Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

If Long/Moses don't make significant progress by the end of the year, I hope they don't prevent us from going OL when there are great prospects on the board.

Something like one of Peat/Scherff/Ogbuehi in the the top-8, and then someone like Cann at the top of the 2nd.

Then Moses can develop at his own speed to be our backup swing OT/3rd OT in power run formations, and Long can still fight for the other OG spot.

It's truly about player development. If you want to look at things rosily, then here you go:

From 2014:

2. Trent Murphy --- starting OLB (Orakpo walks)

3. Morgan Moses --- starting RT

3. Spencer Long --- Starting RG

4. Bashaud Breeland --- #3 CB

5. Ryan Grant --- #4 WR

6. Lache Seastrunk --- GONE

7. Ted Bolser --- GONE

7. Zach Hocker --- GONE

2013:

2. David Amerson --- #2 CB

3. Jordan Reed --- #1 TE

4. Phillip Thomas --- GONE

5. Chris Thompson --- PS

5. Brandon Jenkins --- GONE

6. Bacarri Rambo --- GONE

7. Jawan Jamison --- GONE

2012:

1. Robert Griffin III --- #1 QB

3. Josh LeReibus --- OL Depth

4. Kirk Cousins --- #2 QB

4. Keenan Robinson --- Starting ILB

5. Adam Gettis --- GONE

6. Alfred Morris --- Starting RB

6. Tom Compton --- OL Depth

7. Richard Crawford --- #5 CB

7. Jordan Bernstine --- GONE

So looking at how we've drafted the last few years (god, 2013 was awful). Here is who I want to see step up the rest of this year and play a role in 2015. Trent Murphy, Bashaud Breeland, Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, Josh LeReibus, Tom Compton, Ryan Grant

Keenan Robinson, David Amerson, Alfred Morris, RGIII, Jordan Reed --- these all speak for themselves. They're all already key contributors in one way or another and should be more than relied upon next year, too.

To me, heading into the 2015 off-season ... I'll feel much better if we can establish the right side of the line behind Long and Moses ... if Murphy can establish himself as Rak's replacement ... and if Breeland and Amerson continue to improve as potential 1-2 or 2-3 CBs for he long-term. If ALL these things matriculate ... my needs this off-season become:

1. Starting SS

2. Starting FS

3. #1 CB

4. Starting NT or DE depending on system

5. OLB Depth/Starters (Regardless of defensive formation ... Murphy/Kerrigan only ones on roster for next year in 34 and questions over who can play OLB in 43)

6. OL Depth --- assuming Compton and LeReibus can develop and push for starting roles, I'm okay with them as depth.

7. OC --- Lichtensteiger has played pretty well, but it couldn't hurt to draft a young guy to groom.

I think you're making a huge mistake in assuming that LeRibeus, Moses or Long are starters. Or even Compton.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying they can't be. But I am saying that I think you would have seen more of them by now if they were ready. They are still very developmental. Assuming that they can start based on the fact that they're young is a mistake. Every year we don't solidify the line is another year we toil in mediocrity.

It's truly about player development. If you want to look at things rosily, then here you go:

2013:

2. David Amerson --- #2 CB

3. Jordan Reed --- #1 TE

4. Phillip Thomas --- GONE

5. Chris Thompson --- PS

5. Brandon Jenkins --- GONE

6. Bacarri Rambo --- GONE

7. Jawan Jamison --- GONE

So looking at how we've drafted the last few years (god, 2013 was awful). 

Wait...2013 was 'Awful'. We had no 1st and while we missed in rounds 5-7 (Most miss anyway) I think we nailed 2 and 3 while 4 is up in the air. If you can find a legit starting corner in the 2nd then you've hit. I think Amerson is being underrated in this board. How can you expect a 20 y/o rookie who was a 3rd/4th corner to become the #1 corner next to a rookie in his 2nd year and not have some bumps...

We also snagged Reed in the 3rd and believe he's clearly a top 10 TE and on the fast track to top 5 (Gronk, J. Thomas, J. Graham....maybe V. Davis, Ertz, Cameron, Olson)

And Phillip Thomas is not "Gone". I think he surprises people by the end of this year. He is a an in the box SS that makes good plays on the ball (But not the reaction time/speed for FS).

Am I missing something on 4th round pick being up in the air? Isn't Thomas gone? Or on the PS?

Two years in and your 4th round pikc hasn't seen the field ... your 3rd round pick has shown signs of being a dominant TE WHEN HEALTHY and your 2nd round CB has been good at best and suspect at worst.

"all we did was miss on 5-7 round picks" ... those are the picks you MUST hit on to be successful. Those are depth and guys that fight for starting spots. you NEED to hit on those guys...

@KDawg ... I am making huge assumptions with those OL but I'm just stating that as the best-case given that we have 10 more games to play and plenty of time to see what we have in them. I'm not looking at LeReibus or Compton to be starters by any means, just quality depth. Ideally a line of Williams - Lavao - Lichtensteiger - Long - Moses would be nice, if they pan out. Draft a C for depth and maybe a vet FA to back up and push Moses

@JamesMadisonSkins, why do you discount the importance of UDFAs on this roster?

Silas Redd - backup RB

Greg Ducre - backup CB

Jackson Jeffcoat - backup OLB

Tress Way - P

William Compton - backup ILB

Trent Robinson - backup S

Chase Minnifield - backup CB

Duke Ihenacho - backup S

The fact that Will Compton started against Arizona and played well may mean that he'll get more playing time as the season goes on and he'll have a chance to take over that role. That'll mean we got 3 starters out of that draft/UDFA period.

I don't understand how people could advocate taking a QB? We realize what our issues are yet we continue yearning for positions that are of no use right now. Drafting a QB and ignoring the OL or pass rush will only continue our struggles. Mariota fixes nothing here. If we end up with the first pick than we need to move down and take Gregory, Peat, Scherff or Williams.

I agree. To me it's just about best player available. Would Mariota be an upgrade over RG3? Who knows. However like I mentioned, we could then trade RG3 for some more picks. Or trade that first overall pick for a bundle.

Point is that we need help everywhere. Literally every position needs an upgrade other than maybe running back and wide receiver.

I still think safety and cornerback is the biggest need, followed by OG/RT.

UGH....Can't believe I'm posting about the 2015 draft in October of 2014....shoot me please...

1. Safety

2. Corner

3. LB

4. O Line

5. O Line

6. O Line

7. O Line

Catching my drift...hopefully all of those guys play on the Right side of the OLine.

Am I missing something on 4th round pick being up in the air? Isn't Thomas gone? Or on the PS?

He is on the PS, unless he's been released and I missed it.  I remember Gruden stating he and CT were placed on the PS to see if they can stay healthy before he considers them for the active roster.  PT keeps getting decent reviews when he is on the field, so I would love to see if he can stay healthy and contribute.

I guess I somehow missed this. I'm pretty much done waiting for PT to get healthy, but I was always hopeful on his potential. Maybe you factor him in as a back-up or depth issue next year along with some of the other younger Safeties, but I can't see us relying on him to start. Just too many question marks and a position that HAS to be addressed.

Wait...2013 was 'Awful'. We had no 1st and while we missed in rounds 5-7 (Most miss anyway) I think we nailed 2 and 3 while 4 is up in the air. If you can find a legit starting corner in the 2nd then you've hit. I think Amerson is being underrated in this board. How can you expect a 20 y/o rookie who was a 3rd/4th corner to become the #1 corner next to a rookie in his 2nd year and not have some bumps...

We also snagged Reed in the 3rd and believe he's clearly a top 10 TE and on the fast track to top 5 (Gronk, J. Thomas, J. Graham....maybe V. Davis, Ertz, Cameron, Olson)

And Phillip Thomas is not "Gone". I think he surprises people by the end of this year. He is a an in the box SS that makes good plays on the ball (But not the reaction time/speed for FS).

I agree with you. A class that gets us two players as good as I think Amerson and Reed can be is solid. Generally, getting two or three long term contributors makes a good draft class. Especially when you don't have a first round selection.

And it's worth pointing out that draft happened right before a regime change. Good prospects get lost in regime changes.

I agree with you. A class that gets us two players as good as I think Amerson and Reed can be is solid. Generally, getting two or three long term contributors makes a good draft class. Especially when you don't have a first round selection.

And it's worth pointing out that draft happened right before a regime change. Good prospects get lost in regime changes.

Agree on that, Jenkins was more or less our backup plan for orakpo until the new regime decided to draft another guy in the 2nd last year. Jamison and Thompson were both promising but expendable.

I can't get myself to post in any other thread at the moment because they all lead to the same thing, doom and gloom about the current state of our team so I will just focus on the future already.  I have like 10 drafts in threads and they are all just sitting there because it's just not worth it lol... 

I am of the mind, like many others, we need to worry about O line first and foremost.  The league is clearly moving towards offense being the obvious side that matters more, and offensive units remain unified longer than defensive units do at this point.  Seattle already looks "ordinary" a mere 1 year after their self proclaimed "all time great defense," whereas a top offense pretty much remains a top offense until the QB drops off.  Because of that, I want 2 out of our first 3 picks to be O line, not to mention any additional boosting in FA if the situation is right.  Honestly, I think Moses can just be our backup swing guy, and Long can perhaps crack the starting lineup somewhere, but we better not neglect the O line because of those picks.  The round 2 or 3 O line pick will just hopefully go in any of the 3 interior spots that Long doesn't develop into (again, that's not a sure thing either.) A round 2 or 3 guard/center could still be penciled in as a starter unlike a Moses type developmental tackle, so I would really like for that to happen as well.

It seems like there are more than just 1 "top" o lineman in this draft, and I really hope we take one.  Also, given the last time with the Okung vs. Williams situation, where we took the "upset" pick of the 2 at the time, but since they've both been in the league we got the better one, I'll trust any of them.  I just want a top O lineman so we aren't a roster of 1 true good lineman and 4 nobodys, that's just idiotic at this point.

I know we have holes on D, but 2014 started the basketfootball era, where the rules have clearly made it so the offense is the better of the 2 sides to improve if it's a 50/50 situation. We have horrendous holes at both, so I take offense.

Just like the NFC west building their teams like eachother to fight each other, I think we need to do the same with the Cowboys and Eagles both having (when healthy) tremendous O lines.

I am always willing to change my mind, and make it known publicly, so I will have to look deeper at some of these defensive prospects to see if they would be worth it.

I am assuming we end up with a top 10 pick at the moment of course.

@PartyPosse ... I've seen Danny Shelton going anywhere from late 1st to 2nd round. Lot of time for that to change, of course.

The debate over the defensive shift was pretty lengthy this off-season. I know the sentiment was that we had the pieces to shift to make it work, but I'm not sure how that applies going forward with Hatcher as our DE and Orakpo gone. For me, the confusion comes with the ILB->OLB shift, etc.

DE: Kerrigan, Murphy, Jeffcoat (FA)

DT: Hatcher, Baker, Jenkins (FA)

OLB: Robinson

MLB: Riley, Compton

As I see it now, that's 9 pieces that could shift to fit the 4-3. We would need another OLB, OLB Depth, and a couple rotational DL. This is, of course, assuming Stephen Bowen ($8m) and Barry Cofield ($7m) are released, and Jenkins and Jeffcoat brought back on the cheap.

I'm a bit torn with Safety. It's such a hit or miss position, but other teams have appeared to be able to handle fixing it through inexpensive free agent additions or mid round picks. We have utterly failed in both cases in the last 3-4 years. So the only other option left is to draft a 1st round safety, which in our case would be a high 1st unless we trade down ... but I'm not sure that's the best choice either.

A franchise RT, DL or CB would be the best pick in the early 1st. Again, if you can trade back, great. But as much as it sounds like Collins is the real deal, I just have a hard time spending such a high pick on a position that, typically, you can skate by with mid round picks or inexpensive free agents (relatively). I just think the fan base is traumatized to the point that we would go back to the Top 10 to get a safety ala Taylor/Landry, but not sure that's wise given the holes elsewhere.

Traditionally you can get a top safety in the mid to late first round. If we are dead set on getting a first round safety, I would prefer that we trade back in the 1st, get some extra picks and grab one ... or trade back once, and use the pick to move back up into the 1st to get one.

Example. Trade from 4 to 10, get a 2nd and 4th. Draft a RT at 10 ... use 3rd rounder to pair with OUR 2nd rounder and get back into the late first to get our safety. Still have a mid-2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th to fill in elsewhere. Something along those lines ... rather than spend a #4 on a Safety.

I'm a bit torn with Safety. It's such a hit or miss position, but other teams have appeared to be able to handle fixing it through inexpensive free agent additions or mid round picks. We have utterly failed in both cases in the last 3-4 years. So the only other option left is to draft a 1st round safety, which in our case would be a high 1st unless we trade down ... but I'm not sure that's the best choice either.

I don't think the process is flawed as much as the wrong players were selected.

How many top ten safeties have lived up to their draft status and/or ended up playing for good teams?

Eric Berry? Has he lived up to his draft status?

For me to pick a safety as high as we'll be picking, he would have to be so thoroughly BPA that he'd stand head and shoulders above the next available tier of players. He'd probably have to be that good just to be a quality day one starter at the S position.

I'd try and fill safety through FA and later draft picks like almost everyone else does and target one of these big time linemen instead.

Landon Collins MIGHT be in that elite class ala Eric Berry, Laron Landry, Sean Taylor (as far as pre-draft expectations). But he could just as easily fall back into the Deone Buchannon, Eric Reid territory of the last couple years ... which is somewhere from the 18 to mid-2nd round range. I have NO problem selecting a play-making safety in that range, but we'd have to get back in that range to make it happen.

OT in early 1st and Safety in early 2nd would work ... but trading back from top 5 to mid 1st ... getting a 2nd and 3rd in the process ... could allow us to draft a Safety in the 1st ... have two 2nds to get a Tackle and CB and a couple thirds to get a DL and LB ... or any mix of those players.

Then again, we could sign a #1 CB and a stud RT in free agency and this all becomes moot. Plenty of time for needs to change and players to rise and fall. So at this point, in my mind, the only good these discussions do are generate some targets we could focus on in the draft ... and play around with the idea of trading back and accumulating picks.

I have a feeling we'll end up in the 4-12 to 5-11 range and pick between 5 and 8. That should still be high enough to get a stud, somewhere ... or try to move back 5-6 picks and get an extra 2nd or 3rd and target someone a little lower, if we have multiple targets and needs.

Best case scenario, as stated, is that Moses steps up and takes over at RT and plays well ... and Spencer Long steps in for Chester at RG and solidifies himself as a long-term starter. Even better-case scenario is Phillip Thomas can get healthy and get a crack at the roster. If he can show us something, that would be nice.

Archived