Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Cowboys (Final)

NoLeafClover

Climb inside the WABAC Machine, everyone, and let's go back to a magical time known as Sept. 19, 2005.

The Washington Redskins were coming off of a 9-7 win over the Chicago Bears at home. But after an abysmal 6-10 season the previous year, pundits weren't expecting much when the team rolled into Dallas for a Monday Night game the following week.

But Santana Moss helped the 'Skins to shock the world by catching two touchdown passes in the final four minutes of the game to lead the team to a narrow 14-13 victory.

That win would be a sign of things to come as the team found a way to go on an improbably five-game winning streak to end the season, which would be just enough to earn them a wildcard spot in the playoffs.

That game was the last time the Redskins won in Dallas on Monday Night. And it feels so long ago now. But it's proof of the power that one high profile win over the Cowboys can bring.

It's safe to say this season is not shaping up the way this team has hoped. No matter how cautious you were in your predictions for this year, you had to expect more than the lackluster, loss-filled season we've been treated to thus far.

But who knows what one win over the Cowboys could do? Like that magical night in 2005, the team is coming off of a narrow victory that is hard to read too much into. But maybe they eke out a victory tonight, igniting the spark that turns the whole season around. It may seem far-fetched, but stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Besides, is there anything better than beating Dallas at home? Even if tonight's game isn't the catalyst for a complete 180, at the very least it would feel amazing to go into the Cowboys' house and beat them. Even if the team didn't win another game this season, a win over Dallas would make it feel like this season wasn't a complete loss.

Will it happen? It feels like a long shot, but I'm certainly not counting the team out. Winning games that they are completely counted out of is basically what this team does best. (Well, that and completely falling apart against inferior opponents.) So it's entirely possible, if they can find a little bit of that 2005 magic.

stripebreak_zpsef454232.gif

Redskins Inactives:

Robert Griffin III
Aldrick Robinson
Greg Ducre
Jackson Jeffcoat
Spencer Long
Tyler Polumbus
Clifton Geathers

8:18 PM - The Cowboys are using the opening few bars to the Requiem for a Dream theme to introduce former players during the intro ... which is an odd choice. I'm guessing they didn't see the movie.

8:22 PM - There are A LOT of empty seats.

8:34 PM - THAT'S HOW YOU START A GAME!!! Three-and-out, ending with a sack.

8:40 PM - Despite starting past the 50-yard line, the 'Skins are forced to settle for a 44-yard field goal. 6 plays, 22 yards, 2 minutes and 29 seconds. 3-0

8:49 PM - I never get tired of watching romoSUCKS get sacked.

8:55 PM - I'm guessing he calls for a fair catch next time. (Great hit by Akeem Davis.)

9:00 PM - Is this real life? The Redskins cause a fumble that gives them the ball in the red zone.

9:01 PM - If they wanted interceptions in the end zone, they would have given Cousins the start.

END OF FIRST QUARTER
3-0

9:12 PM - Another forced fumble? This is like Edge of Tomorrow. The Redskins get to keep doing it until they get it right.

9:27 PM - The Cowboys score. 8 plays, 80 yards, 4 minutes and 18. So after a promising start that included two forced fumbles, the Redskins trail 3-7.

9:46 PM - In case this night wasn't weird enough, the Jumbotron just showed a video of the Cowboys cheerleaders in costume doing the Time Warp.

HALFTIME
3-7

9:05 PM - There's the Alfred Morris I know and love - breaking a 29-yard run.

9:13 PM - And fittingly, it's Morris who gets in for the touchdown. 8 plays, 80 yards, 5 minutes and 9 seconds. And the 'Skins have the lead in the third quarter. 10-7

9:22 PM - romoSUCKS slow to get up after the sack.

9:28 PM - Weeden checks in. I'm betting on a hand off.

9:30 PM - So they do hand off - and get 51-yards on the carry. Ugh.

9:31 PM - We have a tie ball game. 5 plays, 54 yards, 1 minute and 40 seconds. 10-10

9:41 PM - 45-yard pass to Jackson to put the ball on the Cowboys' 8. What a way to end the third quarter.

END OF THIRD QUARTER
10-10

9:45 PM - COLT McCOY ON A QUARTERBACK DRAW! 9 plays, 80 yards, 5 minutes and 25. 17-10

9:55 PM - Jason Witten could not have been more open. 8 plays, 80 yards, 4 minutes and 11 seconds. 17-17

10:05 PM - Tony romoSUCKS is warming up on the sidelines and the Redskins might go for it on fourth down. My heart might explode.

10:11 PM - A delay of game penalty and a sack put the 'Skins out of field goal range with two minutes left. And romoSUCKS is on deck. This'll be interesting.

END OF REGULATION
17-17

10:35 PM - Forbath with a 40-yarder to give the 'Skins 3. 9 plays, 58 yards, 5 minutes and 17 seconds. Once again, it's all up to the D. 20-17

Photos

For photos, click here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/sets/72157648601007259/

My Take

It's amazing what a win can do.

In the intro to this thread, I talked about the "Monday Night Miracle," which was the last time the Redskins won in Dallas on Monday Night. That game helped propel the team to a wildcard playoff spot and an opening round win.

While it's too soon to make those sort of predictions now, there definitely is now room for optimism in a season that seemed over before it began. Suddenly, after two Colt McCoy wins, the team is just two games away from .500. Two winnable games, especially if the team plays like they did this week.

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself. Whatever the future brings, it was just nice to watch the team win. I haven't been that excited watching the Redskins since RGIII's debut in New Orleans. That moment of pure joy when the Redskins kicked the field goal in overtime and then stopped the Cowboys is one I think we've all longed to feel for quite some time now.

This was also one of the most entertaining games the team has played in some time. The offense, defense and - most shockingly - special teams all rose to the occasion. The Redskins didn't shock an underperforming Cowboys team. Both teams gave it their all and the Redskins came out on top.

Colt McCoy finished the day 25-of-30 passes for 299 yards and a 94.3 passer rating. In games that he's started, his 83.3 percent completion percentage was the highest of his career. It's a completion percentage that puts him in Tom Brady and Peyton Manning territory.

The defense amped up the pressure early and often. The Cowboys passed on third down 11 times and every single time the Redskins blitzed.

Brandon Meriweather finished the day with career-high two sacks and two forced fumbles, as well as a fumble recovery and seven solo tackles.

Meriweather's recovery came on a fumble forced by cornerback Bashaud Breeland, who has become a bit of a folk hero following the game, with fans going so far as to declare it "Bashaud Breeland Day." The young cornerback also recorded six tackles and four passes defended and he certainly deserves all of the credit he is getting.

But beyond the stats and the thoughts of the future, this was just a fun win, something we haven't had enough of lately. So go enjoy it. And taunt a Cowboy's fan ... if you can find them.

I have decided that all my pregame rituals don't work, tonight I'm just going to make my Rum and Coke and forgo the 20 foot garden hose the 12 foot step ladder, the 3 gallons of Wesson Oil, the 9 rail road ties and the case of brillo pads.

Nice birthday :)

That game was the last time the Redskins won on Monday Night. And it feels so long ago now. But it's proof of the power that one high profile win over the Cowboys can bring.

Our last MNF win was at FedEx against the Giants in 2012 in the middle of the 7-game run.

Archived