Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Official All 22 Coaches Film Thread - Nothing But All 22 Questions and Observations

gortiz

Pj7jh6q1m.gif

This could have been a TD to Djax but Colt was looking at Young the whole way.

Yeah, I would grade Colt down for this play.

My take...(good call from Grudes)

The safety picks up the FB in the flat right away.

Colt should come off that read and hit Garcon on the skinny post or like you mention hit DeSean on the backside post but he might need to hitch up/reset and that might throw the timing off.

But Garcon beat his man on this route (and Garcon hasn't been getting a ton of separation lately)

.....It's amazing, people don't even get this open in Madden, Haz got that special something.

I swear, if I was not crazy, I would say Ryan Clark is throwing games, I mean how can he guess so wrong on those deep balls. 

I keep forgetting about the ball Fleener dropped which would have the 7th score of over 30 yards and would have been a 52 YD TD. 

Of the 3 breakdowns in coverage SkinsInsite posted (thanks much btw) I don't put much blame on Clark at all but I guess it depends on what you think the coverage was in those circumstances.

I think the it was Cover 3 and put the blame on Amerson for those busts. On the first bust he got sucked inside on an inside vertical route and they snuck another vertical route behind him. The 2nd bust was on the Moncrief TD when he squats on the outside comeback instead of carrying the inside receiver (Moncreif) on the vertical route.

The other bust was from Phillip Thomas,who is basically a rookie known more as a SS/box guy then a FS, and he takes the cheese and doesn't maintain his deep 1/2 coverage.

-On the TD run Clark took a false step/s and simply got out ran to sideline.

Age comes for us all and father time has taken Clark's legs.

Here's the problem with grading film. Down and distance matters, what is okay on 1st down is different then 3rd down etc.

On 1st and 10 no coach is going to grade a QB down for hitting an open receiver within the design of the play. 'You never go broke taking a profit'

What they will grade a QB down for is turning down and open receiver within the design of the play in an attempt to hit a bigger play downfield. And that's what you are doing here.

Also, in the second image (i quote above) the ball is already in the air.

PS - In the first pic, if Garcon breaks the 1-on-1 tackle, he has at least another 10 yards before having a chance to beat 1 more guy in the open field.  That easy pass could have become a 30 yard gain if Garcon can beat 1 man.

great breakdown from Post on defense ... plays besides the big ones that Skins looked lost on. I think this guy's website is Redskins All 22

Entering the game against the Colts this past Sunday, the main Redskins story line was about quarterback Colt McCoy replacing Robert Griffin III. But by the end of the game, the Redskins’ defense stole the headlines. It was the worst I’ve seen the Redskins in coverage this season and perhaps further back than that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/12/03/heres-how-the-redskins-had-so-many-breakdowns-in-pass-coverage/

Here is a play call from Gruden that I liked even though the result was merely a 1 yard gain.
I like it because the call is a deviation from his tendencies.

Previously I complained that Jay doesn't call enough RB screens. And when he does call them its exclusively in 3rd and long.

But, against the Colts he broke this tendency:

1st Q-11:50 2nd-15

mT1eFWq9S.gif

I also like that this play because it gets to a RB screen while maintaining spread empty formation.

I still would like to see:

a. throw RB screens on traditional downs when they're not behind the sticks i.e. 1st-2nd downs 10 yards or less

b. if you do throw RB screen throw it to Helu instead of Morris but that requires to giving Helu carries on 1st and 2nd down to avoid developing a known tendency i.e. Helu=screen

RB QUICK ANGLE ROUTE FROM BACKFIELD    (Sorry no vid but we all saw it)                         

Another previous complaint in regards to Helu was lack of quick passes out of the backfield like a texas or china route.

Colt threw his TD pass on a HB choice (angle route like a texas/china) to Helu.

Here is a play call that I didn't like because it exposes a weakness in McCoy's game:

9lca4Dh1A.gif

3rd and long-DeSean gets open on a deep sideline out

If the throw hits him instride he has chance to run for the 1st down.

BUT asking Colt to make that throw which is from the far hash to the opposite sideline is asking for more arm then he has.

Maybe Kirk has the arm for that and Griffin certainly does but I don't like this call for Colt unless you sprint/roll/boot him in the direction of the throw.

It also looks like Roberts gets open on the corner/sail route but this throw also requires the ability to drive the ball into tight a window.

But between the sail route and the out route I think the sail route is the safer choice for Roberts.

I grade Colt down here on the decision and the throw.

Here is a play call from Gruden that I liked even though the result was merely a 1 yard gain.

I like it because the call is a deviation from his tendencies.

Previously I complained that Jay doesn't call enough RB screens. And when he does call them its exclusively in 3rd and long.

But, against the Colts he broke this tendency:

I also like that this play because it gets to a RB screen while maintaining spread empty formation.

I still would like to see:

a. throw RB screens on traditional downs when they're not behind the sticks i.e. 1st-2nd downs 10 yards or less

b. if you do throw RB screen throw it to Helu instead of Morris but that requires to giving Helu carries on 1st and 2nd down to avoid developing a known tendency i.e. Helu=screen

It's so hard to evaluate the Skins' coaching because the talent is so poor right now. I kind of like the idea behind that screen, but neither the RB nor the QB sold it all. The left tackle gives up a quick inside rush which is death to a screen. It gets read quickly, and the guard can't even get a hand on the lineman. The right guard does a good job getting downfield but the play is pretty much over by the time he can throw a block.

RB QUICK ANGLE ROUTE FROM BACKFIELD    (Sorry no vid but we all saw it)                         

Another previous complaint in regards to Helu was lack of quick passes out of the backfield like a texas or china route.

Colt threw his TD pass on a HB choice (angle route like a texas/china) to Helu.

Here is a play call that I didn't like because it exposes a weakness in McCoy's game:

3rd and long-DeSean gets open on a deep sideline out

If the throw hits him instride he has chance to run for the 1st down.

BUT asking Colt to make that throw which is from the far hash to the opposite sideline is asking for more arm then he has.

Maybe Kirk has the arm for that and Griffin certainly does but I don't like this call for Colt unless you sprint/roll/boot him in the direction of the throw.

That is a play that is begging to be a pick six. It really only works here because Jackson is Jakson. He runs a pretty good route that causes the dback to take an enourmous step back prior to the break. The ball floats forever.

wow the all 22 of our defense is just terrible.  from what i can see most of those are on safeties.  and amerson seems to have a serious problem in picking up guys that he isnt originally assigned to.  looks like he locks on to his first coverage assignment and no matter what stays with him, until he realizes the ball went to someone else.

that seems coachable to me (thank god) but hes gotta get better and recognizing that sort of thing.  part of me wonders why haslett doesnt focus on mostly man coverage because it seems like we get beat badly 90% of the time when were in zone.

wow the all 22 of our defense is just terrible.  from what i can see most of those are on safeties.  and amerson seems to have a serious problem in picking up guys that he isnt originally assigned to.  looks like he locks on to his first coverage assignment and no matter what stays with him, until he realizes the ball went to someone else.

that seems coachable to me (thank god) but hes gotta get better and recognizing that sort of thing.  part of me wonders why haslett doesnt focus on mostly man coverage because it seems like we get beat badly 90% of the time when were in zone.

Amerson is a bust imo.  Dude was a high draft pick, supposed to be a building block after the "dark days" of Josh Wilson and D-Hall.  Seems those were the prime days and now this is rockbottom.  

Opposing quarterbacks have a 135.2 passer rating when they target Amerson in coverage, the worst among the 73 corner backs participating in at least half their teams snaps. On Sunday against Indianapolis he was dreadful.  Colts receivers caught six of the seven targets for 183 yards and four touchdowns, the longest a 79-yard score by Donte Moncrief.

he was raw out of college too.  Classic case of Shanny prolly looked at the highlights and thought we could coach him up to that level.  When the coaching fails, you get this type of performance.

It is very clear that every OC will run 2 recievers at Amerson knowing he will have no clue which one to pick up and which one to let go.

On the first Fleener TD, I am fairly certain everyone knew it was a bad matchup from the start with Trent Murphy lining up over him (maybe he covered him on scout team at Stanford and had success?)

Murphy doesn't get a hand on him and Amerson for some unknown reason follows the WR into the endzone while completely vacating his zone. It is compeltey baffling that play occured as it did 

anohter good breakdown of all six sacks ... got to see this one in real time, but it's looks troubling based of screen shot

It's a mixed bag as far as fault goes, this one is on Colt apparently and it's pretty bad

IMG_2269.0.JPG

#6. The Colts bring a CB blitz from the short side of the field and the Redskins are running a Wolf Smash concept (out route and corner route) towards it.

IMG_2270.0.JPG

McCoy is reading that side of the field and when he sees the DB crash on the out route, he should throw the corner route now. Especially, considering he has a free DB blitzing towards his face

IMG_2271.0.JPG

McCoy panics and tries to run from Greg Toler while looking to the other side of the field. He could dump if off here but Toler gets to him too quick and causes another fumble. This time we recover but this one is on McCoy.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/12/5/7331069/hazards-huddle-sacked-six-times-vs-indianapolis-colts

gortiz-

I was gonna talk about sack #2 but it was dead in this thread I thought it had run it course....

V9KKqSwoW.gif

But I basically see it the way hh described it.

Colt could have pulled the trigger on the go-route to Garcon just lead him toward the sideline away from the S

He could have even thrown the backside seam route to Paul lined up at TE.

• 2 weeks later...

Things I'm look for-

Can we block the edge on the outside stretch? If we can't block the edge with Niles Paul/Jordan Reed then are use someone else.

Can we get more 2nd down run calls and more 1st down play-action?

Are we ever gonna have a run game focused on nickel/dime personnel instead of base?

If we boot can we block/chip the edge defender please?

Will we use the RB as receiver on 1st and 2nd downs instead of only on 3rd and long?

Are we gonna use more empty set? If so we should throw the hitch EVERY time a defender plays off.

Go

Things I'm look for-

Can we block the edge on the outside stretch? If we can't block the edge with Niles Paul/Jordan Reed then are use someone else.

Can we get more 2nd down run calls and more 1st down play-action?

Will we use the RB as receiver on 1st and 2nd downs instead of only on 3rd and long?

These are huge ... For what it is worth, Shaun O'hara said after watching film that are tight and blocking is atrocious and never ever sets the edge.

Never play action on first down it seems

Not using a running back early in downs as receivers burns me. Just watch Aaron Rodgers.

I'll add one, screens, especially on non typical downs.

Go

These are huge ... For what it is worth, Shaun O'hara said after watching film that are tight and blocking is atrocious and never ever sets the edge.

Paul at one point was an excellent blocker for a WR. Reed was considered a decent enough blocker for smallish TE he is, and with potential. The two of them were never going to be able to be a 2 TE set because neither of them could ever develop enough to be the strong blocking half of a TE tandem. But it shocks me how bad they both are at blocking right now. It's kind of embarrassing. And who was supposed to be coaching these guys up?

It's kind of embarrassing. And who was supposed to be coaching these guys up?

The blocking for everybody has sucked since game 1 and its all the same players. Gruden "obviously" didn't spend the time the Shanahans did on blocking this year since day 1 it's been much worse, especially in the running game.

The blocking for everybody has sucked since game 1 and its all the same players. Gruden "obviously" didn't spend the time the Shanahans did on blocking this year since day 1 it's been much worse, especially in the running game.

I mean I don't remember Helu being a big liability before, but he's turning into the Tyler Polumbus of RBs out there.

I mean I don't remember Helu being a big liability before, but he's turning into the Tyler Polumbus of RBs out there.

Helu has never been a good blocker, you may be thinking of Royster, who was the most complete RB we had.

I know some of you will be shocked by this, but some of the all 22 on Lauvao is disgusting. 

LG Shawn Lauvao in pass protection. Number 77. Gripped, pulled, beaten.

B48J5j1CMAEGlIC.jpg
B48J5itCUAATQAm.jpg
B48J5jXCEAASzw6.jpg
B48J5kZCIAAcBTG.jpg

Also it appears that Jamarca Sanford and Bacarri Rambo don't miss Jim Haslett and his defensive prowess at all.

Just another day in Ashburn.

Helu has never been a good blocker, you may be thinking of Royster, who was the most complete RB we had.

I know some of you will be shocked by this, but some of the all 22 on Lauvao is disgusting. 

LG Shawn Lauvao in pass protection. Number 77. Gripped, pulled, beaten.

Also it appears that Jamarca Sanford and Bacarri Rambo don't miss Jim Haslett and his defensive prowess at all.

Just another day in Ashburn.

man that, at least in those stills looks real bad. 

Archived