Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Mail: Inside the outrageous world of child cage fighting in the USA

Boss_Hogg

Absolutely Revolting...

Inside the outrageous world of child cage fighting: Tiny boys who are trained to attack each other in America’s baby MMA arenas

It is the heat of battle between two MMA fighters hemmed inside an industrial metal cage. One kicks, punches and strangles his way to brutal victory. His opponent breaks down and cries tears for his mother.

But this is not an unusual end to another televised brawl between two fully grown brutes, this is kids's MMA, or Mixed Martial Arts, which is rapidly becoming one of the nation's fastest growing sports among children.

It is estimated that three million boys and girls, some as young as five-years-old launch themselves at each other weekly across the nation engaged in Pankration - some wearing no head protection and throwing punches boasting gloves little more than one-inch thick.

I see nothing wrong with martial arts such as Karate when used as a discipline and self-defense. This, this is almost ancient Sparta bad.

They even call it Pankraten which is the fighting style thr Spartans used. Crazy.

I can't imagine. I felt terrible sighting my son up for 6-8 year old football. I was fully prepared to let him quit but it turned out to be one of the most fun experiences for him. I was a nervous wreck though. I can't imagine making my son fight.

I laughed at loud when I saw the title and pictured some kind of little league MMA with kids in ridiculous amounts of padding. I mean, come on, the word "outrageous" was thrown in there! Surely this was all in fun.

That's not what this is at all. Holy **** somebody stop this.

IF a parent wanted to put their kid down the path of becoming an MMA fighter, there's absolutely nothing wrong with traditional martial arts, boxing, and wrestling—essentially the foundation for all this. Once they are adults and can sign up on their own, that's when they should get in the octagon. 

There's absolutely no reason a 6/7 year old needs to put another kid into a choke-hold or submission hold. 

I'm not reading the article, but my general thought is I have no problem with kids practicing martial arts, it's good for discipline, self-respect, etc.  I'd let my own kids train in whatever.  No way in hell they're getting in a cage though, that's ridiculous.

Youth football hurts indirectly. Are youth football players taught to land knockout blows? Form tackles still in vogue? Anyway, the pain is an indirect effect of getting the ball carrier on the ground.

Here, you're teaching them to knockout the opponent or inflict sufficient pain so they tap out. 

Further, a helmet is not just covering a player's pained expression—it's protective gear. It hurts, but not nearly as much as it would if they were not wearing one. 

It's hard for me to get upset here.   Are people more upset about this because...there's no helmet covering up the pained look on the kids' face?  I don't see how this is any different than youth football other than visibility.

i am absolutely no proponent of tackle football under the age of 10.  i still don't see the comparison here.  kids are tackling.  they are not punching, kicking, attempting to choke, maim or cause submission....at least not by design.

I started martial arts at a very young age and got my first degree black belt at 11. Today, I have my 3rd degree black belt and am a Sensei. Our school takes kids as young as 5.

I've never participated in, nor have I ever taken a child, to any tournament under the age of ten. And even then, those were martial art style tournaments where they sparred for points with proper equipment and contact to the head strictly prohibited. 

I have only participated in one MMA style bout where knockouts were legal. I enjoyed it very much, and would like to be a part of it again in some capacity. But I made that decision as an adolescent, and would make it again now as an adult. I would never take a child student to anything of the sort.

So they are trying to teach them mixed martial arts all at once and without much safety equipment? That seems needlessly dangerous and counter productive. Plus I question the wisdom of encouraging kids to injure each other under the pressure of a demanding coach or parent. That's an emotional load that kids aren't equipped to handle.

If they want to raise a MMA fighter they should be laying the foundation with a grappling martial art or wrestling and boxing or a striking martial art. These can be taught to children safely and with an emphasis on proper technique and fundamentals, which is really the goal of children participating in any athletic program.

Pictures don't look much different then PAL Boxing or Wrestling when I was a boy.  Seriously, I remember Boxing in the yard with my Brothers, cousins and neighbors.  

you rich folk probably even used gloves  :P

Archived