Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 2/25/2017 at 8:09 AM, GoSkinsGo said:

Not sure what's going on.  For some reason, after  I logged on and hit "reply" to thread, and it decided to quote "GoSKinsGo" on a post that I had already quoted, and posted earlier, hence the reason for the weird, blank reply, above.

Anyway....I'm smoking a Prime Rib tonight! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not sure what's going on.  For some reason, after  I logged on and hit "reply" to thread, and it decided to quote "GoSKinsGo" on a post that I had already quoted, and posted earlier, hence the reason for the weird, blank reply, above.

Anyway....I'm smoking a Prime Rib tonight! 

20170226_182913.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, China said:

Of course, they always have brisket on sale near St. Patrick's day, so people can make corned beef.

Not Costco, and not that cheap.  That's pretty much the only place that we shop for non-deli meats, and I check prices regularly. There's no way that they mark  them down like that,  as it's a regularly stocked item.

These were mixed in with the regularly priced briskets, all with the same expiration dates.  You may be, partially correct. They sell corned beef too. I think that someone was supposed to mark down  the corned beef brisket, and screwed up.

• Like 1

You were definitely lucky!

Safeway, and just a regular brisket, marked down 30% after being marked down for the holiday. Paid $6.23. Not spiced with corned beef spices, so I bought some. It's going in the slow cooker tomorrow.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

You were definitely lucky!

Safeway, and just a regular brisket, marked down 30% after being marked down for the holiday. Paid $6.23. Not spiced with corned beef spices, so I bought some. It's going in the slow cooker tomorrow.

Durn tootin'!

I tossed them in the freezer. I wanted to smoke one, tomorrow, but Mrs Skinfan is craving ribs. Works for me!

• Like 1

I finally, finally upgraded my smoker. Old one was just a small masterbuilt electric smoker. Easy to use obviously but missing some authenticity. And it was pretty small, so briskets didn't really fit well in it. Considered a Traeger but they were fairly pricey for the size I wanted (about $1000) and the lack of authenticity was there too. Considered an offset smoker but there is  a wide discrepancy between the $400 ones from Home Depot that are apparently miserably cheap quality and the legit ones that run $2k+. 

Settled on a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain. They are supposedly fairly easy to maintain temp on, pretty well made, and only run $400. Looking forward to firing it up this weekend. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Great price on those briskets!!  Anyone know where to get the whole brisket that's not an arm and a leg??  Would love to try to smoke one with the point and the flat to try some burnt ends.  

Where do you live?

When I lived in NoVA I went to Wilsons Farm Meats in Catlett. Bit of a hike but had a selection that couldn't be beat. Those briskets usually ran around $70-80 for a 15lber. I'm in central VA now and go to F&L Market in Lynchburg. Same size briskets are usually about $45-50.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

25 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Where do you live?

When I lived in NoVA I went to Wilsons Farm Meats in Catlett. Bit of a hike but had a selection that couldn't be beat. Those briskets usually ran around $70-80 for a 15lber. I'm in central VA now and go to F&L Market in Lynchburg. Same size briskets are usually about $45-50.

We used to go there (Wilsons Meats) ALL the time whe I was a kid.  There was an old German guy that was always there.  We loved the ribeyes they had.  When he got to old and was not around anymore it seemed to go downhill some quality wise.  It's probabaly been 10 or 15 years or more since I have been there.  Has the quality picked back up????

Edited by HOF44

13 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

We used to go there (Wilsons Meats) ALL the time whe I was a kid.  There was an old German guy that was always there.  We loved the ribeyes they had.  When he got to old and was not around anymore it seemed to go downhill some quality wise.  It's probabaly been 10 or 15 years or more since I have been there.  Has the quality picked back up????

Yeah I've only been in the past couple years but have nothing but good things to say, other than they are definitely a little on the pricier end.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Great price on those briskets!!  Anyone know where to get the whole brisket that's not an arm and a leg??  Would love to try to smoke one with the point and the flat to try some burnt ends.  

Believe it or not?   Wal-Mart.  

The one in Glen Burnie, off of Ordinance Rd., has a nice selection of whole packers for $3.49lb.  They are  those "Excel" brand cryovac packs and the grade is choice.    There is nothing wrong with a choice cut of brisket.  That's the only grade of brisket that I've ever smoked, and I make damn good brisket.   I save my Prime $$$ for better cuts of beef.  

One of the basic tenets of long, slow smokes, is taking an inexpensive, tougher cut of meat, and making it tender.   If you can't make a tender brisket, from a Choice cut, then it's not likely that your results will be any better with Prime.

Avoid "Select" grade at all costs.  It flat out sucks, there's not enough marbling.         When picking out a whole packer, make sure that it has decent marbing, and a good fat cap, and there's some "flex" to it.  If it's stiff as a board, don't buy it.   

Edited by Skinsfan1311

14 hours ago, DM72 said:

Does anybody watch Pitmasters and BBQ Pit Wars on Destination?

You get great tips on BBQ.

I actually know Moe Cason, Carey Bringle, and Mike Mills, along with some other bigtime pitmasters. We work on the board of the Kentucky State BBQ Fest in Danville, Kentucky. 

Moe smoking a Partagas from my humidor.

32827078793_b64d6a1598_b.jpg

Moe with my son

33600297686_3a015930a5_b.jpg

Mike Mills and fam

33640683855_e9869df368_b.jpg

The pitcrew I work with.

33511711601_531e6b4078_z.jpg

• Like 5