Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alien: Covenant Trailer 1st post

steveo21

On 3/1/2017 at 8:05 PM, youngchew said:

Thanks for mentioning this, makes me feel a lot better lol

Most of those reviews are done in places like Vegas and such...so they can get some free stuff. 

Nah, I will watch this a few months after release. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Most of those reviews are done in places like Vegas and such...so they can get some free stuff. 

Nah, I will watch this a few months after release. 

Can't wait, I'll get my May 10th precious next Wednesday

• Like 1

Ridley Scott Brushes Off Blomkamp Film - Screengeek

"I think [Blomkamp’s film] will never see the light… There was never a scenario, just an idea that evolved into a pitch of ten pages. I had to participate as a producer but it did not go any further because [20th Century] Fox decided that [they] did not want to do it. I had already done Prometheus and worked on Covenant.”

I'm done with this washed-up clown. Blomkamp was already pushing his concept art, loose plot, and contacting actors the exact same time as Scott. Only then did Scott shove him out.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 2

‘Alien: Covenant’ Will Get Back to the ‘Alien’ Roots You Wanted to See in ‘Prometheus’

" So we’ve reinvented the idea of Alien, I think, which is that Covenant gets us a step closer to who and why was this thing designed to make human beings. And if you think it’s them [the Engineers], you’re dead wrong."

Ridley Scott promises a return to Alien-style horror in Alien: Covenant

"You've got to assume to a certain extent success and from that you'd better be ready," he says. "You don't want a two-year gap. So I'll be ready to go again next year."

:744::taz:

I saw the movie today, first of all I was pleased there was no 3D. Then the protean monster is beautiful, the best of them all, his birth, his shape, his movements.

This movie DNA clearly comes from Alien, Prometheus and Blade Runner, the screenplay is brilliant. If you're familiar with arts (paintings, sculpting) pay attention to the first minutes of the movie it will give you a hint about Scott's thinking about creation. There are also references to the myth of Frankenstein later on in the movie through Mary Shelley (Prometheus) and Lord Byron.

Shooting the movie in NZ was a very good idea, it just adds another layer of lugubrious heavy atmosphere.

Fassbender delivers another great performance following Prometheus.

I give it a solid A, will I watch it again ?, I will, in a heart beat. 

The only disapointment in the movie is the average performance of Katherine Waterston, she's definitely no Sigourney Weaver nor Charlize Theron. She's an ersatz of Ellen Ripley imo. There were a few attempts at spoiling the movie over the net, but believe me you'll be surprised until the last minutes.

Last but not least, no, androids don't dream of electric sheeps.

Enjoy this great movie.

On 8/5/2017 at 4:54 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

Still not feeling it

You will, believe me ;)
Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it.  Without revealing too much, my basic review is a "meh".   Alot of recycled plot devices/themes from previous installments, without really adding anything unique to the series.   I would have rather waited for the $4 instant video rental, than shelling out the $14 in the theaters. 

• Like 2

I saw the movie and liked it a lot.  However, I tend to enjoy the lore and easter eggs etc.. when it comes to movies and video games.  I thought this movie did a great job tying together Prometheus and Alien.  I personally don't know if someone would like it if they were not already fans of the other movies.  

• Like 1

I mean...it was okay.  I didn't think it was "magical," but none of the Alien movies have been since Aliens.  

I loved the main character, she was great.  Fassbener was great as usual.  McBride was the "Idris Elba" of Covenant but he didn't fit nearly as well.

Spoiler

Kinda disappointed that they basically took a giant crap on the Shaw storyline "I want to go where they came from." 

This movie didn't move the overall story of the engineers along very much, do we know if the next installment will cover that more?

Why did David destroy all the people on that planet?  Because "rawr, I'm a robot and you mortal beings are lesser than?"  Kinda weak, IMO.  He sure won in the end, though.  A whole ship full of embryos.  I knew that's how the movie was going to end when they showed us how interested David was when the captain told him they were a colony ship and had 2,000 souls on board.  

Except Idris Elba is a great actor. Seriously everytime McBride was on screen you were waiting for the gag or goof that never came. It wasn't really anything he was doing or not doing, it's just him. The quality of the movie felt like it took a nosedive everytime he was up. And again, i love Danny McBride and he's semi-local so I'll always root for him. But he is what he is. And that ain't it. 

Spoiler

I thought David's whole thing is being better than his creators and thus using them to raise his own creation. 

• Like 2

Since Scott decided to cut off the scenes from the trailer the crossing I believe we're going to have a director's cut available in BR.

5 hours ago, youngchew said:

I mean...it was okay.  I didn't think it was "magical," but none of the Alien movies have been since Aliens.  

I loved the main character, she was great.  Fassbener was great as usual.  McBride was the "Idris Elba" of Covenant but he didn't fit nearly as well.

Spoiler

I believe David became like it's creator, the one he didn't want to be too close too in Prometheus. He developped feelings and moreover the capacity of creation. I think he wants to destroy to achieve his ultimate goal of creation, and become a God.

God is an android created by mankind in his own image.

I remember Scott was interviewed about Kingdom of Heaven and he said that he is an agnostic having doubts about religion.

Now David is going to take on the other engineers' planet, maybe the one which hosts the warriors or the priests/scientists seen in Prometheus under the flying saucer type engineer's vessel.

I guess David impregnated Shaw using a facehugger while she was in a cryo tube. Then she delivered a big nasty queen momma which layed the eggs. I would have liked to see the prologue scenes in the movie.

Alien Covenant: The Art Lesson by Ridley Scott

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1