Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't think people grasp the size of the Houston Metro Area. I'm in the Western Suburbs. TWA is in the Eastern Suburbs. I am 50 miles away from him on a straight line.

Sounds like here in ATL.  The sprawl is beyond belief, and even though we're inland, if rain just sat over us for days, my back yard would be a literal lake.  Everything runs down from left to right, but we have the "puddle part", separated from the neighbors out back by a fence, and they flood a helluva lot worse than we do, their land is flatter, if that makes science spin on its head.

My old house that I had on my own had a creek that ran parallel to the house in the back yard, I used to chip golf balls over both fences for practice...till the day water came up over that bank and headed toward me...I wonder if the bags of kitty litter I left piled up next to the lower wall are still there...before the plastic/mylar bags became the popular packaging, hoping they'd soak it up somewhat if things ever got worse...I'd never moved 'em when I left, they were very beneficial and who saw my backyard/chipping area anyway?!?!

LKB, is this your area?

Boil water advisory issued for parts of Houston

Utility District 6 in Harris County, which covers parts of western Houston, issued the advisory on Tuesday, according to local station Fox26.

“To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, water for drinking, cooking, and ice making should be boiled and cooled prior to use for drinking water or human consumption purposes,” the notice reads, as reported by the affiliate. 

The Lake Forest Utility is also under a boil water advisory, as is neighboring Montgomery County’s Woodbranch Village.

It is unclear how many residents are affected by the advisory.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/348444-boil-water-advisory-issued-for-parts-of-houston-area

Just now, HoustonSkin said:

The sun peaked out today!  Looks like rain will be all but gone from areas west of Beaumont by tomorrow.

Still got a bunch of water rescues to go, hopefully they can get to most of those tomorrow.

looking much better, still have the water flowing down to contend with and a mess

20K or so displaced ain't bad though ,relatively speaking

17 hours ago, twa said:

LKB, is this your area?

Boil water advisory issued for parts of Houston

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/348444-boil-water-advisory-issued-for-parts-of-houston-area

Near us, not us.

We are near a lot of bad stuff, but seem to be on a pretty safe island so far.

The Barker reservoir is too close for comfort. But we are not on the "spillage" map and they actually seem to have stopped the controlled releases.

It seems like it stopped raining 8 hours earlier than they anticipated on the west side and then, the sun magically appeared. It was downright hot and sunny at 4 yesterday. The rain is obviously the big deal, but I have to think the sun helps a little bit with evaporation. And every half inch of water is critical at this point.

I live just south of I-10 and East of 99 in Cinco Ranch. North of 10, Old Town Katy is under water. The apartments west of 99 have been flooded. Everything east of 99 and south of Westheimer Parkway (which runs through George Bush Park and becomes Westheimer Road) is still having water rescues. And that area is standing in the path of whatever awfulness the reservoir has in store for them - though the threat appears to be lessening.

Those are also some really high-end gated communities that are being devastated. Harvey was not discriminatory.

I believe that North of I-10 has a water boil as do places south of Westheimer Parkway.

So I know this is so way down on the scale of significance, but did anybody see the news clip from the reporter who spotted a drenched, shivering possum huddled on a Houston bridge abutment?  Somehow the images of that animal captured all the heartache and other emotions that all Houstonians, human and animal, are going through.

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-29%20at%2012.00.

Video can be found at this Miami Herald link:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article169960892.html

• Sad 3