Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT via CSNBayArea.com: Patrick Willis, Justin Smith retiring from 49ers

Boss_Hogg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/patrick-willis-justin-smith-retiring-from-49ers/

The San Francisco 49ers continue to see dramatic changes in a franchise only a year removed from three straight NFC title game appearances.

From coach Jim Harbaugh leaving (mutually or otherwise) to running back Frank Gore signing with the Eagles on Tuesday  to the unexpected departure of receiver Michael Crabtree to the possible loss of guard Mike Iupati, the exodus of talented players continue.

The next two dominoes to fall will be linebacker Patrick Willis and defensive lineman Justin Smith.

Has anyone seen a team implode like the 49ers?

Harbaugh jumped ship at the right time. 

I think part of the implosion was probably started with Harbaugh's departure.  I'm sure things were starting to head south, but him leaving just sped up the process.  Makes me wonder if the rumors of Kapernick being baited around are true.

• 2 months later...

If Palmers healthy, Zona is gonna be knee deep in that ass this year.

Pfft, please. A 35 year old Palmer coming of major knee surgery gives me no confidence. I'd think the Rams have a better shot at this point.

Pfft, please. A 35 year old Palmer coming of major knee surgery gives me no confidence. I'd think the Rams have a better shot at this point.

They were sitting pretty good when he went down. Then the wheels fell off. His game doesn't rely on him being mobile anyway.

They were sitting pretty good when he went down. Then the wheels fell off. His game doesn't rely on him being mobile anyway.

I don't buy this. All qbs have to be able to rely on their legs to get out of trouble and also to be able to properly throw a football. Just because he's not a scrambler or a sprinter or what have you , doesn't mean he's not going to have to rely on his legs. I hope for his sake I'm wrong, but I just can't imagine he'll be the same and defenses will pick on this fact.

I don't buy this.

When i say "His game doesn't rely on him being mobile" I mean to the extent of relying on athleticism-superior athleticism to properly play the position. He is a pocket passer. Not a runner. Not a dual threat. So him coming back from an ACL is not the same as someone like RG3, in terms of using supreme mobility to make plays. "Relying on his legs" for Palmer means buying maybe an extra second to get off a pass, not scrambling for a first down. If he's forced to run/scramble, that is a victory for the defense.

As long as he can plant, throw, and isn't worried about people near his knees on a dropback, he should be good to go.

As long as he can plant, throw, and isn't worried about people near his knees on a dropback, he should be good to go.

I hear ya man, I understand exactly what you're saying. I hope he can help the Cards compete. 

• 1 month later...

With their other losses this offseason, losing Aldon Smith for several games (again) this season won't help.

Aldon Smith booked in Santa Clara County Jail

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith served a nine-game suspension last year after running into legal trouble several times and it appears he may have more problems on that front.

Matt Keller of ABC7 in San Francisco reported that Smith was arrested by Santa Clara police on Thursday night and the Santa Clara County Jail’s website shows Aldon Jacarus Smith, which is Smith’s full name, was booked on Friday. It lists a bail of $26,000 for Smith, but offers no details about what led the police to take him into custody.

Click on the link for the full article

With their other losses this offseason, losing Aldon Smith for several games (again) this season won't help.

Aldon Smith booked in Santa Clara County Jail

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith served a nine-game suspension last year after running into legal trouble several times and it appears he may have more problems on that front.

Matt Keller of ABC7 in San Francisco reported that Smith was arrested by Santa Clara police on Thursday night and the Santa Clara County Jail’s website shows Aldon Jacarus Smith, which is Smith’s full name, was booked on Friday. It lists a bail of $26,000 for Smith, but offers no details about what led the police to take him into custody.

Click on the link for the full article

According to NFL Network, he was taken into custody for Hit-and Run, DUI, and vandalism.

Archived