Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Mail: Inside the outrageous world of child cage fighting in the USA

Boss_Hogg

Sigh. It is real,and more than likely spurred on in many instances by the same motivation as other sports. The living vicariously through the kids and the hope/expectation the kid will make millions and be famous when their older. I'm not a fan of this one at all. 

How is this any worse, physically, than football?

As near as I can tell because the hitting is the goal as opposed to being merely the method to achieve the goal of tackling/jamming out a ball/etc. In either case you're still encouraging and applauding one child striking another.

1) This is definitely weird.  Back when I did martial arts, I was often a stand-in to let the better kids "spar" because I could take a hit if they hadn't mastered their control.  Mostly it was in good fun and they learned a few things, but there was one 12-year-old whose dad was just way too into it.  I wouldn't really do much to a kid unless he was very obviously doing something very wrong and I'd throw the simplest kick I could to call him on it.  I definitely wasn't taking advantage of my height or using any combinations he couldn't defend.  This kid's dad was all over him every time this happened.  It was awkward.  This is about 10x weirder.

2) I don't think this is like youth football at all.  In youth football you practice with a team, work towards common goals and make those goals happen, and coaches are trained specifically on ways to avoid serious injuries (i.e. "hit what you see").  This is the complete opposite.  You're teaching 7-year-olds how to choke people out and break arms.

3) I hate being judgmental but look at most of the adults in the pictures.  They look like they might be the types of relive their own glory (or lack thereof).  It's almost like the male version of the pageant mom. The article even starts going there.

4) I don't buy the 3 million number.  Theres only like 70 million people under 18 in the US.  If there are really 3 million kids doing this, that's ~1 in every 25 kids.  You'd know someone who is enrolling their kid in this. If I decide to be sexist and assume that 3 million is almost all boys, now you're looking at ~1 in 12 boys involved in this.

I confess that I don't know much about this sport, where children are concerned.   This article doesn't really provide much insight into what actually happens either. 

I am hesitant to condemn it out of hand.  I guess I'll wait to understand it a little better. 

Where exactly should the line be drawn, though?

I think that's a fair question.  If I had a 7-year-old kid I definitely wouldn't want him (or his classmates), learning how to break arms and choke people out.  More traditional martial arts don't really focus on those things, but the whole point of MMA is to get the other person into submission, and I think that's what's weird about it.  Most martial arts tournaments focus on control/placement/etc, but MMA by its nature can't do that.  I don't dislike MMA, but I don't think it's for 7-year-olds.

Uh huh 

LOL, nice  :D

I confess that I don't know much about this sport, where children are concerned.   This article doesn't really provide much insight into what actually happens either. 

I am hesitant to condemn it out of hand.  I guess I'll wait to understand it a little better. 

Also a fair argument.  In rethinking the article and that fact its the Daily Mail, there's definitely a "weird Americans being weird" vibe to it that I didn't consider.

I think that's a fair question. If I had a 7-year-old kid I definitely wouldn't want him (or his classmates), learning how to break arms and choke people out. More traditional martial arts don't really focus on those things, but the whole point of MMA is to get the other person into submission, and I think that's what's weird about it. Most martial arts tournaments focus on control/placement/etc, but MMA by its nature can't do that. I don't dislike MMA, but I don't think it's for 7-year-olds.

I've never thought if it like that. I've always seen the submission route as less violent and more geared towards defense than striking arts. Does this freak you guys out?

OK OK 4 year olds doing anything is cute, maybe that's not fair. Here's a 10 year old girl dominating submitting boys by the dozen. (and please, refrain from crude comments these are 10 year olds)

That's all chokes and things that could break limbs done in a non-MMA setting. I don't have a problem with that, maybe I'm wrong. (I like to keep my confidence up by telling myself that I'm not wrong often, but I stay humble by refusing to believe it)

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with that—kids in choke holds.

I actually just got back from an Empowered Athletes/ProActive Coaching seminar so I'm all juiced up on what's proper in youth sports. Just because it's happening—4 year olds in Jui Jitsu—doesn't mean it should. 

A 4 year old doing a forward flex to submit (in essence to dislocate the elbow joint) yeah, not appropriate. a ten year old may have the will/volition to know what they are participating in but a four year old does not. 

I am not sure how I feel about it. Part of me wants to see either head gear or no strikes to the head. Child concussions are something to worry about. However, with that said, we do teach 5 year olds traditional boxing and wrestling. 

On a side note when are people going to stop romanticizing humanity and realize that we like blood sports? MMA? Boxing? Chicken fighting? Bull fighting? Horse fighting? Dog fighting? If it involves blood and fighting humanity likes it. Unfortunately its in our nature.

I am not sure how I feel about it. Part of me wants to see either head gear or no strikes to the head. Child concussions are something to worry about. However, with that said, we do teach 5 year olds traditional boxing and wrestling. 

On a side note when are people going to stop romanticizing humanity and realize that we like blood sports? MMA? Boxing? Chicken fighting? Bull fighting? Horse fighting? Dog fighting? If it involves blood and fighting humanity likes it. Unfortunately its in our nature.

I don't care for it

Guess I'm not human

I can't get behind putting MMA and Boxing on the same level as bull, dog, horse, and **** fighting.  MMA and boxing are sports people enjoy and get into with their eyes wide open.  Abusing animals horribly for the cheers of reprehensible crowds is not the same thing.  Prison guards forcing prisoners to fight eachother... that would be worse, obviously, but more along the same lines. 

I am not a fan of bloodsports either but most of humanity is. Sad but true. 

You like football?  The sport where massive incredibly fast athletes are told to smash into eachother so violently that they suffer life shattering amounts of brain damage and need to be injected full of pain killers just to make it through a 16 game season.  Coaches openly talk about needing guys that can play through the pain.... pain so severe the drugs aren't dulling it enough.  Think about that. 

What about the NHL?  Not only is the sport itself violent, the player hide serious injuries because the culture demands it, and it actually celebrates games being interrupted by fist fights!  

article-2487527-19316D0800000578-147_964

Steroids

Chicken fighting, horse firhgint, bull fighting, and dog fighting are reprehensible acts and are rightfully illegal 

Should also be noted that the article mentions girls are involved too in this Pakrat or whatever league

Listen, I've grown to appreciate MMA and I like watching the free games on FOX and I like watching Gina Carano and Rhonda Rousey

But having 6 or 7 year old girls wrestle each other is wrong 

it's NOT OKAY

Archived