Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Official All 22 Coaches Film Thread - Nothing But All 22 Questions and Observations

gortiz

He didn't get the ball out quick vs the Bucs yeah. But historically he's good throwing quick even last year: Showed well on shorter drops (4-6 yards) at +2.6. (from PFF)

Think back to the 2013 Giants game where Griff was like 12/12 throwing mostly quick stuff.

Just wanted to close the loop on this thought.

4jwfHHuHh.gif

NTTnRyPt2.gif

0JIymxM6f.gif

mPIeq2fgR.gif

RG3's play in the 4th quarter is what bothered me the most. On the road, offense out of sync, late in the game, but you're still in it because your defense is playing lights out. He had several opportunities for big plays/scores and either missed them or didn't even look.

1st and 10 from our own 31.

RG3Q41307.png

PA, rolls to his right, throws to Garcon in the flat for a gain of 5. But he never looked anywhere else. He decided pre snap it was going to Garcon even though there was no blitz look and the PA sucked the defense to the other side of the field.

RG3Q413072.png

If he even glanced downfield he would have seen Roberts beat his man for what would have been a huge play.

RG3Q413073.png

On the next drive (after the fumble recovery) Griffin misses an easy TD pass.

2nd and 11 from the SF 37

RG3Q4921.png

Griffin hits the top of his drop, looks right at Jackson on the post and has Paul heading to the corner.

RG3Q49212.png

For some reason he abandons this read even though he has a great pocket with zero pressure, and throws to his check down. Paul beat his man and was wide open, and Jackson was open down the middle.

RG3Q49213.png

That does,not look like the same guy. Todays robert would not have the moxy to pump fake and throw to the other side of the field.

Yeah I guess its not the same guy different plays, gameplan and coaching. Heck its not even the same guy from 2 games ago, Griffin's best game under Gruden was in the Vikings game. The irony was the Vikings game came off a short week where teams keep the same gameplan from the previous game i.e. Dallas gameplan. Its all moot now though. Who would have thought the coming into the season that the future of our potential franchise QB would be decided in 21 quarters? So much for clean slate. Neither here nor there I could show missed throws from Colt in the Dallas game that would make you cringe but what's the point?

RG3's play in the 4th quarter is what bothered me the most. On the road, offense out of sync, late in the game, but you're still in it because your defense is playing lights out. He had several opportunities for big plays/scores and either missed them or didn't even look.

1st and 10 from our own 31.

PA, rolls to his right, throws to Garcon in the flat for a gain of 5. But he never looked anywhere else. He decided pre snap it was going to Garcon even though there was no blitz look and the PA sucked the defense to the other side of the field.

RG3Q413072.png

^^Ball is already out of Griffin's hand

If he even glanced downfield he would have seen Roberts beat his man for what would have been a huge play.

RG3Q413073.png

Here's the problem with grading film. Down and distance matters, what is okay on 1st down is different then 3rd down etc.

On 1st and 10 no coach is going to grade a QB down for hitting an open receiver within the design of the play. 'You never go broke taking a profit'

What they will grade a QB down for is turning down and open receiver within the design of the play in an attempt to hit a bigger play downfield. And that's what you are doing here.

Also, in the second image (i quote above) the ball is already in the air.

On the next drive (after the fumble recovery) Griffin misses an easy TD pass.

2nd and 11 from the SF 37

RG3Q4921.png

Griffin hits the top of his drop, looks right at Jackson on the post and has Paul heading to the corner.

RG3Q49212.png

For some reason he abandons this read even though he has a great pocket with zero pressure, and throws to his check down. Paul beat his man and was wide open, and Jackson was open down the middle.

Here imo you are making a similar mistake as in the previous play because Griffin makes a positive play.

I am not sure what coverage you think it is but I see 1 deep S on the hash marks and another on the opposite side numbers=2 deep. You are talking about some ~30+ yard throw down field to either option mean the S on the hash will close the ground to effect the play. Will he break it up or misplay it? But I don't know. But this is certainly not an 'easy TD' or even 'open' TD throw. It would be throw into double coverage. This is the same type of coverage where FS Reid breaks up a pass to DeSean but Griffin threw that pass Q1-9:10-3rd and 13 (if you have all-22 look it up for yourself don't take my word for it) But on 3rd-13 its justifiable to take a chance to DeSean in double coverage on 2nd and 11? Not so much.

Here's the problem with grading film. Down and distance matters, what is okay on 1st down is different then 3rd down etc.

On 1st and 10 no coach is going to grade a QB down for hitting an open receiver within the design of the play. 'You never go broke taking a profit'

What they will grade a QB down for is turning down and open receiver within the design of the play in an attempt to hit a bigger play downfield. And that's what you are doing here.

Also, in your second image the ball is already in the air.

Yes down and distance matter, so does the score, time remaining and at this point injuries. Down 3 on the road in the 4th quarter, and your secondary is dropping like flies so they may not be able to keep you in the game much longer. Am I criticizing him for taking a profit? Yes, but only because of the things I mentioned in my first sentence. I didn't do that at any other point during the game.

And the ball is not out yet in the second pic. That's during his wind up. The ball comes out between the 2nd and 3rd pics.

Here imo you are making a similar mistake as in the previous play because Griffin makes a positive play.

I am not sure what coverage you think it is but I see 1 deep S on the hash marks and another on the opposite side numbers=2 deep. You are talking about some ~30+ yard throw down field to either option mean the S on the hash will close the ground to effect the play. Will he break it up or misplay it? But I don't know. But this is certainly not an 'easy TD' or even 'open' TD throw. It would be throw into double coverage. This is the same type of coverage where FS Reid breaks up a pass to DeSean but Griffin threw that pass Q1-9:10-3rd and 13 (if you have all-22 look it up for yourself don't take my word for it) But on 3rd-13 its justifiable to take a chance to DeSean in double coverage on 2nd and 11? Not so much.

Another good point, but it also appears that either Paul or Jackson is his primary read on this play (can't tell which) Don't you think that ball should be thrown to Jackson down the middle? Paul I can see hesitating throwing it to. It's not like he's known for beating coverages. 

Also, this film is probably irrelevant now that Colt is starting. I posted it before I saw that news.

..And the ball is not out yet in the second pic. That's during his wind up. The ball comes out between the 2nd and 3rd pics.

My wording was unclear I was refering to the second image in my post.

..Another good point, but it also appears that either Paul or Jackson is his primary read on this play (can't tell which) Don't you think that ball should be thrown to Jackson down the middle? Paul I can see hesitating throwing it to. It's not like he's known for beating coverages.

I don't see a TD throw like you were saying. But I do see a ~20 yard completion to DeSean in the 1st window of the post route as soon as Griffin came off play-action.

Also, this film is probably irrelevant now that Colt is starting. I posted it before I saw that news.

Yeah, maybe so but this is one of the few places where we can actually talk about film. *shrugs* I hope this thread doesn't dry up.

good stuff by Mayock, different spin on the deep shot to Desean Darellgreenie ... I think you thought he could have gone ot the post, but Mayock is saying he made right read, but should have put the ball outside the numbers, I agree with you.  Post was open. 

https://screen.yahoo.com/washington-redskins/mayock-39-slant-good-bad-022809975.html

good stuff by Mayock, different spin on the deep shot to Desean Darellgreenie ... I think you thought he could have gone ot the post, but Mayock is saying he made right read, but should have put the ball outside the numbers, I agree with you.  Post was open. 

https://screen.yahoo.com/washington-redskins/mayock-39-slant-good-bad-022809975.html

Different play though.

cahones01 and I were talking about below where I think Jackson was open on the post early ball to be driven on rope into the first window before the MLB.

RG3Q49212.png

Mayock was talking the play early in the game when Griffin threw to DeSean. But I agree with you though the I would like the post thrown towards the far side numbers better then DeSean. Regardless of where you throw it though the FS Reid is gonna make a play on the ball because he's playing deep. At least if you throw the post towards the far side numbers you make the FS cover more ground. I agree with Mayock the best ball location for the throw would be towards the sideline to DeSean outside shoulder but Reid is still gonna get there imo and its a smaller window then throwing post away from the FS towards the opposite numbers to the open farside of the field.

With all that being said though I can see why Griffin might be attracted to the go-route because of the players running the routes DeSean has better ball skills deep then Garcon.

-my 2 cents

btw-neither here nor there but I don't like the sequence of that play-call. Griffin just muffed a snap. I would call something easy to get him settled and in rhythm before I dial long distance against that defense.*shrugs* just me though

Wheel routes through our zone defense is a goldmine.  If they can pick up our blitz, which happens 99% of the time, they can hit that route all day for big yards.  If we can see it, every offensive coach can see it.  

Qbs this year facing us have a combined 107 rating, dead last in the league. http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-average-team-passer-rating 

Its unreal how poorly ran this defense is, even though we're going on year 5 of hasbum

B33WPWlIgAAePsj.png

These defensive all 22s are embarrassing. 

We see this so much.

What's weird is in the preseason, since Haz has been here, we press and blitz and are successful.  Then in games when we press and blitz, we are successful - or at least MORE successful.

Then we go out and soften up and get torn in half.

No natural adjustments, just the same crap over and over.

Also, in the second image (i quote above) the ball is already in the air.

Agreed.  Looks like the play design is for the slot to run off for Garcon to get the ball quickly one on one.

That does,not look like the same guy. Todays robert would not have the moxy to pump fake and throw to the other side of the field.

So true.  None of those looked like the same guy.

I said it before, I think he's afraid to get hurt again, and he's looking at the rush, not the defense.  That's the only way to explain it.

This is not a defense of Haslett, because he's responsible for the defense. But it's not like he's calling D's where TEs and WRs run alone down the middle of the field. It's pretty clear in all those clips that our defensive backs are completely lost. Again, it's Haslett's job to make sure they know their assignments, but I guarantee that having three guys defend the flat while having no one defend the deep zone was not the intention on that first play.

That last one is absolutely ridiculous. The safeties are playing 2 deep and start the play 20 yards off the LOS. We have two defenders covering the out route....yet the safety decides to join the party and jumps the route. Meanwhile the post is uncovered.

(Actually watching that again, I think we had two complete breakdowns on that route. It looks like the two dbs on the line were supposed to pass the slot receiver off when he crossed. Instead they both stay with him. And then the safety abandons his zone and joins his friends on the best covered receiver in the NFL this weekend.

My takeaway is that we are hopeless on wheel routes but a rub route is pretty much a guaranteed TD against us right now).

So true.  None of those looked like the same guy.

I said it before, I think he's afraid to get hurt again, and he's looking at the rush, not the defense.  That's the only way to explain it.

If that is the case, and I really do think it is ... lost cause, or can he be fixed? 

I swear, if I was not crazy, I would say Ryan Clark is throwing games, I mean how can he guess so wrong on those deep balls. 

I keep forgetting about the ball Fleener dropped which would have the 7th score of over 30 yards and would have been a 52 YD TD. 

This is not a defense of Haslett, because he's responsible for the defense. But it's not like he's calling D's where TEs and WRs run alone down the middle of the field. It's pretty clear in all those clips that our defensive backs are completely lost. Again, it's Haslett's job to make sure they know their assignments, but I guarantee that having three guys defend the flat while having no one defend the deep zone was not the intention on that first play.

That last one is absolutely ridiculous. The safeties are playing 2 deep and start the play 20 yards off the LOS. We have two defenders covering the out route....yet the safety decides to join the party and jumps the route. Meanwhile the post is uncovered.

(Actually watching that again, I think we had two complete breakdowns on that route. It looks like the two dbs on the line were supposed to pass the slot receiver off when he crossed. Instead they both stay with him. And then the safety abandons his zone and joins his friends on the best covered receiver in the NFL this weekend.

My takeaway is that we are hopeless on wheel routes but a rub route is pretty much a guaranteed TD against us right now).

I think we can all agree that their is a serious lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. But coaches need to do something to get what they can out of this team. Having communication problems in Week 2 is understandable. Having them in Week 13 is not. The players are certainly to blame as well, but how is Haslett not recognizing the problem and doing something to fix it? Last Sunday was actually one of the few times we actually had most of the starting defense out there (think DHall was the only one missing) and we still couldn't communicate and diagnosis plays correctly.

Looking at Dallas, they were supposed to have one of the worst defenses of all-time coming into this season. Yet, they've been respectable most weeks. Why can't Haslett do something similar with what we have here?

Archived