational poverty.

Vish,, do you think things will change once people like me and you are the first generation born here and we are way more priviledged than our parents? I make more money than my mom already and she has been working for 30 years.  Most of us come from immigrants who came here in the 70s and 80s who had 0 money and had to work **** jobs in order to live. 

That's true of all races.

I've given this a lot of thought.

It is a very serious and sensitive topic.

I suggest many Asian Americans actually DO view many white Americans the same way many white Americans view many black Americans. By looking up.

Thank you, and be sure to send your comments to "Dan Snyder--Ashburn"

Watching "Vice" last night, about how China loves us (they quoted it) "Caucasians" in their print photo ads, etc.   Had a complete BS dude, posing as a doctor at a conference.  The only speech that was heavily attended was his.  And he was a fake.  I don't know what to make of that.

That's true of all races.

Yup. I often find when people talk about "white people in general" ...I very rarely find myself on the "general" side. There is a big difference between white people like me...a boy who grew up the son of a welder and homemaker...a descendent of farmers on all sides....and the "upper class" white people....who are the ones people are really talking about when they say "white people." I'm talking more about social class than anything else here I realize..., but it's still generalizing.

Yup. I often find when people talk about "white people in general" ...I very rarely find myself on the "general" side. There is a big difference between white people like me...a boy who grew up the son of a welder and homemaker...a descendent of farmers on all sides....and the "upper class" white people....who are the ones people are really talking about when they say "white people." I'm talking more about social class than anything else here I realize..., but it's still generalizing.

Yeah that's how I feel as well. My dad was first generation born in this country and pretty much everyone hated Italians lol.

As someone who dated Asian Americans ( I hate saying that because if you are born here you are American )...

They seem to just want to be on the hustle and grind always.

Rarely do they date/marry Hispanic or black men or women.

They seem to feel they are the same as whites most of the time.

That is discipline.

Religion and culture have a strong position as well.

Why did you put that in there?

(if it was a joke, then I'm just being dense cuz I miss the connection---and I'm just being curious here)

Some view you on the board as a Mod Dictator.  Jumbo Jung-Un if you know what I mean.... :lol:

Some view you on the board as a Mod Dictator.  Jumbo Jung-Un if you know what I mean.... :lol:

Dictator, how so ?

You've been here a while and you think that people think that ? That's pitiful, perhaps they shouldn't be here anyway.

Man, he is just a guy enjoying the conversations like the rest of us.

He joins in here and there and ignores things he has no interest in or points have already been stated in the thread that he would make.

I do the same.

His responsibility is to make sure the rest of us don't act like idiots...well, outward idiots.

Make sure it is not like the old Eagles boards, and make sure that we follow simple rules that were mainly put in place before he was "that guy".

Don't take that as a slam on what you are saying, I am just surprised that someone as forgiving as Mike Hunt would be perceived that way.

Dictator, how so ?

You've been here a while and you think that people think that ? That's pitiful, perhaps they shouldn't be here anyway.

Man, he is just a guy enjoying the conversations like the rest of us.

He joins in here and there and ignores things he has no interest in or points have already been stated in the thread that he would make.

I do the same.

His responsibility is to make sure the rest of us don't act like idiots...well, outward idiots.

Make sure it is not like the old Eagles boards, and make sure that we follow simple rules that were mainly put in place before he was "that guy".

Don't take that as a slam on what you are saying, I am just surprised that someone as forgiving as Mike Hunt would be perceived that way.

It's called sarcasm.  :rolleyes:

Some view you on the board as a Mod Dictator. Jumbo Jung-Un if you know what I mean.... :lol:

Is that how you see him? Good to see the Turing test is proving a success. Mr. Snyder will be pleased all is going according to plan.

Code, stop being obtuse about the thug thing. Seriously. It's really a sad ploy.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that movie is fictional.

Its not a "sad ploy".  If you think "thug" means black, that's your problem.  You are the racist. I'm not, plenty of other people are not.

What does the movie being fictional have to do with anything?  Only thugs can be white in fictional movies?  

You are acting in a similar way that the Redskins name changers do.  ( I think you are one)

Thug pretty much lost that universal use about 30-40 years ago.

I'm the least racist person you will ever meet. Not even close. Swing and a miss.

That last part regarding it being fictional... was a joke.

Again, you are being obtuse.

You are acting in a similar way that the Redskins name changers do.  ( I think you are one)

Thug pretty much lost that universal use about 30-40 years ago.

I'm the least racist person you will ever meet. Not even close. Swing and a miss.

That last part regarding it being fictional... was a joke.

Again, you are being obtuse.

The "thug" thing is an attempt to make everyone racist.  Maybe in some parts of the country, that might be the case. I use the word all the time for kids in the high school I teach and some are black, some are white.  I don't honestly think you are personally racist, but you shouldn't be thinking that every time the word thug is used, its a hidden racist comment directed towards blacks.

The word is Indian in origin.  Its not even an American invention.

I couldn't care less if the Redskins change their name or not, but I have personally witnessed the the use of the word Redskin used as a slur, just like the N word (used that way often) while i lived in Montana, where there is a high percentage of Native Americans.  So I understand the argument, but it doesn't affect me personally.

I think "thug" genuinely catches people off guard.  Because some DO use it as a not-so-secret-wink-wink-smoke-signal to be not-so-covertly racist,  but not all.

... the word has been around in general usage for years, and plenty use it WITHOUT the "wink wink" associated with it.   Frankly the word wouldn't work as a wink-wink-smoke-signal if it DIDN'T have the innocent usage for winking people to point toward as they claim innocence with exaggerating (winking) gestures.... 

Archived