Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NCAA March Madness

AsburySkinsFan

It's admirable to coach like that and expect that out of one's players, but it's also a load of **** to act like bad calls don't change games completely. In this final four there have been two late replays which officials got wrong both times. Things that are correctable, can't be missed. When a guy is driving along the baseline, fundamentals of officiating have you checking the feet. Those weren't difficult calls to make.

According to ASF, calls went for Wisky in the semi. No one was crying for KY.

I didn't say they don't change the outcome. But players can do way more to affect the outcome. The refs made numerous great calls for Wisky that forced platform and Winslow to sit. What'd Wisky do with that advantage?

I personally think the ref agenda thing is overblown. All of the Duke players were in foul trouble. Especially Okafor.

Were there some bum calls? Yeah. The refs blew the out of bounds play for sure.

But Wisconsin had long stretches with the best Duke players on the bench in foul trouble and they couldn't pull away.

According to ASF, calls went for Wisky in the semi. No one was crying for KY.

I didn't say they don't change the outcome. But players can do way more to affect the outcome. The refs made numerous great calls for Wisky that forced platform and Winslow to sit. What'd Wisky do with that advantage?

Numerous?? LOL

I keep seeing people say that two Duke players go out blah blah, but they didn't have the number one recruiting class cause of two players. A HS all-american goes out, another takes over. In the last four Duke games, Okafor has been a factor in one and that was a blowout. 6, 9, 18, 10 points in those four games.

Ok, its been over for an hour.  No more need to complain peeps.  Duke won, regardless of how we feel they won, it's done.  No need getting nasty or banned over college basketball :)  

I'm happy for E and skinsmarydu, regardless of how much I hate Duke.  Enjoy the victory.  Time for bed, nite peeps.

Oh ok. Okafor not a factor for Duke. It's been nice chatting.

Check the last four games. Sorry if you don't like being wrong. They have been winning without him recently. Unless 6, 8 and 10 points by Okafor in those games is being a factor by an all-american who averaged 18 points per game.

You sure do selectively read.

Really disappointing. So many interesting outcomes in the sweet 16 and we get Duke again? Ugh.

Duke by far had the easiest bracket. Their last three games were SD State, Utah and overated Gonzaga, then got 7 seed Michigan St.. Wisconsin faced Oregon, North Carolina and Arizona, then got Kentucky.

Why do y'all think everything was easy?  Kind of like everyone thought Mercer would be an easy win last year...?

We lost to Notre Dame!  We also beat UVA, who was perfect at the time..."it's why we play the game"!!!  There are NO gimmes.

Duke is very capable of losing indeed.  This tournament, it just didn't happen. :D

complaining about calls is bush league. How many sports games at any level in any sport do people complain about the quality of refs? Bad calls are part of all sports—you gotta outplay bad calls. 

Duke shot 20 FT in the 2nd half. Wisconsin shot 10 the entire game. What did Coach K cry about going into halftime? Duke was in the double bonus at the 8 min mark. Despite Wisconsin being the least fouling team in the country. K rode the refs the entire 2nd half, and any other coach would have gotten T'd up at multiple moments in the 2nd. Tyus Jones CLEARLY committed an offensive foul when he flung himself into the Wisconsin defenders face (Jones jumped backwards to initiate contact). And1 for Duke. Winslow CLEARLY charged for his 4th personal, 2 FT for Duke. Winslow stepped out of bounds. And1 for Duke. Winslow VERY CLEARLY knocked the ball out of bounds, Duke hits a 3. These were all in the final 5 minutes of a close game. It isn't whining if all of the points are supported by visual, audio, and expert opinion.

Duke was the beneficiary of way too many generous calls in a game decided by 5 points.  

The refs didn't decide that game.

What hurt Wisconsin was for the 3rd straight time, they couldn't hold on to a 8-9 point lead. Only difference was last night, Duke capitalized on that, something Kentucky couldn't do either time on Saturday. Heck, you could make the case if the refs don't screw up the shot clock on Saturday, Wisconsin isn't even in the title game.

Duke shot 20 FT in the 2nd half. Wisconsin shot 10 the entire game. What did Coach K cry about going into halftime? Duke was in the double bonus at the 8 min mark. Despite Wisconsin being the least fouling team in the country. K rode the refs the entire 2nd half, and any other coach would have gotten T'd up at multiple moments in the 2nd. Tyus Jones CLEARLY committed an offensive foul when he flung himself into the Wisconsin defenders face (Jones jumped backwards to initiate contact). And1 for Duke. Winslow CLEARLY charged for his 4th personal, 2 FT for Duke. Winslow stepped out of bounds. And1 for Duke. Winslow VERY CLEARLY knocked the ball out of bounds, Duke hits a 3. These were all in the final 5 minutes of a close game. It isn't whining if all of the points are supported by visual, audio, and expert opinion.

Duke was the beneficiary of way too many generous calls in a game decided by 5 points.  

If it makes you feel better to see it that way, great. Wisconsin, AGAIN, had long stretches without Duke's starters AND the lead. Close 'em out. Make the officiating a non-issue. Make baskets. 

Again, give back every win your team has benefitted from bad calls and we can have this discussion. 

Love this attitude of excusing players for not executing and then blaming someone else. 

Every game has bad calls go both ways. If you have a particular rooting interest, you're going to see the ones that go against you in a more magnified way. Duke had their share of bad calls go against them. So did Wisconsin. Whining about it after the game, whether you are a Wisconsin fan, a UNC fan, a Maryland fan, or even Bo Ryan, is pretty poor form. 

PS- didn't Maryland willfully leave behind their old rivalries when they left the ACC? Apparently the fans aren't over it. haha 

No, he really isn't.

This is who Bo is. 

His team is a reflection of him. I see them complain more about calls than any other college basketball I've watched in recent memory. They flop, they act hurt, and they whine about calls. It's really quite sad to watch because they have some otherwise likable players. 

Every game has bad calls go both ways. If you have a particular rooting interest, you're going to see the ones that go against you in a more magnified way. Duke had their share of bad calls go against them. So did Wisconsin. Whining about it after the game, whether you are a Wisconsin fan, a UNC fan, a Maryland fan, or even Bo Ryan, is pretty poor form. 

I dislike both teams.   Duke got every close call, and many that were not close.  There is no way Duke should have been in the double bonus 8 minutes into the second half, and the fact that they were changed everything.

No, he really isn't.

This is who Bo is. 

Got that right.  Bo Ryan is a complete jerk.  Screw him.

If anyone had to be screwed over by the refs, I'm glad it was him.   :)

I dislike both teams.   Duke got every close call, and many that were not close.  There is no way Duke should have been in the double bonus 8 minutes into the second half, and the fact that they were changed everything.

Duke got to the double bonus because they were attacking more in the second half. 

Also, no way Okafor should have been in foul trouble as early as he was (fouls #1, 3, and 4 were questionable). THAT changed everything. He wasn't able to really step up and play aggressive until late in the game because he was in foul trouble. 

See, it goes both ways. 

PS- didn't Maryland willfully leave behind their old rivalries when they left the ACC? Apparently the fans aren't over it. haha 

Don't worry.  Give them a couple of years and they will hate Bo Ryan just as much as Duke.   :)

Duke got to the double bonus because they were attacking more in the second half. 

Also, no way Okafor should have been in foul trouble as early as he was (fouls #1, 3, and 4 were questionable). THAT changed everything. He wasn't able to really step up and play aggressive until late in the game because he was in foul trouble. 

See, it goes both ways. 

Not in my eyes.  Yes, Duke was attacking but the refs were rewarding them with free throws every time a Wisconsin player sneezed for the entire second half.  Wisconsin doesn't commit fouls on simple drives like that.  They don't reach in and they set their feet.  They go out of their way not to foul.  Didn't matter in the second half last night - Duke just crashed into them standing there with their arms above their head and got the whistle.    

I didn't see the Okafor fouls as questionable, except maybe number 3.  Number 4 was completely obvious, a silly freshman grab.

Here's how the ESPN blogger saw it, in a piece continually praising both Duke and Coach K:

Fouls -- or the lack thereof -- were an ongoing subplot throughout. In the first half, Duke committed seven fouls and drew the Badgers into just two, a low number for any half of basketball but not completely unheard of, given the foul-averse defensive style that gave Wisconsin the lowest fouls-per-game average (12.5) in the country this season. In the first five minutes of the half, referees Joe DeRosa, Michael Stephens and Pat Driscoll seemed determined to even things out. Wisconsin was whistled for four fouls in the first 4:24 of the second half, a couple of them questionable. By the 11:43 mark, the first half's foul discrepancy had already been reversed: Duke had given up just two team fouls and had already pushed Wisconsin into the bonus. By 9:07, Wisconsin had nine team fouls. The eighth might have been the most arguable of all: Jones appeared to lean in to a well-positioned Bronson Koenig, flailing and selling the officials … while also burying a seemingly impossible, hugely impressive floater to earn the and-1. (The ninth, a block/charge given to a seemingly out-of-control Winslow, wasn't a whole lot better.) But that stretch also included Okafor's third foul of the night, itself a close call on what looked like a mostly clean block ofFrank Kaminsky. When the freshman star went to the bench, Wisconsin extended its biggest lead -- 48-39 -- of the night. When he returned, at the 10:42 mark, it took him little more than a minute to get caught grabbing a spinning Kaminsky, after which Okafor immediately left the game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/106829/five-observations-duke-stops-wisconsin-wins-coach-ks-fifth-national-title

I didn't see the Okafor fouls as questionable, except maybe number 3.  Number 4 was completely obvious, a silly freshman grab.

Here's how the ESPN blogger saw it, in a piece continually praising both Duke and Coach K:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/106829/five-observations-duke-stops-wisconsin-wins-coach-ks-fifth-national-title

All fair points. Block/charge is one of the toughest calls for a ref to make. They went charge a lot in the 1st half, and block a lot in the 2nd half. 

I'll withdraw my assertion on Okafor's 4th foul. I remember seeing it live but didn't see the replay. The 1st was a block/charge that I thought Kaminsky flopped on (shocker) and the 3rd was a bad call at a crucial time. 

Point being, still, that it went both ways at different points of the game. 

Archived