Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Every year big names fall like rocks and then when they're finally picked, everyone goes on and on about what a value they were, steal of the draft, "that is SUCH a Ravens pick", etc. Those guys do nothing a large percentage of the time. Sometimes they do work out and it's puzzling why they even fell in the first place. But the vast majority of the time....they fell for a reason. But they're the names we know and have seen mocked high, so we can't move on from that perception in the moment.

Those types of "obvious falling big name player" picks severely color all post-draft grades/analysis.

I actually liked the draft . I don't expect all of these guys to make the roster let alone start. If you are looking in the 6th round for starters then you are likely going to be disappointed .

One theme in all the players is determination . Schreff looks like a monster even if he washes out at rt he will be a top guard but if he does fail it won't be due to effort.

Preston Smith another high effort guy . I am sure there are some who would have preferred Gregory but pot is just as important in his life as football ...

Jones is the type of back the dr ordered ..reminiscent of Marrion Barber but at last a back who might offer something in pass protection and short yardage ... Could get some looks at FB.

Kouandjio an Reiter put others on the roster on notice and they represent a different attitude . Time will tell if they crack the line up and it is good to see a GM who wants to feed the line .

Jarref,Mitchell and Spenser have special teams written all over them. That is all they may ever be but it given how bad that unit has been it might be no bad thing if that is how things turn out . From their point of view it is an opportunity and really how far they get in the NFL is dependent on how hard they want it .

Crowder to me is a guy who replaces moss on the roster if he works out undersized and not a finished product but bags of potential .

Finally Spaight might be my favorite pick . A late bloomer who can be a reserve/special teams player this season and move ahead of Riley when he is ready and really make the ilb a strength ....

Point is time will tell. None of these players have set foot on the field, no massive red flags in terms of injury or substance problems but really anything can happen . It is fair to critsize but I think there was a definite plan in place and it will be interesting to see how this pans out

I actually liked the draft . I don't expect all of these guys to make the roster let alone start. If you are looking in the 6th round for starters then you are likely going to be disappointed .

One theme in all the players is determination . Schreff looks like a monster even if he washes out at rt he will be a top guard but if he does fail it won't be due to effort.

Preston Smith another high effort guy . I am sure there are some who would have preferred Gregory but pot is just as important in his life as football ...

Jones is the type of back the dr ordered ..reminiscent of Marrion Barber but at last a back who might offer something in pass protection and short yardage ... Could get some looks at FB.

Kouandjio an Reiter put others on the roster on notice and they represent a different attitude . Time will tell if they crack the line up and it is good to see a GM who wants to feed the line .

Jarref,Mitchell and Spenser have special teams written all over them. That is all they may ever be but it given how bad that unit has been it might be no bad thing if that is how things turn out . From their point of view it is an opportunity and really how far they get in the NFL is dependent on how hard they want it .

Crowder to me is a guy who replaces moss on the roster if he works out undersized and not a finished product but bags of potential .

Finally Spaight might be my favorite pick . A late bloomer who can be a reserve/special teams player this season and move ahead of Riley when he is ready and really make the ilb a strength ....

Point is time will tell. None of these players have set foot on the field, no massive red flags in terms of injury or substance problems but really anything can happen . It is fair to critsize but I think there was a definite plan in place and it will be interesting to see how this pans out

Arie has massive red flags for multiple knee surgeries. His agility drills were also beyond poor. Of all the picks I think I like that one the least.

It is a fifty/fifty comparison for Aldon and Preston Smith.  I think they have similar frames and measurables.  Which they do.

My 50% was more based on the fact they were both called Smith but had different forenames..............

Arie has massive red flags for multiple knee surgeries. His agility drills were also beyond poor. Of all the picks I think I like that one the least.

I actually did mean to exclude him in that statement but I did not want to try and spell his name again ... :). Like you he is the guy I like the least in this first SM draft

Every year big names fall like rocks and then when they're finally picked, everyone goes on and on about what a value they were, steal of the draft, "that is SUCH a Ravens pick", etc. Those guys do nothing a large percentage of the time. Sometimes they do work out and it's puzzling why they even fell in the first place. But the vast majority of the time....they fell for a reason. But they're the names we know and have seen mocked high, so we can't move on from that perception in the moment.

Those types of "obvious falling big name player" picks severely color all post-draft grades/analysis.

Well, most of the players that get drafted don't work out. So it's not necessarily a unique situation for the highly touted guys that drop. I find it's mainly two things that make the highly touted guys fall: medical issues and character issues. A third thing would be small size, but that's less common IMO, because those types of players are less likely to be highly rated in their initial evaluations. Sometimes we know how serious the character and medical issues are and their falls make sense. Other times, we don't really know and we tear our hair out for our team to draft the guy and get frustrated when we repeatedly pass them over.

In 2010 there were three highly touted players that ended up being successful, that dropped, and that I was really high on prior to the draft: Arthur Jones, Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez. Jones and Gronkowski obviously dropped because of serious medical concerns. Hernandez's drop was a mystery unless you were really tuned in to the Florida program. Dude was an obvious first round talent and made an immediate impact. And then it turns out he's a serial murderer with gang ties going back to before he was at Florida.

Point being, I agree with your overall point. Teams do their homework and there is usually a good reason when the highly touted prospects drop. Teams are doing complicated risk management calculations with their picks and very rarely do teams now just "miss" on good talents Jerry Rice style. Sometimes the prospects beat the odds like Jones and Gronk, but it's more often the case with any prospect that they don't. Properly weighing risk is probably one of the hardest things in the draft process to get right. And we from our couches have sooooo much less info on the medical and character stuff so we're shooting in the dark when we talk about that kind of stuff.

Eh, he went back to Alabama for his senior year to prove his durability and I think he did. And he said that report about him failing team physicals was a lie and that no team gave him any indication of problems they had with his physical.

This kid is good. Better than Tre' Jackson and a lot of other guards that got picked ahead of him. You can chart most of his games and not find a single negative play, he was super clean on the field. You can't know when or if he'll get reinjured, and that's how it is with any prospect. His increased risk of medical issues got taken into account with where we drafted him. The dude is a second round or early third round talent that we got in the fourth because of the knee. We did do proper risk assessment with the pick.

Eh, he went back to Alabama for his senior year to prove his durability and I think he did. And he said that report about him failing team physicals was a lie and that no team gave him any indication of problems they had with his physical.

This kid is good. Better than Tre' Jackson and a lot of other guards that got picked ahead of him. You can chart most of his games and not find a single negative play, he was super clean on the field. You can't know when or if he'll get reinjured, and that's how it is with any prospect. His increased risk of medical issues got taken into account with where we drafted him. The dude is a second round or early third round talent that we got in the fourth because of the knee. We did do proper risk assessment with the pick.

A lot of teams flagged him steve over long term durability. 

He raises a genuine concern there. 

Hail. 

The players we want drafted are more often those names we hear publicized by people not employed as scouts.  So when we see them drop we think theres a value there.  Sometimes there is, but more often they drop because they just arent as good.  That also goes for those players who get drafted and we go "Huh"?  Lets face it, somewhere, at some point on the internet you can find a mock draft that will give you grade grades on terrible players and terrible grades on good players.  95% of them are just making up BS and pretending they know anything.

Since Dr. James Andrews is a team doctor and professor at Alabama I'm not too worried about his knee issues.  I'm sure he wouldve advised the Skins to take him off their board if they were serious.

If and when Collins clears his name would that not trigger a bidding war for him? Do UDFAs have a salary scale? I thought as a general rule they got the cba minimum but teams can up it if they want? If that's the case someone will pay him this year, again if cleared.

If and when Collins clears his name would that not trigger a bidding war for him? Do UDFAs have a salary scale? I thought as a general rule they got the cba minimum but teams can up it if they want? If that's the case someone will pay him this year, again if cleared.

There's a wage scale even for USDFA. They can't make more than yhr last pick in the draft. You can do a few things with guaranteed money and signing bonuses, but not a ton.

I don't know if I'd call him a 2nd round talent, he's not as talented as his brother (who I wasn't high on last year). His agility drills were unusually poor, so I'm kinda curious as to why. Is he still playing hurt or is he as stiff as the draft profile says?

I'm curious why clemmings dropped so much. Do teams fear foot issues more than knee? I mean the nice thing is arie is well polished, so could immediately compete with our guards, but clemmings has elite athleticism and a mean streak. I don't see how that kid won't outplay his draft position unless the foot really is that bad.

• 3 months later...

Archived