Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles lose Jermey Maclin

Cliffmark1

Just so u know, here in philly, I'd say 70% of the fans are LOVING what chip is doing. I hear their philly sports radio all day and the callers are loving it.

Kiko Alonzo has been the steal of the offseason , that's what I heAr. Compared to Luke kuechly by a couple people I respect. They added the top corner ( defeating quickly the idea that "nobody will want to play for chip." Players don't play for coaches, they play for money"

Of course the eagle fans celebration so far is dependent upon them getting mariota, which is nothing short of 24/7 topic on sports radio here

Just so u know, here in philly, I'd say 70% of the fans are LOVING what chip is doing. I hear their philly sports radio all day and the callers are loving it.

Kiko Alonzo has been the steal of the offseason , that's what I heAr. Compared to Luke kuechly by a couple people I respect. They added the top corner ( defeating quickly the idea that "nobody will want to play for chip." Players don't play for coaches, they play for money"

Of course the eagle fans celebration so far is dependent upon them getting mariota, which is nothing short of 24/7 topic on sports radio here

that's interesting.  My eagles fan GF almost hit me when I told her about today's moves.

Fans are homers and not necessarily the brightest bulbs.

My buddy who is an Eagles fan is beside himself.  His basic refrain has been "this fire sale makes no sense.  Weren't we 10-6 the last two years?"

With Maclin gone, WR suddenly becomes a very big need.  Jordan Matthews had a very nice rookie season.  Cooper has had 1 solid (not great) year in a 5 year career.  He's a WR3 at best.  There isn't a proven receiver on the roster. 

Chip is going to awfully great lengths to try to prove he's the smartest guy in the room.  And maybe he is.  But you still need talent.  I don't care how good a coach you are, losing your best rb and your two best wrs in a 2-year span is a big hurdle for anyone to overcome.

I find that very hard to believe. They get rid of their 3 best players in two years and fans are OK with that? And Riley Cooper stays? I don't think so.

I also hear generally positive things about the moves where I'm at too.  I mean, it's of course a discussion that like many others will depend on the use of hindsight to see how they turn out, but I think I can see what's going on here. 

I think what Chip could be doing, and this is if the team stays more or less as is, with Foles at QB, is he's of the mindset that Foles can handle being your prototypical franchise QB, so is operating the offensive budget like one of these teams that have the star QBs like NE, GB, Denver, etc. They will pay for guys to a certain point, but aren't going to put money into a player if it means having cap issues due to having an expensive QB. Generally it looks like the top top talents end up stuck on lesser teams as a result, like Larry Fitzgerald or Megatron because NE or GB isn't going to pay them.   So, what I mean is ultimately, I think Chip is giving Foles a shot to be the franchise QB and is just operating the budget with the idea of pretending Foles is your 100 mil QB and therefore that's what his cap number would represent.  And of course, the same type of influence on the field as well.  I've always felt that Foles actually shows legitimate signs of being a franchise QB.  I feel like he understands concepts very well and as a result seems mentally tough and obviously gets the job done on the field through solid to very solid play.  So, even if they made 0 more moves and perhaps only drafted defense, the offense is set up with various size or speed mismatch type pieces and then just solid performers.  They are slightly weak at WR now on paper but Jordan Matthews in his own right showed some serious ability and will probably perform better than most are guessing.  

By giving Foles this transition Kelly can then begin to emphasize his defense, which he's already started. 

So, as a result, I think unless they still make a trade for Mariota which also sort of fits with unloading top money talent while he's young and not good enough to compete for a SB, that's Kelly's plan for the offense and defense.  It means that he could be altering his offensive system at least when you're dealing with the "speed up" stuff.  I could see him scaling that stuff back a bit since there really are times it works against their team and with a team that looks on paper to be even slower it might just make sense to alter his own nuances.

So, if Kelly has confidence in Foles like that, he's really just getting ahead of the game from a teambuilding perspective by getting to focus on the defense sooner since the offense will perform to at least a level Kelly is comfortable with just by the fact that Foles is the QB and whatever talent is there. That type of thinking. Meaning, Kelly could look really smart after the next season or he will look like a complete dud. 

Not so sure about that. "Chip Kelly racist" has been trending on twitter. In fact, Stephen A Smith basically implied that Kelly is a racist on his TV program.

Kelly isn't racist, what a bull **** accusation. Chip is just very confident in his system and believes he can plug in anyone at the WR and RB positions and produce. 

However the Byron Maxwell mega contract signing is a baffling. He's getting a lot of money for only having 82 tackles and 6 INts in four seasons. Eagles will learn soon enough that Maxwell benefited from an amazing defensive system with amazing teammates. 

The Eagles were dumb to give this guy full control after his team collapsed from a 9-3 record in 2014. 

" Players don't play for coaches, they play for money"

Devin McCourty would like a word

I find that very hard to believe. They get rid of their 3 best players in two years and fans are OK with that? And Riley Cooper stays? I don't think so.

seriously. 

subtract jackson, maclin, and mccoy. keep (overpay) a terrible cooper. overpay a 32 year old gore. and keep sanchez at 2 years 16 mil per, just because. 

sounds like a formula for success. 

well, not everyone of course, some are very mad.  but the majority is praying at the church of Chip here in Philly.  Again, this is all based on them getting Mariota, too.  Because if they come back with Foles as their QB, I think more people will be upset.  They all want Chip to have HIS guy - Mariota.

Call Chip what you want but the big picture is this:

1) He believes his offensive system will win regardless of who the players are, as long as he has his QB.  (kind of like his friend up in New england.)

2) He's going to take the majority of his salary cap and spend it on defensive players.  he believes he can win with whoever he has on offense and then go out and get the best defense he can get.  (kind of like his friend up in new england)

3) their best WR left is not Riley Cooper, its Jordan Matthews.  And of course, they're not done adding

Devin McCourty would like a word

what does that even mean?  Is McCourty playing for free or something?   Byron Maxwell wants a word...

3) their best WR left is not Riley Cooper, its Jordan Matthews.  And of course, they're not done adding

Agreed.  But that's a terrible position to be in.  Going into this season Matthews is at best a good but not great wr2.  Maybe he'll outplay that this year.  Or maybe he'll struggle against better corners. 

But who's their other starting wr going to be? 

Today, it's either Cooper, who sucks, or they hope that rookie from Oregon develops into a starter.  Can't remember his name.  And there's very little depth.  Right now you're talking about a receiving corps that is easily bottom 1/3 in the league.  So they either have to spend some of that money that they were going to pay Maclin on someone else, and hope they fit in as well as he did, or use one of their highest draft picks on a wr, and hope the kid comes in blazing and doesn't need much time to develop.

Also let's not forget how much the threat of McCoy opened up the passing game.  Put a less dynamic rb on the field that defenses don't have to respect as much, and who isn't as dangerous in the screen game, and it makes it that much more difficult on the qb and wrs.

I was in Philly this weekend and was talking to some hardcore fans about it.  95% of the Eagle fanbase had to google who Kiko Alonso was because they never even heard of him.  Once they found out and read a paragraph about him "the trade was the best thing since sliced bread".  I get it too, what are they suppose to say, the trade is a done deal and they can't do anything about it except support Chip.  Byron Maxwell will be the biggest bust in FAgency this year being a product of the system.  He's nothing without Kam/Thomas roaming center field.  This will be a great season to watch the organization implode.  They will win games and probably the division, but that team won't be able to compete with teams like Seattle and the Pack.

Agreed.  But that's a terrible position to be in.  Going into this season Matthews is at best a good but not great wr2.  Maybe he'll outplay that this year.  Or maybe he'll struggle against better corners.

But who's their other starting wr going to be? Today, it's either Cooper, who sucks, or they hope that rookie from Oregon develops into a starter.  Can't remember his name.  And there's very little depth. 

Josh huff is the guy you're thinking about. But it's march 9. Not August 9th. They could bring in Andre Johnson or other people. The point is if you believe in chip kelly (and I do, I fear him because he's on the opposition but I do think he's great at what he does) he can plug in AnYBOdY with his system.

Desean jackson puts up monster numbers in the one season with chip. They cut him, then Jeremy mackin takes his place for once and also puts up monster numbers. They'll bring in anybody and probably score a bunch of points. They weren't going to give maclin 11 million dollars.

Do the patriots have great receivers, do the seawhawks? No and no. Kelly believes once he has his QB, it won't matter who the skilled players are, just like in New England.

I was in Philly this weekend and was talking to some hardcore fans about it.  95% of the Eagle fanbase had to google who Kiko Alonso was because they never even heard of him.  Once they found out and read a paragraph about him "the trade was the best thing since sliced bread".  I get it too, what are they suppose to say, the trade is a done deal and they can't do anything about it except support Chip.  Byron Maxwell will be the biggest bust in FAgency this year being a product of the system.  He's nothing without Kam/Thomas roaming center field.  This will be a great season to watch the organization implode.  They will win games and probably the division, but that team won't be able to compete with teams like Seattle and the Pack.

You can't give me they will probably win the division and the organization will implode. Don't play both sides of the fence. Crazy statements.

Josh huff is the guy you're thinking about. But it's march 9. Not August 9th. They could bring in Andre Johnson or other people. The point is if you believe in chip kelly (and I do, I fear him because he's on the opposition but I do think he's great at what he does) he can plug in AnYBOdY with his system.

Desean jackson puts up monster numbers in the one season with chip. They cut him, then Jeremy mackin takes his place for once and also puts up monster numbers. They'll bring in anybody and probably score a bunch of points. They weren't going to give maclin 11 million dollars.

saul, do you (or excel or pointyfootball, etc) realize the offense wasnt as good this year compared to last? (i contend jackson had alot to do with that, and i wish i could find the stat about mccoys production with and without jackson on the field when both were in philly).

i keep seeing  "the O didnt miss a beat, just look at maclins production, we still won 10 games", etc.

do you take issue with that? or are you saying they werent as good, but its due to injury or something along those lines?

saul, do you (or excel or pointyfootball, etc) realize the offense wasnt as good this year compared to last? (i contend jackson had alot to do with that, and i wish i could find the stat about mccoys production with and without jackson on the field when both were in philly).

i keep seeing  "the O didnt miss a beat, just look at maclins production, we still won 10 games", etc.

do you take issue with that? or are you saying they werent as good, but its due to injury or something along those lines?

Another problem with their argument is that both Jackson and Maclin were considered very good receivers. Its not like they were nobodies until Kelly came along. So saying Jackson had a good year and then Maclin had a good year after Jackson left doesnt mean that Cooper or Matthews will all of the sudden be worthy number 1 receivers. I think most people felt like Maclin before his injury could be a number 1 receiver.

You can't give me they will probably win the division and the organization will implode. Don't play both sides of the fence. Crazy statements.

Sure I can.  Are the Redskins going to be competing for the division this year?  I highly doubt it.  The Giants?  I'm not certain of that either.  I doubt the Cowboys can repeat that season again if they lose Murray.  The NFC East is the old NFC West.  Stinks.

Do the patriots have great receivers, do the seawhawks? No and no. Kelly believes once he has his QB, it won't matter who the skilled players are, just like in New England.

You keep on throwing out NE/Belicheck as if that's an easy thing to replicate.  I have respect for Kelly's system, but not that much respect.  Not yet. 

Could he do similar things if Mariota/Foles/Whoever turns out to be a HOF-caliber qb?  I don't see why not.  But if the QB they get is a run-of-the-mill franchise qb, that changes everything.  I understand that Kelly may think he can win on offense with a system qb and average wrs and average rbs, but that's not a reasonable thing to believe.  No system is that good.  Including Belicheck's. 

Sea also not a reasonable comparison.  Yeah, their wrs aren't great.  They also have the best defense in a generation, arguably the best rb in the nfl, and a run-centric offense built to play from ahead, which they often are because of that defense.

But we all (myself included) should remember, it wasn't the Eagles choice to let Maclin go.  They didn't just kick him to the curb like they did DJax.  They made a big push to try to re-sign him, but lost to a team that probably overpaid a little.  Maybe Chip isn't QUITE as arrogant as we thought...but he still needs a receiver.  Badly.  And the pickings are slim.  Rumor is they're chasing Crabtree.

I think Saul Goodman is another Oregon Ducks Fan type of poster.

Last year it was "Oh we don't need Desean Jackson because Jeremy Maclin is a better all around WR." Now after Chipper lets Maclin go it's "well thats okay Maclin isn't really that good."

I think Chip will find out the hard way that you do still need talent to win in this league. Yeah the Pats may not have great WRs but Edelman is pretty good and Gronk is a stud TE. Also they have some guy named Brady at QB who's going to the HOF. Wake me up when Foles becomes Brady.

I think its more evidence of coaching like a college coach.  In college, the system makes the players, as players cycle in and out, most dont start more than 2 years.  As a coach you believe you can plug and play anybody in and coach them up and have success.

Its one of the reasons many college coaches fail in the NFL, they treat it the same way.  They fail to realize just how much talent other teams have, and how important that talent is.  

I think its more evidence of coaching like a college coach.  In college, the system makes the players, as players cycle in and out, most dont start more than 2 years.  As a coach you believe you can plug and play anybody in and coach them up and have success.

Its one of the reasons many college coaches fail in the NFL, they treat it the same way.  They fail to realize just how much talent other teams have, and how important that talent is.  

The thing is in College, Chipper had the best athletes most of the time. That Nike money allowed him to recruit speed on top of speed.

Then of course when Oregon went up against an SEC team in Aubrun the offense got stonewalled.

Same thing last year. Eagles offense pretty much didn't do jack against the likes of the Niners and Hawks, etc. But congrats on putting up big #s against the Jagwires and Redskins.

I think its more evidence of coaching like a college coach. In college, the system makes the players, as players cycle in and out, most dont start more than 2 years. As a coach you believe you can plug and play anybody in and coach them up and have success.

Its one of the reasons many college coaches fail in the NFL, they treat it the same way. They fail to realize just how much talent other teams have, and how important that talent is.

Spurrier had the same arrogance.

Archived