Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biking thread....

mcsluggo

So do you shower when you get to work after riding a bike to work, or do you just rub deodorant all over your body and do a quick comb of the hair.

we have a gym (shower) in the basement of our building.  I absolutely HAVE to shower when i get in, my commute is 12-13 miles each way and i am DRENCHED when i arrive, in the summer particularly.

Oh, and the comb-over can take a really long time.   

• Like 1

I'm a bicycle commuter, I just started doing it in June of 2013. I wanted to try and drop a few pounds so I figured this would be a good way to do it. I initially planned on riding just 2 or 3 days a week but I enjoyed it so much that I started riding everyday I could. I started using the MapMyRide app in July 2013 and since that time I have traveled just over 1400 miles. I ride to work in the winter time as long as there is no snow and ice, I just make sure to bundle up real good. My bike is an old 1969 Schwinn Typhoon beach cruiser that I put a banana seat and apehangers on, so its not the quickest bike but I have tried to make it be. I used to ride as fast as I could into work and set a new personal best time, which I accomplished back in June. I covered 3.5 miles in 12:01, unfortunately for me a clipped my pedal on the ground during that ride but didn't really think much of it. The next day, my crank broke at the pedal eye causing my to face plant the asphalt and bust up some teeth. It took me about 3 weeks to get some parts together and fix my bike, but I've been back on it ever since, albeit at a much slower pace.

i did the "ridewithgps" which I think basically is exactly the same as "Mapmyride".    

do you have a "Garmin"?  (or whatever it is called)  to automatically log your rides?    

i mapped out my several routes, and at teh end of the week, i just manually add them (and guestimate on the time).

this is my totals for this year, to date... but since i am going to hang it up for the winter over the weekend, this is basically THE final tally

• 10 days, 6 hours total riding
  • 2,375 miles
  • 112,392 feet climbed
  • 65,701 calories burned

the calorie estimate seems to be ALL over the damned place... i'm not sure how they guestimate it

i did the "ridewithgps" which I think basically is exactly the same as "Mapmyride".    

do you have a "Garmin"?  (or whatever it is called)  to automatically log your rides?    

I would be interested in Garmin or something like Nike+ myself. Currently I just use a "computer" on my bike that is like an odometer. It can tell me how fast I am going, current trip miles/length on time, total miles and max speed. I have the mapmyride app, but fail at turning it on.

Mcsluggo, where do you get that type of elevation? I would love some decent hills here. I mainly get wind, and lots of it from Lake Michigan.

i live across the potomac from DC.   THe DC side of my ride is mostly flat, or very gentle slopes... but the virginia side has lots of hills (at least for my patsy legs).   Each year in the spring I feel like i am going to die the first several weeks.  

I live 3.5 miles from work. That commute takes approximately 45 minutes by bus/subway, 30-45 minutes by car and 15 minutes by bike. I try to bike as often as possible.

I live and work in cities that border Boston (north of the Charles) and the traffic is classic Boston: one-ways that make no sense, rotaries, "squares" (confluences of 3-8 different streets) and drivers who are either clueless or sadistic. I've been doing this type of commute for 25 years and have had only a few major accidents, two of which were broken bones (left elbow, left wrist). Otherwise, you bike quickly, keep moving, and control the lane when you reach a crazy intersection.

I love biking to/from work. I add on distance on the way home, so I tend to do about 10 miles a day, which is enough for my old man body.

If there is limited snow and ice I will bike during the winter. Here are the things I'd recommend:

Heavy duty gloves or mittens. I used to have the lobster claw down gloves and they were great.

A skull cap for days above freezing

A balaclava for days below freezing

Compression shirt under a t-shirt

Light waterproof biking pants (kind of like tracksuit pants but a bit more snug)

A light outer shell or jacket

Waterproof shoes/boots that are warm

Lights: I have a cheap Cat's Eye on the front, a cheap red flasher (maybe Planet Bike) on the back, two flashing skull lights on the front, and EL wire (purple) wrapped around the frame. The EL wire is cool because it has three settings: constant, slow flash and fast flash.

My next purchase will be a six-color bundle of EL wires so I can be much more visible at night.

I do have trouble with my lock freezing. Does anyone have a recommendation for that?

I do have trouble with my lock freezing. Does anyone have a recommendation for that?

Try squirting chain lube in the lock, wipe off any excess and let sit over night.

The lights on your frame sound cool. I currently use a Cygolite on the front. It's a bit pricey, but its 500 lumens. I tend to ride in the evenings into dark, much of the ride is through wooded pathways. I had cheaper lite, and it broke mid ride one day. Pretty freaky riding through the woods and hearing strange noises and rustling sounds. Wasn't sure if I heard deer, coyotes, Jason or Big Foot.

• Like 1

I rode down Vail Pass in Colorado on the bike trail to Edwards. It was spring so the streams and rivers were flowing. Even saw a waterfall or two above Vail. It was and amazing ride I highly recommend. Even saw deer and a few hardcore riders going up the hill. 

The gondola at Vail takes bikers and hikers up the mountain during Summer. I did it once with my mountain bike and rode down the mountain. This is another great treat for anyone who has never been to Vail in the summer. Ride down in the morning and have lunch in Vail. 

Try squirting chain lube in the lock, wipe off any excess and let sit over night.

The lights on your frame sound cool. I currently use a Cygolite on the front. It's a bit pricey, but its 500 lumens. I tend to ride in the evenings into dark, much of the ride is through wooded pathways. I had cheaper lite, and it broke mid ride one day. Pretty freaky riding through the woods and hearing strange noises and rustling sounds. Wasn't sure if I heard deer, coyotes, Jason or Big Foot.

how much was your honkin huge headlight?

i have been on the capital crescent trail at night with no lights... and i was CONSTANTLY imagining a branch that had fallen down right to face level, and was about to decapitate me.

i actually started going faster and faster and faster... and freaking out more and more and more... it was was like being on a rollercoaster for the VERY first time as a kid.

Took a nasty spill on Saturday.  Still not sure what I hit, but it threw my front tire hard right and over the edge of the pavement into the gravel, and I overcorrected, which spun me almost straight down and to the left.  No time to get my feet out of the clips.  Luckily the next car on the road was far enough back it had time to stop, but even still had to lock up the brakes.  Not a fun sound to hear lying on the road.

Road rash and bruises.  And a busted front tube.  And bent handle bars.

Still finished my ride after about a 20 minute break to change the tube and catch my breath.

Yikes Kilmer17. That's not a good feeling at all I'd guess. I'm glad to hear you're OK though. Last time I had a spill like that I broke my wrist.

Yohan - thanks for sharing that light info. I might have a look at that. I also have those NiteIze spoke lights and they're good, but I'm also interested in the EL light rigs that go onto your spokes and generate patterns. Does anyone have experience with those?

It's a steady rain here right now. Does anyone have a good rain jacket they'd recommend that doesn't overheat you? I don't give a rat's Hazlett about fashion so whatever works best interests me most. Any suggestions?

So Capital Bikeshare now has 340 stations in the DMV.  I'm seriously thinking of getting a one-year subscription for $75 - I would save at least that much on Metro fares over the course of a year.

Here's a zoomable map of all the stations.  Great coverage in DC:

https://www.capitalbikeshare.com/stations

article_2010_1012_capitalbikeshare.jpg

Took a nasty spill on Saturday.  

Ouch.  Glad it wasn't worse, but I bet you were sore after that.  Hope that's all calmed down.

Edited by Dan T.

Heal quick Kilmer17!

Hung the bike up today for the winter. Starting to get to cold, to windy, and rain/snow is in the forecast. I was hoping to get another week in. Probably won't be able to ride again until April/May, unless Santa brings me one of those Fat Tire bikes. Happy riding!

Heal quick Kilmer17!

Hung the bike up today for the winter. Starting to get to cold, to windy, and rain/snow is in the forecast. I was hoping to get another week in. Probably won't be able to ride again until April/May, unless Santa brings me one of those Fat Tire bikes. Happy riding!

In Wisconsin?   i guess so!!!   brrrrrrrrrr

• 2 months later...

Anyone know of a Cx bike for under 700? It's eithet that or get a 29er and throw some slicks on it.

Nashbar.com has a CX1 Cyclecross for $700. I'm not sure how much assembly is required. I've ordered parts and clothing from them in the past with no problems.

• 1 month later...