Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Cowboys (Final)

NoLeafClover

For the first time in a long time I stayed completely out of this thread, didn't post any tweets and just watched the game. 

Hopefully you enjoyed it given your usual yeoman work here---and you made a great choice staying out of the thread unless you like seeing many ES posters at their worst (imo).

The team's unendurable string of suck notwithstanding, it may have been the most...disgusted...I have been when reading the posting in the gameday thread since I've been here, which is really saying a lot, since that thread is expected to be mainly reactionary and pretty much one big basket-case even in rare good times.

I share the "it's understandable we feel this way with this team" position and have always accepted that even copious venting is fine when not too stupid too often---talking personal opinion here re: actual posted content, not board rules or feelings.

But the pathetic (to me) level of endless whiny & stupid (even if the feelings are justified) of so many of the  "thoughts" posted by a number of posters (especially on refs/calls here for years) is just another form of suck-ass added to suck ass. <_<

Super fun when one feels both the team sucks and much of the fanbase also sucks ass consistently in response. But then going by many of the posts on this site since day one, that does seem to be a popular position for many Redskins fans---"our team and our fanbase sucks."  ^_^

But I'm sure enjoying the hell out of the way that win felt. The good feelings will be fleeting, I fully expect. But it sure makes a difference for right now and at least for a little while.

Now I have to go read all the new threads/posts about how "hey/ maybe we're ok" or "we're turning it around" and how all those players and coaches are so much better than what we were saying they were yesterday. Bipolar-R-Us.  :P

Did you see his block on Andre Robert's big punt return early? There were actually two devastating blocks on that play. I said "Who the ef was that?" Twice. Numbers 47 and 90. I reached for the sports section and neither number was on the roster printed in Monday's Washington Post. Akeem, 47, and Everette Brown, 90, both had booming blocks on that play.

Yes! 

I'm just curious if we can develop him to be anything more than a ST gunner?  I really hope so.  He's got blinding speed and hits like a truck.  He needs to be attached at the hip to Ryan Clark and pick his brain 24/7. 

Watching the highlights, they showed Jerry Jones come over, during the game, and talking to Garrett while he was trying to coach.

He practically stayed by Garrett's side the rest of the game, almost like he was trying to take over. LOL

Yeah I saw it during the game, Jerry needs to stop that and stay up stairs getting mad or happy, get booze Jerry!!

The team's unendurable string of suck notwithstanding, it may have been the most...disgusted...I have been when reading the posting in the gameday thread since I've been here, which is really saying a lot, since that thread is expected to be mainly reactionary and pretty much one big basket-case even in rare good times.

But the pathetic (to me) level of endless whiny & stupid (even if the feelings are justified) of so many of the  "thoughts" posted by a number of posters (especially on refs/calls here for years) is just another form of suck-ass added to suck ass. <_<

Super fun when one feels both the team sucks and much of the fanbase also sucks ass consistently in response. But then going by many of the posts on this site since day one, that does seem to be a popular position for many Redskins fans---"our team and our fanbase sucks."  ^_^

But I'm sure enjoying the hell out of the way that win felt. The good feelings will be fleeting, I fully expect. But it sure makes a difference for right now and at least for a little while.

You're a bit of a mystery to me.  I can't understand how any of this surprises you.  Whiny (to you) and stupid (to you) posts are part of any football message for board for any team, not to mention a team that has been severely lacking in success and good times for what has been effectively a generational stretch here (a few playoff runs notwitstanding). So, to the extent you feel that the fanbase kind of sucks in their response, I can't square that with why you decide to maintain your role.  It kind of goes with the territory, no?  And can we stipulate that anyone who is enough of a fan to consistently post on a football message board given life's other commitments (almost all of which probably rank above posting on football message board) and in accordance with the rules of the board is entitled to be either more positive or more negative in accordance with their personal preferences?

Hopefully you enjoyed it given your usual yeoman work here---and you made a great choice staying out of the thread unless you like seeing many ES posters at their worst (imo).

Yeah I really did. I only drank like three fat tires. And thanks, the Yeoman gig is fun btw. 

I was invited out as well to watch it and declined. I sat on my couch and watched it on my big TV all alone, just as I had back in 2005, albeit a new, better, bigger, slimmer TV, lol. I just knew after last week that the GD thread would be useless exercise in SMDH until my neck broke. I have a propensity to let the stupid bug me and then argue about it, -as if I need to tell you that.

And only a fool argues with a fool, so this time I decided to act upon that grand old saying. Paul Cumberland was right, it wrecks the game experience reading through all the dregs comments. 

I used to have that sig tag line about the GD threads, but hell that didn't work either. 

You're a bit of a mystery to me.  I can't understand how any of this surprises you.  Whiny (to you) and stupid (to you) posts are part of any football message for board for any team, not to mention a team that has been severely lacking in success and good times for what has been effectively a generational stretch here (a few playoff runs notwitstanding). So, to the extent you feel that the fanbase kind of sucks in their response, I can't square that with why you decide to maintain your role.  It kind of goes with the territory, no?  And can we stipulate that anyone who is enough of a fan to consistently post on a football message board given life's other commitments (almost all of which probably rank above posting on football message board) and in accordance with the rules of the board is entitled to be either more positive or more negative in accordance with their personal preferences?

I think it is the overreaction and simple misunderstanding of what is happening on the field, that plus the repetitive, "He sucks" by ten posters in particular. Not particular overall, but overall there will be 10 guys posting the same thing.  

#Redskins HC Jay Gruden: says he made a couple of "rookie mistakes" as HC on the substitution w/ Paulsen/Niles AND not using final TO in reg

Like how many people wanted Paulsen cut? and it ends up it wasn't even his fault.

I think it is the overreaction and simple misunderstanding of what is happening on the field, that plus the repetitive, "He sucks" by ten posters in particular. Not particular overall, but overall there will be 10 guys posting the same thing.  

#Redskins HC Jay Gruden: says he made a couple of "rookie mistakes" as HC on the substitution w/ Paulsen/Niles AND not using final TO in reg

Like how many people wanted Paulsen cut? and it ends up it wasn't even his fault.

I'm not really debating any of it--just think it's odd that if it bothers you so much you'd choose to be a moderator.  Internet message boards and the relative annonymity they provide will always be hotbeds of reactionary and sometimes completely absurd sentiment--but that's also part of fandom for many, many people who hang on every play.

I'm not really debating any of it--just think it's odd that if it bothers you so much you'd choose to be a moderator.  Internet message boards and the relative annonymity they provide will always be hotbeds of reactionary and sometimes completely absurd sentiment--but that's also part of fandom for many, many people who hang on every play.

Yeah I get that. He can't totally bail though, somebody has to do it, if nobody does, everybody will run amok, where does that leave anybody? Maybe he was just blowing off next day steam just like the fans he was talking about during the games? I think the Mods do a great job, perfect, probably not, but surely more than good enough and the best I have seen on a board of fans using anonymity. 

Yeah I really did. I only drank like three fat tires. And thanks, the Yeoman gig is fun btw. 

I was invited out as well to watch it and declined. I sat on my couch and watched it on my big TV all alone, just as I had back in 2005, albeit a new, better, bigger, slimmer TV, lol. I just knew after last week that the GD thread would be useless exercise in SMDH until my neck broke. I have a propensity to let the stupid bug me and then argue about it, -as if I need to tell you that.

And only a fool argues with a fool, so this time I decided to act upon that grand old saying. Paul Cumberland was right, it wrecks the game experience reading through all the dregs comments. 

I used to have that sig tag line about the GD threads, but hell that didn't work either. 

you didn't follow the gameday thread during the game? thats my favorite thing to do! well...during a win. but my routine for games is I watch the game and follow along with the gameday thread the whole way through, the entire time. it does get ugly if we are losing badly or even just losing. but during exciting games it can be fun to read :) last night was the best I've read all season actually. aside from the posters saying "put in cousins after halftime" or "put cousins in after 2 more bad offensive series".

Listen, I like Breeland and don't want to be a buzzkill but lets see him string together a few good games before we start calling him the steal of the draft.

I get that the board and the entire fanbase is DESPERATE for optimism, but as recently as last week people were bashing Breeland as a player not ready and may not ever be. Now he's the steal of the draft?

Yeah I get that. He can't totally bail though, somebody has to do it, if nobody does, everybody will run amok, where does that leave anybody? Maybe he was just blowing off next day steam just like the fans he was talking about during the games? I think the Mods do a great job, perfect, probably not, but surely more than good enough and the best I have seen on a board of fans using anonymity. 

Don't want him to bail--they all do a great job--he just seems way more bothered by negative views than the other mods, IMHO.

Listen, I like Breeland and don't want to be a buzzkill but lets see him string together a few good games before we start calling him the steal of the draft.

I get that the board and the entire fanbase is DESPERATE for optimism, but as recently as last week people were bashing Breeland as a player not ready and may not ever be. Now he's the steal of the draft?

I thought he had been playing pretty well the 2 games prior to Dallas.  But last night he really showed some skills that have me excited because they are difficult to teach.  First few games of the season he was playing ridiculously far off, whether at Haslett's direction or due to his own lack of confidence.  

Dan may not be the perfect owner but at least we are not subjected to seeing him pull stunts like Jerrah does.

After the game, Jones explained what he was doing on the sidelines during the final stages of a huge game. He said he told Garrett that Tony romoSUCKS — who went down with an ugly-looking back injury earlier in the half — was going to come back into the game.

"I told Jason that he would be back in," he said.

Based on Jones' explanation of his conversation, it's unclear whether he was telling Garrett to put romoSUCKS back in the game, or if he was merely telling Garrett that romoSUCKS was ready.

Funniest thing from monday night: I post a lot on FB during Redskins games. ya know, status updates after each big offensive/defensive play, after our defense causing a 3 and out, after a TD, ETC. Monday night two of my friends from my old college posted on one of my fb statuses. one of my friends was like "Lol see I'm not even watching it and I know everything thats been happening tonight". and my other friend was like "I dont have to watch the game because you post everything that goes on". and my sister was like "yeah, who needs a TV when we have you on Facebook? (no joke, i dont have a TV, so thank you)".

:D

Don't want him to bail--they all do a great job--he just seems way more bothered by negative views than the other mods, IMHO.

IMO it isn't about negative views- God knows we've all been given plenty of reasons to pessimistic in recent years- but the unfathomable depth of ignorance that goes into some of the spew. There are a ton of people that post here that couldn't tell a football from a footbath and yet that never seems to stop 'em from pissing all over the gameday thread.

Here's a good tip, if that chicken that plays tic-tac-toe is beating you 2 outta 3 games then maybe STFU should be a large part of your daily regimen (not directed at you, just a general observation yanno), but it seems that an essential element in being dumb (perhaps the crux of the biscuit) is that you just don't get the value of not saying something. I've always tried to live by the adage "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging", but apparently I am in a minority on that one.

skins4eva, on 28 Oct 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

You're a bit of a mystery to me.  I can't understand how any of this surprises you.  

Mystery, eh? My post may have clouded your mind, but despite strong similarities, I really am not The Shadow (or Keyzer Soze).  :lol:

swfl and LD actually did a good job in reply, and I wasn't going to bother, originally, but this is a good example of "people responding to something other than what was actually stated" or when I'm feeling snippy, "hearing the noises already in their head and not what was actually said."

So let's start with your commentary related to "my surprise" (quoted excerpt above).

I didn't say a word about being "surprised."  :) How about that?

Of course I wasn't surprised there were negative posts being well-versed with the board--a Brobdingnagian "duh" on its way to you---nor is there anything in my post that indicates surprise. It's more the opposite.

I even compared the level I was reacting to against a constant I am very familiar with in an environment I am very familiar with and even discussed how regular and expected the dynamic is in that post. Of course one can disagree with my take (what I did actually state) on that level or nature, as it was "just" my view. Sooooo... :huh:

Whiny (to you) and stupid (to you) posts are part of any football message for board for any team, not to mention a team that has been severely lacking in success and good times for what has been effectively a generational stretch here (a few playoff runs notwitstanding). 

The above quote is more gratuitous and (to me) unintentionally (my assumption) condescending piffle, and merits a "duh", or a Captain Obvious smiley. It adds nothing of value and lessens the conversation.

But I will try to work with it and extend it into a point---just in general per the subjectivity of value judgments and it just being "to you" (or me, in this case, ala whiny and stupid) as in so many things per human behavior, yes, it is basically very subjective though most try to balance that within an "objective" reality shared to some extent with many others. We (the societies we live in) share commonalities in definitions and constructs, just as we will have our differences on them, too. Here I am being Captain What Should Be Obvious.

It's ok to say that "whiny" and "stupid" behaviors exist. The words exist in the language and are actually used. We don't have to pretend there is no whiny or stupid here, or that sometimes it's not louder than other times, even if we disagree what it looks like. So yes, I was describing something I see that qualifies as such to me. More obviousness. 

So, to the extent you feel that the fanbase kind of sucks in their response, I can't square that with why you decide to maintain your role.

This reinforced the idea I had when I saw you replied to my post that you may have too much of your view of "me" in your head on this matter (I remember you well enough all the way back from when sol <iheart> was here as a mod---no prob on my end implied).

So here we go again---I did not say "the fanbase kind of sucks in their response." I targeted a type of post. I could address the "why I maintain my role" (until the day I don't) but like most of your comments on this, i think it's superfluous to what I posted (one post) and more about you. Just out of curiosity, whenever anyone complains occasionally to you about something that most folks involved would know or agree (in general) "is real" at their work, or in some invested activity, is your go-to line "why not quit?"

And why would you even be concerned about it? I don't remember ever getting any check-ins before from you on my welfare. Gee, maybe you just don't like something that post stirred in you looking at all this---you were widely identified as one of the darker clouds in older times (always understandable).

Moving on.
And can we stipulate that anyone who is enough of a fan to consistently post on a football message board given life's other commitments (almost all of which probably rank above posting on football message board) and in accordance with the rules of the board is entitled to be either more positive or more negative in accordance with their personal preferences?

I hate to apply the term straw man in general, and even more so here, but you seem to have generated a handful---did all that posturing pap in the above quote serve any intelligent purpose? Did I mention board rules against such, or that anyone's "entitlement" (eye-roll) was being threatened? 

I just vented (I get to vent too) my reaction to a level and profusion (particularly in context to the actual game) of certain types of posts, as detailed.

More of the same. Just to provide some trivia, my presence on staff was strongly lobbied for by the Old Guard. I resisted at first. Similar dynamics have been the case the times I have thought to depart---but it is all my choice, indeed. Other than that, I'd just be repeating what I have already stated on my roleS on ES--member and moderator. You ever have an ongoing role that had pros and cons and you sometimes note each? durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you for the compliment to the staff. I wouldn't want you to bail, either. Don't mistake my bluntness at times in this post for any personal harshness towards you, because none exists. However, aside from all the aspects of you figuring "I'm way more bothered" than other staff, you would have little idea of what the rest of the staff feels about "negative views"(as you use the term) and you're wrong, anyway. :P

Do you notice most mods even posting that much in actual discussion anymore, and for quite some time? You don't. They don't. For some time, it's zoony and I posting all that much anymore---and I;d say "by far." Some of us do go over this forum virtually every day, usually in detail, and we do communicate much among ourselves, especially over time. What you have currently is your unfounded presumptions based on minimal data. That's fine---it's how most of us roll on the internet.  ^_^

The only evidence you'd be able to use to support your speculation is standard access to their posting history and mine, and you have already demonstrated little awareness (or a selective memory) if you don't know how TK and zoony for instance, to name two of the current staff, have many times over the years just blistered posters on this forum (nor should I have to remind you of some previous staff and their proclivities).

Did you ever pose the same questions to them in any of those times as to 'why do they do this task' in all these years? 

I am not intending to "defend" my comments or self, or be defensive. I am interested in really highlighting how your thinking is working on all this-- I made one post that was primarily focused on a specific matter in a specific context. You seem to have projected upon it a lot of misplaced lines of thoughts of your own that are about things beyond that particular post.

To me, this was worth taking the time to do for several reasons. Be well, 4eva.  :)

Yay!!! What a great win!!!  Thank you for not banning me for life :) I have read the rules and will follow from now on. I should have read them before I posted anything... rules have been a life long problem for me... of course the details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it....anyhoo thanks again and HTTR!!

Archived