Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

59 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We need something better than what 106.7 offers, I liked 980 because they talk Skins.  I don't care about Lurch getting spider bites on his penis or how many potato skins with chili Chad Dukes had the night before.

Just give me a Redskins station.

Really???  I feel the exact opposite actually.  BOTH stations talk about the Redskins too damn much as it is.  I can understand the Redskins being the primary topic on local sports talk here, but when it's May or June, and there literally NO Redskins news worthy of note, and they ask all those stupid questions like "Who will have a better season, Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins"?, or "Which Left Guard will make the team over Shaun Lauvao"?,  It gets really old after a while.  Part of the problem with this town and it's lack of true quality sports talk, is the fact that the stations around here cater too damn much to the Skins, and not enough to the other teams in the area.  In the Spring/Summer, I want to hear more Nats talk, and in the Spring, I would love to hear more about the Wiz/Caps then what 7th round corner fits the Redskins scheme.

My feeling is that if you can't do quality local sports talk radio, then just air national shows instead.  The national shows at least are more entertaining at the end of the day.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

We need something better than what 106.7 offers, I liked 980 because they talk Skins.  I don't care about Lurch getting spider bites on his penis or how many potato skins with chili Chad Dukes had the night before.

Just give me a Redskins station.

Dont forget Grant Paulen's condescending douchebaggery. 

I used to like G&D, but Danny is such a **** and Grant is such a pompous ass, they're unlistenable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Dont forget Grant Paulen's condescending douchebaggery. 

I used to like G&D, but Danny is such a **** and Grant is such a pompous ass, they're unlistenable 

YESSSSSS!!!! when Grant was a beat guy he seemed pretty likeable, but nowadays when he's not acting like he knows more than coaches and players he has to let us know which athletes he's texting with and how much access he has to events.

The dude is extremely arrogant.

I only listen because I like Danny, I understand that's an unpopular opinion :)

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, samy316 said:

BOTH stations talk about the Redskins too damn much as it is.  I can understand the Redskins being the primary topic on local sports talk here, but when it's May or June, and there literally NO Redskins news worthy of note, and they ask all those stupid questions like "Who will have a better season, Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins"?, or "Which Left Guard will make the team over Shaun Lauvao"?,  It gets really old after a while.  

So, I respect your opinion on that and I don't disagree myself. But, generally these stations talk about what draws numbers...

If Caps or Wiz talk interested more listeners, they'd figure out a way to do it. Period. This is a Redskin town and they have segments (Redskins at Eight and Redskins at Ten, as examples) because they know people will tune in for that. 

Your complaint, at a high level, is probably more toward our fans or the other teams for not doing enough to capture a deeper interest over the past 25 years. 

12 hours ago, spjunkies said:

YESSSSSS!!!! when Grant was a beat guy he seemed pretty likeable, but nowadays when he's not acting like he knows more than coaches and players he has to let us know which athletes he's texting with and how much access he has to events.

The dude is extremely arrogant.

I only listen because I like Danny, I understand that's an unpopular opinion :)

I cannot stand Grant Paulsen. I'll admit, he knows a decent amount of sports for a fan, but his overall personality grates my nerves. I think he's far too opinionated and he also changes his stance a lot. "The Nats should sell! As I've said, the Nats were right to keep Bryce!" What???

Also, and this is an extremely immature take that I admit shouldn't factor in at all, but his face is so punchable to me for some reason. 106.7 certainly has a type...the chubby and douchey loudmouths. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I cannot stand Grant Paulsen

Add his and Danny Rohiuer's fan policing. I saw Paulsen at a Nats game, in full Redskins gear, flipping through some papers, not paying a lick of attention to the game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont wanna listen to any of these people they're rotating in on 980.  After Galdi and before Czabe, I have no interest in the shows in between now.

I'm with you...I don't care about Knoche and Koken. They are perfectly fine, but I think the issue is that they feel more like guests for one or two segments to do a deep dive into hockey or baskeball...they can't carry a show. 

They may need to air a nationally syndicated show in the early morning and then let Galdi and Sheehan cover 4-6 hours after that (separately, I guess). It's also bad timing for this because it's the worst time of year for even good radio hosts. If they shook things up in November, something tells me it would be easier to listen too because we'd care much more about the content and less about the nuances. 

• Like 3

I would listen to Smoot regularly.  He's just entertaining and hilarious for the most part.  Maybe I'd get annoyed of his schtick quickly I'm not sure, but so far I have been liking what I hear about him.  JP Finlay and him were pretty good today.  The Nats were on 1067 and I'd rather listen to pain dry so I was stuck checking out 980.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm with you...I don't care about Knoche and Koken. They are perfectly fine, but I think the issue is that they feel more like guests for one or two segments to do a deep dive into hockey or baskeball...they can't carry a show. 

They may need to air a nationally syndicated show in the early morning and then let Galdi and Sheehan cover 4-6 hours after that (separately, I guess). It's also bad timing for this because it's the worst time of year for even good radio hosts. If they shook things up in November, something tells me it would be easier to listen too because we'd care much more about the content and less about the nuances. 

I'm actually kinda enjoying Knocke and Koken, but I don't know if the two of them together should carry a show. They're just too redundant. I loved Koken with Smoot. Knoche is very good though and too underutilized by 980.

13 hours ago, purbeast said:

I would listen to Smoot regularly.  He's just entertaining and hilarious for the most part.  Maybe I'd get annoyed of his schtick quickly I'm not sure, but so far I have been liking what I hear about him.  JP Finlay and him were pretty good today.  The Nats were on 1067 and I'd rather listen to pain dry so I was stuck checking out 980.

You know, I like Smoot a lot too....but I do think THAT MUCH energy might become old. JP could be someone who does a good job...not sure. 

Smoot, of all the ex-Skins, is my favorite though. He's knowledgeable but not dry (at all!!). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm actually kinda enjoying Knocke and Koken, but I don't know if the two of them together should carry a show. They're just too redundant. I loved Koken with Smoot. Knoche is very good though and too underutilized by 980.

I think they are valuable, but I'm not sure either guy should be on the air for a 2-3 hour show. Again, maybe they could rotate in as the second guy for an hour to really drill into their areas of expertise? 

In some ways it's not that fair because they probably are to hockey/basketball what Sheehan or Galdi is to football/baseball. It's just the collective listening fan base cares much more about those sports. It's obvious when you hear some of the hosts I like discuss hockey, for example, that they are giving their perception and kind of learning on the fly. To me, that's perfectly acceptable because that's where I'm at with hockey. But I could see how that would irritate a big hockey fan. 

They do need to tailor the hosts to the sports that this town cares about. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think they are valuable, but I'm not sure either guy should be on the air for a 2-3 hour show. Again, maybe they could rotate in as the second guy for an hour to really drill into their areas of expertise? 

In some ways it's not that fair because they probably are to hockey/basketball what Sheehan or Galdi is to football/baseball. It's just the collective listening fan base cares much more about those sports. It's obvious when you hear some of the hosts I like discuss hockey, for example, that they are giving their perception and kind of learning on the fly. To me, that's perfectly acceptable because that's where I'm at with hockey. But I could see how that would irritate a big hockey fan. 

They do need to tailor the hosts to the sports that this town cares about. 

The thing is, all the hosts are more or less knowledgable about football. That's why I'd rather have someone like Koken who's also a hockey guru or Galdi who' also a baseball guru. I do like Sheehan though so I'm fine with him sticking around.

So I guess no more Cooley film breakdowns.  That's a shame.

51 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You know, I like Smoot a lot too....but I do think THAT MUCH energy might become old. JP could be someone who does a good job...not sure. 

Smoot, of all the ex-Skins, is my favorite though. He's knowledgeable but not dry (at all!!). 

A little Smoot goes a long way.  Smoot every single day these last few weeks has already gotten old for me.  He needs to be sprinkled in here and there, or be part of a 3 man team.  

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The thing is, all the hosts are more or less knowledgable about football. That's why I'd rather have someone like Koken who's also a hockey guru or Galdi who' also a baseball guru. I do like Sheehan though so I'm fine with him sticking around.

Eh...from what I've heard, guys like Koken and Knoche talk Redskins the way the others talk hockey. I don't like that. To me, the hosts have to be locked down on the Redskins. Also, Sheehan is pretty knowledgeable about basketball. Galdi's baseball acumen is critical because this is a town that cares about football, baseball, basketball, and hockey - in that order. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Eh...from what I've heard, guys like Koken and Knoche talk Redskins the way the others talk hockey. I don't like that. To me, the hosts have to be locked down on the Redskins. Also, Sheehan is pretty knowledgeable about basketball. Galdi's baseball acumen is critical because this is a town that cares about football, baseball, basketball, and hockey - in that order. 

I don't agree. I think they are fine on the Skins talk. We need hosts who can talk about more than just the Skins. Galdi does it well. Sheehan is ok with it. I think he inflates his understanding of some other sports when it's not needed.

17 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree with you regarding nationally syndicated programming in the morning.  They should just air Wingo & Golic until 10AM, and then have Galdi on from 10-1, and Sheehan from 1-3 or 4PM, and call it a day.  No one else they have on staff is interesting enough to get their own show, so just have two shows from 10AM-4PM, and that's it.  If you want to have Czabe from 4-7PM, then that's okay two.  Only Galdi, Sheehan & Czabe should have shows on that station, since they're the only interesting personalities.

Edited by samy316
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

I agree with you regarding nationally syndicated programming in the morning.  They should just air Wingo & Golic until 10AM, and then have Galdi on from 10-1, and Sheehan from 1-3 or 4PM, and call it a day.  No one else they have on staff is interesting enough to get their own show, so just have a two shows from 10AM-4PM, and that's it. 

That also gives them a 'deeper bench' if you will of rotating people in and out. They can almost have some seasonal co-hosts (Cooley and Smoot during football season, Koken at times during hockey season, Knoche during basketball season, etc.). 

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't agree. I think they are fine on the Skins talk. We need hosts who can talk about more than just the Skins. Galdi does it well. Sheehan is ok with it. I think he inflates his understanding of some other sports when it's not needed.

I only think that's necessary if anyone cares. The numbers don't lie...people tune in to hear mostly about the Redskins (that's why they run dumb Redskin polls in April) and then the Nats. The vast majority of listeners aren't tuning in to really dive into the Caps unless it's deep in the playoffs (which has happened once in two decades). You don't change your whole format around for that. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That also gives them a 'deeper bench' if you will of rotating people in and out. They can almost have some seasonal co-hosts (Cooley and Smoot during football season, Koken at times during hockey season, Knoche during basketball season, etc.). 

Exactly, just have two or three shows, and then have Cooley, Smoot or Koken fill in during holidays, or summer vacation.  I was going to say that this town really doesn't have the capacity for 2 stations.  This is primarily a football town, so we're not New York or Chicago, or Boston where we can have a deep roster of sports talk hosts that can talk intelligently about other sports.  We also suffer from football obsession more than any other large sports town.  Sports personalities in New York, Chicago & Boston can talk about the football team one minute, and then seamlessly transition into baseball and basketball without missing a step, and still keep the audience engaged.  We're really a 1.5 team town.  It's Redskins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nationals>>>>>>>>Wizards +Capitals.  We don't have the audience here in town to spend more than a few hours talking about the Nats/Caps/Wiz, without some yahoos complaining about "lack of Redskins talk" in the middle of June.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I only think that's necessary if anyone cares. The numbers don't lie...people tune in to hear mostly about the Redskins (that's why they run dumb Redskin polls in April) and then the Nats. The vast majority of listeners aren't tuning in to really dive into the Caps unless it's deep in the playoffs (which has happened once in two decades). You don't change your whole format around for that. 

If you've listened to Doc Walker for the past few decades. He isn't giving anything useful on the Skins. He's just talking about them in random terms that all mean being tough. 

You need people who are educated on the topics they are talking about, and can weave their opinion in there. If that's a former athlete...fine. But the issue is having the former athlete who doesn't do their homework before going on their air.

• Like 1

So the best options for morning radio in DC are

• A washed up talk show that talks gambling and Redskins while ignoring any other sport that goes on, most of the time

or

• A station without their best contributor although they still have Sheehan

Yeah. I don't listen to this crap on terrestrial anymore. I hop in my car and put in YKWD or LoS.

8 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Exactly, just have two or three shows, and then have Cooley, Smoot or Koken fill in during holidays, or summer vacation.  I was going to say that this town really doesn't have the capacity for 2 stations.  This is primarily a football town, so we're not New York or Chicago, or Boston where we can have a deep roster of sports talk hosts that can talk intelligently about other sports.  We also suffer from football obsession more than any other large sports town.  Sports personalities in New York, Chicago & Boston can talk about the football team one minute, and then seamlessly transition into baseball and basketball without missing a step, and still keep the audience engaged.  We're really a 1.5 team town.  It's Redskins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nationals>>>>>>>>Wizards +Capitals.  We don't have the audience here in town to spend more than a few hours talking about the Nats/Caps/Wiz, without some yahoos complaining about "lack of Redskins talk" in the middle of June.

1067 should have never changed to sports talk. I still don't understand why they did this.

8 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

If you've listened to Doc Walker for the past few decades. He isn't giving anything useful on the Skins. He's just talking about them in random terms that all mean being tough. 

You need people who are educated on the topics they are talking about, and can weave their opinion in there. If that's a former athlete...fine. But the issue is having the former athlete who doesn't do their homework before going on their air.

I'm not sure why Doc's inability to be coherent is relevant to this conversation. I agree he's useless. Mitchell is a little better, but not much. Cooley does the film breakdowns but is otherwise pretty useless. 

I don't like the ex-player model unless they actually bring something to the table. But that still doesn't change the fact that Redskin talk will dominate when it comes to what listeners want to hear. I'd prefer it be Redskin talk by people like Galdi and Sheehan rather than ex-players. But, very few people would tune in or listen intently to "Caps at 9" for 30 minutes unless a playoff series is going on. 

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure why Doc's inability to be coherent is relevant to this conversation. I agree he's useless. Mitchell is a little better, but not much. Cooley does the film breakdowns but is otherwise pretty useless. 

I don't like the ex-player model unless they actually bring something to the table. But that still doesn't change the fact that Redskin talk will dominate when it comes to what listeners want to hear. I'd prefer it be Redskin talk by people like Galdi and Sheehan rather than ex-players. But, very few people would tune in or listen intently to "Caps at 9" for 30 minutes unless a playoff series is going on. 

My point is that he's an example of trying to force feed listeners the same topics over and over. I also agree Mitchell is way better. Same with Smoot. 

Galdi on the Skins is good. 

Nobody is saying that you have to dedicate the same time slot daily to the Caps. But you can slowly increase the segments talking about other teams to build interest. It's a 2 way street there. The people who care about that stuff don't listen because its heavily Skins talk. They don't think it's worth their time. The Skins only fans might either tune out, or learn something about baseball or hockey if they stick with it.

Whatever they were doing, it didn't work because Snyder dumped the station. Doing the same thing isn't a smart move for a new owner.

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

My point is that he's an example of trying to force feed listeners the same topics over and over. I also agree Mitchell is way better. Same with Smoot. 

Galdi on the Skins is good. 

Nobody is saying that you have to dedicate the same time slot daily to the Caps. But you can slowly increase the segments talking about other teams to build interest. It's a 2 way street there. The people who care about that stuff don't listen because its heavily Skins talk. They don't think it's worth their time. The Skins only fans might either tune out, or learn something about baseball or hockey if they stick with it.

Whatever they were doing, it didn't work because Snyder dumped the station. Doing the same thing isn't a smart move for a new owner.

That seems like philanthropy to me. Why would a media outlet embark on a long-term campaign to slowly build interest in other sports? They'd lose interest in the short-term with an unlikely long-term outcome of winning other listeners back? 

I don't think 980 force-feeds anything...they simply talk about the topics that they realize most people care about. When the Caps were in the ECF and SCF, they replaced "Redskins at 8" with hockey talk. It was logical and they did it. They had guests on who could provide expertise while the regular hosts gave their impressions. I don't really see the need to do anything more drastic than that when one of the other two sports bubble up. 

On a given day, the vast majority of listeners in DC care about the Redskins (regardless of the calendar) and the Nationals (about 8 months out of the year). It's perfectly reasonable to cater to that and adjust, if needed, to the other things. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't think 980 force-feeds anything...they simply talk about the topics that they realize most people care about. 

We aren't going to agree here. I think the new ownership is going to mix it up a lot. We'll see.

I must be in the minority but literally every time I tune to 980 (and 1067) and hear Nationals talk, I instantly change the station.  I have absolutely zero interest in baseball.

If they are both talking about baseball I flip to music until it's something other than baseball.

• Thanks 1